PDA

View Full Version : Which is more important: Rest Kobe or home court advantage.

fairandbalanced
01-14-2010, 12:32 PM
It seems obvious that the Lakers are going after the best record in the NBA because they insist on playing a injured Kobe when it's clear that his wrist needs help and maybe some rehabilitation pending surgery in the future. As a coach, would you keep gambling on playing Kobe and hope he does not aggravate the injury or would you want him to have a quick surgery or rehab and be back in time for the play-offs to begin.

Gibby23
01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
When did he hurt the wrist?

fairandbalanced
01-14-2010, 12:37 PM
When did he hurt the wrist?

Wrist, finger...whatever seems to be bothering him.

fairandbalanced
01-14-2010, 12:40 PM
His back is the latest of his injuries......he seems to always complain of something bothering him, then he will go out and drop 40. Just rest him already and stop making teams feel as if he's not 100%.

jimbobjarree
01-14-2010, 12:40 PM
considering they've lost to the Spurs, Nuggets, Jazz, Blazers, Suns on the road this season by big margins shouldnt it be homecourt?

Gibby23
01-14-2010, 12:42 PM
His back is the latest of his injuries......he seems to always complain of something bothering him, then he will go out and drop 40. Just rest him already and stop making teams feel as if he's not 100%.

He doesn't want to rest. He won't do it. Why does it bother you?

fairandbalanced
01-14-2010, 12:43 PM
He doesn't want to rest. He won't do it. Why does it bother you?

It doesn't bother me....Wouldn't you rather he's well rested and injury free when the play-offs begin?

Gibby23
01-14-2010, 12:50 PM
It doesn't bother me....Wouldn't you rather he's well rested and injury free when the play-offs begin?

Im good with whatever is good with Kobe. he knows his body better than you and I. He recently said the finger is almost pain free but he needs to build up strength in it. The finger does not require surgery. The back is a day to day thing, he has had it in the past and it took him about 2 days to get it better. He started to get treratment on his back at 5am yesterday morning. He doesn't rest, he gets treatment until he feels better. Kobe is different.

iHoop
01-14-2010, 12:52 PM
I'd say just rest him (if he wants) because he's still a scoring threat with 9 fingers and 1 wrist (if that's the case). If he gets surgery now it more then likely affect his shot after rehab and could have complications with the procedure.

Gibby23
01-14-2010, 12:55 PM
I'd say just rest him (if he wants) because he's still a scoring threat with 9 fingers and 1 wrist (if that's the case). If he gets surgery now it more then likely affect his shot after rehab and could have complications with the procedure.

Nothing is wrong with his wrist and he does not need surgery for his finger.

mikantsass
01-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Kobe is the best player in the league. I dont care who you are, you dont have as much impact in a game as Kobe. Get him healthy.

Cubs Win
01-14-2010, 01:03 PM
The Lakers are the number 1 team in the West no contest when Kobe is 100%. I'd say get him healthy because he has a huge impact on the game when he's on. The Lakers minus Kobe still make the playoffs this year if he didn't even play the rest of the season (which obviously wouldn't happen). I'd say get him healthy if I'm the Lakers (looking from the outside) but if there's a big difference for the Lakers playing home or away in the playoffs, I could see how some might want Kobe to tough through it and help the Lakers now.

iHoop
01-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Nothing is wrong with his wrist and he does not need surgery for his finger.

Just speaking in general about the thread.
Didn't he mess up his finger though?
I know he had back spasms in the Spurs game.

JordansBulls
01-14-2010, 01:07 PM
For Kobe it is getting HCA. He has currently only lost one series in his career while having HCA.

epizo1
01-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Being a Lakers' fan myself I've thought about this same thing. What's the goal for the Lakers? A championship. The way I see it, if Kobe isn't healthy we will not win even with HCA. This team is capable of winning on the road. I prefer Kobe healthy.

edit: No surgery though. Very difficult to jump back in the swing of things in the playoffs even when healthy.

azkarraga
01-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Rest him. A healty Kobe is what they're gonna need in the postseason.

mlisica19
01-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Resting Kobe is the best thing to do... You will give him his energy back and his health. Hell practice, hell shoot, hell scrimmage hell work out and what not. Hell be Kobe, but his physicality is what the team team needs.

The lakers are already a really good team with lots of depth, see how 4 or 5 games go without Kobe. I guarantee half, I wouldnt be surprised seeing more than that. See how it goes, if you can win games without him then keep sitting him until hes healthy. This will also increase everyone else on the team and if your team can come out of this they will all improve

Daze9900
01-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Normally I would say homecourt if it was any other team but the way Kobe has been playing with game winning buzzer beaters and such it seems like he is able to play with the injuries without it affecting his game drastically. Go for home court its the best way to keep the continuity and defend the title. You definitely don't want to have that uphill battle of not having the advantage. Their bench is not strong enough to help pull out road games like that.

myqntab
01-14-2010, 01:37 PM
i think kobe is worried surgery will mess him up in his quest for another repeat....he will be on the court unless he cant walk...and as the best player in the game today..he has earned that right....of course, phil is probably THE only one who could convince him to sit....

