PDA

View Full Version : What was the highest ranking T-mac ever was in any given year in the NBA?

JordansBulls
01-17-2010, 10:45 PM
What was the highest ranking T-mac ever was with the in any given year in the NBA?

Like was he considered the Best Player in any Year? Was he considered Top 2 any year? Top 3? Top 5? Top 7? Top 10? Top 12? Top 15?

Basically T-mac at his best where did he rank in the NBA overall?

roshan3ai
01-17-2010, 10:58 PM
I think that the year he scored 32, grabbed 6.5 boards and 6 assists he was at least top 3. Him, AI, and Kobe were the best I believe.

goku
01-17-2010, 11:02 PM
2002-2003 he was the best

top 5 03-04

top 7 04-05

after that top 15

now top 100 if that

asandhu23
01-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Best player. In his good days, he was better than Kobe. *watch the Lakers "fans" scream at me after this*

_KB24_
01-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Top 3.

2003, him and Kobe ripped **** up.

stawka
01-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Best player? WTF???

Shaq/Duncan were definitely better than him. KG and Kobe were debatable. Top 5, best?? LMAO @ some of you people

HoopsDrive
01-17-2010, 11:23 PM
I think that the year he scored 32, grabbed 6.5 boards and 6 assists he was at least top 3. Him, AI, and TMac were the best I believe.

:laugh2:

ManRam
01-17-2010, 11:43 PM
His stats were better than Kobe's for a while bc he was a better rebounder and more willing to pass...but don't get it twisted, and I love T-Mac. He was never better than Kobe.

Top 3 for a year or 2. Now he's fallen.

goku
01-17-2010, 11:55 PM
His stats were better than Kobe's for a while bc he was a better rebounder and more willing to pass...but don't get it twisted, and I love T-Mac. He was never better than Kobe.

and cant get up

Fire&Ice2&33
01-18-2010, 12:09 AM
He was top 2! Sadly he has a bad body otherwise he will still be tops! Couldnt nobody guard him

ARMIN12NBA
01-18-2010, 12:16 AM

Don't confuse willing to pass with actual passing. Kobe passed the ball a heck of a lot and was very focused on keeping Shaq's insecure and bloated ego soothed. As Tex has talked about, Kobe did a great job of taking a huge step back, letting Shaq do his thing, and being about the team instead of dominating individually (which he could have).

Lakersfan2483
01-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Best player. In his good days, he was better than Kobe. *watch the Lakers "fans" scream at me after this*

Of course you are going to get a reaction from Lakers' fans because of what you said as it's a false statement. :rolleyes: He's never been the best player in the NBA and he's never been better than Kobe. He was in the top 3 or 4 during his prime.

Bashna
01-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Of course you are going to get a reaction from Lakers' fans because of what you said as it's a false statement. :rolleyes: He's never been the best player in the NBA and he's never been better than Kobe. He was in the top 3 or 4 during his prime.

Regardless If you "think" it's a false statement or not, that year he was statistically better than kobe that year...So technically, Stat wise he may have been #1 or #2 for a year or two, but a safe bet would be top 4.

Lakersfan2483
01-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Regardless If you "think" it's a false statement or not, that year he was statistically better than kobe that year...So technically, Stat wise he may have been #1 or #2 for a year or two, but a safe bet would be top 4.

So because someone has better numbers in one particular year, they are the better player? Using your logic, I can name players that have put up better numbers than Tim Duncan, but it doesn't make them better and I will stand by what I said, T-Mac has never been better than Kobe. In his prime, T-Mac was definitely in the top 4 though.

JDMac80
01-18-2010, 01:17 AM
So he had better stats than some of this eras better players for a season or two. It doesnt make him better, even in just that year. Great players earn a grace period to have a statistically low season or to allow someone to eclipse their stats and still be considered best in the league. Duncan, Kobe, Kidd, Shaq, KG. Tmac is in the next group

JDMac80
01-18-2010, 01:18 AM
So because someone has better numbers in one particular year, they are the better player?

haha...didnt even read yours yet when I wrote mine

JordansBulls
01-18-2010, 02:25 AM
So because someone has better numbers in one particular year, they are the better player? Using your logic, I can name players that have put up better numbers than Tim Duncan, but it doesn't make them better and I will stand by what I said, T-Mac has never been better than Kobe. In his prime, T-Mac was definitely in the top 4 though.

Good point!!

I also think it is hard to say someone was the best in the league if they didn't make it out of round 1.

IMO, there are only 2 ways to determine who the best player in the league is.

1) Winning a Title/MVP/Finals MVP as the best player on the team

or

2) Having the Best Stats in the League (PER, Win Shares (Those are cumulative and based on all players production in the league))

Chronz
01-18-2010, 02:42 AM

Less turnover prone despite passing more, superior shooting touch, all around more efficient. Yea theres no reason to think he was ever better than Kobe.

