PDA

View Full Version : what would you rather be?

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 01:48 PM
i got into a big arguement with some people about this, would you rather be the greatest basketball player ever or the greatest soccer player ever. the people i was talking to were saying soccer because your known world wide and soccer is a tougher sport to learn. my pick is basketball and i completely disagree with whoever says soccer.

MiamiHeat
01-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

but you will be very well known if you're the best at a certain sport.
whether its soccer or basketball.

RadiantShot
01-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Let's think of it in terms like this.

Ronaldinho, or Steve Nash?

LOL!

It is true Soccer is the #1 sport in the world though.

GodsSon
01-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Let's think of it in terms like this.

Ronaldhino, or Steve Nash?

LOL!

It is true Soccer is the #1 sport in the world though.

Ronaldinho is done man lol...being Christiano Ronaldo though beats being LeBron IMO, and winning the World Cup is a much bigger accomplishment then winning an NBA title

cubulls
01-16-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't know who the **** Ronaldingo is nor do I care because I live in the U.S. and soccer is irrelevant in the U.S.

Hellcrooner
01-16-2010, 02:09 PM
lets see

if you are a soccer player you can win:

National leagues.
National Cups.
International club competitions: ( Champions league, uefa, copa america etc...)
then you can win World Cups and euroc ups or american cups and olympics etc.

basically in a good career with a good team you can win around 25 different titles.

Nba player can win the ring, olympics and world cup
so with a lot of luch you can get 5 rings 2 olympics 2 world cups.

Nba players are known by 20% of the world soccer players are known by 90% of the world.
based on that the kind of endorsing contracts you get are MUCH MUCH MUCH higher being a soccer players.

and now lets talk Money.

Nba max salary 20 million DOLLARS a year, half of wich will be going to the IrS.

Cristiano ronaldos contract right now is 30 million EUROS (around 45 million dollrs) AFTER TAXES ( the club pays the taxas)

so go figure.

Any way id rather be the best f1 racer ever or the best tennis player ever.

Jacob K.
01-16-2010, 02:12 PM
i think you might get some biased answer, since this is in the nba forum... but im gonna go with soccer still

Jamiecballer
01-16-2010, 02:16 PM
i think the NBA player bangs more hot chicks. so obviously...

Bucsfan
01-16-2010, 02:16 PM
it depends on where your from, if your from south america or europe etc, its probably gonna be a soccer player

americans are mostly going to say basketball because everybody in america thinks soccer is "gay"

I would take either honestly, but i do love european women, so im going with soccer on this one

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 02:22 PM
basketball is known in europe and china and all other places too, maybe not like soccer, but let me ask you this would, you are the greatest b ball player ever and your in game 7 of the finals three seconds left and hit the game winning three or play in the world cup? im sorry, but basketball blows soccer out the water. these other countries like soccer because its an easier sport to play than basketball imo.

GodsSon
01-16-2010, 02:24 PM
basketball is known in europe and china and all other places too, maybe not like soccer, but let me ask you this would you be in game 7 of the finals three seconds left and hit the game winning three or play in the world cup? im sorry, but basketball blows soccer out the water. these other countries like soccer because its an easier sport to play than soccer imo.

World Cup hands down...it only comes around every 4 years, placing more significance on actually winning it, and every country in the world participates just to try and qualify for it; meaning you truly are champions of the world

MiamiHeat
01-16-2010, 02:27 PM
basketball is known in europe and china and all other places too, maybe not like soccer, but let me ask you this would, you are the greatest b ball player ever and your in game 7 of the finals three seconds left and hit the game winning three or play in the world cup? im sorry, but basketball blows soccer out the water. these other countries like soccer because its an easier sport to play than basketball imo.

you're just being a homer.

Chacarron
01-16-2010, 02:30 PM

I take soccer still because the World Cup occurs every 4 years and hitting the game winner with 3 seconds left in a game 7 as you say, could happen more than once in that span if you are the greatest bball player ever.

RaptorizedKevin
01-16-2010, 02:33 PM
i got into a big arguement with some people about this, would you rather be the greatest basketball player ever or the greatest soccer player ever. the people i was talking to were saying soccer because your known world wide and soccer is a tougher sport to learn. my pick is basketball and i completely disagree with whoever says soccer.

