PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger: Magic obvious trade partner for Wizards

Raph12
01-10-2010, 04:01 PM
This is Hollinger's speculation on ESPN Insider:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-100108&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dholling er_john%26page%3dPERDiem-100108

Washington Wizards, $8.75 million over the luxury tax

The Wizards are going nowhere fast, so it seems preposterous to think they'll fork out nearly $9 million in tax and forego another $4 million or so in distributions from the league just to win 28 games instead of 25 (presuming they'll be unsuccessful in voiding Arenas' contract before the trade deadline).
Here's where it gets tricky -- since Oklahoma City swallowed up Matt Harpring's deal in the Maynor trade, there's nobody left with the cap space to take on a big contract.

The most-discussed deal for Washington would be to send Antawn Jamison to Cleveland for Zydrunas Ilgauskas' expiring contract, since that gets Washington off the hook for the last three years of Jamison's deal; I have no doubt Washington could also be persuaded to waive Ilgauskas to allow Cleveland to re-sign him.

The problem is that such a deal does nothing for the Wizards' present tax situation. As a result, there's less urgency for such a trade than there is for other possibilities. In fact, the Wizards' best chances at deals may not involve any of their big three of Jamison, Arenas and Caron Butler.

For instance, consider this deal: Orlando uses its massive trade exception from the Hedo Turkoglu trade, adding Mike Miller, Dominic McGuire and DeShawn Stevenson (with the exception) from Washington, while sending J.J. Redick to Washington and Mickael Pietrus to Memphis. The trade would shore up the Magic's shooting and also clean up next year's balance sheet a bit.

If Orlando doesn't like that one, several potential variants work. For instance, Wizards center Brendan Haywood could go to the Magic while Redick stays in Orlando ... or the Magic could add Haywood, send Redick and Anthony Johnson to Memphis and hang on to Pietrus ... or the Magic could acquire Butler instead of Miller ... or the Magic could obtain Jamison instead of Miller and send either Brandon Bass or Marcin Gortat (with his consent, which presumably he'd give) back to Washington.

In any case, a three-way deal with Orlando and Memphis is the obvious escape hatch for the Wizards' predicament. But Memphis (or Sacramento) must be involved, since all the avenues above require using nearly all of the Grizzlies' or Kings' $4.2 million in remaining cap space. The best arrangement I come up with has Washington sending Randy Foye and Javaris Crittenton to Memphis and the Grizzlies sending Hamed Haddadi and Steven Hunter to Washington to complete the deal.

At the end, the Wizards will have wiped away $9 million in tax obligations, even before we get into any of the particulars with Arenas.

Option A:
PG - Nelson
SG - Carter
SF - Lewis
PF - Jamison
C - Howard

Option B:
PG - Nelson
SG - Carter
SF - Butler
PF - Lewis
C - Howard

The first trade is the least likely for the Magic, so I didn't bother making it an option. Jamison would be a hand-in-glove fit; a stretch 4 who could get to the rim, as well as shoot the 3-ball, yet also provide Howard with relief on the boards... Butler would be a great consolation though.

Toenail Clipper
01-10-2010, 04:10 PM
That crap is SCARY.

bal_ravens
01-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Dont see it happening. Trading in the same division so Jamison can come back and kill us every year?

Chronz
01-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Yea Finals for sure with those lineups

Kakaroach
01-10-2010, 04:18 PM
At this point I'm sure the Wizards are willing to do anything to get rid of those contracts, even trade in-division.

Would make the Magic very scary.

ManRam
01-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't want to give up JJ. Not really interested in Caron. I like him, but I don't think he really gives us something we really need. Jamison is interesting, but I wonder how that would effect Vince and Shard's offensive game. That would create a situation where there are a lot of guys who need a lot of shots, and would take even more away from Dwight. I'm almost more interested in Haywood than Jamison in all reality. It would help us out a lot verse the tall teams like LA, Boston, Cleveland, Denver etc.

Jays Claw
01-10-2010, 04:49 PM
The Orlando Magic would be tough to beat if they acquire Antawn Jamison.

Chronz
01-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Haywood should be on alot of teams wish list

rapjuicer06
01-10-2010, 05:11 PM
if jamison went to orlando and lewis goes back to the three position then they are a scary scary team. keep things posted up about this, i'm very intrigued. but did i see somewhere that cleveland's going after him too?

Ty Fast
01-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Dont see it happening. Trading in the same division so Jamison can come back and kill us every year?

and 6 times a year

RaptorizedKevin
01-10-2010, 05:14 PM
omg. NO DONT MAKE THE MAGIC THAT GOOD. THATS AN ARGUABLE PURE ALL START STARTIUNG LINEUP. KIDNA LIKE THE PISTONS YEARS AGO

RadiantShot
01-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Agreed with ManRam.

Unless we do something with Carter, so Carter doesn't take the majority of the shots, and get's everyone involved, then Haywood would be a possible option that would work better. However, Jamison is one scary player, I'm all for Jamison. We need a real powerforward, and we don't have one that plays consistent minutes.

Trouble87
01-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Magic are already good but that would put them over the top

VCaintdead17
01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Too much offense for the Magic for this to work IMO.

Sixerlover
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Jamison would be the PERFECT fit on the Magic. They'd be getting back that Hedo threat of a 6'10 big man who can shoot the 3, while keeping Vince. That's a scary thought.

xbrackattackx
01-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Wow...Wow Scary Possibility, They will probably try and trade Caron and Jamison for expirings, to (start a) rebuild in the off season.

xbrackattackx
01-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I honestly like the first trade option sending Stevenson,McGuire and Miller to Orlando. And them sending Pietrus and JJ out. Doesnt take touches away from any of the magics guys and makes the bench deeper.