Hellcrooner
01-14-2010, 01:38 PM
kobe is acting like a MORON and somebody must tell it to him in his face now.

he is trying to do some macho thing or try to mimic jordan playing with flu or whatever

but this stupidity is only leading to

a - bigger injury that may sideline himn for MONTHS

b- losing the ring this year and maybe next year de'pending on the mnumber of months.

c- shortening his career 2 or 3 years because his body will give in.

so for gods sake let someone smack his stupid face and kick his egomaniac *** and tell him to take a rest.

Hellcrooner
01-14-2010, 01:42 PM
and for gods sake

wich of this two teams is better?

team a : Jason williams, MIke Millr, Batier, Stromile Swift, GASOL , bench lorenzen wright, brevin knight.

team b : Fisher, artest, odom, GASOl, Bynum with farmar, sasha walton from the bench.

so if pay could lead CrAPPY a team to 50 wins what does make you think he cant mantain the lakers in some .650 to .700 winning form for 15 or 20 days while kobe recovers.?

oh yeah i forgot...that could lead to people thinking pau is as important as kobe for lakers succes...that must not hapen!!! im god!!!! im the mamba!!!!!1 im the onlyon who matters!!!!!

tr4shb0t
01-14-2010, 02:02 PM
i don't know i'm not a doctor. he may just be fine to play through it. or maybe not. i imagine the best decision will be madeby phil and kobe.

bigsams50
01-14-2010, 02:25 PM
kobe is acting like a MORON and somebody must tell it to him in his face now.

he is trying to do some macho thing or try to mimic jordan playing with flu or whatever

but this stupidity is only leading to

a - bigger injury that may sideline himn for MONTHS

b- losing the ring this year and maybe next year de'pending on the mnumber of months.

c- shortening his career 2 or 3 years because his body will give in.

so for gods sake let someone smack his stupid face and kick his egomaniac *** and tell him to take a rest.

a little harsh dont you think? lol

Lakersfan2483
01-14-2010, 02:38 PM
When did Kobe injure his wrist? Thats news to me.

showtym24
01-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Kobe will be fine he aint human. Iam more worried about pau and his hamstrings.

Kobes a Killer
01-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Home court is too important in the finals, I think rest him or not the lakers make it to the finals but you need home court against Boston Cleveland or Orlando IMO

magichatnumber9
01-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Kobe's body has taken a beating over the years. He is no young guy and he has not had a full off season in over 4 years. I would rest Kobe NOW. Or these back spasms will put his body in jeopardy for more serious injury.

69centers
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM
You forgot poll option 4:

It doesn't really matter because either way they will still lose the Celtics in the Finals.

Teeboy1487
01-14-2010, 03:13 PM
It's not going to happen. Kobe has a huge warrior's mentality. He is playing. Sure I want him to rest because the playoffs is more important. However, I would not count on Phil resting Kobe because Kobe will refuse it.

Tony_Starks
01-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Kobe is going to play as long as he physically can. As he should. He doesn't go through all those vigorous workout routines in the offseason for nothing. Everyone on team USA (Lebron, DWade, and Mellow included) said he was the hardest working, best trained guy on the team.

It should be refreshing to see a guy like this during a time when guys get the sniffles or a hangnail and they're out for a week. He's a throwback!

The goal is for homecourt throughout the playoffs.

GREATNESS ONE
01-14-2010, 03:51 PM

It doesn't really matter because either way they will still lose the Celtics in the Finals.

lol :rolleyes:

Can I get Next weeks lotto numbers please...

ko8e24
01-14-2010, 04:25 PM

How KG doin these days? :rolleyes:

20R8ersfaN08
01-14-2010, 04:38 PM
let kobe do kobe!

TheWatcher34
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
i dont care..Kobe himself will have to make the decision what's best for the team's success..right?

rapswin98
01-14-2010, 05:38 PM
wrist injury?

USMCLaker
01-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Being a Lakers' fan myself I've thought about this same thing. What's the goal for the Lakers? A championship. The way I see it, if Kobe isn't healthy we will not win even with HCA. This team is capable of winning on the road. I prefer Kobe healthy.

edit: No surgery though. Very difficult to jump back in the swing of things in the playoffs even when healthy.

X2 and then some.

TheWatcher34
01-14-2010, 05:49 PM
i strongly doubt that we accurately know to what extend Kobe is injured, how severe it is and what really bothers him. all we read is the statements they give to the media. we read that crap and bite into it. i doubt that's his finger ever was broken, i mean BROKEN!! at the shooting hand!! why would he still play then against even the worst teams. why not just sit out? he probably just hyperextended the capsula i would guess. several times i've had a broke fingers myself...taping it doesnt do it..u can't play. even more so in the nba where u constantly have guys hand checking u and reaching in. u can't tape it in a way that really protects the finger from that cus u have to remain flexibility in order to shoot the ball. and once someone barely touches that finger it will swell up and the healing process has to begin all over. then u have the wrist unjury, the back spasms really??? it doesnt make sense. why talk about it and have him play anyways? big hero syndrom, huh? overly competitive?? i dont know, the lakers organisation is not that stupid to put the whole season at risk just because they would be living in denial of Kobe's condition. it's up to the doctors to decide and as long as he's in the lineup there's no reason to be worried.

