PDA

View Full Version : Can any current players surpass Kareem for All-Time Scoring?

JasonJohnHorn
01-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Kareem currently holds the record for most career points at 38 387 playing about twenty years and holding a career scoring average of 24.6 points. Do any of you think there are any players currently in the NBA capable of surpassing that career total? Keep in mind that who might surpass Kareem's record will likely have to have a 20 year career to do this. I think the clearest prospect to beat this record is LBJ. He is currently on pace to put himself over 15 000 for his career by season's end and he's only twenty five. If he averages around 26+ a game for the next ten year he should be able to compile another 20 000 (barring injury). That would put him at 35 000 thousand points and less than 5000 points behind Kareem with 5 years until he hits 40 years of age, meaning he'd only have to score about an average of 14 points a game over the span of five years from age 35-40. But does he have the longevity to play that long? His power game and shooting will likely make him an effective scorer up until 40, but will he play that long?

Other options include Kobe and Wade. Kobe is 32 right now and has almost 25 000 career points. He would need about another 15 000 points over the next 8 seasons if he were to retire at 40, meaning from now until 40 years old he'd have to average around 24 or 25 points a game. He can put out such averages for the next 3 or 4 seasons for sure, but I don't think his game will allow him to play at that lever at 38 or 39. Wade is at 10 000 career points and needs about another 20 0000, which means averaging 27 points per game for the next ten seasons unitl he is 28 or 24 a game until he is about 40. I'm not sure his game would allow him the longevity to stay at that level.

So what do you all thinK? Are any current players capable of passing Kareem? LBJ? Wade? Bryant? Or perhaps somebody I've not suggested? Durant? Carmelo?

KG2TB
01-12-2010, 10:07 AM
LBJ has a legit shot

Kobe has a decent shot but I don't think he'll make it

Durant has a shot as well if he plays until he's 40

mfb_lt1birdman
01-12-2010, 10:15 AM
LBJ or Kobe are the only ones to even consider. Hard to put anything past Kobe but I just don't see it happening. I think he will go down as # 2 or #3 all time. LBJ at his current pace will probably get to #2 or #3 as well. But asking for solid performance out of perimeter players into their late thirties to accomplish this feat is insane.

I think KAJ's record is safe.

xxseven72ducexx
01-12-2010, 10:28 AM
lebron without a doubt....hell play til hes 42 and will average atleast 20 then, BET

boms-4
01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
LBJ and Kobe are the only ones that have a chance to do it

Hellcrooner
01-12-2010, 10:47 AM
kobe wil bal hog his way into it .

grega1976
01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't think it will happen... It would have to be a C or a post up PF... Wings don't keep their ability that late into their career... Jordan would have broke it if he didn't take a couple breaks from the game. Kobe has to average 30 ppg for the rest of this season and 5 more years to get there... just don't see that happening... as great as Kobe is he's only averaged 30ppg 3 times in his career... more realistically would be 25ppg which would add another year to the journey... If any current players stand a chance I would think it would be Lebron just do to the fact that he started putting up big numbers much earlier in his career than Kobe... That being said Lebron would have to keep up his phenominal pace for nearly 12 more seasons (roughly 37 yrs old) to get there...

tredigs
01-12-2010, 12:21 PM
I don't think it will happen... It would have to be a C or a post up PF... Wings don't keep their ability that late into their career... Jordan would have broke it if he didn't take a couple breaks from the game...

New sentences are your friend. And you contradicted yourself in the same breath with the the wing/Jordan statement lol...... ......... ....... ..... (......) ........

But to the focus, we all know this is an injury game as much as it's about ability. And the above poster's right that it's a lot easier to accomplish as a dominant 4 or 5 than a guard/forward if for no other reason than you don't need to move as much and have an easier time making buckets with much less strain on your body (especially if you can make free throws and don't get the hack a shaq). Lebron's explosiveness and power won't be as transcendent when he's 35 years old, so he'll need to really have mastered his jump shot and three ball to have a chance at that mark.

I don't think Kobe reaches it, though I think he comes close enough for SportsCenter to talk about it incessantly for a few seasons and tangent to whether or not him breaking that is more significant than A Rod going for the all time home run crown because of 'roid abuse, the lack of mystique in basbeball records, etc etc etc.

Wade doesn't have a shot in my mind. Too injury prone.

That said, my darkhorse pick is The Durantula. He can score in a million ways already and is improving by the day. You can't teach that kind of scoring ease, and that's gonna pay dividends later in his career. But I also think he's already better than Melo and a top 5 player in the NBA, so I guess you can take that with a grain of salt.

ChiSox219
01-12-2010, 05:15 PM
It's all about PPG

JasonJohnHorn
01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Lebron's explosiveness and power won't be as transcendent when he's 35 years old, so he'll need to really have mastered his jump shot and three ball to have a chance at that mark.

You are absolutely right. Power players have a much easier time maintainging their game/stats late into their career. Kareem, Karl Malone, and Moses Malone and Hakeem are also good examples. But there have been guard who have played well late in the careers over the last 10-15 years. I would have never imagined Jordan would have played as well as he did at 35 had you asked me that whe he was 27, but he was still putting up nearly 30 a game at 35, and when he came out of retirement at 38/39 he was still scoring over 20 a game. Had he stayed in the game after his first retirement he would have had another 3000 career points then, and had he stayed in for his secornd retirement, his averages likely would have been around 22-25, which would have given him almost an additional 6000 career points, easily putting him over Kareem's career numbers. Backcourt players are playing with more longevity in this generation. Stockton played until 40 and was still leading the league in assist-per-minute, and finished in the top five. At 40! A six-foot point guard. Nash and to a lesser extend Kidd, are both playing well at 35 and 36 respectively and both have contracts for two seasons after this one.

