PDA

View Full Version : Would Dwight Howard be a 2nd option for the Lakers

G-Funk
01-18-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm not saying that he might be traded nor did I say that I want him on the Lakers. I just want to know if Dwight Howard would be a 2nd or 3rd option If he played for the Lakers? IMO he would be a 3rd option behind Kobe and Gasol, thoughts?

Chronz
01-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Phil Jacksons dream come true, to have his next dennis rodman. Dwight scores 15PPG as a Laker simply from penetration and putbacks on 70% shooting.

TheKing23
01-18-2010, 04:53 PM
3rd behind Kobe and Pau.

Storch
01-18-2010, 04:54 PM
He would be the 4th option behind kobe gasol and artest. And whenever Fisher decides that he's going to take the shot and screw the entire offensive hierarchy.

laboy09
01-18-2010, 04:56 PM
No Dwight is not a option for the Lakers they would have to give up 2 or 3 players for him so no not happening or even going through the Lakers minds. I do like the idea of getting Chris bosh for Bynum but I like this for the reason for the Lakers to be even more athletic .

G-Funk
01-18-2010, 04:56 PM
That's crazy that Howard is top 7 in the league and can't even be a first option.

G-Funk
01-18-2010, 04:57 PM
No Dwight is not a option for the Lakers they would have to give up 2 or 3 players for him so no not happening or even going through the Lakers minds. I do like the idea of getting Chris bosh for Bynum but I like this for the reason for the Lakers to be even more athletic .

This is not a trade thread.

ko8e24
01-18-2010, 04:58 PM

lol, read the opening post of the thread before u go on with ur ranting. G-Funk already said that he's not saying that the lakers should trade for him or this or that and all that stuff.

lol, calm down

laboy09
01-18-2010, 04:59 PM
This is not a trade thread.

Says who?

G-Funk
01-18-2010, 05:00 PM
says who?

Me

laboy09
01-18-2010, 05:01 PM
lol, read the opening post of the thread before u go on with ur ranting. G-Funk already said that he's not saying that the lakers should trade for him or this or that and all that stuff.

lol, calm down

I am calm but I was just given a more realistic option

ShockerArt
01-18-2010, 05:03 PM
He would be 3rd behind Kobe and Gasol, and no one would ever score on the Lakers.

G-Funk
01-18-2010, 05:05 PM
^ Teams will as long as Fisher is the starter.

azkarraga
01-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Third option.

azkarraga
01-18-2010, 05:07 PM
But what a third option!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-18-2010, 05:16 PM
no he would be 4th option

behind kobe, pau and fisher yes fisher he's jacking up shots like marbury in his prime

Wilson
01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Absolutely not. On the inside he just doesn't have as much to go to as Pau does. He would be the third option, but he'd still get points from Pau's passing and from offensive rebounds.

RocketsRule
01-18-2010, 05:42 PM
That's crazy that Howard is top 7 in the league and can't even be a first option.

Shows you how good his defense and rebounding is. Arguably the best in the league in both areas.

ManRam
01-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Offensively, he'd be the 3rd or possibly 4th option.

ThuglifeJ
01-18-2010, 05:48 PM
hes a top 7 player cuz his defense/rebounding/athletic madness/size

I'd make him 4th option behind Kobe, Gasol, Odom or Artest.
Maybe 3rd..

but that's one hell of a 3rd or 4th option.

Avenged
01-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Dwight Howard. Would teams even score in the paint? :speechless:

ko8e24
01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Dwight Howard. Would teams even score in the paint? :speechless:

hate to burst ur bubble, but i think this thread is predicated upon if the lakers had dwight instead of bynum. G-Funk is asking what would then be the pecking order of offensive touches/options etc.

Avenged
01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
hate to burst ur bubble, but i think this thread is predicated upon if the lakers had dwight instead of bynum. G-Funk is asking what would then be the pecking order of offensive touches/options etc.

