PDA

View Full Version : What fight would you watch?

yanks19791024
01-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Lets say both of these fights were live and free and there was no such thing as a DVR or any type or recording device.

1.Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao

2.Brock Lesnar vs Fedor Emelianenko

Oaktown R8ers
01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Lets say both of these fights were live and free and there was no such thing as a DVR or any type or recording device.

1.Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao

2.Brock Lesnar vs Fedor Emelianenko

:)

Havoc Wreaker
01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Pac-May

H-MYK
01-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Floyd vs Manny

Steelers>NFL
01-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Watch #2.
Boxing sucks these days. Boxing sucks for many years.

JDIsMyGod23
01-15-2010, 04:32 PM
I'd rather watch a real fight, than Floyd prance around for an hour doing everything he can to not be knocked out and try to win by decision.

Havoc Wreaker
01-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Watch #2.

I'd rather watch a real fight, than Floyd prance around for an hour doing everything he can to not be knocked out and try to win by decision.

Becuase there are no MMA fights where you just watch 2 grown-shirtless men in shorts cuddle in the middle of the ring for 3-5 rounds

:confused:

yanks19791024
01-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Becuase there are no MMA fights where you just watch 2 grown-shirtless men in shorts cuddle in the middle of the ring for 3-5 rounds

Ground fighting is part of the sport, can speak much about floyd bc I never watched a fight of his

NYKnickFanatic
01-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Pacquiao and Mayweather easily.

NYKnickFanatic
01-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Watch #2.

I dont know what you have been watching then.

IMO, Pacquiao brought boxing back. His fights are always action packed.

Phelps89
01-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Brock vs Fedor

The Ooh Child
01-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Both fights would be pretty incredible, but I enjoy watching MMA a lot more. I easily go with Fedor v. Lesnar.

JDIsMyGod23
01-15-2010, 04:53 PM

I'm no MMA expert by any means. But, pretty sure neither of those guys probably have a decision victory. And like someone said, it's part of the strategy and sport. I guess jab, jab run away is part of boxing. But, I'd rather watch wrestling that could lead to a choke or armbar than that sissy ****.

Ron!n
01-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Did Pacquio agree to the random drug tests?

jetsforever
01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Pac and Mayweather. Brock was seriously ill and I am a boxing fan before a MMA fan. Pac and Mayweather are the best in the business. People argue whether Brock is even the 2nd best heavyweight in MMA. I'd rather watch manny and floyd

jetsforever
01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Did Pacquio agree to the random drug tests?

Nope. He's going to murder some other good talented guy who just is not in his league on March 13.

yanks19791024
01-15-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm no MMA expert by any means. But, pretty sure neither of those guys probably have a decision victory. And like someone said, it's part of the strategy and sport. I guess jab, jab run away is part of boxing. But, I'd rather watch wrestling that could lead to a choke or armbar than that sissy ****.

Fedor has went to a decision but after some of the best mma fights ever.

JDIsMyGod23
01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Fedor has went to a decision but after some of the best mma fights ever.

Yea, like I said. I'm no expert. Just started recently getting into MMA.

yanks19791024
01-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Yea, like I said. I'm no expert. Just started recently getting into MMA.

Its all good new MMA fans are needed, you picked the right fight:D check out mmacore.com for some good fights and tonight on Spike best of Pride at 10pm... Also come post in the mma forum, by far the best and most respectful people on PSD.

JDIsMyGod23
01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Its all good new MMA fans are needed, you picked the right fight:D check out mmacore.com for some good fights and tonight on Spike best of Pride at 10pm... Also come post in the mma forum, by far the best and most respectful people on PSD.

I read it sometimes, but don't post so I don't sound like a moron. :laugh2:

nymetsrule
01-15-2010, 05:25 PM
I could never get into MMA or any of that stuff.

Usually when I want to watch people beat the **** out of each other, I watch FOX. Maybe I will try to get into it? What is so special about these fighters anyways, are they the topped ranked guys or something?

yanks19791024
01-15-2010, 05:26 PM
I could never get into MMA or any of that stuff.

