PDA

View Full Version : What is Wilson Chandlers value in the league?

the unknown
01-13-2010, 11:36 AM
I have been watching a couple Knicks games this year and i just wanted to know what people that are not Knicks fans think of this kid.

He is averaging 15-6-2..

Recovering from an offseason surgury and not participating in training camp.. he took a little but he has found his game..

he is averaging 17-6-2.5 almost 1 block and over a steal per game in the last 20..

he is only 22 years old and usually guards the other teams best player..

be honest, but not cruel.. thanks :)

Pierzynski4Prez
01-13-2010, 11:56 AM
he is good no doubt, potential future all-star, never will hit superstar status. But probably not worth taking on fat Eddy Curry's contract.

mudvayne387
01-13-2010, 12:14 PM
I am a Knicks fan but I am also a realist. Wilson Chandler has a boat load of potential. When he sticks to his game and drives to the basket he is a tremendous asset to have. However, sometimes he gets caught up in taking very bad shots. I fear that D'Antoni welcomes these shots and does not correct Chandler when he jacks up a three with 21 seconds left on the shot clock. He has greatly improved in this area and I really look forward to watching this guy grow as a NBA player. Very solid defender and gives 100% percent every single night. Should be a 20-6-4 guy for the next 10-12 years.

J_M_B
01-13-2010, 12:17 PM
I like him a lot, but if Jeffries' or Curry's contract is a part of deal, then you can forget about it.

wallerstud06
01-13-2010, 01:00 PM
bet the lakers get him for Jordan Farmer and a 2nd rd pick

$ NyC $
01-13-2010, 01:09 PM

Your sniffing something if you think you can get WC for Farmar and a 2nd rd pick.

LanceUpperCut
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
seems good I have'nt watched him much but the games I have seen him he does'nt seem to stick out just quietly has a solid game. I expect a good career as a starter not sure about all-star status but like I said have'nt watched him enough to make a good judgment. I think the Knicks need to keep and not look to trade him they need his defense

what54!?
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I'd like him on the heat but not worth taking one of the knicks bad contracts...........

colinskik
01-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Like the OP said, he always guards the other team's best player and then still makes an impact on the offensive end as well. Durant made him look a little silly the other night, but Durant is also on another level.

NYK|NYY
01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
If Wilson doesn't settle for jumpers and drives to the basket he's a good player. If you think about it Curry's contract has only 2 years left so its not the atrocity it once was, and Wilson is a young guy with some nice potential, so it's not crazy to take Curry w/ him.

mudvayne387
01-13-2010, 02:23 PM

Thanks, I needed a laugh

wallerstud06
01-13-2010, 02:29 PM
what about Farmar/Powell/Second Rd pick/Sasha for Chandler and Jefferies???

Giaps
01-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Chandler has recently said he wants to emulate Ron Artest, meaning, bring the all-NBA defense and have offensive fire power as well... minus the circus of course.

He is a very quiet/shy guy so I doubt he ever gets real popular... people like personality and poor Wilson doesn't show much of it.

mudvayne387
01-13-2010, 02:43 PM

On paper it works but realistically all you are doing is swapping Sasha for Jeffries while giving up Chandler. No way the Knicks lose a talent like Wilson to shed 1 Million. I can see the Lakers more interested in Nate Robinson for some depth off the bench.

Carey
01-13-2010, 02:44 PM
a more athletic Caron Butler with better D but not quite the offensive game or range

masalex1205
01-13-2010, 02:50 PM
not high enough for a team to take on Curry's contract

EL HEAT
01-13-2010, 03:06 PM
He kind of reminds me a little of Shawn Marion.

Trouble87
01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
too early to really put a value on him yet

he's all potential

Chronz
01-13-2010, 03:40 PM
A less athletic Ariza with better range and less D/Rebounding

wallerstud06
01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Alright do you think they will do a Morrison/Powell/Farmar for Chandler and cash???

$ NyC $
01-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Alright do you think they will do a Morrison/Powell/Farmar for Chandler and cash???

Are you just throwing dumb trades out there?

$ NyC $
01-13-2010, 04:33 PM
A less athletic Ariza with better range and less D/Rebounding

I don't really like that comparison. He is every bit as athletic as Ariza and is even stronger. Not as quick as Ariza is but he has a better mid-range game and i would say is a better defender since he has the body to defend bigger players. If he had the ferocity of KG he would be a border-line All-Star already. He's so passive and calm but a solid player and still has a lot of potential. I've never seen Chandler get hype. He might just let out a little giggle lol. Like those posters on KG, Okafor, Scola, and O'neal. He just slams down a ferocious BEASTLY dunk and gets back on D. Funny to say he could learn something from Nate of all people.