It doesnt matter what peoople think of you. If you are bothered, by wat peopel think of you, it says ur self esteem isnt there. whateever yu feel yu would enjoy more, should be a big accomplishment. if yu really loved baskerball/soccer, juss making the big leagues is enough, as well as having the "GOAT" tag listed on ur fame, who cares which sport it is; its all fame

Btw, whats the point of this thread ? :confused:

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 02:35 PM
im biased, but seriously soccer is gay and like i said its easier to play soccer than basketball thats why soccer is more known because other countries really cant play basketball and i never watch the boring *** world cup.

effen5
01-16-2010, 02:36 PM
World Cup hands down...it only comes around every 4 years, placing more significance on actually winning it, and every country in the world participates just to try and qualify for it; meaning you truly are champions of the world

I have to agree and I dont even watch soccer. I mean how many people actually watch the finals? Like 15 million people? The world cup has like 1 billion people world wide.....

Me personally, I would love to play in the superbowl.

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 02:39 PM
im pretty sure people around the world know who michael jordan is

MiamiHeat
01-16-2010, 02:42 PM
im biased, but seriously soccer is gay and like i said its easier to play soccer than basketball thats why soccer is more known because other countries really cant play basketball and i never watch the boring *** world cup.

your hatred for soccer is not letting you answer this question.
Soccer is pretty hard, you should play it.

im pretty sure people around the world know who michael jordan is

like I said, if you're the best player in your sport you will be known.
but I'm sure you know who Pele or Cristiano Ronaldo is.

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 02:47 PM
your hatred for soccer is not letting you answer this question.
Soccer is pretty hard, you should play it.

like I said, if you're the best player in your sport you will be known.
but I'm sure you know who Pele or Cristiano Ronaldo is.

soccer is hard and i dont hate it, i just think its boring, but you have to admit basketball is a way harder sport to play

no idea about who these guys were untill last night when i was talking to my brother about this and im not even ******** you right now.

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 02:48 PM
i think people know who michael jordan is just as much as pele and ronaldo.

MiamiHeat
01-16-2010, 02:49 PM
soccer is hard and i dont hate it, i just think its boring, but you have to admit basketball is a way harder sport to play

no idea about who these guys were untill last night when i was talking to my brother about this and im not even ******** you right now.

boring and easy are 2 different things. :rolleyes:

okay. :facepalm:

Bucsfan
01-16-2010, 02:50 PM

your being ignorant

soccer is easier? lmao, have you ever played soccer? its a very violent sport

Hellcrooner
01-16-2010, 02:58 PM
thats funny because Kobe has one of the best feet cordination in the Nba,

you know why?

because he played that "easy" sport while grwoing up.

Chronz
01-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Lets see on one hand you can play a sport where you share the field with 19(?) other players, mostly only one end (o or d), and playing hard when the ball comes to you.

Whereas in Basketball you play both ends non stop, are in constant motion, and the impact 1 player can have on the game is profound. Like whats the soccer equivalent of Kobe going for 81, a Hat trick? No contest, the way you can express yourself in basketball is the best part about the sport. For those who can soar or shoot, and just completely OBLITERATE the opposition, theres no other feeling like it.

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 03:03 PM
boring and easy are 2 different things. :rolleyes:

okay. :facepalm:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: i never said that i hate soccer because its boring, i dont hate it, all i think is its boring and i never said that soccer is easier because its boring, what i said was soccer is easier to play than basketball and i think soccer is boring. i dont know if your reading right, but be more careful when your reading

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 03:05 PM
your being ignorant

soccer is easier? lmao, have you ever played soccer? its a very violent sport

yeah i have played soccer and its a tough sport, but the nba is pretty tough too getting elbowed in your face and poked in the eye sucks.

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 03:08 PM
thats funny because Kobe has one of the best feet cordination in the Nba,

you know why?

because he played that "easy" sport while grwoing up.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: yeah soccer completely made kobe into the basketball player he is today so i guess christiano ronaldo can come into the nba and do what kobe does. soccer has helped kobe to have the best feet cordination, but not all credit goes to soccer because kobe's work outs are crazy he does other things with his feet to be that coodinated.

jimbobjarree
01-16-2010, 03:12 PM
soccer you can play in front of more fans every week, win more compitions, less travelling without having to be abnormally large to be great.

though the richest footballers get roughly 10.5 million dollars a year salary, though its still seen as crazy money over here it doesnt scratch the amount TMac is making this season.

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 03:15 PM
okay im not talking about the money. the original question is would you be the greatest basketball player ever even better than jordan or the greatest soccer player ever even better than whoever is or was the greatest soccer player because i dont know who is.