Usually when I want to watch people beat the **** out of each other, I watch FOX. Maybe I will try to get into it? What is so special about these fighters anyways, are they the topped ranked guys or something?

Fedor is P4p top 3 all time and you dont know who Brock Lesnar is?

nymetsrule
01-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Fedor is P4p top 3 all time and you dont know who Brock Lesnar is?

Like I said, my knowledge on this subject is very limited. I have heard of him before, and I do recall that he is very good. I just don't know who the other guys are.

Jack of Blades
01-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Brock vs. Fedor. I've been wanting to see that match for a long time. Boxing just sucks anyways.

yanks19791024
01-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Brock Lesnar Pic-
http://www.celebritytalentsource.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/brock_lesnar_booking_agent.jpg

Fedor pic my fav is pic 2
1. http://lordn.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/6a00d8349f951869e201053685dd9f970c-320wi.jpg

2.http://api.ning.com/files/Fnb5N9wayxe1JfA-QD4UymkeoxKzH25SmU6AmyN4Ai2g-pfeXDKYmn4ltHOtSbvqixXhyp94Ti-aHcwSZfNAqAIuRsWUM20d/fedor.jpg

bigmac8675
01-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Pacquiao and Mayweather.... too bad its probably never gonna happen.

poppa12645
01-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Pac and May hands down

Brock and Fedor Yeah I want to watch a 230 pounder going up against a guy who is 265 on weigh day and about 285 to 290 come fight night

KeithLBC
01-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Although I've lost a lot of interest in boxing, I would have loved to see Floyd vs. Pacquiao. If I had to choose between the two fights, I'd have to say Lesnar vs. Emelianenko, just to see someone beat up Lesnar :p

BEARS+BULLS=:)
01-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Although I've lost a lot of interest in boxing, I would have loved to see Floyd vs. Pacquiao. If I had to choose between the two fights, I'd have to say Lesnar vs. Emelianenko, just to see someone beat up Lesnar :p

:clap::clap: I always mess around with my buddy, cause he hates Lesner so much, i pretend like i want Brock to win but i really wanna see him get his *** kicked lol

steelcityroller
01-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Pac and May hands down

Brock and Fedor Yeah I want to watch a 230 pounder going up against a guy who is 265 on weigh day and about 285 to 290 come fight night

So are you saying that Brock would win just because of the size difference?

For the record I would tivo them both :) But I was a boxing fan before getting into mma and over time boxing went into the crapper and I started following mma. The action in mma is >>>>> boxing for the most part. Sure there is the occasional boring fight but there are far fewer than there is nowadays in boxing.

I would watch Fedor vs Brock because I KNOW that would be an exciting fight because of the styles since both guys want to push the action. On the other hand I could see Floyd Mayweather Jr. running backwards for the entire fight against Pacman.

I would also rather watch Fedor vs Anderson Silva.

Your Name Here
01-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Royce Gracie vs. George Foreman

Sam_Quentin
01-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Royce Gracie vs. George Foreman

[terrible pun] Royce Gracie would blow Foreman's grill out [/terrible pun]

Young and Stupid
01-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Why would I wanna watch Floyd run around the ring while a midget tries to punch him. Boxing is dumb.

Best Regards,
MMA Guy

Why would I wanna watch two grown men cuddle in the middle of an octagon. MMA is for ****.

Yours Dearest,
Boxing Guy

steelcityroller
01-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Why would I wanna watch Floyd run around the ring while a midget tries to punch him. Boxing is dumb.

Best Regards,
MMA Guy

Why would I wanna watch two grown men cuddle in the middle of an octagon. MMA is for ****.

Yours Dearest,
Boxing Guy

That is actually a pretty accurate description of how most casual fans view the other sport.

td0tsfinest
01-15-2010, 10:41 PM
bigger MMA fan than boxing.

The_Mac22
01-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Brock Lesnar vs Fedor Emelianenko

And I'm a bigger boxing fan than a mma fan.

Stamina
01-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Brock Lesnar versus anyone!