Still a pretty big line up! would teams even score in the paint minus Bynum? since Dwight is far superior on defense :p

ARMIN12NBA
01-18-2010, 06:01 PM
I am calm but I was just given a more realistic option

He isn't asking about "realistic options." He is asking that if Dwight Howard were on the Lakers, where would he be on the offensive totem pole. Or, which option would he be in the offensive hierarchy.

macc
01-18-2010, 06:05 PM

Its sad that some NBA fans don't see a players true impact on a game. I understand alot of NBA fans like to see the "pretty" dunks and highlights on espn but defense is just as important as offense. Howard is a top 5 player because of his defense. Players who can score 20+ points a game are a dime a dozen. That's not a rare find. To find a guy who can get you 20 pts and 20 rebounds, 5 blocks any given night is not only rare but it's special. watch a Magic game. Alot of your slasher hesitate to slash because they are affraid of getting blocked.

Its about somones "impact" on a game. A true NBA fan knows this.

That's the sad thing about todays' NBA fan. People are soo hung up on box scores that thats all they rely on when defining a player. A box score isn't going to tell you the whole story, hense the reason people "watch" the games.

Howard the anchor on defense and it affects everyone elses play. Orlando has been a great defensive team since he got there.

Look at Amare Staudimire. Great offensive talent but doesn't have much defense and is an average rebounder for his size. Hense the reason noone calls him "elite" and questions if he's even worth a max contract. Think about that for a min....

tr4shb0t
01-18-2010, 06:16 PM
True one of D12's best assets is his defense. I mean the league had to foul him out of every game last ECF just so Lebron could score. He has a great defensive presence and dominance in the paint.

Offensively, if he were on the Lakers he would be a 3rd option. Although even Bynum has a better shooting touch than him.

ManRam
01-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Macc makes really good points. He'd be the second best player, but that doesn't mean he's the second option. When I think of ordering players in term of options, I think offensive. Offensively, he'd be probably the third guy they would be concerned with getting shots...maybe even 4. He'd be behind Pau and Kobe without a doubt. Those two would be the focal points of the offense still.

mikantsass
01-18-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm not saying that he might be traded nor did I say that I want him on the Lakers. I just want to know if Dwight Howard would be a 2nd or 3rd option If he played for the Lakers? IMO he would be a 3rd option behind Kobe and Gasol, thoughts?

your opinion is correct. Kobe and Pau are LIGHTYEARS ahead of Dwight on the offensive end

mlisica19
01-18-2010, 06:50 PM
I dont think the Lakers should get Dwight... they are obviouslt interested in getting one o the worlds best big men but hes too slow for the Lakers. Hes too down low, the Lakers like to keep it moving... Get Chris Bosh if you can...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-18-2010, 07:04 PM
I dont think the Lakers should get Dwight... they are obviouslt interested in getting one o the worlds best big men but hes too slow for the Lakers. Hes too down low, the Lakers like to keep it moving... Get Chris Bosh if you can...

Wrong thread

itsripcity32
01-18-2010, 07:04 PM
who cares? he aint gonna be a laker.

loufor2
01-18-2010, 07:13 PM
who cares...He's not on the lakers and never will be.

G-Funk
01-18-2010, 07:27 PM
who cares...He's not on the lakers and never will be.

I didin't know we had prophets in this forum, do you mind telling us who's winning the tittle?

DRkidd88
01-18-2010, 07:32 PM
dwight cant score

xbrackattackx
01-18-2010, 07:38 PM
I think that would be amazinggg, And G-funk never said Andrew would not be there...So I'm gonna think he would be and Pau,D Howard, and Andrew would be crazy Down low. Just think when it was Odom,Andrew and Howard that would be a nightmare.

Avenged
01-18-2010, 09:26 PM
I think that would be amazinggg, And G-funk never said Andrew would not be there...So I'm gonna think he would be and Pau,D Howard, and Andrew would be crazy Down low. Just think when it was Odom,Andrew and Howard that would be a nightmare.

Exactly what I tried to say, but someone had to burst my bubble. :laugh2:

Raph12
01-19-2010, 02:56 AM
He looked unstoppable against LA tonight, he ate Gasol and Bynum, too bad they stopped going to him in the second half.

