PDA

View Full Version : Who has more hype coming in the NBA: LeBron or Wall?

Jon23815
01-17-2010, 03:42 PM
So this may seem like a stupid question, but I wasnt a huge fan until after LeBron's rookie year. So did Lebron have more hype coming in the NBA than Wall is recieving now? Do you think Wall will have as much success as Lebron?

ManRam
01-17-2010, 03:49 PM
LeBron. Easily.

philab
01-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Oh god, this isn't even close. LeBron had WAAAAY more hype. He was on the front page of SI as a junior in HS. LeBron probably had more HS games on national TV than Wall has had college games thus far.

You also have to keep in mind that Wall is in college where national exposure is much more likely. Plus, he's had another year for the hype to build.

ManRam
01-17-2010, 03:50 PM
And no. Wall isn't nearly as talented as LeBron. He will not be as successful.

TheKing23
01-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Wow... LeBron by an absolute mile.

In regards to success, LeBron easily again... John Wall is amazing but we're talking about comparing him to a guy that will be top 5 greatest ever when his career's over.

NiTEFuRY
01-17-2010, 03:56 PM
lebron, hands down.
though wall could help any team...

RaiderLakersA's
01-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Wall who?

vash9
01-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Wall is getting a lot of hype, but wow.

Lebron. By tons of thousands and millions.

RaptorsFanatic
01-17-2010, 04:02 PM
It has to be Libby still.

GodsSon
01-17-2010, 04:04 PM
is this somehow a trick question? I remember they were broadcasting LeBron's highschool games towards the end of the season in 03

smith&wesson
01-17-2010, 04:04 PM
lebron had somthing like 100 000 000$ in endoursments before he bounced a ball on an nba court.

walls hype is comparable to griffens from last year.

rapjuicer06
01-17-2010, 04:05 PM
lebron easily...he was the first JR in high school to get his man jewels sucked on a little bit by national media

FlakeyFool
01-17-2010, 04:05 PM
what a dumb question. Its easily Lebron.

NJrockPD
01-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Ther are alot of people that don't know who Wall is right now, but when LBJ was coming out EVERYONE knew who he was.

mshan5
01-17-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm mad I even clicked on this forum.

Ssshbliblibl00p
01-17-2010, 04:13 PM
So this may seem like a stupid question, but I wasnt a huge fan until after LeBron's rookie year. So did Lebron have more hype coming in the NBA than Wall is recieving now? Do you think Wall will have as much success as Lebron?

I'm sorry, and excuse me if I sound like a jerk right now, but that is one of the absolute most dumb questions I've ever heard regarding anything sports related.

Lebron had one of the most highly anticipated pro debuts in SPORTS history, he isn't even in Hershel Walkers ball park as far as hype, let alone Lebron.

You hit on the nose, stupid question dude.:facepalm:

CMMMMMMON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

td0tsfinest
01-17-2010, 04:14 PM
WTF????

You're comparing a guy who was often referred to Michael Jordan, Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson. A guy who was widely known around the basketball community when he was in the 9th grade.

to a guy thats compared to Derrick Rose/Dwayne Wade.

C'Mon Man.

Ssshbliblibl00p
01-17-2010, 04:15 PM
You get a big time BLOOP in the back of the head for this one man. You're betta than that Jon!!

Hawkeye15
01-17-2010, 04:18 PM
LeBron was being followed by 10th grade. He is the most highly anticipated youth player to ever enter the NBA. Almost nobody here had heard of Wall until this year.
LeBron by a mile.

jetsfan28
01-17-2010, 04:18 PM
LeBron. Wall's hype is more comparable to Melo's from that same year (a ton of games on national TV, ton of stories on sports shows, but nothing as outlandish as LeBron's hype).

barreleffact
01-17-2010, 04:22 PM
lol...its easily "king(b4 one step in the league)" james. but to wall's game if he learns to cut the t/o's he could go down as anywhere from the greatest in history to another bust num1 draft pic to an injury. dont just assume bron is hands and shoulders better cuz we havent seen wall develope yet but we ARE seeing bron. wall will have the same advantage over his position size wise as bron over his.the difference is its much harder to be a great PG or eve find a great PG than to find a great SG or SF

MiamiHeat
01-17-2010, 04:25 PM
LeHype

kozelkid
Lebron. But I will say that Wall has had more hype than any player SINCE Lebron.

