PDA

View Full Version : What was/is Lamar Odom's potential?

RaptorsFanatic
01-14-2010, 01:12 AM
Okay. I am sincerely impressed at Lamar Odom. When he starts he is completely different from when comes off the bench. I mean this guy is a stat whore. He hustles, plays hard, passes, and is a rebounding machine.

The way Lamar plays I think he can get atleast 10-12 triple doubles in a season if he is:
1) Fully Healthy
2) Consistently Starting
3) Not lazy!

2010 Stats - Lamar Odom (As Starter)
Jan 1 vs. SAC - 20 pts, 10 rbs, 63% FG, 2 Treys, 80% FT, 1 blk (Off Bench)
Jan 3 vs. DAL - 15 pts, 15 rbs, 6 asts, 1 blk, 50% FG (Off Bench)
Jan 5 vs. HOU - 17 pts, 19 rbs, 9 asts, 1 blk, 70% FG, 100% FT
Jan 6 @ LAC - 9 pts, 16 rbs, 5 asts, 1 steal
Jan 8 @ POR - 15 pts, 13 rbs, 5 asts, 4 steals, 1 blk, 77% FG,
Jan 10 vs. MIL - 5 pts, 17 rbs, 9 asts,
Jan 12 vs. SAS - 10 pts, 12 rbs, 6 asts, 2 stls, 2 blks,
Jan 13 @ DAL - 18 pts, 14 rbs, 4 asts.

Only a few points and assists off from TWO TRIPLE DOUBLES, maybe even FOUR in 2 weeks of Starting! This guy is a rebounding machine(Bolded)

I'd love if he starts, cause he is on my fantasy team. Haha.
------------------------------------------------------------------
So my question is: Back in the days, what do you think his potential could have been if he was fully healthy, a consistent starter, and not lazy? What is his potential now with those criteria filled?

kblo247
01-14-2010, 01:18 AM
15, 10, and 5 as a third option.

He doesn't want to be the man or the robin but excels at being the guy who steps up in all the big games when less eyes are on him. I think that is more of a mental block on his part, the same way him always playing himself into shape and only using his left hand is.

I love the guy and would kill to have him on my team every day of the week, but I think people put too much pressure on him with that Pippen 2.0 talk when he really is an upgraded and more talented version of Horry and Kukoc imo.

ChiSox219
01-14-2010, 01:21 AM
He's at least reached his potential. People will look at his numbers, especially his scoring and say he never lived up to his abilities but I disagree. He does so many different things so well and he's so versatile that I think he's among the best players in the league. If I'm starting a Triangle team (like the T'wolves), I want Odom or someone like him to be a core piece of my foundation. He passes, rebounds, defends, and can post up or hit a long jumper.

Lakers should be grateful to have him and I was shocked they almost let him leave even though his salary demands were very reasonable.

If Bynum and Gasol were healthy enough that the Lakers wanted to move for a PG, I'd give them Hinrich, Tyrus, our first round pick and I wouldn't expect that to be enough but would be ecstatic if it was.

If only...

tr4shb0t
01-14-2010, 01:34 AM
imagine if he got star calls...

but i think he has been at his potential the last couple years. when he is motivate his numbers are ridiculous. and he doesn't even try to get his stats he just plays how the team needs him. his defense in the last couple years has been much better. one of my fav players of all time when he shows up.

Raph12
01-14-2010, 01:34 AM
A lot of guys have high potential just based on their athleticism, now Odom has the skills to put it all together and be a 20-10-5 guy (maybe in one season in his prime), but he's extremely lazy. It is upto the player to succumb to his potential and Odom's was sky-high back in his prime, too bad nothing really came from it (individually/statswise).

kblo247
01-14-2010, 01:37 AM
If he used his right hand then he would be a 20pt guy and Stu Lantz has harped on that for years.

His unselfishness might be his most selfish trait as well and in all honesty he is just a guy who is too level headed to dominate on a consistent basis.

kblo247
01-14-2010, 01:49 AM
And for those who say he is inconsistent, I say he is actually very consistent

He has that bad stretch right around mid November and part of December, and usually gradually comes back to life.

In January you see Odom play as if his old lady cut him off or coach cussed him.

By the allstar break he is on fire to the point that after the allstar votes are already cast it will be suddenly "if LO had of played like this all season he may have gotten some votes.

I love Lamar Odom and that is no secret, but I'll be damned to not admit it, Lamar Odom is weird and sat in his routine.

Joshtd1
01-14-2010, 01:50 AM
If he had a better shot, I think he could have been a 20+/10+/5 type of guy.

b_rad23
01-14-2010, 01:52 AM
he's consistently inconsistent.

i'd say if all went well his best season could have been 24-11-7

Lost Art
01-14-2010, 02:39 AM
Odom has had his shot, he was the #2 on this team for years............but could never fill those shoes. He's much more comfortable when he has limited responsibilities and everything he does is icing on the cake. I really don't think he's capable of being a "go to" guy, its just not in his character. That being said, he's an excellent #3 or #4 and we have the luxury of only calling on him to produce when we're dealing with injuries.

