PDA

View Full Version : Rule Change #2: Shot Clock Violation

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Frequently I see a team (the Nets) air ball their attempt at the buzzer and the other team grabs the ball. Play is dead even if the other team catches the ball and has a potential fast break break.

I'm proposing that play isn't stopped when the shot clock goes off if the other team obtains possession after the buzzer goes off only if it doesn't touch rim.

Brew Crew
01-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Yeah that is pretty damn annoying I agree. I'm interested to hear what the reasoning is behind that.

king4day
01-09-2010, 10:38 AM
I like the idea. Wouldn't impede the game either.

Becks2307
01-09-2010, 01:28 PM
the buzzer will go off regradless confusing everyone...thats why i guess

daleja424
01-09-2010, 01:43 PM
nah. if the other team has the ball b4 the buzzer goes off they dont blow it dead

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 01:50 PM
ex: last night dooling heaves up a prayer and it's an airball. the buzzer goes off, cp3 catches it while the rest of his team is racing up court but the play is dead as soon as he catches it. i just don't get when it's necessary.

i suppose the buzzer going off might confuse some players but imo it really disrupts the flow of the game and denies the team with the defensive stop to break out.

madiaz3
01-09-2010, 04:56 PM
If play isn't stopped then it leaves unfair possibilities. What's to stop "shots" after the buzzer that are attempts to get the ball to hit off opposing players for an out of bounds call? Technically it could happen since play is live. So is all activity called dead for the offensive team only? It gets too complicated. Having the ball in your hands (even shooting it late) after the buzzer sounds should be treated like a travelling violation like it is right now. For the players who are stuck in double teams or the players who don't even realize the buzzer went off and still have the ball in their hand are they supposed to hand it over to the nearest player? Then you have rules regarding what happens when you violate the clock by shooting after versus still having it. Then players potentially hurt their team more by attempting the shot near the buzzer so they shoot seconds earlier instead BLAH BLAH. As you can see this creates more trouble than it's worth.

astrosmaniac
01-09-2010, 05:53 PM
^^ no, he means if the player shoots a 3 and it leaves his hand with 1 second, the buzzer goes off while its in the air. if it doesnt touch rim, but the defending team catches it, the play is blow dead. he is saying that should be a live ball and that the defense should get to try and turn it into a fast break

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 06:19 PM
If play isn't stopped then it leaves unfair possibilities. What's to stop "shots" after the buzzer that are attempts to get the ball to hit off opposing players for an out of bounds call? Technically it could happen since play is live. So is all activity called dead for the offensive team only? It gets too complicated. Having the ball in your hands (even shooting it late) after the buzzer sounds should be treated like a travelling violation like it is right now. For the players who are stuck in double teams or the players who don't even realize the buzzer went off and still have the ball in their hand are they supposed to hand it over to the nearest player? Then you have rules regarding what happens when you violate the clock by shooting after versus still having it. Then players potentially hurt their team more by attempting the shot near the buzzer so they shoot seconds earlier instead BLAH BLAH. As you can see this creates more trouble than it's worth.

I said only when the offensive guy airballs it (or hits backboard but not rim) and the other team obtains possession. If the guy failed to shoot it'd be the same as it is now. If the offensive guy goes out of his way to throw it at a defender, the shot clock still goes off for a shot clock violation. I'm talking about a really specific situation.

Bruno
01-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Totally agree. Stu Lantz, the Lakers local commentator has been proposing this for years.

_KB24_
01-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Leave it how it is, the buzzer is going to go anyway.

SteveNash
01-09-2010, 10:36 PM
I think this is already a rule in the NBA...

JasonJohnHorn
01-09-2010, 10:58 PM
the buzzer will go off regradless confusing everyone...thats why i guess

I imagine that's why they have the rule as they do. I think its annoying when the defence gets the ball and can break with it. I'd like to see the rule change, but if the defence gets teh ball and it gets knocked out of their hands before they can push the outlet ball, do the buzzer count and stop the play? I would just like to see teams run with it, but the buzzer going off and potential turnovers may cause confussion.

MoBASS
01-10-2010, 05:47 AM
No you can't do this because in the closing seconds if the team on defense is down a point then they may want the clock stopped as soon as possible, so they can inbound the ball and run a play.

You can't sometimes let them run and sometimes stop the clock. There has to be consistency.

Xsatyr
01-10-2010, 07:02 AM
It is to ensure the defense is awarded the ball for playing defense 24 seconds. The rule protects the defense bc once the defender gets his hands on the ball then how quick can he be stripped? Refs will then have to determine if the defender gets possession before the offensive player steals the ball back. Simply put it makes things easier for refs, I say keep the rule.

knickfan4life
01-10-2010, 07:30 AM
you cant change that rule b/c like in soccer when a player is fouled, if the play continues in that teams favor, they dont call the foul, problem here is, they dont want to implement that idea, so if a team gets an offensive rebound on a play like that, balls dead, then you end up with a problem of when do you kill the play and when do you continue it, what if 2 players r fighting for the ball, confuses things a lot. this way, ball is always dead and no one can argue about y the play was or was not called dead