PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the stars of 3 years ago?

Boston Faithful
01-13-2010, 06:35 AM
I've never seen such a dramatic decline in basketball play before.

Shaq, Garnett, Iverson, McGrady and Vince Carter all have pathetic stats compared to three years ago - and aside from Shaq, none of them are that old. McGrady is like 29 still. Yet, four of them will still make the All-Star team due to fans. Shaq's averaging 10, Garnett 15 and 7, Iverson 14.5, McGrady like 3 points a game and Carter's averaging 17 on 39% shooting.

Keep in mind Garnett was a beast - averaging like 23 points and 12.5 rebounds, McGrady and Iverson were putting up 25 per game, even Shaq was averaging like 18 and 9 or 10. Carter's made a nasty transition from the Nets to the Magic.

It's a shame really, the stars of yesterday are much more likeable than the stars of today. Stars like Roy, Durant, Deron Williams, Chris Paul and even Derrick Rose have no personality to create interest in the game like those five guys. Which is why the old guys are still getting massive All-Star votes.

In my opinion, it's not even their fault. The coaches and team personnel sabotaged McGrady's and Iverson's career. In Philly, Iguodala and Thaddeous Young are too hung up on hacking up horrible shots during the game to stake their claim as the "man" of the team - to prove a point to Iverson. Iverson's getting a pathetic ten shots a game, averaging 15 points. If he got his twenty shots like 3 years ago, he'd be averaging 30. Look no further than their horrible record. Shaq was an All-Star last year, but Mike Brown is playing him 22 minutes per game. Rick Adelman doesn't want to play McGrady to disrupt the growth of his younger guys. And in Boston, Garnett has become so infatuated with team play that his stats have become next to nothing. It's a shame - the Rockets and the Pistons sabotaged McGrady and Iverson, when they both still have so much ball left in them. Now their stock has plummeted.

JDizzle
01-13-2010, 06:40 AM
well those 4 guys you mentioned have been in the league forever shaq since i believe 1992 AI 1996 carter 97? t-mac97-98? not sure but. they were great for 10 years or so now they have died down being productive in this league for 10 years is a great accomplishment. guys like chris paul, wade, lebron, dwight, carmello, kobe, and others there the new stars now. come 2015 those guys will be on the decline and new stars will emerge

GREATNESS ONE
01-13-2010, 06:40 AM
KOBE !!!!!!!!! Damn that felt good

Boston Faithful
01-13-2010, 06:45 AM
well those 4 guys you mentioned have been in the league forever shaq since i believe 1992 AI 1996 carter 97? t-mac97-98? not sure but. they were great for 10 years or so now they have died down being productive in this league for 10 years is a great accomplishment. guys like chris paul, wade, lebron, dwight, carmello, kobe, and others there the new stars now. come 2015 those guys will be on the decline and new stars will emerge

Kobe was in the league way before McGrady and Carter. He also entered the league with Iverson. And he's around the same age as Garnett.

Rangers510
01-13-2010, 06:47 AM
The new players play good d and are faster, Plus lots of those players have had injueies

JDizzle
01-13-2010, 06:49 AM
^ well kobe is the best in the game. Idk man I like your topic alot. ITs hard to say. Its shocking how they all fell off like that but there still productive they just dont put up mind boggling numbers no more. Shaq is now just apart of lebron trying to get a ring. Carter has so many weapons on the magic Garnett when he was with the T-wolves it was all him expect the couple years with cassell and sprewell. and AI is putting up pretty good numbers and T-mac its always injury. I wouldnt say they have faded just that there not as great as they once were

Hartley510
01-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Age and the injuries that go with it are what brought these players down. Kobe is the best in the game and is more committed than the rest, so he will last longer.

Iverson - 35 in June
Shaq - 38 in March (ancient)
Carter - 33 in two weeks
Garnett - 34 in May
McGrady - 31 in May

hovyboo
01-13-2010, 08:25 AM
I agree with you....

except the Garnett piece

I thinkeven kobe's numbers would be decreased if he played with Pierce and Allen

(even rasheed)

the others have faded into the sunset but Garnett is still much more than just a faded ,memory

xxseven72ducexx
01-13-2010, 08:35 AM
yea bro, you dont see your grandparents going out and doing the same **** they did 10 years ago...humans age with time and thats part of life, some players can continuously play at a high talent level as time goes on, some don't...IT IS WHAT IT IS

Gators123
01-13-2010, 08:43 AM
. It's a shame - the Rockets and the Pistons sabotaged McGrady and Iverson, when they both still have so much ball left in them. Now their stock has plummeted.

