PDA

View Full Version : This Shaq quote on 2K10 is bugging me

Chronz
01-15-2010, 04:12 PM
If youve played my player mode on NBA2K10 youve heard it, the "The day I stopped caring about stats was the day I started winning", yet when looking at his stats, they were at their best when the Lakers were winning titles.

Is it possible Shaq got in the way of his own effectiveness by consciously trying to accumulate stats, or was he just saying a tired cliche to come off as noble?

FOBolous
01-15-2010, 04:26 PM
it's a good quote that teaches the value of teamwork. it helps young kids these days who only cares about highlight plays how to be a truly good basketball player. the end. if you want to bash Shaq for pretending like a know-it-all basketball guru...know this: you do a better job of that on these forums than Shaq ever will in his lifetime. at least Shaq is actually a professional of the sport who has experience...unlike ____ :rolleyes:

badinger7
01-15-2010, 04:30 PM
My guess is the latter. He is the big shaqtus, arostotle, etc.

bigsams50
01-15-2010, 04:33 PM
If youve played my player mode on NBA2K10 youve heard it, the "The day I stopped caring about stats was the day I started winning", yet when looking at his stats, they were at their best when the Lakers were winning titles.

Is it possible Shaq got in the way of his own effectiveness by consciously trying to accumulate stats, or was he just saying a tired cliche to come off as noble?

This lol

Pierzynski4Prez
01-15-2010, 04:39 PM
for most players, trying to pad their stats may be harmful to a team winning or losing. But for players like Shaq in his prime, LBJ, Kobe, etc, when those guys do good and put up big numbers, odds are their teams are on the winning side. But there are only a handful of guys who would be putting up large numbers as those.

hvg
01-15-2010, 04:40 PM
he's just trying to say that he played better when he stopped worrying about stats. eventually, playing better will lead to better stats on its own.

GREATNESS ONE
01-15-2010, 04:47 PM
it's a good quote that teaches the value of teamwork. it helps young kids these days who only cares about highlight plays how to be a truly good basketball player. the end. if you want to bash Shaq for pretending like a know-it-all basketball guru...know this: you do a better job of that on these forums than Shaq ever will in his lifetime. at least Shaq is actually a professional of the sport who has experience...unlike ____ :rolleyes:

I love poker

MegaFauna
01-15-2010, 04:49 PM
dammit FOBolous, how am i supposed to think about sports when you have a pic like that on your sig, my mind turns to puddy

Chronz
01-15-2010, 04:54 PM

Hes talking about stats though not highlights, its not like hes saying the day I stopped caring about highlight plays is the day ... you know.

Im not bashing Shaq Im trying to get where hes coming from. Is he even being honest here? Werent their rumors about him wanting to be the man in Phoenix for some reason? Isnt that cuz he cares about his "touches"? Im not pretending to know anything, so please stop jumping to conclusions. Im Shaqs BIGGEST fan, why would I bash him? Just answer and move on, Im growing tired of these personality profiles you Rocket extremists push on me.

Now that thats settled answer me one thing. If you truly do believe Shaqs words, then do you think its possible that he stunted his own statistical worth by trying too hard to get them? Or is there some other explanation your not sharing ?

twoearl
01-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Part of being a Smart basketball player is knowing who the best player on your team is and making sure he gets the majority of the touches.

Chronz
01-15-2010, 05:07 PM
he's just trying to say that he played better when he stopped worrying about stats. eventually, playing better will lead to better stats on its own.

Part of being a Smart basketball player is knowing who the best player on your team is and making sure he gets the majority of the touches.

agreed

smith&wesson
01-15-2010, 05:08 PM

option b) tired clishe to come of as noble.

FOBolous
01-15-2010, 06:58 PM
dammit FOBolous, how am i supposed to think about sports when you have a pic like that on your sig, my mind turns to puddy

yea she's pretty hot. her name's Misa Campo. she's pretty well known too but for some reason, there's not much pictures of her out there :(

Raph12
01-15-2010, 07:56 PM
This lol

x2

Shaq's a glory hog and an attention ****, he loves to be in the spotlight.

superkegger
01-15-2010, 09:17 PM
I really don't think you can take half (if not more) of what shaq says seriously. He loves the sound of his voice, and just loves to talk. He loves that people love to hear him talk. So he says a lot of stuff, and because he's Shaq, he gets away with most everything.

JasonJohnHorn
01-15-2010, 10:15 PM
The quote is a great quote, and Tim Duncan is a perfect example of that. He doesn't care what the stat sheets say at games end.

I'm not sure Shaq is the best example of this, but I remember when he arrived in Miami he had what was likely his worst statistical season ever that year, yet he was in the MVP conversation (with Nash) all year, because he deferred to teammates. Comparing his time in LA with his time in Orlando a similar arguement could be made. Shaq was humble by Phil Jackson. I remember a story where Phil Jackson, knowing that Shaq looked to Chamberlain's dominance as a measuring bar, what Shaq though was Chamberlain's most impressive accomplishment. Shaq had said something to the effect of averaging 50 points and 25 rebounds a game and Jackson suggested that is was the fact he had averaged 48 minutes a game. Shaq took that as a challenge and Phil played him extremely heavy minutes for several consecutive games before conceding he couldn't do that. Its instances like this, where Shaq through his career learned different aspect of the game and can to respect things that didn't show up in your stat lines. That's not to say he wasn't putting up good stat, jus that he stopped caring about what his stat lines said. In Orlando Shaq used to try to be the man, take the ball to the hoop and be the go-to guy. In LA Shaq developed a strong passing game, posting a career high 3.8 assists a game without increasing his turnovers, and realizing that free-throws were a personal flaw, he deferred big shots to role players like Robert Horry and D. Fischer. That season where he had a career high in assists, was his first season with Jackson and his first title. Its the point in his career where he looked to move the ball to his teammates and take the focus off himself. He still had a great scoring average, but it was impart because he'd helped his teammates get invovled the defences had to spread out and made the double teams coming over to Shaq were often late, making it easier for him to score.

So yeah, I think that is a sincere quote. I'm not a Shaq fan, but I saw improvements in his team play and that helped him win titles. Of course, when the refs give you a $h!t load of calls and let you get away with all kinds of offensive fouls, that helps too, but... you know what I mean ;-)