Hyland
01-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Boxing has the highest Revenue for a Single Pay-Per-View Event
$120.0 million for De la Hoya vs Mayweather.

Boxing is one of the most popular sports in the world, come with another sport where you could put a big event once a month and have 500,000 people pay 50 dollars to watch it. That what Boxing is. You think MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL would have high ratings if you have to pay 50 dollars to watch the game?

Boxing is QUALITY, the most elite ATHLETES, and the most difficult sport in the world.... See More
Reference from this ESPN article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

MMA is amateur hours, their fights is just a lot of clumsily and sloppy striking and man sex.
Theres a lot of BUMS in the MMA, GSP is NICE, and you got like 5 other nice guys. Thats IT.

Boxing is loaded with elite athletes and quality fighters in the Featherweight, Welterweight, Middleweight divisions. The Klitschko brothers would eat UFC alive.

Young and Stupid
01-16-2010, 09:49 AM
MMA is amateur hours, their fights is just a lot of clumsily and sloppy striking and man sex.
Theres a lot of BUMS in the MMA, GSP is NICE, and you got like 5 other nice guys. Thats IT.

Boxing is loaded with elite athletes and quality fighters in the Featherweight, Welterweight, Middleweight divisions. The Klitschko brothers would eat UFC alive.

I like boxing more than MMA, but I strongly disagree. I did an MMA workout over the summer and it was w/o a doubt the most grueling thing I have ever done.

ChiSox219
01-16-2010, 10:27 AM
I respect MMA and watch it from time to time but it can't compare to a mega fight like Pac-Floyd would have been.

MJ-BULLS
01-16-2010, 01:41 PM
pac man vs. May all day

sucks that they called the fight off

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 02:06 PM
I like boxing more than MMA, but I strongly disagree. I did an MMA workout over the summer and it was w/o a doubt the most grueling thing I have ever done.

Floyd Mayweather:

http://alltalksports.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/floyd-mayweather-jr.jpg

Fedor:

http://stevescelebrities.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/fedor.jpg

:laugh2:

Tragedy
01-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Lesnar/Fedor. Two of the top heavyweights in the world (well, Fedor is, at least). It would be an interesting fight and something I would KILL to see.

Boxing is so ****ing boring. I don't see how people are as obsessed with it as they are.

FlakeyFool
01-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Pac vs Brock

Young and Stupid
01-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Floyd Mayweather:

http://alltalksports.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/floyd-mayweather-jr.jpg

Fedor:

http://stevescelebrities.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/fedor.jpg

:laugh2:

Ask any boxer, they will say if they tried to fight an MMA fighter they would have no chance. If B-Hop says "those guys would kick my ***" then I think you gotta take his word because he is one of the biggest talkers in boxing.

2009mvp
01-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Best Regards,
MMA Guy

Yours Dearest,
Boxing Guy

:laugh2: It's funny cause it's true.

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Ask any boxer, they will say if they tried to fight an MMA fighter they would have no chance. If B-Hop says "those guys would kick my ***" then I think you gotta take his word because he is one of the biggest talkers in boxing.

Whoa, really? A 285 pound guy would win in a street fight against a boxer? Amazing!

Boxing rules, the boxer would win every time. MMA rules, the MMA fighter would win every time. That isn't a very good point.

The UFC HW champion Brock Lesnar is 285 pounds. He generally outweighs his opponents by 30+ lbs. Wow, he took him to the ground and outmuscled him. Awesome dude, now flip off the crowd and act like a complete moron. Sweet! Let's put on some Ed Hardy now and celebrate this.

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 04:09 PM
I have zero interest in boxing. I'm not knocking it, I just never got into it. However I've been watching MMA for about 5 years and recently started training. So I'll go with Brock vs. Fedor.

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Whoa, really? A 285 pound guy would win in a street fight against a boxer? Amazing!

Boxing rules, the boxer would win every time. MMA rules, the MMA fighter would win every time. That isn't a very good point.

