PDA

View Full Version : Would have Lebron been in this much trouble if he was in Gilbert's place?

Stunner
01-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Barkley said tonight on tnt right before the Bull beat the Celtics :), that if it was a great player in place of Gilbert that he wouldnt be in this much trouble and they wouldnt try to void his contract or nothing. Do u think thats true?

T.O-Fan
01-15-2010, 12:31 AM
what kind of thread is this..i dont think it would matter...gilbert matters a lot in wizards hopes for the playoffs and so does lebron..not a good thread..lets keep things real and intresting..eg.raptors and bosh:D

Stunner
01-15-2010, 12:33 AM
what kind of thread is this..i dont think it would matter...gilbert matters a lot in wizards hopes for the playoffs and so does lebron..not a good thread..lets keep things real and intresting..eg.raptors and bosh:D

i knw i dont think the league would steep dat low, but it was interesting that Barkley said that and its somewhat true that some great stars get to much treatment.

ARMIN12NBA
01-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Why would anybody want to void Lebron's contract? :laugh2: Gilbert has an awful contract, thus his contract is possibly going to get voided.

king4day
01-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Has nothing to do with the league. If you swapped him in Arenas' place, he'd be hated by everyone now, like Kobe was during his trial, and get the same punishment. Law won't care.
What has Arenas done to make the law hate him? Nothing.

15carlos21
01-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Lebron would never be in Gilbert's place...Lebron is smart

_KB24_
01-15-2010, 12:43 AM

No one expected Gilbert to do this, so anything can happen......

T.O-Fan
01-15-2010, 12:47 AM
No one expected Gilbert to do this, so anything can happen......

no.. I never expect lebron to do that ..

15carlos21
01-15-2010, 12:49 AM
not really. its not like a dwi or something that can happen to anyone, bringing 4 weapons into a locker room is something that 99.9 percent of people would not do. It is that stupid

Wiz kids
01-15-2010, 12:56 AM

Never say never...

amos1er
01-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Of course Lebron would not be in this much trouble...He is the leagues golden boy. He has more endorsements than any other player. When Lebron didn't shake hands with the Magic in the ECF (only time in league history a player has been that disrespectful) the NBA, ESPN, and various members of the media with "special interests" all rushed to defend him. Just like when he got dunked on by a college kid and Nike destroyed the video. The league would pay to get it swept under the rug before it even hit the media and if it did, they would conjure up some lie to defend him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6iibPJb-yo

15carlos21
01-15-2010, 12:57 AM
you can say never say never about the pope to, but any rational human being knows better

Slimsim
01-15-2010, 01:00 AM
No Stern would most likely try to protect his golden Boys Which is LBJ and KOBE Gilbert is just a good player not the face of the NBA

Wiz kids
01-15-2010, 01:01 AM
you can say never say never about the pope to, but any rational human being knows better

Are you serious? How do you know he is rational?

15carlos21
01-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Of course Lebron would not be in this much trouble...He is the leagues golden boy. He has more endorsements than any other player. When Lebron didn't shake hands with the Magic in the ECF (only time in league history a player has been that disrespectful) the NBA, ESPN, and various members of the media with "special interests" all rushed to defend him. Just like when he got dunked on by a college kid and Nike destroyed the video. The league would pay to get it swept under the rug before it even hit the media and if it did, they would conjure up some lie to defend him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6iibPJb-yo

Tiger Woods is the PGA's golden boy and he got in a lot of trouble...and wat Tiger did dosen't even compare to wat Gilbert did

15carlos21
01-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Are you serious? How do you know he is rational?

from anytime Ive ever heard him speak. He has given me no reason to believe his irrational, when I hear Gilbert on tv I believe that he may have some serious mental issues

illegallover
01-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Tiger Woods is the PGA's golden boy and he got in a lot of trouble...and wat Tiger did dosen't even compare to wat Gilbert did

agreed,

What tiger did wasn't even illegal... haha

Wiz kids
01-15-2010, 01:04 AM
from anytime Ive ever heard him speak. He has given me no reason to believe his irrational, when I hear Gilbert on tv I believe that he may have some serious mental issues

You are absolutely correct by hearing LeBron speak you can infer he's a completely rational person who would never do anything wrong:rolleyes:

amos1er
01-15-2010, 01:06 AM
No Stern would most likely try to protect his golden Boys Which is LBJ and KOBE Gilbert is just a good player not the face of the NBA

Ya, just like he defended Kobe in Colorado. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

15carlos21
01-15-2010, 01:07 AM
You are absolutely correct by hearing LeBron speak you can infer he's a completely rational person who would never do anything wrong:rolleyes:

never said he wouldnt do anything wrong, just wouldnt pull out 4 guns in a locker room. In all the years of professional sports theres only been one idiot to pull that off

Tony_Starks
01-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Legally Lebron or another "superstar" would probably be in more trouble because some idiot DA would look at the high profile case as a means to make a name for himself and prove that "these athletes aren't above the law." So legally LEbron would be more screwed.

