PDA

View Full Version : Najera Sent Packing, Sean Williams Cut

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 09:40 AM
The New Jersey Nets have agreed to trade Eduardo Najera(notes) to the Dallas Mavericks for forwards Kris Humphries(notes) and Shawne Williams(notes), sources told Yahoo! Sports Friday night.

The deal won’t be officially completed until Monday, after which the Nets will buy out Williams’ contract. Williams was sent away in training camp by the Mavericks and hasn’t played this season.

To open a roster spot, New Jersey will also cut center Sean Williams(notes), who was the 17th pick in the 2007 draft out of Boston College. Williams has been a huge disappointment for the Nets, who believed the 6-foot-10 center had the ability to become one of the NBA’s best shot-blockers. The Nets are now determined to move most of the disgruntled veterans out of their locker room. They bought out Rafer Alston’s(notes) contract, so he could sign with the Miami Heat.

The Nets have also been seeking a trade for forward Josh Boone(notes), but have thus far been unsuccessful. New Jersey tried to trade Alston and forward Tony Battie(notes) to the Knicks for Nate Robinson(notes) and Darko Milicic(notes) before Christmas, but were rebuffed.http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApFqw0hWtPLZrNt9RFDAVK28vLYF?slug=aw-mavsnetstrade010810

lol @ NJN for all their baby sized trades. it's nice they dumped Najera's terrible long term contract. They do lose a little bit of cap space though.

They also cut Shawne Williams.

UltimateMVP22
01-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Wow their packing it up already? I would worry more about trying not to go worst than 9-73 than this.

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Wow their packing it up already? I would worry more about trying not to go worst than 9-73 than this.

lol i think the Nets get better with this deal. Swat is awful. Humphries is usable and will chuck up shots like Najera. The difference is that Humphries is young and possibly tradeable.

I had high hopes for Sean Williams.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd2LsTWf6oY
If only he had a cooler head. I expect him to work out with Bosh this summer like before.

oak2455
01-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Who cares about the Nets besides JAY-Z:confused:

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 10:31 AM

lol

JIDsanity
01-09-2010, 10:47 AM

Me

JIDsanity
01-09-2010, 10:49 AM

Packing what up? Najera sucks donkey balls, so does Sean Williams, and Josh Boone. If the Nets could get a corn flake for Boone they'd be happy.

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Packing what up? Najera sucks donkey balls, so does Sean Williams, and Josh Boone. If the Nets could get a corn flake for Boone they'd be happy.

apparently he's a good offensive rebounder. 2.4 orpg in 20mpg is pretty decent (boone).

Trouble87
01-09-2010, 11:11 AM
is Sean Williams really that bad?

I remember he was doing it big his rookie season

robrobert13
01-09-2010, 11:21 AM

No..I happen to think he has great potential. Granted he does get into stupid foul trouble nearly everytime he gets to play, when he was along side Carter and Kidd he was an instant spark off the bench and always brought the opportunity to block a bunch of shots. He barely gets any playing time so he can't even get the experience to learn from his mistakes. Regardless of his downsides, he is a raw, athletic freak. I think if given a chance on a good team he can play pretty well.

JasonJohnHorn
01-09-2010, 11:23 AM
I just can't beleive they gave up on Williams so easily! I know there are some who may laugh at me, and he is foul prone, but that guys does have a high ceiling and some sick ball handling skills for a big guy. I hope to see Portlant or the Spurs pick that guy up because I think he is the type of player who will perform better with good players around him. He had a high FG% his rookie season when he was getting consistent shots, but his minutes were limited because Josh Boone had a great rebounding season that year and are up a lot of minutes and the following season saw Brooke Lopez tear onto the scene. Obviously Lopez deserves the mnutes and Boone is a solid backup, so Williams is left out in the cold. And though his per-minute stats were never very impressive, I think under a solid coach like Pop or Jackson, Sean Williams could still become a solid starter on most team. LA obviously doesn't need him because they are stacked at center with Bynum and Gasol, but the Spurs are still going with the "center-by-committee" plan (Blair, Bonner, Ratliff and McDysse splitting minutes) so Sean Williams may be able to get some minutes as well as learn from some great front court vets (Duncan, Ratliff and McDysse) as well as a great coach. If not the Spurs then the Trailblazers shoudl chase after him to fill the gaping hole they have at center. I know Williams will likely end up a journey man who sits at the end of the bench unless the starting center gets injured, but he's still young and can still develop into a solid starter or at least role player under the proper guidance.