The UFC HW champion Brock Lesnar is 285 pounds. He generally outweighs his opponents by 30+ lbs. Wow, he took him to the ground and outmuscled him. Awesome dude, now flip off the crowd and act like a complete moron. Sweet! Let's put on some Ed Hardy now and celebrate this.

A couple of problems with your post:
1. UFC limits the HWs to 265lbs at weigh-ins.
2. Boxing is allowed in MMA and sometimes consumes at least half of a fight. It isn't always pretty but these guys aren't professional boxers.

Young and Stupid
01-16-2010, 04:19 PM

So why do you hate MMA?..

Driven
01-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Lesnar is in terrible shape and the chance of him and Fedor fighting at any point are slim to none. The heavyweight division in MMA is really weak, too.

I'll take Pac and Mayweather.

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 04:38 PM
A couple of problems with your post:
1. UFC limits the HWs to 265lbs at weigh-ins.
2. Boxing is allowed in MMA and sometimes consumes at least half of a fight. It isn't always pretty but these guys aren't professional boxers.

He outweighed Mir by 20 lbs. He outweighed Couture by 40 lbs. Need I go on?

The boxing is a joke in MMA. Mayweather has more technique, skill, and conditioning than any of them.

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 04:42 PM
So why do you hate MMA?..

Because the rules of UFC give an advantage to who weighs more instead of giving it to the better conditioned/more skilled.

Example: There is a 120 pound kid at my school that boxes. And he's good. He would probably kick my *** in a boxing ring. Say there's another kid that does MMA at the same weight. I outweigh him by about 50 pounds. I would win in the fight pretty much no matter what. No matter how much technique he has in BJJ or any other area, I could just plain outmuscle him.

Young and Stupid
01-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Say there's another kid that does MMA at the same weight. I outweigh him by about 50 pounds. I would win in the fight pretty much no matter what. No matter how much technique he has in BJJ or any other area, I could just plain outmuscle him.

:laugh2: Wow.

jetsforever
01-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Wow this is deadlocked right now.

Driven
01-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Because the rules of UFC give an advantage to who weighs more instead of giving it to the better conditioned/more skilled.

Example: There is a 120 pound kid at my school that boxes. And he's good. He would probably kick my *** in a boxing ring. Say there's another kid that does MMA at the same weight. I outweigh him by about 50 pounds. I would win in the fight pretty much no matter what. No matter how much technique he has in BJJ or any other area, I could just plain outmuscle him.
:facepalm:

Bucsfan
01-16-2010, 05:05 PM
both would be good, but i would love to see lesnar get his *** kicked....but at the same time i want pacquiao to shut up mathweather....but i give teh edge to MMA cause i like it more

Bucsfan
01-16-2010, 05:08 PM

I highly doubt that, you may think that, but boxers are one dimensional, and if you think boxer are more muscular than MMA fighters you are wrong

I have a hard time believign a boxing guy could dominate a MMA guy no matter what...what would happen if that boxer got taken to the ground? he would lose...what happens if he gets kicked in his weaker legs? he would fall down..should i keep going? MMA fighters are better all around

im sure some boxers could pull it off, but not against the good MMA fighters

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 05:19 PM

The boxing is a joke in MMA. Mayweather has more technique, skill, and conditioning than any of them.

Yes please do go on. But this time please post something relevant. You claimed that Lesnar fights at 285lbs and doesn't. MMA rules don't allow that. And the fact that he outweighs other guys in the division is also irrelevant. The division is 205lbs-265lbs.

I don't disagree that Mayweather is a better boxer than an MMA guy. Again that is irrelevant. And as far as conditioning goes, watch Diego Sanchez, Clay Guida, or Urijah Faber fight. Then come back and tell me about conditioning.

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 05:22 PM
:laugh2: Wow.

:confused: I don't understand what is wrong with this statement. I have had no training in MMA, BJJ, wrestling or any other area. I have had a real wrestling match a kid on the wrestling team who had to be 40 lbs. lighter than me. I beat him in about 30 seconds. Pinned.

You give me a :facepalm:, but imagine if Lesnar fought GSP. GSP has much more skill and technique, yet would just be plain outmuscled.