ManRam
01-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Christiano Ronaldo is a bigger star than LeBron or Kobe could ever imagine. That's all that needs to be said.

MiamiHeat
01-16-2010, 03:20 PM
KW93KB24 you are just being an ignorant little *****.
get off basketball's dick and stop trying to follow your lover Kobe Bryant footsteps.

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Christiano Ronaldo is a bigger star than LeBron or Kobe could ever imagine. That's all that needs to be said.

who the **** is that? come on i would rather be kobe or lebron than ranaldo. the only reason why soccer is more popular is because its a world sport, basketball is known mainly in the us, but if they were to expand it more to other countries that dont know about it, i guarantee you more people would like basketball

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 03:22 PM
KW93KB24 you are just being an ignorant little *****.
get off basketball's dick and stop trying to follow your lover Kobe Bryant footsteps.

funny your a heat fan i think you turned to soccer after kobe ****ed the heat and shitted all over d wades face with a broken finger.

ManRam
01-16-2010, 03:25 PM
who the **** is that? come on i would rather be kobe or lebron than ranaldo. the only reason why soccer is more popular is because its a world sport, basketball is known mainly in the us, but if they were to expand it more to other countries that dont know about it, i guarantee you more people would like basketball

No ****ing **** the only reason it's more popular because it's a world sport. That makes my point for me.

Soccer is relevant in 90% of the world. Basketball is relevant in maybe 50% at way best.

You're just biased and an America-centrist. I totally disagree that basketball would ever top soccer in really any of the countries where soccer is #1...just like soccer will never top the NFL/NBA/MLB here.

Hellcrooner
01-16-2010, 03:28 PM
^well i also dont know who the best Nfl, Baseball, or Nascar person ever is

does it make it their sports anyworst?

i dnt think so.

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 03:28 PM
No ****ing **** the only reason it's more popular because it's a world sport. That makes my point for me.

Soccer is relevant in 90% of the world. Basketball is relevant in maybe 50% at way best.

You're just biased and an America-centrist. I totally disagree that basketball would ever top soccer in really any of the countries where soccer is #1...just like soccer will never top the NFL/NBA/MLB here.

your a ****en idiot i said that if you were to show other parts of the world that dont know about basketball and show them the game they would like it more than soccer

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 03:29 PM
^well i also dont know who the best Nfl, Baseball, or Nascar person ever is

does it make it their sports anyworst?

i dnt think so.

well you think gasol is the lakers best player

ManRam
01-16-2010, 03:31 PM
About 700,000,000 people watched the World Cup Final game.

The NBA Finals couldn't even pull a 10 rating in the US alone. That's like 15 million people.

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 03:31 PM
im sorry i would rather do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U616sib8v-Y

than kick the ball around

Hellcrooner
01-16-2010, 03:32 PM
IMO the three main reasons why people dont like soccer in USA are:

1 too many good players in the world to reunite them all in One superleague.

You can find palyers from all nationalitys inteh top 20 socer players, Brazilians, spaniards, argentinians, english, dutch, germans , Cote de ivorians, Cameroonians etc etc

No, no americasn sorry.

So you ahve to follow various leagues if you want to watch the best players, PRemier, La liga, calcio etc

2 Usa has struggled to make a real impact as a national team in the international stage in worl cups .

3 Soccer you cannot meassure in Stats, and americans love to rate players based on stats.

ManRam
your a ****en idiot i said that if you were to show other parts of the world that dont know about basketball and show them the game they would like it more than soccer

Oh yeah. Duh. I forgot. This is America. We're the best and everyone else is just wrong and dumb.

You're one of the most ignorant people I've come across here.

KW93KB24
well my pick is basketball this my last post dont bother quoting me soccer suck dick.

Hellcrooner
01-16-2010, 03:33 PM
well you think gasol is the lakers best player
no i never have said anyting close to that.

all i say is he needs more touches be more of a clear second option to kobe.

HoopsDrive
01-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Football (soccer) for sure.

Assuming you think MJ is the greatest bball player ever and Pele the greatest football player ever, Pele is the more worldwide recognized athlete of the two by far EVEN though MJ's career peaked some 20-30 years after Pele.

The main reason for choosing football over any other sport to be great in would be the fact that it is so much, much far ahead in terms of significance and appeal than any other sport in the world. Of all the major sports in America, only bball can come within range (although it's not even close) of football's global dominance.