_KB24_
01-14-2010, 03:00 AM
He's one of the best rebounders in the league, if not the best, and I'm not just saying that because he's a Laker. He can rebound 12+ if he started for us the whole season.

His potential was sky high. The guy could have been a lite version of Lebron if he lived up to it. He can rebound, pass, shoot, and push the ball as good as any PG. But then once again, it's a rare occasion that he can do this on a regular basis and he runs away from the spotlight. He likes to take a step back way too often.

kblo247
01-14-2010, 03:09 AM
He's one of the best rebounders in the league, if not the best, and I'm not just saying that because he's a Laker. He can rebound 12+ if he started for us the whole season.

His potential was sky high. The guy could have been a lite version of Lebron if he lived up to it. He can rebound, pass, shoot, and push the ball as good as any PG. But then once again, it's a rare occasion that he can do this on a regular basis and he runs away from the spotlight. He likes to take a step back way too often.

This, if anyone ever watched DBZ growing up, LO is like Gohan a ton of potential but a gentle personality who only comes to fight when backed in a corner or pushed to far. He is very talented but could always be so much more if he decided to be.

Stunner
01-14-2010, 03:16 AM
This, if anyone ever watched DBZ growing up, LO is like Gohan a ton of potential but a gentle personality who only comes to fight when backed in a corner or pushed to far. He is very talented but could always be so much more if he decided to be.

lol

desertlakeshow
01-14-2010, 03:34 AM
Lamar is a frustrating player for me as a lifelong laker fan of 30 years. He has the talent, body, and skills to be a holy terror on court. And on occasion he not only shows it he launches it at you. A timely block, an important rebound, a three pointer as you scream "noooooo" from the couch.

I love and hate him. I watch every Laker game and will continue to do so. But how many layups can a guy clank off the rim, or take an ill advised shot, or lose a ball out of bounds.

I think he is in the perfect spot for him. The sixth man role is perfect. If he comes in and dominates he is lauded with praise. If he comes in and takes two shots, gets one rebound, and has a couple assists he gets a pass.

He needs an injection of passion to take his game to another level.

Not a popular view, but to me the truth.

ink
01-14-2010, 03:38 AM
Phenomenal player. Doesn't need any apologies from anyone. I'm sure his coach understands his value.

_KB24_
01-14-2010, 04:35 AM

Dude, your like my fav poster. You always find something cool to share. That post was epic.

JasonJohnHorn
01-14-2010, 10:01 AM
The first thing that has to be said about Odom is that he IS a TEAM player. Even if he were the first option on a team, he isn't the type of guy that would demand to dominate the ball because he understands that it is a team game. When he played with Wade he encouraged Wade's growth, when he played with the Clippers, he shared the ball. He's more than capable of 20/10/5 a game as a first option, but like guys like Joe Johnson, or Iggy, or Billups, he thrives in a team atmosphere.

His inconsistency is more about him coming off the bench. Sometimes other players are in a groove and he doens't force himself into the game offensively on those nights, he lets the guy who's hot dominate and he works on the boards. On other nights the Lakers need a boost and he gives them one. He's a great passer, a solid defender, able to play both forward spots and makes mis-matches as the SF because of his size, he rebounds. The only reason he isn't making the all-star team every year is because he plays on a stacker team. He knows Kobe is the first option and that Gasol is the second, and that the Lakers are trying to help develop Bynum into a dominant center so he does what is in the best interest of his team.

I hate the Lakers with a passion, but that doesn't change the fact that they are a solid team and that it is because of team-oriented players like Odom and Gasol that Kobe has been able to return to title contention.

Odom's full potential, he's at it: one of the best forward in the league. His number might not show it, but there is a reason the Lakers are paying him 10+ million a year and its not because he is the 15th best forward in the league. Its because he is as good as any other forward in the league outside of Garnett and Duncan.

b_rad23
01-14-2010, 10:40 AM
His inconsistency is more about him coming off the bench.

because he just started becoming inconsistent when he started coming off the bench...

Odom's full potential, he's at it: one of the best forward in the league. His number might not show it, but there is a reason the Lakers are paying him 10+ million a year and its not because he is the 15th best forward in the league. Its because he is as good as any other forward in the league outside of Garnett and Duncan.

is this a joke? i may have never seen a more flawed, ridiculous, generally incorrect statement in my life.

25 mill/3 years (with 2 mill buyout on the 4th year)=8.33 a year, not 10+. Guess who else is in that range: quentin richardson, mark blount, anderson varajao, bargnani, turk, marion, jerome james. shard makes double that. tmac and jo make almost triple that.

he's probably closer to the 15th highest paid forward in the league, and there may be justice in that. that's about where he should be imo.

also, forwards who are as good or better than him (most better):
kg
duncan
pau gasol
dirk nowitski
al jefferson (or kevin love)
chris bosh
amare stoudamire
boozer
beasley
aldridge
thad young
melo
bron
durant
pierce
rudy gay

and i thought there'd be more.