$ NyC $
01-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I like the Caron comparison. He's more athletic and a better blocker where Caron has more range and better at steals. Caron is a little more guard-ish as Chandler is a little more foward-ish.

Giaps
01-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Funny to say he could learn something from Nate of all people.
Nate had a good line:

"Wil is just like a plain black and white cartoon in the back of the paper and Gallo is the one with color."

Chronz
01-13-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't really like that comparison. He is every bit as athletic as Ariza and is even stronger. Not as quick as Ariza is but he has a better mid-range game and i would say is a better defender since he has the body to defend bigger players. If he had the ferocity of KG he would be a border-line All-Star already. He's so passive and calm but a solid player and still has a lot of potential. I've never seen Chandler get hype. He might just let out a little giggle lol. Like those posters on KG, Okafor, Scola, and O'neal. He just slams down a ferocious BEASTLY dunk and gets back on D. Funny to say he could learn something from Nate of all people.

Your probably right except that nobody has ever dunked on Shaq this decade

Chacarron
01-13-2010, 04:52 PM
I like him a lot. He has really surprised me this year with his ability to get more rebounds and be a reliable scorer from the wings. I can see him average close to 18-19 PPG and 7 RPG with 2 steals and a block at one point in his career.

daleja424
01-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Wilson is prob a third or fourth option at best on a good team... that should help gauge his value a little

he definitely is NO a can't miss kinda player

and he is not worth someone taking on one of the ugly contracts of the knicks (Curry or Jefferies)

mjqusoldier
01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
hes only goin to get better. i can definitely see him averagine 20 pts and 7 rebounds a game. he just needs to be more agressive on the offensive end attacking the basket. he also needs alot of work on his ball handling. if he becomes a better ball handler he can def become an all star.

thescore53
01-13-2010, 05:26 PM
hes a baller

GiantMetKnick
01-13-2010, 05:40 PM
It's not worth it for a lot of teams to trade for Chandler if it means taking on Jeffries/Curry (Heat, Nets, etc.).

But for the teams who won't be very active during the 2010 offseason, I don't see why they wouldn't jump at the chance to trade expiring contracts (their worst expiring contracts) and get a great, young player in Wilson. You only need to deal with Curry/Jeffries for one more year anyway.

Bivory
01-13-2010, 05:42 PM
I preface my statements with the fact that I am a Very Biased Knicks Fan:

Chandler has good value because he has a very cheap contract for the next 2 1/2 yrs. 2 mill next year and 3 mill in 2011-2012 at which time, knowone would be surprised if he were averaging 20 and 7. Any idea what those guys cost in the open market? I am not saying a team should take Curry's contract but this isn't the type of talent teams usually trade.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-13-2010, 05:44 PM

Are you kidding me???

i think realistic trade would be...

Ammo+farmar+mihm's trade exception+random pick for chandler+jeffries

knicks get only expiring contracts and get rid of jeffries, and now because of that they can sign 2 max FA's

NyCsPoRtS1
01-13-2010, 05:54 PM
i like him, not as much as gallo and lee but i think hes got huge potential jis needs to work on ball handling and needs to stop shooting an take the ball to the rack and dunk on people cuz for some reason i dont think he knows he can

Tony_Starks
01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
First off Lakers don't want him.

Second off he's a pretty good player. Not all star level, damn sure not elite, but on the right team could be a very valuable piece to the puzzle. He can play both ends of the floor. Sort of reminds me a bit of Ariza but a bit more refined offensively.

On a contending team he would be really nice but I doubt those teams would give up anyone significant enough for the Knicks to move on a trade unless they're really desperate. Someone like Farmar and a pick would be as good as it gets. Your dreaming if you think otherwise.

$ NyC $
01-13-2010, 05:59 PM

Sorry if you misunderstood me bro i was referring to Jermaine. Back when he was with Toronto Chandler smashed one on him.

Tony_Starks
01-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Sorry if you misunderstood me bro i was referring to Jermaine. Back when he was with Toronto Chandler smashed one on him.

you're sig is pretty dog-gone hilarious.... AND true!

Bivory
01-13-2010, 06:09 PM
First off Lakers don't want him.
Someone like Farmar and a pick would be as good as it gets. Your dreaming if you think otherwise.

Every single player on the Lakers rooster except 2 guys I never heard of, make more than twice as much a year as Chandler and only about 3 of them are as productive. Farmar and a pick...botha plleeaaassee

Clutch6
01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
I think hes like Richard Jefferson, I like him, hes hard to place because of his youth and potential

Dmagic87
01-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Are you kidding me???

i think realistic trade would be...

