PDA

View Full Version : Arenas in Negotiations for Plea Deal, May Not Receive Jail Time!

Tony_Starks
01-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Gilbert Arenas is in negotiations for a plea deal on gun charges

By Keith L. Alexander and Mike Wise
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, January 14, 2010

Prosecutors and attorneys for Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas were in plea negotiations this week that could have Arenas in court on gun charges as soon as Thursday, according to law enforcement sources.

Attorneys discuss Arenas plea deal

The two sources, speaking on condition of anonymity because the talks are ongoing, stressed that the negotiations could collapse. In addition, no cases involving Arenas had been docketed in Superior Court by late Wednesday night. If the plea talks are not successful, a Superior Court grand jury would continue to hear evidence in the case.

Officials with the U.S. attorney's office in the District declined to comment about the case. Arenas's attorney, Kenneth L. Wainstein, also declined to comment.

The sources said it was unclear whether the plea agreement would set Arenas's punishment as probation, community service, a fine or some combination. But the negotiations would ensure that Arenas would not go to jail, one of the sources said.

If the grand jury were to charge Arenas, he likely would face charges of carrying a handgun without a license, which is a felony and punishable by up to five years behind bars. Because he has said he had four guns in the Verizon Center locker room, he could face up to 20 years in jail.

Prosecutors could bring their own charge of possessing an unregistered firearm, a misdemeanor that carries a 12-month sentence.

The guns became an issue after Arenas and Wizards teammate Javaris Crittenton got into an argument after a card game and Crittenton allegedly said he should shoot Arenas in his surgically repaired left knee, sources have said. Days later on Dec. 21, after a practice at Verizon Center, Arenas placed the guns on a chair next to Crittenton's locker with a note that said "pick one."

The grand jury began hearing testimony in the case on Jan. 5. Since Arenas met with law enforcement authorities, Wizards Coach Flip Saunders, team President Ernie Grunfeld and players Fabricio Oberto, Randy Foye, Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood, DeShawn Stevenson, JaVale McGee, Mike Miller and Andray Blatche have also spoken to authorities or the grand jury. Players Antawn Jamison, Mike James, Dominic McGuire, Earl Boykins and Nick Young say they have not been asked to be interviewed.

NBA Commissioner David Stern suspended Arenas indefinitely without pay Jan. 6.

An NBA official, on condition of anonymity, said league investigators met with many of the team's players this week. Union attorneys, including Billy Hunter, the head of the players' union, sat in on the interviews. The official added the NBA wants to conclude its investigation, which could result in further penalties to Arenas and some of his teammates, in the next week.

While at least three players testified to league officials they witnessed Crittenton chamber a round in his own gun, there are differences in their accounts. That, plus lack of proof that Crittenton took a weapon to the locker room, make it difficult for the NBA to severely punish the reserve guard, the official said.

The incident, which is also being investigated by the NBA, has cast doubt on the future of Arenas's career at a time when the 28-year-old guard was trying to regain his all-star form after missing the last two seasons following knee surgery.

The Wizards, who endorsed the suspension, have in the past week removed a banner with Arenas's image on it that covered part of the Sixth Street facade of Verizon Center, stopped displaying Arenas's No. 0 jersey and removed all references to him in the introductory video played before home games.

Arenas met Wednesday with Hunter to discuss his situation. Hunter said Tuesday he wanted to ensure that Arenas receives due process and doesn't want the punishment to exceed the transgression.

"You don't use a sledgehammer to drive a tack," Hunter said. "Right now, we're just waiting for the investigation to conclude and then we'll see what level or degree of discipline the commissioner is talking about imposing. And once the commissioner makes his decision, that will determine what extent we get involved and don't get involved."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/13/AR2010011304260.html

govade
01-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Hope this is resolved soon.
This whole thing was blown out of proportion and Arenas is punishment is just undeserved.
The journalists who issued the first report on this matter, which was not even true should be sued.

Young and Stupid
01-14-2010, 04:48 PM
:yawn: If I'm the Wizards, I'm trying to void his contract before he gets a plea deal (for the betterment of the franchise). Although they may have already tried and were able to find a loophole.