2nd Unit.

J williams/Johnson
Mike Miller/Stevenson
Barnes/Mcguire
Anderson/Bass
Gortat/Foyle

Maybe they will use the trade exception and send Bass, Reddick and Gortat..And get Haywood,AJ and Blatche back.

redsox1520
01-10-2010, 07:20 PM
:ohno:
I just **** myself thinking of those possibilities

SteveNash
01-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Hollinger doesn't even mention trading Jamison or Butler going to Washington.

Thread creator is just living in a fantasy world.

RadiantShot
01-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I honestly like the first trade option sending Stevenson,McGuire and Miller to Orlando. And them sending Pietrus and JJ out. Doesnt take touches away from any of the magics guys and makes the bench deeper.

2nd Unit.

J williams/Johnson
Mike Miller/Stevenson
Barnes/Mcguire
Anderson/Bass
Gortat/Foyle

Maybe they will use the trade exception and send Bass, Reddick and Gortat..And get Haywood,AJ and Blatche back.

You're nuts, Stevenson, McGuire, and Miller are all scrubs, and we've already have 2 of the 3 that would be traded back. Our bench is fine, and JJ/Mickael both play better then any of these 3 guys, so there is no point in that trade.

xbrackattackx
01-10-2010, 08:19 PM
You're nuts, Stevenson, McGuire, and Miller are all scrubs, and we've already have 2 of the 3 that would be traded back. Our bench is fine, and JJ/Mickael both play better then any of these 3 guys, so there is no point in that trade.

Yea I'm nuts because that trade would be the only one that does not take touches away from the magics main core. Miller is better than JJ, and Stevenson and Mcguire are young talent that will develop into nice players and save the magic money.

So for JJ and Pietrus you get 3 players one that is Good and 2 young talents that won't take touches away from the starters. I was speaking on not hurting chemistry and saving money. Pietrus is average as average can be. And if they would do Bass and Pietrus for Miller and those 2 guys I would do that even faster if I was the magic.

RadiantShot
01-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Yea I'm nuts because that trade would be the only one that does not take touches away from the magics main core. Miller is better than JJ, and Stevenson and Mcguire are young talent that will develop into nice players and save the magic money.

So for JJ and Pietrus you get 3 players one that is Good and 2 young talents that won't take touches away from the starters. I was speaking on not hurting chemistry and saving money. Pietrus is average as average can be. And if they would do Bass and Pietrus for Miller and those 2 guys I would do that even faster if I was the magic.

JJ puts Miller in a coffin offensively, and is the best offensive player as of now on the Orlando Magic. Fact. He's been playing tremendous as of late.

Stevenson is a young talent? That's how I know you haven't kept up with your facts, Stevenson isn't really young at all. Young talent to me is 3 or less seasons played in the league. And Mickael is an unstoppable spark off the bench for us as of late, so I would be against giving him up. I'm sure people on the Magic forum would agree to plead my case, because it's true.

ManRam
01-10-2010, 09:39 PM

No. You are nuts. Redick is our best bench player. DeShawn Stevenson is not only not young, but he is one of the 10 worst players in the league. Dominic McGuire's future is not very bright...and if he can't play in Washington, why the hell would Orlando want him? Miller is a good player still, but I do think Redick has found his niche on the Magic.

Your trade idea makes me vomit. It makes our bench go from one of if not the best benches, to an average one instantly. No thanks.

Pietrus and Redick don't take shots away from any starters. I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. They are GREAT bench players.

Raph12
01-10-2010, 09:43 PM

Your ideas aren't bad, but the Magic need defense on the wings as well, something none of those guys from Washington possess. Both Redick and Pietrus are good/great one-on-one wing defenders and both fit in really well in the Magic's system. The only guy from that trade that would fit in is Miller, the Magic would fare better with Jamison or Butler for Bass+Gortat+AJ, that way they don't sacrifice any rotation players.

RadiantShot
01-10-2010, 09:52 PM
No. You are nuts. Redick is our best bench player. DeShawn Stevenson is not only not young, but he is one of the 10 worst players in the league. Dominic McGuire's future is not very bright...and if he can't play in Washington, why the hell would Orlando want him? Miller is a good player still, but I do think Redick has found his niche on the Magic.

Your trade idea makes me vomit. It makes our bench go from one of if not the best benches, to an average one instantly. No thanks.

Pietrus and Redick don't take shots away from any starters. I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. They are GREAT bench players.

This guy. :clap:;)

xbrackattackx
01-10-2010, 10:23 PM

I never said they did, So way to jump in a conversation you don't even know what your talking about. I said Butler or Antwan Jamison would take touches away not Pietrus or JJ. I think Miller is better than JJ that's my opinion so way to get all crazy about my choice, and Last time when D Stevenson isn't really that young but when he was in Orlando at one point he was avg. 11.0 ppg, 2.9 rpg, and 2.0 apg not saying that's great. But I would just like to see Miller on the Magic and get a chance to get a ring him and JJ would be lights out.Even if it was for Bass Gortat and Aj for Miller and Butler or something like that.:) Thank you for being rude by the way it showed your maturity.

xbrackattackx
01-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Your ideas aren't bad, but the Magic need defense on the wings as well, something none of those guys from Washington possess. Both Redick and Pietrus are good/great one-on-one wing defenders and both fit in really well in the Magic's system. The only guy from that trade that would fit in is Miller, the Magic would fare better with Jamison or Butler for Bass+Gortat+AJ, that way they don't sacrifice any rotation players.

Yes I like the Bass,Gortat and Aj For one of those guys too.

And thank you for not acting like a 12 year old just cause you didn't agree with my idea. :)