Heck, check Ronaldinho, even though many people think he's done for (which I completely disagree, he's been tearing as of late as an assist-man and occasional scorer), people still give tons of media coverage to him. Other than Roger Federer, no other athlete comes close to the media coverage that Ronaldinho got throughout the past decade (2000s).

KW93KB24
01-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Oh yeah. Duh. I forgot. This is America. We're the best and everyone else is just wrong and dumb.

You're one of the most ignorant people I've come across here.

im not american

Hellcrooner
01-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Football (soccer) for sure.

Assuming you think MJ is the greatest bball player ever and Pele the greatest football player ever, Pele is the more worldwide recognized athlete of the two by far EVEN though MJ's career peaked some 20-30 years after Pele.

The main reason for choosing football over any other sport to be great in would be the fact that it is so much, much far ahead in terms of significance and appeal than any other sport in the world. Of all the major sports in America, only bball can come within range (although it's not even close) of football's global dominance.

Heck, check Ronaldinho, even though many people think he's done for (which I completely disagree, he's been tearing as of late as an assist-man and occasional scorer), people still give tons of media coverage to him. Other than Roger Federer, no other athlete comes close to the media coverage that Ronaldinho got throughout the past decade (2000s).

i disagree on the coverage, beckham, zidane, schumaker, ayrton senna etc

Chronz
01-16-2010, 03:46 PM
IMO the three main reasons why people dont like soccer in USA are:

1 too many good players in the world to reunite them all in One superleague.

You can find palyers from all nationalitys inteh top 20 socer players, Brazilians, spaniards, argentinians, english, dutch, germans , Cote de ivorians, Cameroonians etc etc

No, no americasn sorry.

So you ahve to follow various leagues if you want to watch the best players, PRemier, La liga, calcio etc

2 Usa has struggled to make a real impact as a national team in the international stage in worl cups .

3 Soccer you cannot meassure in Stats, and americans love to rate players based on stats.
I agree with you 100%

Especially the bit of people being able to measure my worth.

Lakerfrk
01-16-2010, 03:53 PM

WOW... um... These other countries like Soccer beacuse it's the cheapest sport to play! All you need is the ball..... other countries are not as rich as America.... we have parks with basketball hoops, gyms...... they do not.. they get a ball and play in the street.. Thats the only sport that is played in many many countries... THAT's why it is so popular.. not because it's 'easier'... which by the way... Soccer is NOT AT ALL easy.

lakerboy
01-16-2010, 03:55 PM
I'd be Kobe Bryant over David Beckham, all day. Obviously the question in this thread leads to personal preference, and ALL OF US HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON THIS.

As far as I am concern, basketball is still a growing sport, and it will catch up with soccer one day. Oh btw, China is growing so fast economically, and basketball is hands down the #1 sport in their country.

Once I was at a bar and I was talking to this Chinese hottie, and I told him my name was "Pao-lo" (which is Chris Paul's chinese name) and my friend was A-li-sa (which is Ariza's) and the waiter just laughed his *** off and started talking about basketball.

Soccer is #1 in europe but basketball is definitely catching up.

arkanian215
01-16-2010, 03:56 PM

soccer. you don't need to be the biggest, tallest, strongest, fastest or even most talented to win on a given day. and i disagree with whoever said the girls who like basketball players are hotter. if you've been to a game that David Beckham has played in (or even if he's in the same stadium), you'd know what I'm talking about.

lakerboy
01-16-2010, 03:57 PM
About 700,000,000 people watched the World Cup Final game.

The NBA Finals couldn't even pull a 10 rating in the US alone. That's like 15 million people.

Because it happens once every four years, and involves a lot of countries.

Go_NUGGETS
01-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Basketball >>>> Soccer.

arkanian215
01-16-2010, 04:00 PM
I'd be Kobe Bryant over David Beckham, all day. Obviously the question in this thread leads to personal preference, and ALL OF US HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON THIS.

As far as I am concern, basketball is still a growing sport, and it will catch up with soccer one day. Oh btw, China is growing so fast economically, and basketball is hands down the #1 sport in their country.

Once I was at a bar and I was talking to this Chinese hottie, and I told him my name was "Pao-lo" (which is Chris Paul's chinese name) and my friend was A-li-sa (which is Ariza's) and the waiter just laughed his *** off and started talking about basketball.

