PDA

View Full Version : Allen takes issue with fans' voting role

Gators123
01-17-2010, 01:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2010/news/story?id=4833965

click the link for the full article.

Celtics guard Ray Allen thinks it's time to limit fans' influence in All-Star voting with Allen Iverson and Tracy McGrady, despite having little to no impact this season, both headed into the final hours of voting in position to start.

Unwanted by their teams, Iverson and McGrady are still adored by their fans, who still consider them stars even though their stats say otherwise.

The Memphis Grizzlies quickly parted ways with Iverson. The Houston Rockets are trying to trade McGrady.

Maybe the players can swap stories of their rocky roads while covering each other at the All-Star Game.

"I like the fact that the fans get the opportunity to vote and pick who they'd like to see in the All-Star Game, but I don't think it should be 100 percent," Allen said this week.

Allen said the fan voting has made the game "watered down" and called for a change in the process.

Allen said fans should have 50 percent of the vote, with the other 50 percent being divided evenly between the media and the players. He said players know who is playing the best, and believes with his idea, "you'd look at five guys starting the All-Star team regardless of hype or highlight."

The NBA likes things the way they are.

"We look at it as a great way to engage the fans," NBA spokesman Brian McIntyre said. "We think it's a good system."

RocketsRule
01-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Can't really say he's wrong... The system is definitely faulty.

arkanian215
01-17-2010, 02:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2010/news/story?id=4833965

click the link for the full article.

you don't have to be the best to play in the all star game. you just need to be popular. the league will play the guys fans want to see. it's about the money.

Storch
01-17-2010, 02:10 PM
it should be called "players with most votes weekend"

ManRam
01-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I think the fans should always be able to vote for the starters. Maybe they need to make a more exclusive ballot and start the voting later in the season (not have like 3 months to vote). If T-Mac and AI weren't on the ballot, they wouldn't get voted in.

You can't take the voting away from the fans. That was the whole point of every all-star game in any sport.

magichatnumber9
01-17-2010, 02:13 PM
On Espn.com comments people were saying that the All star game is no big deal so fans should be able to have complete control. Well its just not that simple for the players. Being an all star contributes to your legacy as a player as well as getting you a few extra bucks once contract negotiations come up. So when you think about it why do we have that much control of the vote?

Wilson
01-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I think the fans should always be able to vote for the starters. Maybe they need to make a more exclusive ballot and start the voting later in the season (not have like 3 months to vote). If T-Mac and AI weren't on the ballot, they wouldn't get voted in.

You can't take the voting away from the fans. That was the whole point of every all-star game in any sport.

Agreed, having the voting system start so early means a lot of the time the votes are based on prior seasons.

barreleffact
01-17-2010, 04:02 PM
**** ray allen. cry baby. no celtic has said much to me in a while. ray was cryin bout orlando, then cryin bout this, pierce tlkin bout uppin the rim, and he better than kobe...blah blah etc. stfu. lol. but seriously the vote should start around late december as to limit the selections but at the end of the day its a game exclusively for the fans. deal w it

vash9
01-17-2010, 04:03 PM
wow. i definitely agree.

i hate this voting system.

Allen Iverson and Tracy McGrady once again stole another Stars position at that game.

Someone like Iggy or Deron Williams would be much better.

kozelkid
01-17-2010, 04:24 PM
I like the system for football. One third fans, one third players, and I think one third media. Something like that.

junion
01-17-2010, 04:32 PM
wow. i definitely agree.

Allen Iverson and Tracy McGrady once again stole another Stars position at that game.

AI and TMac have about a year left in their actual career, let them have it. The young guys will have at least 5-8 years to be all-stars. AI and TMac have paid their dues.

ko8e24
01-17-2010, 04:56 PM
**** ray allen. cry baby. no celtic has said much to me in a while. ray was cryin bout orlando, then cryin bout this, pierce tlkin bout uppin the rim, and he better than kobe...blah blah etc. stfu. lol. but seriously the vote should start around late december as to limit the selections but at the end of the day its a game exclusively for the fans. deal w it

ray allen is right in this regard. its stupid how fans are voting for t-mac, who hasn't done crap this season. Im okay with the AI pick, but T-Mac pick is just plain out absurd

but yes,

paul pierce is a prick

HoopsDrive
01-17-2010, 05:50 PM
1/2 for fans and 1/2 for players/coaches seems alright to me although I'm pretty sure the NBA would never change its current system. The AS weekend is all about the fans and their pockets.