Driven
01-16-2010, 05:23 PM
:confused: I don't understand what is wrong with this statement. I have had no training in MMA, BJJ, wrestling or any other area. I have had a real wrestling match a kid on the wrestling team who had to be 40 lbs. lighter than me. I beat him in about 30 seconds. Pinned.

You give me a :facepalm:, but imagine if Lesnar fought GSP. GSP has much more skill and technique, yet would just be plain outmuscled.
No ****. That's why they have divisions. :facepalm:

And I'd really like the statistics that show that the bigger guy in the fight will always win. Not saying that the bigger guy doesn't win more than he loses, I have no idea, but you're basing your thoughts off nothing but what you want to believe.

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 05:24 PM

This is funny. I'll tell you what. Go ahead and tell someone like Hong Man Choi, Bob Sapp, or Tim Sylvia about how the rules favor the heavier guys. I think they might beg to differ.

Example rebuttal: There is a 120 pound guy that I train with. I outweigh him by 50lbs and am much stronger than him. Oh and he is fighting for a light weight title in Tulsa tonight. I guarantee you that he would destroy me if we were to fight.

Tragedy
01-16-2010, 05:25 PM

For the record, UFC Heavyweights must be at 265 for a match.

Also..I keep hearing the heavier guy will always win, yadda yadda yadda. Apparently MMA consists of only the Heavyweight division? I guess we're going to ignore the 185 pound Anderson Silva, one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time? I guess we'll also ignore 170 lb George St. Pierre, one of the greatest MMA fights currently? Should I keep going? BJ Penn? I mean, come on. Lets sit here and say "MMA is a joke because Brock Lesnar is very large" and lets completely ignore that the best of the best (in UFC) is almost every division OTHER than the Heavyweight division.

Good god.

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 05:28 PM

Oh I forgot to tell you that Mir beat Lesnar in their first fight. Mir got caught in some vicious ground and pound but found the smallest opening to catch Lesnar in an ankle lock. Lesnar tapped. Technique and skill won that match.

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Yes please do go on. But this time please post something relevant. You claimed that Lesnar fights at 285lbs and doesn't. MMA rules don't allow that. And the fact that he outweighs other guys in the division is also irrelevant. The division is 205lbs-265lbs.

I don't disagree that Mayweather is a better boxer than an MMA guy. Again that is irrelevant. And as far as conditioning goes, watch Diego Sanchez, Clay Guida, or Urijah Faber fight. Then come back and tell me about conditioning.

How is that irrelevant? My point was that in MMA the weight advantage plays a significant part in the result on the fight, while in boxing it does not.

http://www.sherdog.com/stats/fightstats/matchstats_ufc

Wanna talk about conditioning? How many rounds to a UFC fight?

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 05:30 PM
No ****. That's why they have divisions. :facepalm:

And I'd really like the statistics that show that the bigger guy in the fight will always win. Not saying that the bigger guy doesn't win more than he loses, I have no idea, but you're basing your thoughts off nothing but what you want to believe.

Now you can't read? When did I say that the bigger guy will always win.

Here's my argument which I have stated at least 3 times: The reason I do not like MMA is because there is a significant advantage to the heavier person which does not exist in boxing.

Driven
01-16-2010, 05:31 PM

Here's my argument which I have stated at least 3 times: The reason I do not like MMA is because there is a significant advantage to the heavier person which does not exist in boxing.
There's also a significant advantage to the person with more skill.

Driven
01-16-2010, 05:32 PM
There's also a significant advantage to a basketball player being tall. Or a baseball player being strong. Or a weight lifter to be able to lift more weight. Or a hunter with better eye sight. Or a hockey player who can skate better. Or a tennis player who hits the ball faster. Or a football player with more speed.

2009mvp
01-16-2010, 05:33 PM
How is that irrelevant? My point was that in MMA the weight advantage plays a significant part in the result on the fight, while in boxing it does not.

Yes it does...(sometimes)

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 05:33 PM
This is funny. I'll tell you what. Go ahead and tell someone like Hong Man Choi, Bob Sapp, or Tim Sylvia about how the rules favor the heavier guys. I think they might beg to differ.