KG2TB
Kwame Brown

abe_froman
01-17-2010, 04:27 PM
lebron easily,though wall is getting tons of hype(and if it was limited to hype just on psd than it might be closer.)

rick66ankiel24
01-17-2010, 04:31 PM
LeBron had more hype than Wall does right now, and Wall will not even have close to the success as Bronjie has... but more importantly, my boy Seastian Telfair had more hype than both of them coming into the league

Daze9900
01-17-2010, 04:31 PM
I remember Lebron having his high school games on espn. Also he was on the cover of SI as well. Wall is special no doubt, but Lebron was getting hyped pretty much after he popped out of his mom.

GREATNESS ONE
01-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Has Wall gotten a 100million dollar contract from Nike?

Daze9900
01-17-2010, 04:35 PM

No, but he will soon I'm sure.

Strumpy
01-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Lebron. But I will say that Wall has had more hype than any player SINCE Lebron.

I agree. Lebron's hype was just surreal.

thedfactor
01-17-2010, 04:53 PM
King James, no question. John Wall has tons of hype but it doesn't come close to comparing to LeBron. James starting getting NBA hype in like 10th grade I saw him in magazines and all.

Wall should be pretty legit though, kid has skills.

Hellcrooner
01-17-2010, 04:54 PM
lebron

fact

i knew who lebron was in 2001 without cheking the web here in SPAIN.

wall i hadnt heard his name until a year ago or so.

Ssshbliblibl00p
01-17-2010, 05:26 PM
lol...its easily "king(b4 one step in the league)" james. but to wall's game if he learns to cut the t/o's he could go down as anywhere from the greatest in history to another bust num1 draft pic to an injury. dont just assume bron is hands and shoulders better cuz we havent seen wall develope yet but we ARE seeing bron. wall will have the same advantage over his position size wise as bron over his.the difference is its much harder to be a great PG or eve find a great PG than to find a great SG or SF

Heads and shoulders Lebron is better, with a little person on top just in case. Lebron is a physical specimen in the mold of a Bo Jackson, Hershel Walker, Shaq, Wilt, AROD etc. freakish athletes who transcend skill set with pure natural ability. I wouldn't put wall in that category any day of the week. Lebron is head and shoulders better than some of the all time greats, so assumptions are pretty safe at this point. If we were comparing him to a Chris Paul for instance, which we will soon, we can hold off on them till things play themselves out for a few seasons.

I agree it may be harder to find a great PG than say your typical SG or SF, I don't think that applies to a guy like Lebron, because he could easily be the best PG in the world if he limited himself to that box. I personally don't consider Lebron just a SF and I don't think he does either. To me he's 4 positions in one, and I wouldn't put it past him to think he couldn't be a top 5 center in the league, with the lack of quality biggs around lol.

Anyway you slice it, its much harder to find a Lebron than a John Wall, and I'm sure most will agree.

DamnGoat
01-17-2010, 05:29 PM
LeBron had way more exposure...so that part's not even close.

I think Wall's going to be great, but he needs to develop a more consistent jumper. He should be a terrific PG for a long time though.

kjoke
01-17-2010, 05:36 PM
john wall=bust
hes not the best thing since toaster for Christ sakes people

nipo10847
01-17-2010, 05:40 PM

wow!! Is that really a question??? u gotta be kidding me!! Give me a break..... LeBron James was probably the most hyped rookie in pro-sports history. Watch and hear announcers here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liPFY8x6hRo

theuuord
01-17-2010, 05:40 PM
lol the LBJ hype was extraterrestrial. frankly it was annoying.