What are you talking about? Iverson is in Philly putting up 14.7 PPG and 4.2 APG. I Don't think he has "so much ball left in him"

JordansBulls
01-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Garnett went to a new team. If you go to a new team, you arent' going there to be the man when you are going over in your 30's.

JasonJohnHorn
01-13-2010, 09:29 AM
I've never seen such a dramatic decline in basketball play before.

Shaq, Garnett, Iverson, McGrady and Vince Carter all have pathetic stats compared to three years ago -

Keep in mind Garnett was a beast - averaging like 23 points and 12.5 rebounds, McGrady and Iverson were putting up 25 per game, even Shaq was averaging like 18 and 9 or 10. Carter's made a nasty transition from the Nets to the Magic.

In my opinion, it's not even their fault. The coaches and team personnel sabotaged McGrady's and Iverson's career. In Philly, Iguodala and Thaddeous Young are too hung up on hacking up horrible shots during the game to stake their claim as the "man" of the team - to prove a point to Iverson. Iverson's getting a pathetic ten shots a game, averaging 15 points. If he got his twenty shots like 3 years ago, he'd be averaging 30. Look no further than their horrible record. Shaq was an All-Star last year, but Mike Brown is playing him 22 minutes per game. Rick Adelman doesn't want to play McGrady to disrupt the growth of his younger guys. And in Boston, Garnett has become so infatuated with team play that his stats have become next to nothing. It's a shame - the Rockets and the Pistons sabotaged McGrady and Iverson, when they both still have so much ball left in them. Now their stock has plummeted.

I don't think anybody in Houston tried sabatoginh McGrady. They were very excited about getting him and made him their guy. He just didn't answer the call, in part due to chemistry (which wasn't his fault, just something that happens with some players) and injury (also nobody's fault). This year they seem intent on moving him, so yeah, things aren't going well for McGrady, but the only reason his numbers are down is injuries.

Iverson is getting old. Nobody tired sabatoging his career. I agree the coaching situation in Detroit was not ideal, but in Memphis they were trying to use him as a 6th man and give him starting minutes off the bench (like the Spurs to with Ginobili and the Lakers do with Odom). AI had a team built around him in Philly, he couldn't win it all, in Denver they did better with Billups. He's just not what he was and his style of game is hard to build a contender around. As for "Philly's record" they are 7-7 over the last 14 games and have been playing .500 ball and getting better over the last month.

As for Carter, his numbers have been dipping ever since he left Toronto. Part of that is because he tanked his performance in TO to encourage a trade, and part is because he just doesn't seem to have the competative, never-give-up edge that guys like Jordan had, and Kobe has.

Garnett's is still a work horse, but he's getting old, he shares the offence with other talented players now, which he didn't three years ago, and he's getting old. He still plays defence as well as anybody and works the board, he's jsut not called upon to do all the work like he was with the T-Wolves.

Boston Faithful
01-13-2010, 12:35 PM
What are you talking about? Iverson is in Philly putting up 14.7 PPG and 4.2 APG. I Don't think he has "so much ball left in him"

On ten shots a game.

In his heyday, he was getting twenty five shots a game.

What does that say?

If Iguodala and Young weren't hogging the ball so much, Iverson could still be putting up 30. Which I think he would have if he went to New York instead of back to Philly.

And I understand Garnett has to share with Pierce and Allen, but everyone's stats are down this year. Pierce is down to 18, Allen 16.5 and Garnett 15 and 7. Garnett, 7 rebounds? C'mon. It's not even that their stats are down that bothers me, it's how little they care. Rondo and Perkins are the only Celtics to actually improve. I believe by two years this will be Rondo's team more than anyone else.

albertc86
01-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Age, inflated egos and injuries; it's as simple as that.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-13-2010, 12:58 PM
well those 4 guys you mentioned have been in the league forever shaq since i believe 1992 ai 1996 carter 97? T-mac97-98? Not sure but. They were great for 10 years or so now they have died down being productive in this league for 10 years is a great accomplishment. Guys like chris paul, wade, lebron, dwight, carmello, kobe, and others there the new stars now. Come 2015 those guys will be on the decline and new stars will emerge

+1

mavwar53
01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
they have taken lesser roles on their teams to try and win a campionship, when you have good players on your team you don't need to do as much a simple give and take process.

what54!?
01-13-2010, 01:09 PM
injuries take a heavier toll on older guys. Plus there just getting older, it happens in the NBA. Stars play great for a number of years, but they they get older and start to decline, new guys take their spots. All the guys you mentioned have left some sort of mark on the leauge, at least half of them are playing for chips now, not stats

Pierzynski4Prez
01-13-2010, 01:22 PM
they got old, its not their fault

RadiantShot
01-13-2010, 03:01 PM
That makes me mad that you said Kevin Garnett is in love with team play. It's a player's choice if they want to be selfish, or pass, and basically what you're saying is that he cares TOO much about getting his team shots, and to win. I think it's great he is focusing on the team, and less about himself. Teamwork & Intelligence & Defense wins championships, all of which KG has.