I think that was part of the problem with Kwambe Brown. He was drafted be a team that had a young center (Haywood- himself a rookie) who was competing for minutes and looking for a contract himself and didn't have a front-court coach or teammate to take him under his wing (unless you count Laettner). Jordan, from what I heard, was very hard on Kwambe and talked down to him a lot and yelled at him, which some people respond to and some people don't, while Haywood wanted all the minutes at center he could get so he could earn a decent contract. Had Kwambe been drafted to a team like the Spurs where he'd have Robinson and Duncan showing him the game, I think Kawmbe would have developed into a much better player. I think the same can be said about Williams. Some players don't really hit their stride until they are 27 or 28, and some peak at a young age. Having two or three rookie centers or sophomore centers competing for minutes is not always the best way to develope talent and I think Sean Williams still has the potential to turn his career around and become a solid contributor to an NBA team.

Time will tell.

Kakaroach
01-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Eh, do they even have 12 people on their roster now? 3 straight players cut is a lot.

JasonJohnHorn
01-09-2010, 11:28 AM
apparently he's a good offensive rebounder. 2.4 orpg in 20mpg is pretty decent (boone).

You are absolutely right! Boone is a solid rebounder and a great guy to have backing up at center. He's capable of double-double with starting minutes and his sophomre season when he got the startign spot half way through the season he was a rebounding horse pulling in an average of 14 a game for the last couple months of the season if I remember right (though he hadn't gotten many minutes the first half of the season). Any team in the league would want Boone coming off the bench.

JOSKOMANG4
01-09-2010, 12:16 PM
The main point of this deal is that the Nets traded a player who was under contract until 2012 for 2 expiring contracts! Result; More money for 2010 free agency!! Great move by the NJ Nets!!

After '09-'10 season complete.. this is what the Nets roster look like be4 the Draft & free agency!

Roster:

SG/PG- Devin Harris, $8.891 million
PG- Kenyon Dooling, $3.7 million(Non-Guaranteed)
PF/SF- Yi , $4.051 million
C- Brook Lopez, $2.4.14 million
SF- Terrence Williams- $2.215 million
SG- Courtney Lee - $1.353 million
C/PF- Josh Boone- $2.993 million

Nets 2010 salary- $22.712 million

Proposed NBA Salary Cap- $53.6 million

Nets estimated Salary cap- $30.89million

Regardless of this seasons outcome, the Nets are an attractive team to a free agent based up on the young talent already on the roster, the proposed "big city" living life, and not to mention they are looking for a head coach after the season is complete( a big-name coach will intrigue a free agent to come to NJ).

Not to mention they have 4 picks in the 2010 draft!!! Including, a lottery pick(hopefully PG John Wall).

ishouldbeagm
01-09-2010, 12:18 PM
kiki and rod thorn suck -_- hopefully they get a new gm when that russian dude buys the team

magichatnumber9
01-09-2010, 12:34 PM
I think the Nets are a vet short of a playoff team and that's no ****ing joke. If I'm a nets fan I am optomistic as hell at this juncture, esp if they get a top 3-5 pick and scoop up someone like Aldrich to compliment Lopez in the paint. I think this team is close man.

Jays Claw
01-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I always liked the passion and work ethic Kris Humphries brought to the table night in and night out.

Robbw241
01-09-2010, 12:40 PM
SWAT wasnt playing and neither was Najera so :shrug:

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 01:02 PM

he had jkidd and vc throwing him lobs.

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Eh, do they even have 12 people on their roster now? 3 straight players cut is a lot.

we boughout alston, cutting/waiving the sean/shawne williams. we brought in quinn, shawne williams and kris humphries.

the trade should be official monday.

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 01:07 PM
The main point of this deal is that the Nets traded a player who was under contract until 2012 for 2 expiring contracts! Result; More money for 2010 free agency!! Great move by the NJ Nets!!

After '09-'10 season complete.. this is what the Nets roster look like be4 the Draft & free agency!

Roster:

Regardless of this seasons outcome, the Nets are an attractive team to a free agent based up on the young talent already on the roster, the proposed "big city" living life, and not to mention they are looking for a head coach after the season is complete( a big-name coach will intrigue a free agent to come to NJ).

Not to mention they have 4 picks in the 2010 draft!!! Including, a lottery pick(hopefully PG John Wall).

sorry but that aint true.
Letís take a tale of the tape here regarding the two main pieces in this deal, Humphries and Najera. Humphries is going to add anywhere between $200K and $700K to the salary cap next season and is 10 years younger than Najera.

i think in the end it's about total contract money. najera is owed more over the length of his contract than humphries. i think what humphries is owed next year is a player option (i doubt he doesnt pick it up).

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 01:09 PM
SWAT wasnt playing and neither was Najera so :shrug:

haha yeah the hawks announcers were making fun of sean the other night in the blowout. they were like so when you're down 20+ points on a 3-33 team, that's when you get subbed in.

nycericanguy
01-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Roster:

if they have 4 first round picks isnt that 4 guarenteed contracts? and a lottery contract is expensive. i would think those 4 contracts would add up to close to 10 million no?

thedfactor
01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Wouldn't mind Dallas taking a chance and sign Sean Williams. he played well with Kidd

Robbw241
01-09-2010, 01:35 PM
if they have 4 first round picks isnt that 4 guarenteed contracts? and a lottery contract is expensive. i would think those 4 contracts would add up to close to 10 million no?