Sly Guy
01-17-2010, 05:59 PM
David stern was asking to be LeBron's prom date promising he'd put out, long before the King entered the NBA. John Wall is just some kid with a pretty good mixtape. Not even a comparison IMO.

azkarraga
01-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Lebron. By far.

Ssshbliblibl00p
01-17-2010, 06:29 PM
lol the LBJ hype was extraterrestrial. frankly it was annoying.

Lol agreed.

And as annoying as it was seeing him dropping duece's on poor lil inferior HS kids, with those stupid Arm band padding things on, the guy has become everything we thought he could be and still hasn't peaked yet.

Please, Sshnon Sshwall

TheKing23
01-17-2010, 06:33 PM
wow!! Is that really a question??? u gotta be kidding me!! Give me a break..... LeBron James was probably the most hyped rookie in pro-sports history. Watch and hear announcers here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liPFY8x6hRo

That brings back some good memories.

rick66ankiel24
01-17-2010, 06:50 PM

you can't get a shoe contract when you're still in college dumbass

mavwar53
01-17-2010, 06:53 PM
this is the dumbest question ever posed on this forum, LBJ was on the cover of SI as a junior IN HIGH SCHOOL, Wall is being talked about as a freshman in COLLEGE.

Yankee Lifer
01-17-2010, 06:57 PM

No Lebron had the most hype of any athlete to go pro's not just basketball.

SeoulBeatz
01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Dude lebron had worlds more hype than john wall, is that even a question.

lots of people still dont know who john wall is and john isnt nearly as talented as lebron. sorry.

KG2TB
01-17-2010, 07:02 PM
LeBron had CRAZY hype and somehow he even lived up to it. That's more amazing than the hype. Wall is hyped but hasn't played in the league yet. He has a lot to live up to that's for sure.

AI4MVP
01-17-2010, 07:04 PM
wow. When LeBron was coming into the league they were comparing him to a Michael Jordan/Magic Johnson hybrid. john wall is being compared to derrick rose, and at the highest, dwayne wade.

lebrons hype was RIDICULOUSSSSSSSS

igPay atinLay
01-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Lebron.

I knew about Lebron 2 years before he was in the league and Wall I only first heard of in the past few months.

theuuord
01-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Lol agreed.

And as annoying as it was seeing him dropping duece's on poor lil inferior HS kids, with those stupid Arm band padding things on, the guy has become everything we thought he could be and still hasn't peaked yet.

Please, Sshnon Sshwall

pretty much. The Wall hype is big - maybe bigger than anyone since LBJ - but it's not even close.

Burkey3472
01-17-2010, 07:28 PM
This has to go the Lebron.....easily. I remember watching many HS games of Lebron on ESPN/other big networks and knew about him when he was a freshman in HS (I didn't even know Wall until last year).

B.JenningsMVP
01-17-2010, 08:22 PM
most def 'Bron

Kakaroach
01-17-2010, 08:36 PM
LeBron for sure. Remember when he was on the cover of Sports Illustrated as a junior in high school?

RaptorizedKevin
01-17-2010, 08:41 PM
no man. Lebron was a superstar, the next best thing, no way is john wall as good.. or succesfull. lebon's highschool games were being telvevised NATIONALLY. the hype isnt there for wall.

JasonJohnHorn
01-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Lebron had hype during his junior year in High School! People were anticipating his arrival in the NBA when he was 16 years old! It was just crazy. And for the first time ever, national TV was airing highschool games?!?!?!?!!? I don't think anybody had as much hype coming to the NBA as LeBron. I know growing up there was a LOT of hype for Shaq, for Webber/Penny, quite a bit for Robinson, and I remember Jordan got a lot even though he was only the third pick. Wall though? I remember Durant and Oden got more hype.