NBA wise Lebron would be perfectly fine. His team wouldn't consider voiding the contract and would just wait out the outcome and let it blow over i.e. Kobe Bryant. Also Lebron or Kobe wouldnt be foolish enough to joke around with the incident, which is why he's in hot water by the way, not because of the charges but how he reacted to them.

amos1er
01-15-2010, 01:10 AM

lol...The PGA doesn't have David Stern for a commissioner; who happens to have one of the most corrupt referee scandals in sports history on his hand.

knickerbockerny
01-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Lebron would be in more trouble, think about it. Even though Gilbert Arenas is known by your casual sports fan and nba fan, Lebron is known all over the world. This would be an even bigger issue, with none stop coverage. DC authorities and quite possibly US authorities would most definetly make Lebron the poster child for stricter gone laws.

knickerbockerny
01-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Legally Lebron or another "superstar" would probably be in more trouble because some idiot DA would look at the high profile case as a means to make a name for himself and prove that "these athletes aren't above the law." So legally LEbron would be more screwed.

NBA wise Lebron would be perfectly fine. His team wouldn't consider voiding the contract and would just wait out the outcome and let it blow over i.e. Kobe Bryant. Also Lebron or Kobe wouldnt be foolish enough to joke around with the incident, which is why he's in hot water by the way, not because of the charges but how he reacted to them.

What he said as well!

Wiz kids
01-15-2010, 01:12 AM
never said he wouldnt do anything wrong, just wouldnt pull out 4 guns in a locker room. In all the years of professional sports theres only been one idiot to pull that off

Well the question is if Lebron was in Gilbert's position would he be in as much trouble...

IMO he wouldn't b/c he wouldn't force Stern's hand, thus Stern would let the legal process work its way out before he acted...

igPay atinLay
01-15-2010, 01:19 AM
He would deserve to be kicked out of the league for life, and to rot in a jail cell.

Its the actions that should be punished, who does them does not matter, well should not matter.

Toenail Clipper
01-15-2010, 01:23 AM
no.. I never expect lebron to do that ..

neither Gilbert Arenas doing that.
Everything is possible.

C_Mund
01-15-2010, 01:10 PM
...I don't understand what we're talking about. How much trouble is Gilbert really in? A plea deal with no jail time after committing a felony?
We saw what happens to NBA superstars that break serious laws when AI burst in on his wife with a gun spouting that he was going to F some ******* up.........nothing. What was it, 11 charges dropped?
Lebron would be dropped from his sponsors but be forgiven by the NBA world in no time.

$ NyC $
01-15-2010, 01:30 PM
I don't think there is a need for this thread. We can sit and say would LBJ, would Kobe would Dirk, would Wade bla bla what's the point. The dude pulled out a gun in the locker-room doesn't matter who, even if Stern himself pulled that he would be in trouble.

Gibby23
01-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Ya, just like he defended Kobe in Colorado. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

He didn't suspend Kobe or fine him. He let the courts handle it and Stern wasn't the one that took the endorsements away.

What did you want Stern to say? Did you want him to come out and say I talked to Kobe and "Kobe didn't put it in".

joe j.09
01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
LBJ would never be that DUMB gilbert is a moron bottom line, he gets what he deserves, what an innorant piece of $h it

JasonJohnHorn
01-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Absolutely! I do think it was odd that Arenas was suspended before a conviction, but Arenas did admit to the actions. Like Arenas, Kobe faced some criminal charges some years ago as I'm sure we all remember. The league at the time made no judgement on the matter, but Kobe also never admitted to criminal acts as Arenas did.

The league took extreme measure with Sprewell when he attacked his former coach, and took extreme measures after the Indiana/Detroit incident. The league seems to be pretty consistent when it comes to serious matters. And one might also take note that when Michael Jordan's gambling issues became public during the '93 playoffs and his father was murdered under very curious circumstances, Jordan went into retirement. I'm not going to suggest that there is some conspiracy theory regarding the timing of this, but some may suggest that the bad press that was beginning to fester around the league's marquee player may have encouraged league officials to pressure Jordan into taking some time away from the game. There is no evidence suggesting Jordan's retirement had anything to do with his father's homicide or his gambing issues, but when top tier players have made huge mistakes (attacking coaches, fans, and bringing guns into the lockerroom), these players have missed a lot of games as a result. The league is consistent in meting out punishments for such things.

That said, I'm sure there have been guns in the lockerroom before this incident. I think Washington's strict gun laws had something to do with the resulting press, and I think that had a player like LBJ, or perhaps Kobe had a done something like this (hypothetically), the players in the locker room may have been more likely to keep the story in the locker room.

Regardless, I think Arenas has been mature about this. He made a mistake (which was inmature), but admitted it- which was mature, and takes all responcibility for the incident, and has tried to ensure nobody else is pnuished for a "joke' he initiated. I think that shows some maturity.

smith&wesson
01-15-2010, 03:07 PM
in court he would be treated the same way. gilbert arenas is a player with a huge contract you act as if were talking about some scrub. he is a star in the league.

what does lebron even have to do with whats going on in washington ?? poor guy man, you guys just pull his name in to every thing.

kobe was charged for rape, do you think the nba sugar coated that >?? no they didnt. it doesnt matter who you are, if you have a gun your getting charged.