Soccer is #1 in europe but basketball is definitely catching up.
Sorry even though I hate Becks to death, I'd love to be him. He can get any woman in the world. I suppose the same is true for C. Ronaldo. On top of that I think Becks' net worth is somewhere in the $200 million range.

lakerboy
01-16-2010, 04:01 PM
WOW... um... These other countries like Soccer beacuse it's the cheapest sport to play! All you need is the ball..... other countries are not as rich as America.... we have parks with basketball hoops, gyms...... they do not.. they get a ball and play in the street.. Thats the only sport that is played in many many countries... THAT's why it is so popular.. not because it's 'easier'... which by the way... Soccer is NOT AT ALL easy.

Not really. I live in the Philippines and it's a third world country, kinda like Mexico.

Here you'll see basketball courts even in the poorest areas, and you'll see people without shoes running around taking hoops. IMO, it really depends on tv coverage etc, culture, etc.

Btw, check this out.

http://simonong.net/wp-content/imgpost/oct_2008_blogactionday_02.jpg
http://www.mindanao.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/img_0649bb.jpg

lakerboy
01-16-2010, 04:03 PM
soccer. you don't need to be the biggest, tallest, strongest, fastest or even most talented to win on a given day. and i disagree with whoever said the girls who like basketball players are hotter. if you've been to a game that David Beckham has played in (or even if he's in the same stadium), you'd know what I'm talking about.

Dude, euro chicks are way WILDER than american chicks.

arkanian215
01-16-2010, 04:04 PM

basketball is harder if you're under 6 feet. soccer is still harder to be good at. very very few people can pick up soccer at 14+ years old and be good.

lakerboy
01-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Sorry even though I hate Becks to death, I'd love to be him. He can get any woman in the world. I suppose the same is true for C. Ronaldo. On top of that I think Becks' net worth is somewhere in the $200 million range.

When Becks signed with the Galaxy he got over $200M, and that was believed to be the biggest deal in sports history. THAT DOESN'T EVEN INCLUDE OLD CONTRACTS WITH MAN U, etc.

No doubt soccer player gets more ***** than basketball players. I honestly could say there is a bit of a race issue involved here. Oh and don't forget about hockey players too. There are a lot of "puck girls" as they call it.

Nevertheless, I'd choose to be Kobe Bryant because in basketball, one superstar can elevate the level of an entire team. I'd love to win championships and become the king of LA. I'll be banging Taylor Swift or Beyonce then.

HoopsDrive
01-16-2010, 04:09 PM
i disagree on the coverage, beckham, zidane, schumaker, ayrton senna etc

Beckham, to a certain extent, after his move to MLS, definitely got incredible media coverage but the other guys I wouldn't say are on the same level.

arkanian215
01-16-2010, 04:10 PM
When Becks signed with the Galaxy he got over $200M, and that was believed to be the biggest deal in sports history. THAT DOESN'T EVEN INCLUDE OLD CONTRACTS WITH MAN U, etc.

No doubt soccer player gets more ***** than basketball players. I honestly could say there is a bit of a race issue involved here. Oh and don't forget about hockey players too. There are a lot of "puck girls" as they call it.

Nevertheless, I'd choose to be Kobe Bryant because in basketball, one superstar can elevate the level of an entire team. I'd love to win championships and become the king of LA. I'll be banging Taylor Swift or Beyonce then.

I thought Beyonce was with Jay-Z.:(

runforrestrunx9
01-16-2010, 04:17 PM
i think the NBA player bangs more hot chicks. so obviously...

christiano can bang whoever he wants, anytime he wants, with any amount he wants...

and hes makin 45 mil doin it... ill take soccer

nstojic
01-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Because it happens once every four years, and involves a lot of countries.

ok. what about the mens basketball gold medal game at the olympics? it only happes every 4 years and it still pales in comparison to the world cup.. and i get that the basketball part is still only a portion of a larger event but regardless, soccer is the worlds sport, basketball is a comfortable 2nd... but the thread was asking which we'd prefer to be... i'd say soccer...more money, more exposure... period.

nstojic
01-16-2010, 04:19 PM
christiano can bang whoever he wants, anytime he wants, with any amount he wants...

And hes makin 45 mil doin it... Ill take soccer

+1000000

Hellcrooner
01-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Beckham, to a certain extent, after his move to MLS, definitely got incredible media coverage but the other guys I wouldn't say are on the same level.
i had the impression Senna was some kind of semi-god in brazil

lakerboy
01-16-2010, 04:22 PM
ok. what about the mens basketball gold medal game at the olympics? it only happes every 4 years and it still pales in comparison to the world cup.. and i get that the basketball part is still only a portion of a larger event but regardless, soccer is the worlds sport, basketball is a comfortable 2nd... but the thread was asking which we'd prefer to be... i'd say soccer...more money, more exposure... period.