JasonJohnHorn
01-14-2010, 11:42 AM
25 mill/3 years (with 2 mill buyout on the 4th year)=8.33 a year, not 10+. Guess who else is in that range: quentin richardson, mark blount, anderson varajao, bargnani, turk, marion, jerome james. shard makes double that. tmac and jo make almost triple that

Sorry I was off on the anual salary. And yes, there are forward who make more, and most of those guys are overpaid. Just because he has a similar pay check does mean they are equals on the court.

As to Odom consistency, I stand by what I said. When he was the go to guy in Miami they had their best season since the mid-90's. That season he and Eddie Jones lead the team in scoring with 17+, and Odom lead the team in rebounds and almost assists (he was 0.4 behind Wade), and posted a better assist-to-turnover ration than Wade, and showed up on defence posting about a steal and a bock a game. And by allowing Wade, as a rookie, to take the ball he help instill confidence in Wade so that he coudl step up when the playoffs came. Those are the type of CONSISTENT numbers he posted when he was called upon to be the main scoring option. Does he have bad games? Yeah. He does. He has off shooting nights, but even on those nights he still busts his @$$ off on D and works the boards. And yes, he doesn't force his way into the offence when he comes off the bench. If somebody's got a hot streak, he goes with the flow.

As for that post season with Miami, they beat a solid New Orleans Hornets team featuring Baron Davis, Magloire, Mashburn and PJ Brown, and pushed a great Pacers team to 6 games. And in his first run in LA (witht he Clippers), he played consistent ball, and evne his first season with the Lakers when he was starting he put solid, consistent numbers. Nobody puts up the same stats every night, but he was scoring in the mid-teens most nights and grabbing 10+ boards a game.

Is Dirk better than Odom? it could be argued so. Dirk though has never won a title and he's had a lot of talent around him. I think Dirk is great and you are right, its fair to say Dirk is better. And I admit Garnett and Duncan are, but there isn't another forward in the league better. There are many I'd say are as good, but just because Bosh gets higher stats, and Zach gets higher numbers, doesn't mean they are better. Zach Randolph puts up more points and rebounds than Duncan, but there isn't a person playing in the league that would evne try to make and arguement suggesting Zach is better than Duncan.

Odom plays on a stacked team, he wants to win and he sacrifices his personal stats to be on a winning team. The Lakers get to start two centers and has one of the best power forwards in the league coming off the bench. Odom can keep up with the best of them and helped the Lakers to back-to-back finals appearances posting near double-doubles on most nights. I don't know how anybody can't see Odom as a top-tier forward. And I speak of him as a power forward, so if you want to bring small forwards in then I'd say Pierce is better, and obviously LBJ. But look at what Odom has accomplished in his career and the impact he has on the game for his team and you will see that he is a VERY talented player.

Lets show the guy some love, he deserves it.

Gibby23
01-14-2010, 11:46 AM
because he just started becoming inconsistent when he started coming off the bench...

is this a joke? i may have never seen a more flawed, ridiculous, generally incorrect statement in my life.

25 mill/3 years (with 2 mill buyout on the 4th year)=8.33 a year, not 10+. Guess who else is in that range: quentin richardson, mark blount, anderson varajao, bargnani, turk, marion, jerome james. shard makes double that. tmac and jo make almost triple that.

he's probably closer to the 15th highest paid forward in the league, and there may be justice in that. that's about where he should be imo.

also, forwards who are as good or better than him (most better):
kg
duncan
pau gasol
dirk nowitski
al jefferson (or kevin love)
chris bosh
amare stoudamire
boozer
beasley
aldridge
thad young
melo
bron
durant
pierce
rudy gay

and i thought there'd be more.

Bust boy isn't better than Odom.

miller74
01-14-2010, 11:51 AM
He is who we thought he was

Chronz
01-14-2010, 12:12 PM
What I dont get it, is why was he so aggressive in Miami and SOOOO passive in LA when Kobe was in dire need of a #2?

Gibby23
01-14-2010, 12:16 PM
What I dont get it, is why was he so aggressive in Miami and SOOOO passive in LA when Kobe was in dire need of a #2?

I guess because he was brought in to be the #1 guy in Miami in Wades rookie year?

BkOriginalOne
01-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Phil Jackson has it right.
3rd option, or 6th man.

tredigs
01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
There's no what is his potential with Lamar Odom. He's been in the league a decade, he's reached it. He's a fluid big man with a nice shooting touch and short bursts of veracity. Dude lacks in mental savvy. It's not about "if"s with him, he just doesn't have it. It's something you learn as you grow up, something you have to work on. The most important component of an athlete, and he doesn't have it. That's his legacy.

But yeah, he's been nice since gasol's been out and the spotlight is on him a bit more. Could he keep this up for an extended period? Helll no.