Example rebuttal: There is a 120 pound guy that I train with. I outweigh him by 50lbs and am much stronger than him. Oh and he is fighting for a light weight title in Tulsa tonight. I guarantee you that he would destroy me if we were to fight.

Bob Sapp is 10-6 in his MMA career. You really think this is because of skill?

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 05:34 PM

Based on your nice little link there it looks like the average UFC fight is 1.93 rounds. That's all well and good. There are hundreds of promotions that are not the UFC. Again I'll defer you to a Sanchez, Guida, or Faber fight for an example of conditioning.

I'm not saying boxers aren't well conditioned. I'd be stupid to say that. My point of contention is just how much more conditioned boxers are.

I could argue that MMA fights are more demanding than a boxing match. But I won't, I want to watch some Playoff Football. :D

Young and Stupid
01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Kenny I hope you're being tongue-in-cheek.

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Bob Sapp is 10-6 in his MMA career. You really think this is because of skill?

Of course not. He is a big man that usually fights in Super Heavyweight circus fights. My point is that against smaller skilled fighters he doesn't stand much of a chance. Simple example: Bob Sapp is listed at 350lbs. On 5/26/2009 he tapped out to Ikuhisa Minowa, who is listed at 197lbs.

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 05:41 PM
There's also a significant advantage to a basketball player being tall. Or a baseball player being strong. Or a weight lifter to be able to lift more weight. Or a hunter with better eye sight. Or a hockey player who can skate better. Or a tennis player who hits the ball faster. Or a football player with more speed.

The significant advantage in these sports is having more skill. Derek Jeter, strong? Wayne Gretzky, the best skater? Peyton Manning, strong or fast?

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 05:42 PM

I don't follow boxing at all but don't they also weight classes? Wouldn't also make sense that a heavy weight boxer would have an advantage over a feather weight or a bantam weight?

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Kenny I hope you're being tongue-in-cheek.
:D

I'm exaggerating of course. But I really do keep my original opinion.

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 05:45 PM
The significant advantage in these sports is having more skill. Derek Jeter, strong? Wayne Gretzky, the best skater? Peyton Manning, strong or fast?

Whether you want to believe it or not the same holds true in MMA.

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't follow boxing at all but don't they also weight classes? Wouldn't also make sense that a heavy weight boxer would have an advantage over a feather weight or a bantam weight?

But only if the heavy-weight punches harder. This is assuming the heavy-weight is stronger and therefore has more power.

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Whether you want to believe it or not the same holds true in MMA.

The majority in MMA is skill. I will not debate that. But what I will debate is that is has a larger affect on the sport than almost any other one. Think about it: it's basically a free for all fight. Wouldn't you think that in a free for all fight, the bigger guy has an advantage?

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Also..I keep hearing the heavier guy will always win, yadda yadda yadda. Apparently MMA consists of only the Heavyweight division? I guess we're going to ignore the 185 pound Anderson Silva, one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time? I guess we'll also ignore 170 lb George St. Pierre, one of the greatest MMA fights currently? Should I keep going? BJ Penn? I mean, come on. Lets sit here and say "MMA is a joke because Brock Lesnar is very large" and lets completely ignore that the best of the best (in UFC) is almost every division OTHER than the Heavyweight division.

Good god.

Anderson Silva, absolute max for his weight class. George St. Pierre, absolute max for his weight class. BJ Penn, absolute max for his weight class.

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 06:05 PM
The majority in MMA is skill. I will not debate that. But what I will debate is that is has a larger affect on the sport than almost any other one. Think about it: it's basically a free for all fight. Wouldn't you think that in a free for all fight, the bigger guy has an advantage?

MMA is not an all out free for all fight at all, in the early days it might have been considered that, but not today. In a free for all fight I don't really disagree that the bigger guy would win. In the example you used previously of you being able to beat up a 120lb kid at your school, I assume it's high school, I don't doubt that as the bigger kid you could beat up a 120lber. I'll also bet that you guys are not trained professional fighters.