Dude, soccer is a sport designed very DIFFERENTLY as compared to basketball. You have a team in Manchester vs a team in Milan. Soccer = Europe. Just add some more countries and arrange players according to nationalities and it's the world cup.

MiamiHeat
01-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Europe and South America.

funny your a heat fan i think you turned to soccer after kobe ****ed the heat and shitted all over d wades face with a broken finger.

the broken finger happened after. :confused:
and it was 1 shot away from us having a whole different conversation :cool:

nipo10847
01-16-2010, 04:25 PM
This cant be a question. Soccer is the greatest sport in the world. How many people know Lebron James and how many know Lionel Messi? Not even close. Another one would be Michael Jordan and Diego Maradona. Yeah, not even close in real world. It doesnt seem like that since most of us live in usa and we think everyone in the world knows Lebron and MJ.

lakerboy

and hes makin 45 mil doin it... ill take soccer

I think the dude shaves his unibrow. I'd rather be Kobe (definitely not LBJ because he is one ugly dude.)

nstojic
Dude, soccer is a sport designed very DIFFERENTLY as compared to basketball. You have a team in Manchester vs a team in Milan. Soccer = Europe. Just add some more countries and arrange players according to nationalities and it's the world cup.

what about MLS? and lesser leagues across asia and africa? despite parts of africa being into the rugby, cricket, etc..

lakerboy
01-16-2010, 04:26 PM
This cant be a question. Soccer is the greatest sports in the world. How many people know Lebron James and how many know Lionel Messi. Not even close. Another one would be Michael Jordan and Diego Maradona. Yeah, not even close in real world. It doesnt seem like that since most of us live in usa and we think everyone in the world knows Lebron and MJ.

If you count it by one person at a time, China has 2 billion people and they all love basketball.

arkanian215
01-16-2010, 04:31 PM
If you count it by one person at a time, China has 2 billion people and they all love basketball.

they all love soccer more. i remember watching the olympics and despite the country blowing at soccer, they still love it. they don't have a yao or yi in soccer and yet they still love it.

a lot of kids im america grow up playing soccer but for one reason or another stop playing when they get older.

lakerboy
01-16-2010, 04:31 PM
what about MLS? and lesser leagues across asia and africa? despite parts of africa being into the rugby, cricket, etc..

Dude you're talking about basketball, which is a very very very young sport.

The Lakers and the Celtics made basketball in the US in the the 80s. Michael Jordan in the 90s is arguably the first basketball personality to be a household name across the world.

Basketball is a young and an upcoming sport. Give it 30, 50 years. It's going to overtake soccer..

US + China are the world's biggest economies, and both are basketball countries. That's very very hard to ignore.

MiamiHeat
01-16-2010, 04:32 PM

you do know China loves soccer too right?
and there's reports that soccer was invented in China

nstojic
01-16-2010, 04:32 PM

The Lakers and the Celtics made basketball in the US in the the 80s. Michael Jordan in the 90s is arguably the first basketball personality to be a household name across the world.

Basketball is a young and an upcoming sport. Give it 30, 50 years. It's going to overtake soccer..

US + China are the world's biggest economies, and both are basketball countries. That's very very hard to ignore.

hey, no argument there... but we're talking about the present

and china is not as clear cut bball, as you might think

arkanian215
01-16-2010, 04:36 PM
you do know China loves soccer too right?
and there's reports that soccer was invented in China

not the current form but yes one of the earliest forms. i believe the japanese came up with it sometime between 1000 and 800 bc.

nipo10847
01-16-2010, 04:38 PM

lol...then u have no idea of their soccer team. that team made the world cup which brought whole lot more pride than representing olympic basketball. And yeah, nba players are popular there, but ask them about beckham, zidan, ronaldo, ronaldinho, messi. not even close dude.

Hellcrooner
01-16-2010, 04:40 PM
usa and china the biggest economys?

i have this euro in my pocket which is worht 1,4 dollars that say otherwise.

nipo10847
01-16-2010, 04:44 PM

1. No other sports can take it over. Soccer is simply too big for any other sports. Period.
2. You dont have any idea about chinese soccer. China is big in soccer than in basketball. If u dont believe me, ask ur chinese frnds if u have some. People who were born and brought up here seem to be ignorant about chinese soccer.