To answer the question, he'd be the third option because Gasol's game is so much more mature at this point. But after playing with Gasol in practise and training with Kareem, he would quickly become the second option and then slowly the first when Kobe's game starts to decline.

tr4shb0t
01-19-2010, 03:08 AM
He looked unstoppable against LA tonight, he ate Gasol and Bynum, too bad they stopped going to him in the second half.

To answer the question, he'd be the third option because Gasol's game is so much more mature at this point. But after playing with Gasol in practise and training with Kareem, he would quickly become the second option and then slowly the first when Kobe's game starts to decline.

true he seemed to get fewer touches in the 2nd, but he was only unstoppable in the first half because bynum picked up 2 touch fouls when the game started.

Ovratd1up
01-19-2010, 03:32 AM
He's gotta wait in line. He'd be behind Kobe, Gasol, Artest, Mbenga, Bynum, probably Odom.

Raph12
01-19-2010, 03:42 AM
true he seemed to get fewer touches in the 2nd, but he was only unstoppable in the first half because bynum picked up 2 touch fouls when the game started.

Gasol usually does a better job on Howard than Bynum anyways; Dwight scored 12 pts against both of them, against Bynum he was 6 of 8 from the field, against Gasol he was 4 of 6 from the field and 4 of 6 from the line.

On another note, Dwight locked down Gasol as soon as Bynum went out, limited him to contested jumpers.

ldc62
01-19-2010, 04:14 AM
The way the magic are playing... hes not even the first option on his team. Doesn't he only take like 9. shots a game?

_KB24_
01-19-2010, 04:16 AM
Kobe and Dwight would be a lite version of the greatest DUO of all time. Definitely the second option. I'm hoping that Dwight coming to LA is a serious possibility, follow the footsteps of Shaq young fella!

Hellcrooner
01-19-2010, 04:29 AM
locked gasol?

he made his 17 points and got his 10 rebounds.

once again IQ and Fundamentals will always win over Phisical strength ad athelticism.

D12 is still young he needs to get a bit of those two things if he is ever to become the beast he CAN be.

Raph12
01-19-2010, 04:32 AM
The way the magic are playing... hes not even the first option on his team. Doesn't he only take like 9. shots a game?

Yeah but that's their coach's fault; tonight they force fed Howard in the first half against LA and he responded well: 18 pts on 9-12 from the field, 1 ast and 0 tos.

I started a thread about this earlier this month, if Howard had the room/touches he needs on offense to grow, his development would be a lot quicker and he could become that go-to guy the Magic desperately need.

Raph12
01-19-2010, 04:49 AM
locked gasol?

he made his 17 points and got his 10 rebounds.

once again IQ and Fundamentals will always win over Phisical strength ad athelticism.

D12 is still young he needs to get a bit of those two things if he is ever to become the beast he CAN be.

LMFAO, dude did you even watch the game?... Gasol scored only 6 pts on 3 of 7 shooting, while commiting one turnover when Dwight guarded him one-on-one in a set offense; in comparison, Dwight scored 12 pts on 4 of 6 shooting from the field, drawing 4 fouls on Pau, getting 4 of 6 FTs from the line and commiting one turnover while Gasol guarded him in a set offense.

Pau scored most of his points off dishes from Kobe or while Lewis was guarding him.

G-Funk
01-19-2010, 11:22 AM
^^^ It's hard to say that D. Howard scored on Bynum and Gasol when all his points were finishes, I only seing him put the ball down 2 times.

kobebabe
01-19-2010, 11:34 AM
I say 3rd option behind KB24 and Pau.

SchyGuy11
01-19-2010, 11:39 AM
i think 2nd behind kobe but either way thats a sick team with those 3

Raph12
01-19-2010, 02:15 PM
^^^ It's hard to say that D. Howard scored on Bynum and Gasol when all his points were finishes, I only seing him put the ball down 2 times.

2 of 3 jumpshots, 3 of 4 hook shots, 2 dunks created off iso plays, 2 assisted dunks, 1 putback dunk and 2 missed tip-ins. He got 12 of those 14 shots off in the first half, none in the third and only attempted 1 shot, a running hook which he sank, in the fourth quarter (the other was a tip-in attempt off Carter's miss).

