PDA

View Full Version : Can players ask for a paycut to open cap space

NetsPaint
01-16-2010, 12:38 AM
so they could get someone to improve the team?If so, has this happened?

dtmagnet
01-16-2010, 12:44 AM
The player's union wants players to try to make as much money as possible, they would stop it from happening.

SteveNash
01-16-2010, 12:55 AM

No.

It probably happened in the past, but I can't list any specific examples.

KeithLBC
01-16-2010, 04:22 AM
I remember Tim Duncan signing for less money than he could have a few years ago so that the team would have money to sign better players.

abe_froman
01-16-2010, 04:51 AM

yes you can do that and yes its happened,arenas did it a couple years ago so they could resign jamison(someone was mentioning an example)

kblo247
01-16-2010, 05:39 AM
Yes and no.

Yes you can give your team a discount, which is what Duncan did but signing for pennies is shunned by the player and NBAPA because it hurts the market value of others and screws up CBA negotiations.

Wilson
01-16-2010, 06:04 AM
If they're negotiating a new contract then they can, but they can't reqeust a paycut on their current contract, which are guaranteed.

Bucsfan
01-16-2010, 10:33 AM
I wish it was more like the NFL where they were more flexible with contracts, that way Kirilenko could shave his salary in half to about 8 mil a year

Lil Rhody
01-16-2010, 11:17 AM
In football Brady takes pay cuts and i remeber Bruschi giving back almost half of his salary cause he thought he was being paid to much

JasonJohnHorn
01-16-2010, 12:03 PM
YES!!! Players can do that and it has happened. Isaih Thomas actually did it for the Pistons so that they could sign Orlando Wooldrige. But its not something that happens very often. I think usually you need a career guys (like Duncan, Reggie Miller, Joe Dumars, ect..) who has no ego and sees himself as a part of the franchise long term and want to help his team. I wouldn't happen in most cases because teams are usually way over the cap and a player would have to take a huge cut in pay to make enough room, but back in the late 80's early 90's, even a million under the cap was enough to sign a good player. So if a tema was $600 000 under the cap and needed $400 000 more to sign a player, it was possible for a small pay cut to make a difference. Now its no likely. In Boston for example, to create cap room, Pierce, Allen and Garnett would all have to drop 10 000 000 to get them under the cap, but in turn teams over the cap are allowed to pay out the veteran minimum (over a million) and the mid-level exception as well, so teams have more mobility in terms of goign over the cap and picking up $1 000 000 players.

loki34
01-16-2010, 12:12 PM
nash did it last year