Anderson Silva, absolute max for his weight class. George St. Pierre, absolute max for his weight class. BJ Penn, absolute max for his weight class.

These weight classes are in 15lb increments. In fact you'll be hard pressed to find guys within these divisions that are not within 5lbs of the max limit. BJ Penn was a Champion at 170 but now fights at 155. I'm not sure what your point is.

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 06:07 PM
But only if the heavy-weight punches harder. This is assuming the heavy-weight is stronger and therefore has more power.

So essentially what you're saying is that the heavyweight would beat the bantam or lightweight guy? That's you're whole argument against MMA.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-16-2010, 06:12 PM
I grew up a huge boxing fan. When I was a kid the boxing welterweights and middleweights were incredible. I was a snob against MMA for a while but it won me over. MMA especially the UFC is really for the fans entertainment. Its not only about winning. The UFC wants to see fights finished. The fight of the night, KO of the night and submission of the night get legit bonus's handed to them. The gloves are smaller, the fights are shorter, and that leads to more action on average in my eyes.

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 06:34 PM
MMA is not an all out free for all fight at all, in the early days it might have been considered that, but not today. In a free for all fight I don't really disagree that the bigger guy would win. In the example you used previously of you being able to beat up a 120lb kid at your school, I assume it's high school, I don't doubt that as the bigger kid you could beat up a 120lber. I'll also bet that you guys are not trained professional fighters.

These weight classes are in 15lb increments. In fact you'll be hard pressed to find guys within these divisions that are not within 5lbs of the max limit. BJ Penn was a Champion at 170 but now fights at 155. I'm not sure what your point is.

I meant free for all as their a not many limits on the style of fighting. Not that is was barbaric or a bar fight. This is true, neither of us are trained professional fighters. But how about if we were both trained since we were 5 years old and had similar skills? I would probably still win.

As for your next point, didn't GSP outweight Alves by 15 lbs. when they fought?

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 06:35 PM
So essentially what you're saying is that the heavyweight would beat the bantam or lightweight guy? That's you're whole argument against MMA.

No, that's not what I'm saying. In fact, I think Mayweather could beat some of the top heavyweights in boxing, same with Pac. I don't think GSP or Alves could beat any of the top heavyweights in MMA.

2009mvp
01-16-2010, 06:44 PM
No, that's not what I'm saying. In fact, I think Mayweather could beat some of the top heavyweights in boxing, same with Pac. I don't think GSP or Alves could beat any of the top heavyweights in MMA.

That's insane. Neither of the two would stand a chance against even the top super-middleweights or light-heavyweights, let alone heavyweights.

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I meant free for all as their a not many limits on the style of fighting. Not that is was barbaric or a bar fight. This is true, neither of us are trained professional fighters. But how about if we were both trained since we were 5 years old and had similar skills? I would probably still win.

As for your next point, didn't GSP outweight Alves by 15 lbs. when they fought?

If you're talking about Thiago Alves he is listed at 170lbs. They fought last July and I don't remember his exact weight but I would be absolutely shocked if he weighed 155lbs.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-16-2010, 07:48 PM
If you're talking about Thiago Alves he is listed at 170lbs. They fought last July and I don't remember his exact weight but I would be absolutely shocked if he weighed 155lbs.

Alves previously had trouble making the 170 weight limit vs Hughes. He was not 155. He is one of the bigger welterweights.

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 07:51 PM
That's insane. Neither of the two would stand a chance against even the top super-middleweights or light-heavyweights, let alone heavyweights.

When Mayweather was at 154 pounds, I have no doubt he could have knocked off some of the top super-middleweights or light-heavyweights.

The_Mac22
01-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Let Mayweather fight one of the Klitschko brothers and he'll get that *** handed to him.

EDIT: Pac too.

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Alves previously had trouble making the 170 weight limit vs Hughes. He was not 155. He is one of the bigger welterweights.

I wouldn't be surprised if he walked around at 195-200lbs. He is huge.