Chronz
01-13-2010, 03:50 PM
They got old, and your being too harsh on KG, have you adjusted his stats for pace, efficiency and minutes, if so I dont see how you could have anything against him. Tmac is just unlucky and has declined steadily over the years, I do believe he has more in him than say AI, AI is done bro, it would take him ALOT more shots than what you mentioned to get 30PPG, so much that him scoring so much defeats the purpose (to win the game).

Dont know whats up with Vince, but he is 33, though hes missing alot of shots he normally makes, hes settling more than ever. Could be a sign that hes done as far as the player I thought hed be, but hes better than what hes showed.

Chronz
01-13-2010, 03:51 PM
That makes me mad that you said Kevin Garnett is in love with team play. It's a player's choice if they want to be selfish, or pass, and basically what you're saying is that he cares TOO much about getting his team shots, and to win. I think it's great he is focusing on the team, and less about himself. Teamwork & Intelligence & Defense wins championships, all of which KG has.

You forgot Offense, thats pretty important dont you think?

kobebabe
01-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Age and the injuries that go with it are what brought these players down. Kobe is the best in the game and is more committed than the rest, so he will last longer.

Iverson - 35 in June
Shaq - 38 in March (ancient)
Carter - 33 in two weeks
Garnett - 34 in May
McGrady - 31 in May

mmhhh. That explains it. We need to take our hats off for these aging stars for accomplishing so much in their career. Some of them like Garnett are still productive; just not as they used to be when they were "the man" in their former teams, which is a great sign of maturity IMO. They understand they can't be what they used to be and are smart enough to allow others take over to help them end their careers with championships. Iverson is also still productive but he has too much ego to accept his natural decline and thus his downfall.

Shammyguy3
01-13-2010, 05:01 PM
On ten shots a game.

In his heyday, he was getting twenty five shots a game.

What does that say?

If Iguodala and Young weren't hogging the ball so much, Iverson could still be putting up 30. Which I think he would have if he went to New York instead of back to Philly.

And I understand Garnett has to share with Pierce and Allen, but everyone's stats are down this year. Pierce is down to 18, Allen 16.5 and Garnett 15 and 7. Garnett, 7 rebounds? C'mon. It's not even that their stats are down that bothers me, it's how little they care. Rondo and Perkins are the only Celtics to actually improve. I believe by two years this will be Rondo's team more than anyone else.

your so wrong, just so annoying

Sixerlover
01-13-2010, 06:18 PM
^ Yeah I'm not even going to acknowledge that.

But stars age, and take on lesser roles. It's the way of the NBA. Just look at every 5 years. there are people that were stars 5 years ago, and just average now. And rookies 5 years ago that are stars now. It's just how it goes.

kblo247
01-13-2010, 06:38 PM
How is that JO was not mentioned anywhere in the thread as he and the Pacers were considered great for the first half of the decade?

The age/miles thing goes out the window for JO/VC/T-Mac/AI and even KG when you take into account that Duncan and Kobe have way more miles on them. KG had some bad luck, but Tracy, Vince, Allen and Jermaine aren't really known for putting work in outside of actual games and that has cost them.

You don't have to be a star player or have great talent to preserve yourself and prolong your career but you have to put work in. A prime example if a guy who works hard, even though he is playing like crap right now is Fisher. He trains his *** off every summer to prepare for the regular season, has made 6 Finals trips, torn tendons in his feet, had foot/knee surgery, and has logged a lot of minutes for the current Lakers the past 2 seasons. He put in the time and effort, and his body just like a car that is taken good care of has lasted to the tune of him not missing a game in years (besides Scola).

Yankee Lifer
01-14-2010, 03:27 AM
They might have been stars then but its a new era and the only one that stood the test of time is Kobe..

Iverson - Still got alot left in the tank if he's aloud to be a #1. Get him more shots and he will proform 25pts 6ast 2stl. I'll take that.
Shaq - They could till get something out of him if theykeep him healthy to the playoffs. Let him bang around for that stretch couse he still has size,other wise let him joke around in the locker room and keep the team cool.
Carter - His days are over playin top notch ball. If he has to give it all one game he's hurt for the next 3. He will need a walker by 35.
Garnett - He's a has been. Aside from his stupid faces there no room for him on sptort center.
McGrady - Now this dude is all ****ed up and I dont know where to start. I think if he wanted to play though he could avg. 20 but who knows anymore, hes been on sebaticale for like 3 years.