PDA

View Full Version : Cavs Offering Z for David West

Mavrix
01-17-2010, 08:52 PM
A league source said the Cavs have also made a run at Hornets power forward David West.

The Cavs are dangling center Zydrunas Ilgauskas out there for the Hornets, who want to avoid paying the luxury tax at all cost.

The Hornets could buy out Ilgauskas’ contract and waive him. Then he could return to the Cavs in 30 days.

Or they could hang onto him and let his $11.5 million deal expire after this season.

If the Cavs got West, perhaps it wouldn’t be a high priority to get Ilgauskas back in a month. Anderson Varejao could play many of the backup minutes behind center Shaquille O’Neal like he does now.

However, Hornets coach/GM Jeff Bower told New Orleans writers that he has no intention of breaking up their core to get under the luxury-tax threshold. Teams are also inquiring about point guard Chris Paul.

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2010/01/17/sports/doc4b529c10e9854236111606.txt

Simpson4Heisman
01-17-2010, 08:59 PM
This to me is a waste of there time completely. They need a wing man, another top scorer. David West will put slight better numbers then Z up. Give him Tmac, give him Ariza, give him someone like him but not as good, basically. Lebron needs his Lamar Odom.

Shady66
01-17-2010, 09:05 PM
NO is playing very well lately, so i really doubt theyll accept. But if they do, the cavs got the peice that they were missing, a shooting PF.

prodigy
01-17-2010, 09:08 PM
This must mean Jamison is out of the picture.

iggypop123
01-17-2010, 09:09 PM
why? z will want to leave so its a waste of time

JordansBulls
01-17-2010, 09:11 PM
This would be good for the Cavs and make them the hands down favorite in the east.

stawka
01-17-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't see the Hornets being that stupid, then again it's the NBA... Where Pau for dirt happens

SteveNash
01-17-2010, 09:20 PM
How does Z for West help NO avoid the luxury tax?

b_rad23
01-17-2010, 09:20 PM
z and hickson and 1st for west and posey would be more fair for both sides. more relief and a prospect and a pick.

thedfactor
01-17-2010, 09:33 PM
David West would be a great fit in Cleveland

arkanian215
01-17-2010, 10:28 PM
If New Orleans really wanted relief, they could do what the Jazz did and trade Mo Pete and James Posey with some sort of asset either picks or a guy like Marcus Thornton to a team with cap space. But since there are no teams with significant cap space left, they could do it for an expiring. The Jazz trade was Harpring and Maynor for a second rounder who is out of basketball.

Giaps
01-17-2010, 11:06 PM
I can't wait till 2010 comes and goes so that we don't have to deal with these crappy expiring contract trades anymore that are traded for all-stars.

obanga
01-17-2010, 11:10 PM
I really hope this doesn't happen. It'd certainly help the Cavs a lot though.

Avenged
01-17-2010, 11:16 PM
I don't follow New Orleans a lot so I don't know much about David West, but is he really that great to make Cleveland the favorites? Because from I hear, most people say he's an undeserving all star and overrated player.

Bullsfan22
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
new orleans should be able to get more than z. west on the cavs would be sick.

unwantedplayer
01-17-2010, 11:57 PM
This would be good for the Cavs and make them the hands down favorite in the east.

You could make a new team and put 5 allstars on the team and it won't mean they will win championship.

Basically, it won't make them favorites until they can show they can win with him. During the preseason, they were picked as favorites due to their addition or O'Neal. Well, that didn't work out as planned, did it?

TheKing23
01-18-2010, 12:09 AM
You could make a new team and put 5 allstars on the team and it won't mean they will win championship.

Basically, it won't make them favorites until they can show they can win with him. During the preseason, they were picked as favorites due to their addition or O'Neal. Well, that didn't work out as planned, did it?

31-11 after playing 25 road games with convincing wins over the Magic and Lakers say otherwise...

Kakaroach
01-18-2010, 12:14 AM
I hope NOLA doesn't do this trade, that would pretty much suck. Like UWP said though, no guarantee the Cavs get a lot better, but for sure the Hornets would be a lot worse.

Would make things easier for the Jazz in the west though.

Jays Claw
01-18-2010, 12:24 AM
The Hornets would be stupid to accept such a trade.

RocketsRule
01-18-2010, 12:38 AM

Agreed, you add an All-Star to an already championship contender. I also think West fits in perfectly with Lebron.