Coupled with this trend (which is due I think in part to better conditioning), James is as much a power player as he is a finess player. He plays the wing, but he's 6'8 and has a lot of muscle. He can bang in the post and player power forward as well as anybody in the league if he needs to and is capable of scoring 25+ a game as a post player if needed, but he has a diverse offensive game and you noted he would have to improve his jump shot (as Jordan did late in his career) and 3-ball. James has been doing both at a point in his career, his FG% is a career high, as is his 3-point%. And his conditioning seems to be amazing. Outisde of some season ending injuries, I really think LBJ has the tools to play at his current level until 35 or 36, and has the tools to be posting 20+ppg up until around 39 or even 40. I really think that James can not only break it, but make the record unbreakable by the time he retires. I think if things go well in terms of injury-free play, James has the potential to easily post 40 000 career point and may push it up to 42-44 000.

J_M_B
01-12-2010, 05:53 PM
LBJ can probably do it..

J_M_B
01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Kobe would need to continue to play at a high level into his upper 30s.

B.JenningsMVP
01-12-2010, 07:43 PM
I can see Kobe beating it, then Lebron beating out Kobe later on.. anything Kobe does in scoring like the youngest player to score ______, Lebrons always surpassed it.. and i think this is one he'll beat out kobe in again..

IF THEY DO NOT SUFFER ANY SEVERE INJURIES THAT'D COST THEM SIGNIFICANT TIME OFF.. lol

tr4shb0t
01-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't think it will happen, but Kobe has the best shot since he has always improved parts of his game to counter age-related setbacks.

smith&wesson
01-12-2010, 08:11 PM
No way man, the game was very different back then. who averages 25 plus points a game at the age of 38. i know. no one.

RadiantShot
01-12-2010, 08:25 PM
I think Kobe's going to pass it, I honestly do.

Lebron, yes. Why? Because he's not human. The guy is probably going to play into his early 40's.

_KB24_
01-12-2010, 08:36 PM
No one is touching the "Captain's" record. Kobe is the only legitimate answer here. I need to see more from Lebron to consider him.

ManRam
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Will Kobe average 24-25 points a game for the next ten years? No.

LeBron got a much bigger head start than Kobe. I don't think there is any reason to think he'll break down at an early age. He had 3829 points after two years. Kobe had just over 300 more points after his 4 year. It took him 5 years to get to 2000 points a year. In LeBron's second year he had 2175. Kobe has 6 2,000 point years. Bron already has 5. He's got a huge head start. He already has way more than half as many points (14,000) in half the amount of seasons Kobe's been in the league. (25,000).

I don't need to see any more from LeBron. I think it's more reasonable to expect him to do it actually.

Kakaroach
01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
No one will pass the mark currently in the league. No one will even pass the Mailman's record.

jjizle
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
i think lebron has the only legit shot at it. he hasnt even hit his prime yet and can/will put up some ridiculous jordan type seasons.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Lebron got 14K through 6 years. He will probably have close to 16K by seasons end.

I give it to him broken by someone else later on.

ManRam
01-12-2010, 09:15 PM
I think if anyone really thinks it will never be broken, they are crazy. KA-J's rookie year was when he was 22. He only averaged over 30 points a game 3 times. I'm sure someone who's a rookie at the age or 19 or 20 can have a longer and more or just as successful career as him. It will without a doubt fall sometime.

albertc86
01-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Kobe. Lebron could but I don't think he'll even surpass Kobe. LeBron is an interesting case because in a few years he will have to alter his game; it'll be in his best interest to stop attacking the rim to avoid serious injury. All high fly acts need to make that change after they approach 30 years of age. LeBron is developing a shot but his ft% isn't great and he'll slow down with age and put on a few pounds. LeBron's body is a double-edged sword. Right now, it allows him to do beastly things but he'll have to cut weight if he wants to keep his speed and jumping ability; it really depends on how Lebron takes care of himself. I know LeBron seems like the most reasonable and logical answer but it's scary when he gets up as high as he does. Do you know how disastrous it would be if he even landed wrong?

RaptorizedKevin
01-13-2010, 02:06 AM
Kevin Durant. without a question. yu guys think kobe can beat that record? ur crazy. hes at 25 000 points at age 31. and scores almost 2000 a season. so thats like.. 9 more seasons to go.. not even when hes 40 he will acheieve that. its not possible for him. Kevin Durant will. Lebron has a legit shot.

C_A_S_H
01-13-2010, 02:35 AM
Lebron James probally the only guy dat could beat it
as of right now

NPH
01-13-2010, 02:41 AM
How would LBJ be able to? You know when he gets older, he isnt going to be able to rely on his athleticism anymore. If he can develop a REAL jumpshot, then yes he has a chance. But he cant just charge people when he gets older. His body wouldnt be able to take it. Dawg

GREATNESS ONE
01-13-2010, 02:56 AM
The only way I see LBJ doing this if he expands his game. Once his body wears down his lack of Post up and Outside game will be the downfall. I would love to say Kobe but there is no way he will put up another 15k points. To be honest I don't see anyone passing The Captain up that Sky Hook was Deadly , Hell it's even Deadly now.

albertc86
01-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I'll reserve judgement on LeBron until I see his transformation that all superstars eventually have to make such as stop attacking the rim as much and expanding his game. If he wants to retain his speed and athletic prowess he'll need to cut weight. Or, he could turn into a Karl Malone because of his strength. At any rate, I don't think he'll pass Kobe when it's all said and done. You can't forget that he's not a selfish player; he could become more of a passer than a scorer later in his career. And yes, LeBron could play well into his 30's but the guy has an insatiable desire to win as all greats do. Do you really think he'll conitnue playing if there's a small chance of winning titles? I don't think so.