ManRam
01-16-2010, 04:45 PM

Are you serious? Yes...they ALL love basketball :rolleyes:

I've been to China, from the biggest megalopolises to the poorest towns in the world. Soccer is without a doubt the biggest sport in China, and if it wasn't for Yao Ming, basketball would NOT be relevant at all. Table tennis is even far more popular.

Less than 8-10 million people (depending on where you gather the info) watched the NBA Finals last year in China.

Jacob K.
01-16-2010, 04:45 PM
someone said it earlier, but theres not as many stats in soccer. Americans love stats. number numbers numbers! thats why beckham didnt make soccer gigantic in the states, because he didnt score the goal a game that lesser educated (in soccer) americans thought he would.

arkanian215
01-16-2010, 04:47 PM

doubt it. what makes you think basketball will thrive in europe and elsewhere in the world as it kinda has here? and their basketball is very different already. there's no salary cap, no "trading." if you can't sell basketball in your own backyard (memphis, seattle, new jersey) how can you expect to sell it to other countries, particularly our brand of basketball (big question for david stern since he's trying to globalize the NBA game).

also how many people in the world are in the 6ft to 7ft range and are athletic enough to even play? then top that off by restricting it to the number of guys who can understand the game. the quality won't be there.

the chinese pump way more money into soccer.

arkanian215
01-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Are you serious? Yes...they ALL love basketball :rolleyes:

I've been to China, from the biggest megalopolises to the poorest towns in the world. Soccer is without a doubt the biggest sport in China, and if it wasn't for Yao Ming, basketball would NOT be relevant at all. Table tennis is even far more popular.

Less than 8-10 million people (depending on where you gather the info) watched the NBA Finals last year in China.

and that's with kobe in the finals. if you had the magic and the suns i doubt it breaks 3 million.

arkanian215
01-16-2010, 04:53 PM
someone said it earlier, but theres not as many stats in soccer. Americans love stats. number numbers numbers! thats why beckham didnt make soccer gigantic in the states, because he didnt score the goal a game that lesser educated (in soccer) americans thought he would.

and they love scoring too. they're starting to get some nifty stats (highly irrelevant) into soccer. they're getting stuff like distance covered, a map of where each player spends most of his time on the field, passes completed (saw it in CL), tackles, etc. there's no stat remotely close to quantifying a player's value. Lee Carsley for example.

nstojic
01-16-2010, 04:53 PM
hahah you guys made short work of lakerboy

Hellcrooner
01-16-2010, 05:00 PM
basketball is not even Sport 2 worlwide.

you got more Tennis, F1, rugby fans for sure.

and that not even talking bout the big folowing that sports like Criket have in ex english colonies with lots of inhabitants like southafrica, pakistan, australia, India etc.

and botu "american" sports i woudl also say the most populat worlwide is Baseballe since its hugely folowed in Japan and almost all southamerica

smith&wesson
01-16-2010, 05:01 PM
i really dont think it would make a difference. either way you would be very rich and famous playing the sport you love.

theres no better or worst, its all a matter of opinion. if your a ball fan obviously youll say ball, if your a soccer fan youll say soccer. theres no wrong answer here.

arkanian215
01-16-2010, 05:04 PM

and that not even talking bout the big folowing that sports like Criket have in ex english colonies with lots of inhabitants like southafrica, pakistan, australia, India etc.

and botu "american" sports i woudl also say the most populat worlwide is Baseballe since its hugely folowed in Japan and almost all southamerica
i didnt realize people watched F1. definitely a reason to watch: http://www.pestaola.gr/images/keeley_hazell_f1_02.jpg

nstojic
01-16-2010, 05:06 PM
F1,

that opens up another topic entirely, for me... i don't consider anything involving vehicles a sport... just me..

nipo10847
01-16-2010, 05:07 PM

Cricket has more fans than basketball for sure.

lakerboy
01-16-2010, 05:15 PM
they all love soccer more. i remember watching the olympics and despite the country blowing at soccer, they still love it. they don't have a yao or yi in soccer and yet they still love it.

a lot of kids im america grow up playing soccer but for one reason or another stop playing when they get older.

Dude basketball is undoubtedly the #1 sport in China. Google it, and you'll just see some idiots making fun of the Chinese with table tennis.

NBA is so popular in China because of Yao, and Kobe, soccer isn't even close. A Chinese company even bought shares of the Cavs.