PS Realistically he was top 4 behind the bigs, arguably top 2.

Chronz
01-18-2010, 02:47 AM
so because someone has better numbers in one particular year, they are the better player? Using your logic, i can name players that have put up better numbers than tim duncan, but it doesn't make them better and i will stand by what i said, t-mac has never been better than kobe. In his prime, t-mac was definitely in the top 4 though.

o rly?

Vidball
01-18-2010, 02:50 AM
Less turnover prone despite passing more, superior shooting touch, all around more efficient. Yea theres no reason to think he was never better than Kobe.

Yeah...unless you factor in things like DEFENSE...lol. There's a reason Kobe makes the All-Defensive Teams every season while TMac has never made a 1st or 2nd All-Defensive Team. Also, I don't know that many students of the game would put TMac on the same offensive level as Kobe...I doubt TMac would even put himself on the same offensive level as Kobe.

Chronz
01-18-2010, 03:00 AM
Yeah...unless you factor in things like DEFENSE...lol. There's a reason Kobe makes the All-Defensive Teams every season while TMac has never made a 1st or 2nd All-Defensive Team. Also, I don't know that many students of the game would put TMac on the same offensive level as Kobe...I doubt TMac would even put himself on the same offensive level as Kobe.
Youd be wrong on all accounts, I really dont know what your seeing but Id love to see how you "factor" in his defensive contributions, and why you found it so funny to compare to Tmac.

Ive made my stance on Tmac's defense well known, if you wish I could search for it and paste it here but Id rather just assume your not foolish enough to think Tmac has never displayed elite defense. Given his offensive load, poor defensive support, Tmac played great defense for the majority of his peak years and always stepped it up insane notches for the playoffs. Students of the game? Well from a great majority of swings to make the league many of them cite Tmac as a personal influence in their games. Offensively he put up the best #'s of the decade (yes better than Kobes 35PPG season) so he has as good a case as anyone for a brief stretch.

And Tmac has as big of an ego as anyone but hes realistic, he talks about his abilities as a thing of the past but he puts himself in that Bron-Kobe talk.

FOBolous
01-18-2010, 03:00 AM

:laugh:

there was a point in time when Tmac was the superior offensive player compared to Kobe. does 2x scoring champion ring a bell? Yea Kobe is the better defender but who's the better passer and rebounder?

JordansBulls
01-18-2010, 09:20 AM
:laugh:

there was a point in time when Tmac was the superior offensive player compared to Kobe. does 2x scoring champion ring a bell? Yea Kobe is the better defender but who's the better passer and rebounder?

Kobe is a 2x scoring champ as well.

nipo10847
01-18-2010, 10:06 AM
And why do certain people turn all the individual threads into a "Kobe vs that individual" thread? It's really painful. God bless them.

btw, T-Mac was a top 2/3 player in his prime years.

Hawkeye15
01-18-2010, 10:32 AM
easily top 5 for a few years

Hawkeye15
01-18-2010, 10:35 AM
And why do certain people turn all the individual threads into a "Kobe vs that individual" thread? It's really painful. God bless them.

hey there. Welcome to PSD. Nice to meet you

twoearl
01-18-2010, 10:41 AM

It was close but Kobe was still better. The thing that separated the two was Kobe's aggressiveness even in Mac's prime he settled too often for a jump shot. Which led to many bad shooting nights for mac. Which is why if you look at it Kobe always averaged a higher FG%.

Chronz
01-18-2010, 12:38 PM
It was close but Kobe was still better. The thing that separated the two was Kobe's aggressiveness even in Mac's prime he settled too often for a jump shot. Which led to many bad shooting nights for mac. Which is why if you look at it Kobe always averaged a higher FG%.
Tmacs jumper (combined with his height+athletic ability to get that shot off over the top of most defenders) was what separated him from Kobe at the time, he was just as good as slashing only when he did, he rarely got stripped or lost the ball the way Kobe (with his midget hands) would, and he was MUCH better as finding open players, threading the needle on inside dumps, his court vision is matched only by Bron at his position this era.

Citing FG% is a decent measure I suppose, just know your missing out on alot of information.

PS I dont think you saw Tmac in his prime if you think he had alot of poor shooting nights. Unless your also willing to say that Kobe had even more reckless turnover nights.

nipo10847
01-18-2010, 01:07 PM
hey there. Welcome to PSD. Nice to meet you

lol...u got the same feelin too??

Hawkeye15
01-18-2010, 02:06 PM
lol...u got the same feelin too??

dude, Kobe vs the world is what PSD is all about most of the time

JordansBulls
01-18-2010, 03:18 PM

Who were better the year he was top 3?