Ray_R
01-14-2010, 05:21 PM
you are a ****ing idiot... oh and by the way I'm not anti-gun, I have a CHL and am a member of the NRA... but when some douchebag brings guns in the locker room of a sports venue and brandishes them he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law... and trust me if he wasn't some rich athelete , ie if he was you, he would be in jail for a while... typical DC bs... of course they are the same city that re-elected a mayor after he got caught smoking crack with hookers...

agreed n nice sig by the way

Spurred1
01-14-2010, 09:53 PM
This whole thing was blown out of proportion and Arenas is punishment is just undeserved.
The journalists who issued the first report on this matter, which was not even true should be sued.

Why is it undeserved? He brought guns into an arena-his workplace. Anyone else would have been fired on the spot and proper authorities notified. There's no question that the guns were his or that he brought them in.
Arenas' lack of intelligence and knowledge regarding gun laws in D.C. is remarkable.

RaptorizedKevin
01-14-2010, 10:24 PM
this is what ai hate bout people with fame. they can get anythign they want and control the law in their hands. By paying a fine, does that change gilbert areanas? will this "punishment" make him a better person? not it wont

T.O-Fan
01-15-2010, 12:42 AM
allllllllllllll the fans and organizations and the whole NBA now has heard of this and how serous it is..if they want this gabling to stop then they should do something big ..gilbert deserves the worst bunishment possible CMON WTF is he doing..would u imagine ur franchise player bringing a gun(s) into the lockerroom..wat does that say about him...just stupiddd..simply stupid and to make jokes about guns that was caught on camera before a game just makes it surely stupid..thats bad for him his teamates and the organization..without him in the lineup they're goin to loose alotttt of money(millions)in the organization....so i dont know..he should be suspended and a good punishment like loosing his contract(money) or something that he wil regret forever..that way no players would even get close to attemping that agian and get that garbage out of NBA.

kblo247
01-15-2010, 12:49 AM
He may not go to prison but he may be suspended for the year, lose his contract, be on Stern's permanent ****/watch list, and have to be humbled and sign somewhere for less money to prove himself.

Top that off with fines, community service, and the fact that he will have to rebuild his image and quite possibly submit to counseling seems fair.

I'm not dismissing what he did, but he will get punished for it. At the end of the day he will still learn a hard lesson instead of collecting a free check like the past couple of years and be forced to get the psychological help that he needs instead of people just saying oh he's quirky.

Tony_Starks
01-15-2010, 01:01 AM

Seems like you guys really missed this point. The initail story reported was not true, liable or slanderous in other words. That reporter/newspaper should be sued.

As much as you may dislike what Arenas did they still have an obligation to report the facts accurately. The initial report was that he "pointed guns on his teammate over a gambling debt." Turns out he wasn't even involved in the gambling dispute, and he never pointed a gun.

There's no two ways around that one.

TopsyTurvy
01-15-2010, 01:40 AM
[/B]

Seems like you guys really missed this point. The initail story reported was not true, liable or slanderous in other words. That reporter/newspaper should be sued.

As much as you may dislike what Arenas did they still have an obligation to report the facts accurately. The initial report was that he "pointed guns on his teammate over a gambling debt." Turns out he wasn't even involved in the gambling dispute, and he never pointed a gun.

There's no two ways around that one.

There's no way any journalist is sued over this - especially if the investigation, which MUST include investigation into which source informed the reporter of the initial incorrect details, expunges Arenas. At worst, the NBA flexes its might towards the publication responsible for the incorrect release, the reporter is 'let go,' and then sues the news company for wrongful termination.

Agent Zero does some community work, pays some fines, and returns to the hardwood.

