PDA

View Full Version : LOWER nba salary cap to 45 MIL

illegallover
01-15-2010, 01:14 AM
LOWER ALL MAX CONTRACT DEALS AND SALARY CAP....

LOWER TICKET PRICES SO I CAN ACTUALLY SIT CLOSE ENOUGH TO SEE THE PLAYERS...

CHANGE FREE AGENCY RULES

It's A PRIVILEGE TO PLAY IN THE LEAGUE

It's ludicrous how much these players make,

Hence all the "bad contracts"

Technically the highest paid player TMAC gets over $$$282 000 PER NBA GAME
mind you, I'm not considering travel days / training camp / practices / team engagements

illegallover
01-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Hard CAP 60 MIL

illegallover
01-15-2010, 01:19 AM
Let me buy a beer at the game for 5 bucks not 10

let me eat a slice of pizza for 3 bucks not 5

let me cheer for my team... Unlike these suits who go to the game to impress a girl

GREATNESS ONE
01-15-2010, 01:21 AM
lol, I can only imagine where this is going

Toenail Clipper
01-15-2010, 01:22 AM
This foo is gonna get banned for nonsense threads. lmaooooo.
QUIT IT

commonsense12
01-15-2010, 01:22 AM
I love all the people that say they are paid too much. Its supply and demand. What if someone walked into your job and said you make too much? Less then .001% of the population can do what they do and you want them to make 50k a year...Seriously? These salaries are from what fans pay at games and then enough profit to satisfy the owners. If no one went to these games well they would not make millions.

So please until people like yourself who is obviously following your fav team stops going to games and watching them on Tv you have no argument on what they make.

Shady66
01-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Preach my brotha preach

clutchski
01-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Move to England and start watching soccer..the 'franchises' are made for the people.

Also, it could be worse. Try going to a Maple Leafs game..it's like $300 a ticket.

PurpleJesus
01-15-2010, 01:28 AM
lower the cap so that the european leagues can be the main leagues? no thanks

KeithLBC
01-15-2010, 01:29 AM
If you're too poor to go to a game, watch it on TV, pretty simple.

oogaboogaman
01-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Well if it did get lowered that much then i am sure the players would go on strike because of how many people would be out of jobs. Tmac doesnt make that much a game cause he doesnt actually play any games, and as Kieth nicely put, watch it on tv, and that way there is no traffic!

Personally i am at every blazer game

D1JM
01-15-2010, 01:41 AM
jerome james is getting payed about 7 million a year. Who the **** is Jerome James and cuz of his *** I have to pay 400 bucks a ticket to get to see the bulls close enough when they come and play the clippers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xabial
01-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Maybe if they Listened to you that guy in my sig could have been prevented

KG2TB
01-15-2010, 01:42 AM
The reason players get paid so much is becasue the NBA and teams make SOOO much revenue. I agree that it's ridiculous an athlete can be paid millions and millions of dollars per year, but if you put it into context with what the owners are making, it's fair. In a perfect world, a doctor would be making more than LeBron. We don't live in a perfect world. Teachers would be paid more. It is what it is.

abe_froman
01-15-2010, 01:43 AM
The reason players get paid so much is becasue the NBA and teams make SOOO much revenue. I agree that it's ridiculous an athlete can be paid millions and millions of dollars per year, but if you put it into context with what the owners are making, it's fair. In a perfect world, a doctor would be making more than LeBron. We don't live in a perfect world. Teachers would be paid more. It is what it is.

this:clap:

BTownTeamsRKing
01-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Scalabrine 5 years, $15,000,000

salimstoudamire
01-15-2010, 02:20 AM
I see where your going. For example, in 1959, Wilt Chamberlain immediately became the NBA's best paid player, earning $30,000 in his rookie contract; in comparison, the previous top earner was Bob Cousy of the Boston Celtics with $25,000. I understand its all about supply and demand and things have changed quite a bit from then with the economy and all this. A player like Coby Karl, who made $427,163 in 07-08, played a total of 71 minutes. I dont have to go into how Coby is an awful player. He made over $6000 dollars per minute! I dont know where I'm going with this so I'll stop here.

jmastert
01-15-2010, 02:39 AM
If you're too poor to go to a game, watch it on TV, pretty simple.

word

there not changing the nba. for fans to not get front row seats

lakerboy
01-15-2010, 02:44 AM
Don't they teach supply and demand in high school?