Only 3 of his FGs were finishes, he created every other shot including jumpers, hooks and dunks all off iso plays against Bynum or Gasol.

Try watching the game first before talking.

G-Funk
01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
2 of 3 jumpshots, 3 of 4 hook shots, 2 dunks created off iso plays, 2 assisted dunks, 1 putback dunk and 2 missed tip-ins. He got 12 of those 14 shots off in the first half, none in the third and only attempted 1 shot, a running hook which he sank, in the fourth quarter (the other was a tip-in attempt off Carter's miss).

Only 3 of his FGs were finishes, he created every other shot including jumpers, hooks and dunks all off iso plays against Bynum or Gasol.

Try watching the game first before talking.

He hardly even went to work on either of them, call me when he actually plays with his back against the basket and demads a real double team. Players who go to work on others put the ball on the floor and use some footwork.

Now if you want to see some schooling watch Duncan go to work on Bynum

miller74
01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
def 2nd over gasol

tbomlad
01-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Yes, Dwight would be the 3rd or 4th best offensive player but the 2nd best all-around player on the Lakers. But if you're talking about options as in how would Phil run his offense if Dwight was on the team than that's a completely different question. There would be plenty of plays ran through Dwight, meaning the first pass would go into Dwight and he would either drive or dish. In this case Dwight would be the first option which would happen often (just not in the 4th qtr, that's Kobe time).

Raph12
01-19-2010, 02:54 PM
He hardly even went to work on either of them, call me when he actually plays with his back against the basket and demads a real double team. Players who go to work on others put the ball on the floor and use some footwork.

Now if you want to see some schooling watch Duncan go to work on Bynum

Well then maybe you watch Gasol because Dwight shut him down with single coverage and on the other end went at him 4 times without being fouled, with his back to the basket, and scored on 3 of those times (two hooks, 1 dunk). And that's not counting the amount of times Gasol wrapped him up after getting beat to the basket (4 fouls).

If Bynum was out for the whole game, Gasol would be on lockdown and all of his points would be finishes. When he guards Dwight, Dwight easily gets his, when Dwight guards him, unless he hits the contested fadeaway jumper over him, it's a guaranteed miss.

Hellcrooner
01-19-2010, 03:38 PM
its a waste of time to discuss aouth howard with someon hwo has a 12 in its nick.

just like trying to convince someone with an 24 or 8 about anything they dont like about kobe

or someone with a 3 abotu something negative on wade or iverson

and etc etc etc

king4day
01-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Since Dwight has offensive deficiencies, he'd be a perfect fit in LA. He doesn't have to score and can do what he does best, defend, rebound, block.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-19-2010, 05:42 PM
dwight is going to have to be a 2nd option if he ever wants to win a title

G-Funk
01-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Well then maybe you watch Gasol because Dwight shut him down with single coverage and on the other end went at him 4 times without being fouled, with his back to the basket, and scored on 3 of those times (two hooks, 1 dunk). And that's not counting the amount of times Gasol wrapped him up after getting beat to the basket (4 fouls).

If Bynum was out for the whole game, Gasol would be on lockdown and all of his points would be finishes. When he guards Dwight, Dwight easily gets his, when Dwight guards him, unless he hits the contested fadeaway jumper over him, it's a guaranteed miss.

Don't look at just one game, all you have to do is look back at the finals.

Dwight logged in 42.6 minutes, 48% from the field while averaging 15.4 ppg

Gasol also played just about the same amount of minutes. Shot the ball at
60% and averaged 18.6

Now why the hell did Dwight not do something about it in the Finals, if he's so good at locking Gasol n???

Raph12
01-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Don't look at just one game, all you have to do is look back at the finals.

Dwight logged in 42.6 minutes, 48% from the field while averaging 15.4 ppg

Gasol also played just about the same amount of minutes. Shot the ball at
60% and averaged 18.6

Now why the hell did Dwight not do something about it in the Finals, if he's so good at locking Gasol n???

I agree that they played him well in the Finals, but his offensive game is a lot better this year. He has the spinning and running hook down with both hands, is expanding his range further out, his footwork looks better and he has become a better passer from the post.