Ammo+farmar+mihm's trade exception+random pick for chandler+jeffries

knicks get only expiring contracts and get rid of jeffries, and now because of that they can sign 2 max FA's

Not a bad idea. Give us your first and a protected future pick in 2012 or something. I might pull the trigger. Too bad there isn't a lot of room for Chandler on your team. With Artest, Odom, Pau. Lakers depth is insane.

wallerstud06
01-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah Dmagic you can keep Chandler and jefferies if we have to give up Ammo, Farmar, Mihm trade exception and a 1st rd pick. He is not that great and never will be.

$ NyC $
01-13-2010, 06:48 PM
^ That's good for you.

I think RJ is a perfect example for Chandler. Decent 3 pt Shooters with good mid-range games and amazing athleticism. I think WC has the potential to even do better than RJz peak year where he averaged 20 ppg 7 rpg 4 aspg 1 spg. Chandler is a little better defensively and is bigger than RJ which helps him get some easy buckets.

When he limits his 3's and sticks to his mid-range game he's almost automatic.

$ NyC $
01-13-2010, 06:48 PM
you're sig is pretty dog-gone hilarious.... AND true!

Haha yes, Sad, but true.

Dmagic87
01-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah Dmagic you can keep Chandler and jefferies if we have to give up Ammo, Farmar, Mihm trade exception and a 1st rd pick. He is not that great and never will be.

We could careless about Farmar or any of those players. Take away JJ and give us any expiring plus 2 very late picks. Its a good deal for a guy who is better than Ariza... remember him? Yeah should have waited till he broke out.

Giaps
01-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Wilson is prob a third or fourth option at best on a good team... that should help gauge his value a little

he definitely is NO a can't miss kinda player

and he is not worth someone taking on one of the ugly contracts of the knicks (Curry or Jefferies)
His production today is not a reflection of his value... only a part of it. A little of what goes into value:

-current production
-contract
-potential (this includes age)
-work ethic/personality
-need
-public perception

He is 21 years old so one would assume he would get better from here and he is a hard worker.

sf-fanatic
01-13-2010, 07:55 PM

you are right because the decade is only 13 days old !:D

oak2455
01-13-2010, 08:21 PM
His production today is not a reflection of his value... only a part of it. A little of what goes into value:

-current production
-contract
-potential (this includes age)
-work ethic/personality
-need
-public perception

He is 21 years old so one would assume he would get better from here and he is a hard worker.

Lee is having another good start , btw liking your mom:D

knicks09
01-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Ever since Wilson Chandler stopped shooting so many 3's he's been playing AMAZING. His ability to shoot off the dribble and drive to the basket makes him such a great player with a lot of potential. I think he can average 20 points per game with 7 rebounds

Itown in Cali
01-14-2010, 04:05 AM
Everyone out there saying "he isn't worth taking on a Curry or Jeffries contract." LOL!!
In my opinion, there is no way in hell it is worth it for the Knicks to trade him just to dump those contracts. It would be much smarter for the Knicks to wait 1 more year for both Curry and Jeffries to expire and clear 18 million of cap for 2011.

Chandler started the year in recovery from ankle surgery and wasn't even able to work on his game this summer and he is still taking it to the next level. he is also a standup guy and team player without any kind of attitude. OH, and a ton of potential too!

There is no way the Knicks trade Chandler at this point unless it is in a package for a superstar. NO WAY!!!!

joe j.09
01-14-2010, 04:58 AM
guys a beast, all star potential, any team not willing to take him with jeffries is NUTS....curry might be another story......

I have a feeling the knicks will be dealing him in the summer to the Wolvves for rubio....

bkmikeyy
01-14-2010, 05:09 AM
What's not to like about a 22 year old averaging 17.5 ppg and 6 rebounds per game on 52% shooting since December 1st? His first month was pretty bad because he just came off surgery and was settling for jump shots instead of using his athleticism. Besides regardless of what the NY media says, Jeffries is not the knicks best defender, its Chandler.
A team that's not clearing cap space for 2010 would be CRAZY not take take him with jeffries for expiring contracts. And the knicks would be CRAZY for offering that.

b_rad23
01-14-2010, 08:01 AM
to me:

al thorton v2. looks alright from afar, but his stock will go down very soon once the Knicks have some quality players on their roster.

no way he's a 20 ppg scorer IMO, unless the knicks are forever a lotto team.

Giaps
01-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Nov: FG 40%; Pts 11.5; RB 4.8; ASST 1.6
Dec: FG 51%; Pts 16.4; RB 5.3; ASST 2.0
Jan: FG 55%; Pts 20.2; RB 7.8; ASST 2.8

Kakaroach
01-14-2010, 08:18 PM
His value is very high as of now, teams would take Jeffries' contract to get him for sure.