Hawkeye15
01-15-2010, 05:00 PM
this thread is ridiculous. Of course he would be in as much trouble. Guns are illegal in D.C. Simple. Anyone would get this same punishment.
It is hilarious how much envy and distaste there is on this site sometimes.

TheShock45
01-15-2010, 05:21 PM
this thread can be ended with two simple words... KOBE BRYANT.

greatness has its advantages, you can take advantage of a woman, cheat on your wife and yet have no problems in the world when your as great as Kobe. so no Lebron would of been fine even if he shot his teammate.

so in conclusion, Gilbert Arenas is not on the same level as other great talent.

It works in all sports, When your a good WR like plaxico burress or Donte Stallworth you go to jail, when your a GREAT defensive player like Ray Lewis or Leonard Little you get away with murder (haha figuritively and literally)

Spurred1
01-15-2010, 05:50 PM
this thread can be ended with two simple words... KOBE BRYANT.

greatness has its advantages, you can take advantage of a woman, cheat on your wife and yet have no problems in the world when your as great as Kobe. so no Lebron would of been fine even if he shot his teammate.

so in conclusion, Gilbert Arenas is not on the same level as other great talent.

It works in all sports, When your a good WR like plaxico burress or Donte Stallworth you go to jail, when your a GREAT defensive player like Ray Lewis or Leonard Little you get away with murder (haha figuritively and literally)

1. Cheating on your spouse is a crappy thing to do, but ultimately it is legal and is something that the cheater and the family need to work out privately. Does not apply to this situation at all or remotely compare to it. Kobe's situation involved a woman that went to his room willingly and she reportedly had the semen of multiple men in her underwear. I don't see how she was taken advantage of. If he had raped her, he would likely have been prosecuted fully.
2. If LeBron had been dumb enough to take guns into his workplace, in a city with strict gun laws, he would have been prosecuted as well. But I don't see him making light of the situation afterwards like Arenas did if he'd done the same thing. Who knows for sure, though?
3. Talent really has nothing to do with it, and it shouldn't. If an athlete breaks the law, he needs to be held to the same standards as the common man. But they often aren't-because they can pay for lawyers to negotiate a good deal. It probably has more to do with the talent of the lawyer than the athlete.
4. Why does every thread have to have Kobe Bryant in it? The thread asked about an entirely different player.

asian_sensation
01-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Has nothing to do with the league. If you swapped him in Arenas' place, he'd be hated by everyone now, like Kobe was during his trial, and get the same punishment. Law won't care.
What has Arenas done to make the law hate him? Nothing.

Um...he had prior weapons charges back in Golden State. :eyebrow:

nipo10847
01-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Barkley said tonight on tnt right before the Bull beat the Celtics :), that if it was a great player in place of Gilbert that he wouldnt be in this much trouble and they wouldnt try to void his contract or nothing. Do u think thats true?

If Lebron is now injured and wont be balling for next 5 years, I bet there are countless teams who will still give him a max and pay him full 5 years (wont take insurance advantage) for vacation just because there will always be a hope that he will put on that jersey one day and just because he is Lebron King James. His superstardom is simply unmatched today.

TheShock45
01-17-2010, 04:41 PM
1. Cheating on your spouse is a crappy thing to do, but ultimately it is legal and is something that the cheater and the family need to work out privately. Does not apply to this situation at all or remotely compare to it. Kobe's situation involved a woman that went to his room willingly and she reportedly had the semen of multiple men in her underwear. I don't see how she was taken advantage of. If he had raped her, he would likely have been prosecuted fully.
2. If LeBron had been dumb enough to take guns into his workplace, in a city with strict gun laws, he would have been prosecuted as well. But I don't see him making light of the situation afterwards like Arenas did if he'd done the same thing. Who knows for sure, though?
3. Talent really has nothing to do with it, and it shouldn't. If an athlete breaks the law, he needs to be held to the same standards as the common man. But they often aren't-because they can pay for lawyers to negotiate a good deal. It probably has more to do with the talent of the lawyer than the athlete.
4. Why does every thread have to have Kobe Bryant in it? The thread asked about an entirely different player.

Kobe did it plain and simple and everyone brushed it away. Now you know it has to do with talent, the evidence in all sports is there, the top notch players seem to always get away with it Ray Lewis and Leonard Little should both be in jail and locked away but somehow they are on the field still while plaxico burress shoots himself and yet he's in jail and has to serve his full tour in prison.

Also Kobe was brought up because like I said better players get away with things. Kobe raped a girl and is on the court and somehow an american hero. Gilbert pulls out an unloaded gun and yet he's being told he can be lockd up for years.

Bullsfan22
01-17-2010, 04:48 PM
lebron is the best in the game but in court he'd get treated the same. it probably wouldnt have came out if it was lebron.