LALakersKC
01-17-2010, 09:32 PM
LeBron. Easily

_KB24_
01-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Lebron had more hype, but LOL at you who are saying Lebron is "miles ahead of him". Wall is currently the best player in college on an undefeated team, something Lebron can't compare to.

theuuord
01-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Lebron had more hype, but LOL at you who are saying Lebron is "miles ahead of him". Wall is currently the best player in college on an undefeated team, something Lebron can't compare to.

Word, Kobe's not miles ahead of Wall either.

ldc62
01-17-2010, 09:48 PM
And no. Wall isn't nearly as talented as LeBron. He will not be as successful.

What do you mean by that? Last time I checked: Lebron has 0 rings.

kozelkid
01-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Oh wow, I completely forgot about Oden. Ya, he definitely had more hype than Wall. And probably was the closest to Lebron. Alot of people knew Oden as a junior as well.

_KB24_
01-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Word, Kobe's not miles ahead of Wall either.

I'm talking about back when they were around the same age. Obviously Bron and Kobe are better than him right now.

theuuord
01-17-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm talking about back when they were around the same age. Obviously Bron and Kobe are better than him right now.

Fair enough, but LeBron had an SI cover when he was like 16. We heard his name every day since 2000. Wall's very hyped up but nothing like LBJ was.

xabial
01-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Marvin Williams

_KB24_
01-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Fair enough, but LeBron had an SI cover when he was like 16. We heard his name every day since 2000. Wall's very hyped up but nothing like LBJ was.

Yeah, that's why I said he was hands down the most hyped athlete to come into the NBA, and he has done a good job so far into his career.

ChiSox219
01-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Lebron was the most hyped amateur athlete in American history.

I don't know that Wall has been more hyped than Oden was.

kozelkid
01-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Lebron was the most hyped amateur athlete in American history.

I don't know that Wall has been more hyped than Oden was.

No way. An average NBA fan didn't know Wall til college season. Hell, Wall didn't even play in the All American game.
People knew Oden as a junior.
Funny thing was that there were rumors that Wall would enter the 09 draft. Good thing he didn't, cause now he will be a MUCH higher pick then he would have been last draft.

Ssshbliblibl00p
01-17-2010, 11:46 PM

You could add a championship to Wall's short but sweet resume you described, and guess wut guy? it still wouldn't compare the LBJ's hype.

The only thing this thread is gonna prove is how many John Wall ''nut riders" and crazies actually exist on the PSD basketball forum. Shame on all of us for not holding back the urge to chime in on this nonsense. Especially me, I've posted like 4 times:facepalm:.

Ssshbliblibl00p
01-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Marvin Williams

Randy Foye

_KB24_
01-18-2010, 12:12 AM
You could add a championship to Wall's short but sweet resume you described, and guess wut guy? it still wouldn't compare the LBJ's hype.

The only thing this thread is gonna prove is how many John Wall ''nut riders" and crazies actually exist on the PSD basketball forum. Shame on all of us for not holding back the urge to chime in on this nonsense. Especially me, I've posted like 4 times:facepalm:.

John Wall is the hands down, best amateur player in the basketball world right now. There's nothing to debate. So stop the hate.

RadiantShot
01-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Must I say anything?

ChiSox219
01-18-2010, 12:37 AM
John Wall is the hands down, best amateur player in the basketball world right now. There's nothing to debate. So stop the hate.

I'm sure there is a debate, I just couldn't care less about college basketball. I've only seen one UK game but he's reckless with ball to say the least, 7 TOs in 32 minutes against UNC was ugly

_KB24_
01-18-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm sure there is a debate, I just couldn't care less about college basketball. I've only seen one UK game but he's reckless with ball to say the least, 7 TOs in 32 minutes against UNC was ugly

Dude, that game against UNC he was battling with cramps the whole game. The media made a whole ordeal out of it. He did commit a lot of turnovers and Kentucky gave up a double-digit lead int eh second half and were to lucky win it. The kid is receiving the right amount of hype. I mean,he hit a freaking buzzer beater in his collegiate debut.