2009mvp
01-16-2010, 08:01 PM
When Mayweather was at 154 pounds, I have no doubt he could have knocked off some of the top super-middleweights or light-heavyweights.

You think Mayweather, a natural welterweight who couldn't hurt a lightweight fighting 15+ pounds heavier than he should have in Marquez could handle 168 pounders? I hope you realize how ridiculous that statement is. A guy like Arthur Abraham would absolutely clean Floyd's clock (he's just one example), and I say that as someone who believes Little Floyd's the most talented fighter on the planet.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he walked around at 195-200lbs. He is huge.

195-205 is exactly what I have read for his walking around weight in between fights. Some people have spoke of him moving up to middleweight but I think he should stay at welterweight if he can make the cut without hurting his fighting.

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Let Mayweather fight one of the Klitschko brothers and he'll get that *** handed to him.

EDIT: Pac too.

:laugh:

Of course he would. I'm not saying he could be the heavyweight champ. However, I do think if a 155-160 lbs. Mayweather fought a small super-middleweight/light heavyweight he could win.

Pedroia
01-16-2010, 08:07 PM
195-205 is exactly what I have read for his walking around weight in between fights. Some people have spoke of him moving up to middleweight but I think he should stay at welterweight if he can make the cut without hurting his fighting.

Especially if GSP takes time off to train for wrestling. Alves vs BJ at 170 perhaps?

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 08:15 PM
You think Mayweather, a natural welterweight who couldn't hurt a lightweight fighting 15+ pounds heavier than he should have in Marquez could handle 168 pounders? I hope you realize how ridiculous that statement is. A guy like Arthur Abraham would absolutely clean Floyd's clock (he's just one example), and I say that as someone who believes Little Floyd's the most talented fighter on the planet.

I never said he could beat the best, or be the best. Abraham is an undefeated middleweight, and would kill Mayweather.

However, I honestly think that he could put up a very good fight against guys like Travis Simms, Edson Aguirre, and even some huge guys like Marcus Luck.

2009mvp
01-16-2010, 08:41 PM
OK, but I fail to see how Mayweather putting up a fight against scrubs like Simms and Aguire proves your original point...

And for the record, your exact words were:

I have no doubt he could have knocked off some of the top super-middleweights or light-heavyweights.

Maybe we differ on the definition of 'top middleweight,' but I don't call Simms, a guy who'd be lucky to crack a top-20 list of middleweights in the world 'top.'

Kenny Krew
01-16-2010, 09:29 PM
OK, but I fail to see how Mayweather putting up a fight against scrubs like Simms and Aguire proves your original point...

And for the record, your exact words were:

Maybe we differ on the definition of 'top middleweight,' but I don't call Simms, a guy who'd be lucky to crack a top-20 list of middleweights in the world 'top.'

I haven't really ever looked at the rankings. I was just using them as an example.. where do you think Mayweather would rank on a middleweight list?

The_Mac22
01-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Okay than, if Mayweather fought a guy like Paul Williams, Mayweather would get beat up.

The_Mac22
01-16-2010, 10:46 PM
I haven't really ever looked at the rankings. I was just using them as an example.. where do you think Mayweather would rank on a middleweight list?

Not top 5.

hizpcstr
01-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Why did this get moved to boxing? :eyebrow:

2009mvp
01-17-2010, 03:28 AM

That's hard to say, especially now when the division isn't nearly as deep as we've seen it in the past. A lot of people would have Danny Jacobs at the tail end of a top-10 list. A quick MW who's not really a big puncher like Jacobs would be a good fight for Floyd IMO. Doesn't necessarily put him in the top-10. I just don't think he has the power to hurt a MW, and there's more than a handful of guys who'll feel that and keep coming ala Castillo, the difference of course being that these guys have MW punching power.

yanks19791024
01-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Why was this moved its not a boxing question its a General Discussions question...

ULT WARRIOR408
01-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Of course I voted for the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight.I am a boxing guy & as much as I have tried to get into mma I'm just not interested in it.

Hyland
01-28-2010, 09:44 PM

So all MMA workouts are the same and are all boxing work outs are the same.

Makes sense.