Get an education!

sf-fanatic
01-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Well if it did get lowered that much then i am sure the players would go on strike because of how many people would be out of jobs. Tmac doesnt make that much a game cause he doesnt actually play any games, and as Kieth nicely put, watch it on tv, and that way there is no traffic!

Personally i am at every blazer game

actually t-mac still gets paid, as long as its a basketball related injury he gets paid (i think it gets covered by insurance or something) and because the team is choosing not to play him, the team still has to pay him.

t-mac is a happy person right now.

AND GILBERT ARENAS DOESNT GET PAID !!!

CowboysKB24
01-15-2010, 03:27 AM

CHANGE FREE AGENCY RULES

mind you, I'm not considering travel days / training camp / practices / team engagements

I disagree. The NBA is a business and it is extremely successful. They deserve to do whatever they want to do. If you created your own business, would you want someone regulating what you do the money in it? If people are buying tickets at higher prices why would you lower them? It is about the money, the entertainment just goes along with it. It is all about the money.

KB24PG16
01-15-2010, 04:05 AM
i dont think david would ever do it

Hellcrooner
01-15-2010, 04:06 AM
this OPs head would explode here in europe.

No salary cap.

no max contracts (you pay as much as you want)

no trade player a for palyer b (just pay me my money and ill sell you the player)

no matching contracts.

no draft

no ****.

You rich= you got good players.
=
you poor= you have to do a monster job with youngsters so your team has a chance.

abe_froman
01-15-2010, 04:09 AM
i dont think david would ever do it

he would,its in the cba.cap numbers are set by essentially us,how much the league is making(how many of us show up and buy tickets for the various clubs around the league)

Trouble87
01-15-2010, 04:55 AM
rant threads like these are horrible

illegallover
01-15-2010, 05:34 AM
You fix supply and demand by raising licensing fees to run a professional sports team...relative to revenue.. see how much supply they will have??! lol

Example a regular massage license is a few hundred dollars a year in Toronto... While a FULL BODY SLIDE license is over 10 GRAND lol

NBA RULE if you leave to play in Europe you can never play in the NBA AGAIN...

DONE AND DONE

and TEAMS DO NOT MAKE MILLIONS OVER MILLIONS HAHHAHA 12 NBA teams lost money last Year...

ASK MARK CUBAN.....

Lakerfrk
01-15-2010, 05:35 AM
I think its perfectly fair what these players make, and I'm not being sarcastic. If movie stars can make 15 million in a movie, these players should make more.

1. They have a limited amount of time because their profession relies on their bodies.
2. If the NBA can bring in that much money, they deserve to get it.
3. NBA players do NOT just work during the course of the season, they work through the off-season. The ones that work harder, make more money (generally)

Yes, I agree that doctors, teachers, and other professions made more, but our culture thrives on entertainment, and professional sports is entertainment at its highest state.

That's my take.

oogaboogaman
01-15-2010, 05:41 AM
If people stopped watching basketball so much this wouldnt have happened in the first place! But hey, how i look at it is that these guys were playing basketball for 15-20 years unpaid just for the ultra slim chance they could turn pro. So all the credit to their dedication. Contracts should be more results friendly though. err incentives?

illegallover
01-15-2010, 05:45 AM
I think its perfectly fair what these players make, and I'm not being sarcastic. If movie stars can make 15 million in a movie, these players should make more.

That's my take.

Your comparing apples and oranges....