Sly Guy
01-17-2010, 05:57 PM
it should be called "players with most votes weekend"

No, I'd call it : China's favorites weekend.

Giaps
01-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Any real NBA fan hates this system. The NBA is wrong.

SirCalvin81
01-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Any real NBA fan hates this system. The NBA is wrong.

exactly cuz i dnt mind them being voted by the fans it just sucks that a couple players that really deserve it are gna get snubbed

Alwaysballin247
01-17-2010, 06:41 PM
If they change the way fans can vote then they have to change the all star game..have it mean something have it that come the finals the winner (east vs west) gets home court and then I would be fine with coaches voting but if the all star game means nothing then its for the fans and they should vote for who they want to see play

ARMIN12NBA
01-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Only 5 of the 12 players are decided by the fans anyways...

dougie5627
01-17-2010, 07:43 PM
why not just make it that a player cant be voted if he hasnt played a certain amount of games to start off, i.e the tmac scenario. who knows tmac might show hes got some serious game still and is back to his former self and a team may want to trade for him for a reason other than an expiring.

JackB
01-19-2010, 01:04 AM
I like the system for football. One third fans, one third players, and I think one third media. Something like that.

I agree 100% Its criminal that players more deserving get screwed.

JLynn943
01-19-2010, 01:12 AM
wow. i definitely agree.

That doesn't make sense. How is Iverson preventing Iggy from being voted in when they play different positions? Same with McGrady and Williams?

topdog
01-19-2010, 01:37 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, anybody, but I think the real issue with voting centers around expanding voting internationally. I'm okay with guys that should probably be backups getting in as starters, but not guys who haven't played even half the games this season. Fan voting makes the game but the Yao-Tracy-A.I. thing sucks.

Additionally I think voting should be altered to be categorized as point guard (1), wings (2) and bigs (2)rather than the current guards (2), forwards (2) and center (1). It ensures a deserving point gets in and doesn't cause controversy over listings as far as C and F.

_KB24_
01-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Someone's a little upset that they aren't going to go :rolleyes:

LeBroom
01-19-2010, 02:22 AM
Come on guys. Somebody vote for Ray-Ray.

Btw. I believe Allen Iverson deserves to be play in the All-Star game. This may very well be his LAST anyway. He's not playing spectacular ball atm, but he's providing solid numbers and he's actually helped Philly win some. Don't worry guys, your Derrick Rose, Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo (etc) still have a lot of years ahead of them. 1 year won't hurt.

(Though I REALLY FIND T-MAC starting @ PG for the WEST, REALLY FUNNY HAHA)

ChiBulls91
01-19-2010, 02:34 AM
That doesn't make sense. How is Iverson preventing Iggy from being voted in when they play different positions? Same with McGrady and Williams?

All star voting doesn't differentiate between the guard positions. You could end up having two shooting guards be your starters. So yes, they do affect eachother.

Iverson is taking up a guard spot for Iggy (given that he is listed as a SG rather than a SF) and T-mac is taking up a guard spot for Deron

xbrackattackx
01-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Someone's a little upset that they aren't going to go :rolleyes:

This.

G-Funk
01-19-2010, 11:29 AM

I don't Agree Fans got to see T-Mac and A.I suck and they kept on voting them in, that's why they never lost there place in the race. The only way it work is if the NBA start the voting later and don't add player to the ballot who don't deserve it.

illegallover
01-19-2010, 11:46 AM
david stern is a joke

Maine_Arvie89
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
T-Mac shouldn't be even on the damn ticket to get voted for in the 1st place that would've stopped a lot of this & A.I. would even tell you himself he doesn't belong there...Tracy would play just to say "I'm still Good" but probably embarrass himself lol

Super.
01-19-2010, 12:32 PM
The Chinese shouldnt be allowed to vote. :pity: It's the entire reason McGrady is even there

Though, im really surprised Allen said this, i just kinda assumed it was Rondo whining about it because AI was stealing his votes

ManRam
01-19-2010, 12:42 PM
david stern is a joke

Great insight.

Turtle55
01-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I agree with some of the previous posters that fans should still get the vote but the ballot should be created later. Players should have to play a certain number of games/minutes to be on the ballot.