Also, Dwight is a roamer on defense, he often has to leave his man to help on someone elses. In a set offense, in an iso with Gasol, I'd take the 2010 Dwight over him in a heartbeat on both ends of the floor. Now Gasol is a million times better passer than Howard, but in a game of one-on-one, Howard would easily win.

heathonater
01-20-2010, 04:57 AM
first of all, if howard was on the lakers they would win 70+ games. as offense goes, he would be the third option behind pau and kobe. but defensively, he would be leaps and bounds ahead of bynum and pau.

G-Funk
01-20-2010, 11:20 AM
I agree that they played him well in the Finals, but his offensive game is a lot better this year. He has the spinning and running hook down with both hands, is expanding his range further out, his footwork looks better and he has become a better passer from the post.

Also, Dwight is a roamer on defense, he often has to leave his man to help on someone elses. In a set offense, in an iso with Gasol, I'd take the 2010 Dwight over him in a heartbeat on both ends of the floor. Now Gasol is a million times better passer than Howard, but in a game of one-on-one, Howard would easily win.

ur probably right but in a game of 1 on 1 I got to take Gasol until Dwight learns go to moves

Frezhnitz
01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
That would equal years of repeats!

ChicagoRox
01-20-2010, 12:05 PM
As long as phil jackson runs the triangle offense, he'd be a fifth option. Like everyone else is saying it would be a waste of talent. Just look at the numbers that Bill Cartwright and Luc Longley put up. Most of Luc's points were put backs. And Bill had a decent jumper, oppose to Dwight. I think there current line-up is better than it would be with Dwight offensively. Also Dwight would take up Kobe's lane.

Shaq and Kobe worked because ,at this point of Dwight's career (not saying he can't get better), because Shaq is a way better passer.

But defensively, this team would be the best team ever.

Raph12
01-20-2010, 12:06 PM
ur probably right but in a game of 1 on 1 I got to take Gasol until Dwight learns go to moves

That's what I'm saying, Dwight's moves are still raw, that's why I have him as the third option behind Gasol, just because Gasol's game is more mature.

If Dwight plays with Gasol in practise and has Kareem tutoring him, he would be one of the greatest centers of all time within a few years.

JayW_1023
01-22-2010, 03:09 AM
I'm apalled by the lack of respect some of you Laker fans have for Derek Fisher. The guy has been money in the clutch for y'all more times than I can remember. Just because Shannon Brown is flashy and he can dunk, does not warrant him a starting spot. Fisher is still extremely valuable because he knows Kobe's game better than anyone on the team.

Raph12
01-22-2010, 03:14 AM
I'm apalled by the lack of respect some of you Laker fans have for Derek Fisher. The guy has been money in the clutch for y'all more times than I can remember. Just because Shannon Brown is flashy and he can dunk, does not warrant him a starting spot. Fisher is still extremely valuable because he knows Kobe's game better than anyone on the team.

You brought the "Would Dwight Howard be a 2nd option for the Lakers" thread back, to talk about Derek Fisher's lack of respect from Lakers fans?... weird.

JayW_1023
01-22-2010, 10:54 AM
You brought the "Would Dwight Howard be a 2nd option for the Lakers" thread back, to talk about Derek Fisher's lack of respect from Lakers fans?... weird.

My bad...but it just annoyed me. I think Dwight Howard would be the 4th scoring option on the Lakers...but defensively he would make the Lakers unbeatable.

Raph12
01-22-2010, 12:44 PM
My bad...but it just annoyed me. I think Dwight Howard would be the 4th scoring option on the Lakers...but defensively he would make the Lakers unbeatable.

Really 4th? behind who? Artest/Odom?

It would be idiotic to go to them before Howard, Dwight can provide that power punch down low. He and Kobe would be unstoppable coming off a pick-and-roll, if there is one thing Dwight is the best at, it's finishing strong.

RadiantShot
01-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Overall, Dwight would be the 2nd option, but from an offensive standpoint, he'd be 3rd. Kobe + Gasol's offensive game isn't matched by Howard yet. He'd be the first option on Defense though.

Let's not go into it though, because there's no way the Lakers are getting Dwight Howard.