Shlumpledink
01-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Pay me for watching clipper games

illegallover
01-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Don't talk about losing superstars to europe.... no team can afford them

The top five players IN ALL OF EUROPE get around 20 millions euros a YEAR.... LOL

Supposidley teams can afford Lebron at 50 million... LOL those reports are bogus, it's based on the BILLIONAIRES OWNING the team willing to lose 50 mil........reports write this to be dramatic.... its a huge JOKE to even publish something so preposterous

European clubs don't profit enough to be taking our superstars

illegallover
01-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Don't talk about losing superstars to europe.... no team can afford them

The top five players IN ALL OF EUROPE get around 20 millions euros a YEAR.... LOL

Supposidley teams can afford Lebron at 50 million... LOL those reports are bogus, it's based on the BILLIONAIRES OWNING the team willing to lose 50 mil........reports write this to be dramatic.... its a huge JOKE to even publish something so preposterous

European clubs don't profit enough to be taking our superstars

I meant to say top 5 COMBINED

Sandman
01-15-2010, 06:01 AM
its called union.

the players have a right to make a substantial portion of what the owners earn from their effort.

illegallover
01-15-2010, 06:01 AM
this is an exscript from 2007 forbes article to lazy to look for a current one.

"But numbers compiled by Forbes tell quite a different story. The value of the typical NBA franchise rose 6% this year, to $372 million, as the Knicks became the first basketball team worth $600 million. NBA teams posted an average profit (in the sense of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) of $9.8 million, on revenues of $119 million. This is the highest income since Forbes began tracking basketball team finances 10 years ago."

9.8 MIL??? LOL

path2zion
01-15-2010, 07:24 AM
im alright with the cap situation. i might add a few more restrictions so there is a limit to how high in the lux u can go, but all in all its a reasonable and mostly fair system. Its def better than the nfl or mlb

illegallover
01-15-2010, 08:24 AM
most the comments here are unsubstantial...

I'm happy the league is lowering the cap and I hope to see this trend continue even with inflation, I rather see 35 teams in the NBA rather than 15-20..... It's nearly impossible for small market teams to succeed and make profit every year... as well as for any future expansion....

jrice9
01-15-2010, 08:27 AM
most the comments here are unsubstantial...

I'm happy the league is lowering the cap and I hope to see this trend continue even with inflation, I rather see 35 teams in the NBA rather than 15-20..... It's nearly impossible for small market teams to succeed and make profit every year... as well as for any future expansion....
I have a different opinion abolish the salary cap but let teams expand and move to wherever they want..

Trust me if there 3 teams in NY and 3 in LA and one in smaller markets the competition will be good.

Raw capitalism baby

illegallover
01-15-2010, 08:32 AM
I don't get where this is going?

there is already 3 in CALI
soon to be 2 in N.Y.

ldc62
01-15-2010, 09:08 AM
That would mean the owners would make way too much.

arkanian215
01-15-2010, 09:20 AM

CHANGE FREE AGENCY RULES

if no one bought their merchandise, tickets, cable plans etc then they wouldn't be paid as much. it's that simple. the money is coming from somewhere. most basketball team owners don't own a team just because they love basketball. it's a way to make money. guys who bleed out of their pockets running a team like ratner end up selling their team b/c it's not profitable to keep the team. the team's main source of money is you.

illegallover
01-15-2010, 09:24 AM
if no one bought their merchandise, tickets, cable plans etc then they wouldn't be paid as much. it's that simple. the money is coming from somewhere. most basketball team owners don't own a team just because they love basketball. it's a way to make money. guys who bleed out of their pockets running a team like ratner end up selling their team b/c it's not profitable to keep the team. the team's main source of money is you.

lol you can't make money when the collective bargaining agreement is flawed

nrwskinny
01-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Now THAT made sense..if i may add to that...we complain about things costing too much...well here's the short answer, prices will continue to go up SOOOO you have 2 choices, MAKE MORE MONEY OR CUT BACK ON YOUR LIFESTYLE!!!!