In the olympics, basketball was >>>>> soccer. This is the link of Kobe arriving for a press conference for the olympics. It was the LARGEST gathering of the media in the Beijing olympics.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/beijinggames/entries/2008/world-press-goes-nuts-over-u-s-hoops-team

Kobe is so big in China, and writers are starting to compare it to the Beatles mania. I don't have the other links at the moment, but I remember when Kobe came back to China again, people from all provinces even travelled to the cities just to take a glimpse of him. The **** is crazy, I'm telling you. Lakers, Nets, Rockets, Lakers, Nets, Rockets. Just them almost everyday on TV.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=41420607-48d4-4ad0-9074-bb3ef9f2c986
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-of-the-Day-Kobe-Bryant-China-s-rock-star?urn=nba,99890

At the opening ceremony, when hundreds of U.S. athletes marched into the Bird's Nest stadium, Chinese spectators had eyes only for Bryant.
"The crowd was chanting 'Ko-be, Ko-be' and I wanted to get next to him, so I would be on TV," American 100-meter dash king Tyson Gay said.
Gawkers wearing replica jerseys have stood in a downpour as heavy as a waterfall hoping to catch a glimpse of Bryant stepping off the team bus

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_10195227#ixzz0coN0l79w

During the opening ceremony, when Bryant's image flashed across the video screen, the stadium erupted. The only other athlete who received a louder ovation was Chinese basketball star Yao Ming.

Tuesday night he attended the men's soccer semifinal between Argentina and Brazil. Elsewhere in the world, there would be no bigger draw than Messi and Ronaldinho. The locals, however, went crazy when they spotted Bryant in the crowd.

Soccer may be the most popular sport in the world, but here, in this booming hoops nation, nobody can compare.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/beijing/basketball/2008-08-20-kobe_N.htm

But I'm going to give it to you man, Soccer is still the world's sport. But I have to say, basketball is knocking on its door.

RaptorizedKevin
01-16-2010, 05:19 PM
this thread should be closed. its nothing but biased comments being exheilerating from posters.

Hellcrooner
01-16-2010, 05:19 PM
^ you know how much chinese pay every summer to see Mufc, Real Madird or Barcelona play there ?

they got chaneels that play al the games in english, spanis and italina league,

and yes there is a reason basket at olumpics i better than soccer.

Basket sends all the top talent

while the soccer in olympics takes only players under 23 years old

arkanian215
01-16-2010, 05:22 PM
^ you know how much chinese pay every summer to see Mufc, Real Madird or Barcelona play there ?

they got chaneels that play al the games in english, spanis and italina league,

and yes there is a reason basket at olumpics i better than soccer.

Basket sends all the top talent

while the soccer in olympics takes only players under 23 years old

i think there's an exception of one senior member on that team. it's hard to get teams to release their players for the olympics.

TheWatcher34
01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
i'd rather be me !

Omar Little
01-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Without hesitation I would prefer to be the best basketball player in the world. When MJ was in his prime he was the most popular athlete in the world, not only could I not tell you who the most popular soccer player was at that time, but I cant name any soccer player of that era?

ManRam
01-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Without hesitation I would prefer to be the best basketball player in the world. When MJ was in his prime he was the most popular athlete in the world, not only could I not tell you who the most popular soccer player was at that time, but I cant name any soccer player of that era?

Ok. You live in America. Go ask a European. Your opinion is bias...just like theirs is. And I will disagree that Jordan was the most popular athlete in the world. I'd say even now, someone like Ronaldo is 5X as popular around the world as Jordan ever was.

Dude basketball is undoubtedly the #1 sport in China. Google it, and you'll just see some idiots making fun of the Chinese with table tennis.

Googling is cool. Go to China and tell me what it ACTUALLY is like. I've been there. Soccer>Basketball. It's close, but still...

In the olympics, basketball was >>>>> soccer. This is the link of Kobe arriving for a press conference for the olympics. It was the LARGEST gathering of the media in the Beijing olympics.

No ****. Soccer doesn't need the Olympics. They have the World Cup. Olympic Soccer is a joke...and it has nothing to do with popularity. Hilarious argument.

bigmac8675
01-16-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't know who the **** Ronaldingo is nor do I care because I live in the U.S. and soccer is irrelevant in the U.S.

Pretty much my thoughts.... I'd rather be the greatest basketball player. Its not like basketball is unknown outside the US. I guarantee you that most parts of the world people know who Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, etc are!