G-Funk
01-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Rest him against whack *** teams

fairandbalanced
01-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Rest him against whack *** teams

I am not sure they have that much games left against the Nets and the T Wolves.

TheWatcher34
01-14-2010, 06:24 PM
as mentioned above we as NBA fans are tapping in the dark. Phil Jackson knows, Kobe, knows, and the doctors SHOULD know what's going on..that's it. in the case of Gasol i just speculate: Gasol has been out, back to play a few games, and sitting out again...huh? why let him play when he's actually not fully recovered?? bulls****!! doctors gave their ok...otherwise he wouldnt play. Gasol isn't sure himself? well in order to have certainty, have a practice at game intensity and see if he has physical complaints afterwards.
look at it this way: Gasol played all seaon long last year, went to the finals and in the summer he played the European championship for Spain. basically he's had no time to rest. those have all been heavy games and they take a toll on your body. u must not be injured but your body feels tired and worn out. well, it's not like the Lakers would have to rely on Gasol during the regular season...give him some rest! and tell something else to the public. Gasol probalby is looking at Nowitzki who was wise enough to cancel playing for Germany in the off season and he realizes how refreshed the dude's legs are and sees how he drops bombs on opponents every night...
also noticeable in Gasol's case is that the "injury" happened right after he signed that big contract extension...hmm coincidence???
and on top of THAT, Bynum and Gasol haven't played well together. Bynum has been out for a long time last year. since the Lakers organization isn't stupid, they want to get the max out fo their potential and that why they want Bynum to get in a groove, a rythm and not having to worry about Gasol taking his shots away or any random "in-game oportunities" for Bynum, the young talent can flourish and find his game because it simply takes time to adjust. once we go deeper into the season it will be time to throw Gasol back into the mix in order to finally find the correct harmony between the "bigs" and get ready for the championship run.
in a way, the business of professional Basketball is like poker: u have to pick your spots and make the correct moves ..and sitting out happens! :D

kobebabe
01-14-2010, 06:54 PM
It seems obvious that the Lakers are going after the best record in the NBA because they insist on playing a injured Kobe when it's clear that his wrist needs help and maybe some rehabilitation pending surgery in the future. As a coach, would you keep gambling on playing Kobe and hope he does not aggravate the injury or would you want him to have a quick surgery or rehab and be back in time for the play-offs to begin.

Wrist? I thought is was his finger?

kobebabe
01-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Resting Kobe is the best thing to do... You will give him his energy back and his health. Hell practice, hell shoot, hell scrimmage hell work out and what not. Hell be Kobe, but his physicality is what the team team needs.

The lakers are already a really good team with lots of depth, see how 4 or 5 games go without Kobe. I guarantee half, I wouldnt be surprised seeing more than that. See how it goes, if you can win games without him then keep sitting him until hes healthy. This will also increase everyone else on the team and if your team can come out of this they will all improve

Well thought comments. I am with you on this. They need to let him rest a couple of games starting Next game and see how things work out. This should be a way to build confidence in the other guys

fairandbalanced
01-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Wrist? I thought is was his finger?

True but I've seen Kobe occasionally grasp his wrist when he's in pain. He is also complaining about his back and fingers...well the point to the tread is whether the Lakers are better off resting Kobe or not....just because I got the injury wrong in your view does not mean you cannot contribute.

heathonater
01-14-2010, 07:13 PM
the lakers should get gasol and kobe healthy before thinking about homecourt. if those two are healthy in the playoffs, i don't think it would affect the team greatly if they don't have homecourt.

Kakaroach
01-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Like with all teams and their important players, rest him so he's fresh for the playoffs instead of risking more injury just for an extra round for home-court.

lakerboy
01-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Rest him a couple of days IMO, he'll be fine.

kblo247
01-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Just speaking in general about the thread.
Didn't he mess up his finger though?
I know he had back spasms in the Spurs game.

The wrist isn't hurt, here are his injuries so far:

- Avulsion Fracture
- Flu
- Groin Strain
- Knee Tendinitis
- Hyper-extended Knee
- Hyper-extended Elbow
- Back Spasms (left game versus Spurs)

And a pinkie that just doesn't look right - http://lakersblog.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c506253ef012876c4a7e3970c-pi

I'm fine with letting him play as long as he feels he is capable of it, but not with having him carry the team as an injured Kobe as a decoy is still more effective than most and it teach guys how to be aggressive with him in the game.

The fact is Kobe will play. If he can walk, he will play. He is just wired that way.

fairandbalanced
01-15-2010, 05:36 PM
It would be wise if ESPN credit me for their front page story....or else in the future I would not credit them if I rip something off their site.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100115-16/battered-aching-kobe-stays-steady-bumpy-ride