PDA

View Full Version : Changing the All-Star Voting

AlexTmz2
01-15-2010, 01:33 PM
By: Preetom Bhattacharya-HoopsWorld

When you see that Tracy McGrady is second in Western Conference guard voting for the All-Star Game because of his tremendous fan following and voting, it's easy to start a conversation about possibly changing the structure with which the voting occurs.

Ray Allen, the Boston Celtics star, outwardly is talking about that possibility. In an interview with Ken Berger of CBSSports.com, Allen expressed his concern with the way voting is currently run.

"I think the fan voting is watered down," he told Berger. "I like the fact that the fans get the opportunity to vote and pick who they'd like to see in the All-Star game. But I don't think it should be 100 percent."

The thoughtful Allen pushed for a system that includes fan, media, and player voting. A system like that would prevent the McGrady (and Allen Iverson) embarrassment in fan voting, making the All-Star Game a true achievement for players. Allen wasn't calling McGrady out directly, saying that if McGrady were getting playing time, he would probably play solid enough to be an All-Star player. The current system, though, takes away from a more-deserving Western Conference guard, like Steve Nash, Brandon Roy, or Deron Williams.

"The players will truthfully know who's had a truly great first half of the season," Allen said. "You would have five guys starting for the All-Star team regardless of hype or highlight. You just get guys that had the best first half of the season."

"You guys should have a say-so," Allen continued, speaking of the media. "You're obviously watching games night in and night out. The players are the ones scouting each other and they know exactly who is beating them every night and who they're watching on film. So they see everything."

So what do you think? Should the voting structure be altered? Should the fan voting still be the main way starters are determined, with coaches deciding the bench? What's your proposal to make the game more meaningful? Or should it not be at all? Sound off in the comments section below.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14984

AlexTmz2
01-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Love the idea that not only fans but also the media and more important the players. Opinions?

loufor2
01-15-2010, 01:52 PM
it is a game for the fans afterall.

Hellcrooner
01-15-2010, 02:12 PM
voting is a travesty in itself

only coaches and players should have a say in it.

i mean is carmelo anthony really 1,5 times better than dirk?

is dirk three times a better player than Duncan and Gasol?

its ridiculous

faridk89
01-15-2010, 02:18 PM
yeah i think it should be 25 percent fans, 25 percent media and 50 percent player voting

Raph12
01-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Extremely stupid of Ray to say that.

The ASG is supposed to be for the fans, hell the whole league is run by their fans' salaries. For one night a year, the fans have a choice to see who they want to play in the same building and now they want to take that away from them as well?

Just plain stupid IMHO.

JasonJohnHorn
01-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Love the idea that not only fans but also the media and more important the players. Opinions?

YES!!! The players. I'm not sure they should decide on the all-star game, but I think having players and coaches vote for MVP instead of sports writers would be a great improvement. Nobody knows better than the people on the court and on the sidelines who the MVP truly is.

As for the all-star team, I'm of too minds. The all-star game is for the fans. The fans vote Vince Carter to the all-star team while he was with the Nets despite lackluster numbers and better performances from other shooting guards, but nobody seemed to take issue with that. In Jordan's final season the coaches put him on the team despite the fact that he wasn't really playing an all-star season, and even though the fans didn't pick him that year, Vince Carter (who had been voted to the starting line up) saw immense pressure to step aside and let Jordan start.

Some players, like Jordan, have a storied career. Having them on the all-star team in their last season is seen as something special by some people, but at the same time, which players warrant such treatment? Karl Malone didn't get to play on the all-star team his final season. Shaq likely won't get to do that. This may be Iverson's final season and people are bemoaning the fact fans are selecting him to the all-star team.

I suppose there need to be some questions asked. Like: what means more, an all-star selection or an All-NBA team selection. I've always seen the all-star game as a circus event for fans. There are lots of young fans who like guys like Carter, McGrady and Iverson, and these yougn fans have a passion for the game even if they don't know it very well, and they watch a lot of games, buy merchandise and go to games. I know when I was a teen I watched a lot more games than I do now, and I bought a lot more merchandise. So even though I know there are more deserving players than McGrady and Iverson, I also feel like the fans who take the time to vote and watch more games deserve to get to see the guys they love to watch, even if means there are a couple of $#!tty players on the all-star team. To me, as a mature fan, the All-NBA team selections are more a measure of you performance over the season than the all-star team selection because it is based on the performance over the entire season (not mid-season) and is chosen my mature and educated fans.

The fans pick the starting line-up, coaches pick the reserves. That sounds like a pretty good system, even though it is flawed.

One correction that could be made is having fans vote on each individual position, like point guard, shooting guard, small forward and power forward, that way two shooting guard don't get voted into the starting line up. That would resolv the McGrasdy issue at least, and the Iverson issue if you had him listed as a shooting guard.

B-Ray
01-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Extremely stupid of Ray to say that.

The ASG is supposed to be for the fans, hell the whole league is run by their fans' salaries. For one night a year, the fans have a choice to see who they want to play in the same building and now they want to take that away from them as well?

Just plain stupid IMHO.

I'm a fan and I'd prefer if the players and coaches had some say so more deserving players got to play or start in the All Star game.

BTownTeamsRKing
01-15-2010, 02:37 PM
how can anyone say that what Ray said is stupid when yi jianlian or watever his no name is almost ended up starting last year and this year AI and T-mac are way up there in voting despite the fact they both now SUCK. they dont even play. They are just names now.

the all star game is a joke anyways. last years kobe shaq love fest was damn near homo. didnt even watch the second half.

AlexTmz2
01-15-2010, 05:11 PM
how can anyone say that what Ray said is stupid when yi jianlian or watever his no name is almost ended up starting last year and this year AI and T-mac are way up there in voting despite the fact they both now SUCK. they dont even play. They are just names now.

the all star game is a joke anyways. last years kobe shaq love fest was damn near homo. didnt even watch the second half.

:nod:

Raph12
01-15-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm a fan and I'd prefer if the players and coaches had some say so more deserving players got to play or start in the All Star game.

Sorry but this is America and in America we have a democratic system and last I checked when voting, majority rules. If majority of the fans want to watch Tmac and AI then I'll be damned if I try to get in the way of that.

I HAVE A DREAM!... THAT ALL THE KOBE FANS, LEBRON FANS AND EVEN CELTICS FANS CAN JOIN TOGETHER WITH THE TMAC/AI FANS AND JUST ENJOY THE ALLSTAR GAME WITHOUT RIOTING! ;)

td0tsfinest
01-15-2010, 10:30 PM
I think Ballots shouldn't be created until at least a month into the season.

At least that way, we have a better view of who's going to be playing for the forseeable future. Eliminate players due to injuries like T-Mac and those suffering with low stats (guys like AI, Elton Brand).