JAZZNC
01-15-2010, 01:53 PM
I am so sick and tired of athletes being treated differently than other people. Gilbert Arenas commits a felony while ON THE ****ING JOB YOU ****ING MORONS!!!!! Anybody who lives in the real world (i.e. an adult with a job and bills) would tell you that you wouldn't have a job if you pulled some stupid **** like this. You couldn't even keep a job at Burger King if you committed a felony while on the clock!?!?! But this ****ing dip **** is going to be allowed to keep getting a free check even when he's suspended b/c he used to be good at basketball.

People want to ***** all the time about there being racism in the judicial system, situations like this prove that the only color that matters is green. People with it (no matter what race) get off with little to no consequences and those without money (no matter what race) get punished to the fullest extent.

The thing that pisses me off the most about it is people actually feel sorry for these ****ing idiots like Arenas, Pacman Jones, Chris Henry.

vigilantex69
01-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I am so sick and tired of athletes being treated differently than other people. Gilbert Arenas commits a felony while ON THE ****ING JOB YOU ****ING MORONS!!!!! Anybody who lives in the real world (i.e. an adult with a job and bills) would tell you that you wouldn't have a job if you pulled some stupid **** like this. You couldn't even keep a job at Burger King if you committed a felony while on the clock!?!?! But this ****ing dip **** is going to be allowed to keep getting a free check even when he's suspended b/c he used to be good at basketball.

People want to ***** all the time about there being racism in the judicial system, situations like this prove that the only color that matters is green. People with it (no matter what race) get off with little to no consequences and those without money (no matter what race) get punished to the fullest extent.

The thing that pisses me off the most about it is people actually feel sorry for these ****ing idiots like Arenas, Pacman Jones, Chris Henry.

Welcome to the world buddy. It's just how things are, and it will never change. Sucks to say someone like Donte Stallworth can kill someone drunk and get a month in jail, but its just how things are. To an extent though it is made a bigger deal whenever someone gets a DUI. ESPN has breaking news when a backup lineman gets a DUI. When I will bet that 50% of the posters on this site have had a DUI and 99.99% of posters on here have driven drunk before. Oh well..

govade
01-15-2010, 02:45 PM
The only thing I find ridiculous here is that people can get 5 years of jail time for possession of an unloaded weapon.

I mean you have to see the whole thing in contex.
If he pulled out a gun anywhere in public (even unloaded) and started to threaten people or waiving it around, than yes jail time.

But all he did is put an unloaded weapon on a chair in the lockerrom, which is probably a very restricted area only accessible to a few people.
That's his crime.

I don't care who did it, a bum from the street, a bad *** ganster a plane pilot, a superstar.
This action is just harmless and noone should deserve jail time for it.

The law is just ridiculous, if he would get jail time for that.
Even categorizing this is a felony is ridiculous to me.

I'm pretty certain they will sort this thing out and interpret the contex of the situation correctly.
However, noone really has access to all the information to what really transpired in that locker, from what I know Gilbert did nothing, that deserves to be categorized as a felony".

JAZZNC
01-15-2010, 03:43 PM
The only thing I find ridiculous here is that people can get 5 years of jail time for possession of an unloaded weapon.

I mean you have to see the whole thing in contex.
If he pulled out a gun anywhere in public (even unloaded) and started to threaten people or waiving it around, than yes jail time.

But all he did is put an unloaded weapon on a chair in the lockerrom, which is probably a very restricted area only accessible to a few people.
That's his crime.

I don't care who did it, a bum from the street, a bad *** ganster a plane pilot, a superstar.
This action is just harmless and noone should deserve jail time for it.

The law is just ridiculous, if he would get jail time for that.
Even categorizing this is a felony is ridiculous to me.

I'm pretty certain they will sort this thing out and interpret the contex of the situation correctly.
However, noone really has access to all the information to what really transpired in that locker, from what I know Gilbert did nothing, that deserves to be categorized as a felony".

The fact that the gun ended up not being loaded is completely irrelevant. The reason that they don't want guns in a place like that period is b/c with no guns period there's no shootings, no tragic accidents, no "I didn't think it was loaded". There are too many things that can go wrong with guns around loaded or "unloaded". It deserves the punishment. All it takes is one mistake and somebody could have died in an NBA locker room, that is just how serious this is.