They only have 2.

JOSKOMANG4
01-09-2010, 01:44 PM

4 2010 draft picks..

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Wouldn't mind Dallas taking a chance and sign Sean Williams. he played well with Kidd

trust me you dont want him. i think gooden and dampier play well with dirk. not sure what dampier's health issue is. anyway swat is way too foul prone to help your team. however, maybe moving closer to home will set him straight.

Verbal Christ
01-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Williams will come home to the "H"

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Williams will come home to the "H"

sure if you want him. maybe his family can set him straight. they said that during his rookie year he'd call home every night to talk to his siblings.

BkOriginalOne
01-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I want Najera back in Denver.

Sean Williams will find a team.

Nighthawk
01-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Celtics should swoop in an sign Sean Williams. And then cut Sheldon Williams. Id like that move

D2theJ
01-09-2010, 04:02 PM
I think the Nets are a vet short of a playoff team and that's no ****ing joke. If I'm a nets fan I am optomistic as hell at this juncture, esp if they get a top 3-5 pick and scoop up someone like Aldrich to compliment Lopez in the paint. I think this team is close man.

I'm with you. Yes I am a Nets fan but I look at their situation similar to the Celtics a few years back. They go from crap to a championship team by getting Garnett and Allen basically. The Nets have their whole current starting team under contract next year. Plus the most money, 2 first round picks and one of which will most likely be a top 3. I think if they don't get a Lebron or Wade they can sign 2 star players at the PF and SF/SG position and be a playoff team again.

Mavrix
01-09-2010, 04:20 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApFqw0hWtPLZrNt9RFDAVK28vLYF?slug=aw-mavsnetstrade010810

lol @ NJN for all their baby sized trades. it's nice they dumped Najera's terrible long term contract. They do lose a little bit of cap space though.

They also cut Shawne Williams.

Dallas saves 2.5 mil for 2010, 5 mil if you count luxary tax. I like it.

theuuord
01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
this is a franchise alterer.

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Dallas saves 2.5 mil for 2010, 5 mil if you count luxary tax. I like it.

haha that too. i guess both teams save money with this move. if sean is getting waived and actually gets picked up, i suppose they're not responsible for his remaining salary.

ko8e24
01-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Najera back with his old team, the Dallas Mavericks

vash9
01-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Well, i'm not gonna lie.

Sean Williams is a very, very inconsistent player. I hate that he always gets a foul right when he steps on the court..

why couldn't he play every game like he did on the rookie vs sophmore games?...

DenButsu
01-10-2010, 12:16 AM
I know he's kind of a basketcase, but if the Nuggets could keep Williams on a short leash, I wouldn't at all mind seeing them pick him up. He could really bolster their front line, which still lacks a legit 4th big man in the rotation.

_KB24_
01-10-2010, 12:29 AM
How the hell is Najera still playing?

arkanian215
01-10-2010, 12:42 AM
I know he's kind of a basketcase, but if the Nuggets could keep Williams on a short leash, I wouldn't at all mind seeing them pick him up. He could really bolster their front line, which still lacks a legit 4th big man in the rotation.

sean can smoke all the weed he wants out in denver. fewer prying eyes out there.

arkanian215
01-10-2010, 12:42 AM
How the hell is Najera still playing?

he aint playing.;)

topdog
01-10-2010, 01:06 AM
I thought the Nets liked Boone... they don't have very many decent young players even do they?

Sean Williams I swear is like the second coming of Eddie Griffin, let's just hope it doesn't turn out the same.

Kris Humphries is horrible. If he has any good stats, he probably padded them - take it from someone who watched him play for the Gophers.

kblo247
01-10-2010, 01:21 AM
Williams would be a perfect addition to the Lakers bench as an energy big to play with Odom like they wanted Mihm to be last year. Hell, Williams could go to San Antonio and start next to Duncan and provide them with the big they have been missing since Nazr left.

The one guy on the Nets roster that I hope they are willing to sale to LA is Dooling.

ko8e24
01-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Williams would be a perfect addition to the Lakers bench as an energy big to play with Odom like they wanted Mihm to be last year.

The one guy on the Nets roster that I hope they are willing to sale to LA is Dooling.

wut have u heard on dooling. r they planning to buy him out or something? or are they looking to trade him for an expiring? cuz i would trade morrison for dooling and boone in a heartbeat :) (if the salaries match)

and then sign williams.

then we'd have 15 on the roster.

Netslunatic76
01-10-2010, 03:34 AM
wut have u heard on dooling. r they planning to buy him out or something? or are they looking to trade him for an expiring? cuz i would trade morrison for dooling and boone in a heartbeat :) (if the salaries match)

and then sign williams.

then we'd have 15 on the roster.

I haven't heard anything about Dooling going anywhere and I hope it stays that way.