ChiSox219
01-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Dude, that game against UNC he was battling with cramps the whole game. The media made a whole ordeal out of it. He did commit a lot of turnovers and Kentucky gave up a double-digit lead int eh second half and were to lucky win it. The kid is receiving the right amount of hype. I mean,he hit a freaking buzzer beater in his collegiate debut.

Like I said, I don't follow college ball, just from what I saw in only 1 game he didn't look ready to match Lebron first year in the NBA.

Hellcrooner
01-18-2010, 01:00 AM
ill repeat it

I read about lebron in a SPANISH BASKETBALL MAgacine in SPAIN when he was turning 16.

Case closed.

The most hype wall can get is the Iverson, Duncan type o hype,

Lebron has the most hype since Magic Johnson

PurpleJesus
01-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Lebron had way more hype and it isnt even close...wasnt lebron on the cover of sports illustrated as a high school sophomore? I remember about half of lebron's highschool games being televised on ESPN...I dont think anyone will ever be as hyped as lebron

PurpleJesus
01-18-2010, 01:24 AM
and i think that Wall is as hyped as Blake Griffin was...wall is as hyped as much as most consensus #1 picks are with the exception of Lebron and Yao, Yao's hype is the closest to lebrons, and still its not even close

THE MTL
01-18-2010, 01:55 AM

Was this really a question? I mean seriously dude.

heathonater
01-18-2010, 05:29 AM
um if u were alive in 2003 remember that lebron had all his hs games televised as well as fifty different magazine covers. wall has been a nice story, but nowhere near the level of hype lebron received.

DodgerBulls
01-18-2010, 05:57 AM
Lebron no doubt. Wall is just getting hype right now because on what the Bulls started. Since the Rose pick, east conference teams has been trying to get more and more of point guards due to the lack of good/great point guards at their conference.

Young and Stupid
01-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Lebron no doubt. Wall is just getting hype right now because on what the Bulls started. Since the Rose pick, east conference teams has been trying to get more and more of point guards due to the lack of good/great point guards at their conference.

Only a Bulls fan could make the prospect of drafting Wall about the Bulls - WOW.

BkOriginalOne
01-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Lebron, DUH!!!!
The kid came out of H.S. and IS and WILL be better than John Wall throughout their careers.

Paris Bulls
01-18-2010, 12:00 PM
lebron probably was the most hyped coming into the nba ever

thephoenixson28
01-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I think sebastian telfair was more hype then john wall coming in the nba.

KB24PG16
01-18-2010, 12:16 PM
lebron had so much hype... i still remember when espn aired a cav game and the fans had signs saying tank for lebron :laugh2:

Jon23815
01-18-2010, 01:16 PM
um if u were alive in 2003 remember that lebron had all his hs games televised as well as fifty different magazine covers. wall has been a nice story, but nowhere near the level of hype lebron received.

Umm if you guys had the logic to read, I said i wasnt a big fan till after Lebron's rookie year. Yeah i figured lebron had more hype but was just wondering you know.

mser58
02-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Umm if you guys had the logic to read, I said i wasnt a big fan till after Lebron's rookie year. Yeah i figured lebron had more hype but was just wondering you know.

:mad: No I don't know "Jon", please take your ridiculous question and go elsewhere, to Kentuckybasketballfansdaily.com where you may be able to find one loon who will agree with you and then never watch basketball again because this is such an absured question.

jk I love how people try to make question askers feel inferior after they ask a question ...
Everybody relax, no reason to make the guy feel like an idiot.....

even though I have done it before to:cool:

alencp3
02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Wow... LeBron by an absolute mile.

In regards to success, LeBron easily again... John Wall is amazing but we're talking about comparing him to a guy that will be top 5 greatest ever when his career's over.

if he wins some rings,he is right there with jordan :)

AK-50
02-25-2010, 02:08 PM
LeBron for sure without a doubt

J-Relo
02-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Lebron...