Sandman
01-15-2010, 11:24 AM
this is an exscript from 2007 forbes article to lazy to look for a current one.

"But numbers compiled by Forbes tell quite a different story. The value of the typical NBA franchise rose 6% this year, to $372 million, as the Knicks became the first basketball team worth $600 million. NBA teams posted an average profit (in the sense of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) of $9.8 million, on revenues of $119 million. This is the highest income since Forbes began tracking basketball team finances 10 years ago."

9.8 MIL??? LOL
So the average profit is about 9.8, which means the owner gets 9.8. Whats the average player salary now?

Hellcrooner
01-15-2010, 11:40 AM
salary cap, draft , matching salarys on trades, do they grant better competition?
does it grant small teams to be sucesful?

lets check:

teams that have won Nba since 1980:
lakers, spurs, rockets, bulls, pistons, heat, celtics, sixers = 8
small market teams wining ? spurs = 1

teams that have won soccer champions leauge since 1980 ( remember free market, n cap spac, no salary restrictions no draft , NOTHING)
Barcelona, Madrid, Manchester,liverpool, aston villa, N forest, porto, Olympiqu marseille, juventus, milan, bayern, borussia, steaua buchuresti,red star, ajax = 14

number of small market team winning:
aston vila, N forest, steaua, red star = 4

conclussions....... salary cap making competence higher is a pipe dream.

illegallover
01-15-2010, 12:05 PM
If small market teams spend only 35-45 million to make a decent profit... why would i support them... this to me indicates the team has no intentions of winning...
in the NBA the supply for good / great players are slim pickings... If teams are pursing and actively using their cap it tells me this team is serious about showcasing the best possible product. Again 12 teams lost money last year... that includes DALLAS. Based on articles and reports I've read the Salary cap is definitely robust. If the average player is making 6 million and wants to go on a strike... LOL thats an absolutely sick joke

illegallover
01-15-2010, 12:07 PM
35-45 million reflective of a 58 million salary cap and luxury tax level at around 70 mil

Sandman
01-15-2010, 12:22 PM
memphis does that garbage year in year out

Raph12
01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Damn I actually thought this stuff was happening... but just turned out to be some nut ranting about prices. :rolleyes:

illegallover
01-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Damn I actually thought this stuff was happening... but just turned out to be some nut ranting about prices. :rolleyes:

nut? prices? It's about teams losing money and cities losing their teams maybe you should read the posts before you start comenting....

the biggest NBA tragedy this decade was the supersonics fiasco..........

KeithLBC
01-15-2010, 02:12 PM
nut? prices? It's about teams losing money and cities losing their teams maybe you should read the posts before you start comenting....

the biggest NBA tragedy this decade was the supersonics fiasco..........

you're comparing apples and oranges :rolleyes:

Seattle's situation had nothing to do with ticket prices, it was an owner who intended to move them from the moment he bought the team.

Who really cares if the owners are making a profit. They're not worrying about whether I'm making money at my job, why should I care what they're making. If they don't like the business, they should sell their respective teams.

No cities in recent history have lost their teams due to not making money, you're just twisting the truth to try to make your argument legit.

Like I said, if you can't afford to go to a game, don't go. Being able to watch a game live is a privilege, not a given.

Raph12
01-15-2010, 02:19 PM
you're comparing apples and oranges :rolleyes:

Seattle's situation had nothing to do with ticket prices, it was an owner who intended to move them from the moment he bought the team.

Who really cares if the owners are making a profit. They're not worrying about whether I'm making money at my job, why should I care what they're making. If they don't like the business, they should sell their respective teams.

No cities in recent history have lost their teams due to not making money, you're just twisting the truth to try to make your argument legit.

Like I said, if you can't afford to go to a game, don't go. Being able to watch a game live is a privilege, not a given.

x2

Chicagofaithful
01-15-2010, 02:27 PM
i actually really like this thread!