Vinny642
01-18-2010, 12:44 AM
More bashing the Hornets for a trade request that was given to them but they declined?

marvILLous
01-18-2010, 12:48 AM
lol whos bashing NO?

calm down

Vinny642
01-18-2010, 12:51 AM
lol whos bashing NO?

calm down

LOL I hate any thread that has anything to do with some team offering the Hornets something because people bash us for no reason.

Especially in that Parker for Paul thread.

Hornets already said they aren't breaking up the core so close thread?

Romo2Bryant
01-18-2010, 01:00 AM
LOL I hate any thread that has anything to do with some team offering the Hornets something because people bash us for no reason.

Especially in that Parker for Paul thread.

Hornets already said they aren't breaking up the core so close thread?

Still that doesn't answer the question. Who's bashing the Hornets? lol

Vinny642
01-18-2010, 01:04 AM
The Hornets would be stupid to accept such a trade.

I don't see the Hornets being that stupid, then again it's the NBA... Where Pau for dirt happens

These two comment I find a little bashing to the Hornets, these posters on these threads don't read that the Hornets declined this and are not willing to break up the core.
No offense to the posters I quoted though.

stawka
01-18-2010, 01:06 AM
These two comment I find a little bashing to the Hornets, these posters on these threads don't read that the Hornets declined this and are not willing to break up the core.
No offense to the posters I quoted though.

No way dude. I respect the Hornets, and I actually like them. Sorry if I gave you that impression, I'm pretty much saying that you guys aren't stupid enough to do it, unless you're REALLY desperate for $.

stawka
01-18-2010, 01:06 AM

LOL are you serious?

Vinny642
01-18-2010, 01:13 AM
No way dude. I respect the Hornets, and I actually like them. Sorry if I gave you that impression, I'm pretty much saying that you guys aren't stupid enough to do it, unless you're REALLY desperate for $.

For the unbolded part- Well thank you

For the bolded part- II understand, but I hated how everyone said we were desperate when we traded Hilton for nothing, I can tell people on here don't know crap about the Hornets. :D

Lol we aren't that desperate.

Mavrix
01-18-2010, 01:16 AM

Paul
Kobe
Lebron
Dirk
Howard

no championship?

Vinny642
01-18-2010, 01:18 AM
Paul
Kobe
Lebron
Dirk
Howard

no championship?

Maybe..... but they'd be around 6-8th seed in the East, so they'd be underdogs throughout the playoffs.

THE MTL
01-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Its a good trade I guess since both sides get their objectives. However if the Hornets do this, I hope they know that Chris Paul would have one foot out of the door.

KobeBeatJeeesus
01-18-2010, 02:07 AM

Just like adding Rasheed Wallace made the Celtics the hands down favorite a few months ago right? :rolleyes:

stawka
01-18-2010, 02:10 AM
They still are. They haven't had KG and Pierce for a number of games...

pd7631
01-18-2010, 02:11 AM
I hope New Orleans rejects that deal, then the Cavs might be desperate enough to take Elton Brand's fat contract off our team. He's been playing great lately for us, and he's finally returning to form, but it's evident that any future success for the Sixers won't include Brand.

ko8e24
01-18-2010, 02:13 AM
What many fail to realize is that Leon Powe is still not back from that torn ACL injury. So if Big Z resigns after 30 days (stupid that the NBA allows this), then they would have a very deep front court with Shaq, Andy, Big Z, Powe, Hickson and David West.

TheKing23
01-18-2010, 02:14 AM
Paul
Kobe
Lebron
Dirk
Howard

no championship?

That team doesn't have enough Mark Blount... Swept in the first round.

DodgerBulls
01-18-2010, 06:36 AM
I just don't see this happening. Z played most or if i'm not wrong, his entire career for Cleveland. Unless, they are sure that the Hornets will waive him then the Cavs sign him to minimum for formality. I really think that Z might retire following this season due to his kids and all.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-18-2010, 09:45 AM

I didn't know that Marc Gasol is a dirt??
Thanks for the information nonetheless!

stawka
01-18-2010, 09:51 AM
I didn't know Marc Gasol played for the Lakers before he got traded for his brother from Memphis?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-18-2010, 10:06 AM
I didn't know Marc Gasol played for the Lakers before he got traded for his brother from Memphis?

:confused:
The Lakers hold his rights!