PDA

View Full Version : Would you support this NBA rule change? (Assists)

sf-fanatic
01-09-2010, 04:01 AM
I'm going to use players as examples because it might be hard to understand.

Say Chris Paul was to make make a nice pass (potential assist) to David West and David West gets fouled while shooting. If David West were to hit BOTH of the free throws (and on three pointers, the player must hit all 3 free throws), should Chris Paul be awarded the assist?

What do you guys think about this rule?

Please don't bash me too hard on it, i just thought that this would be a great debate topic.

My opinion would be that if a player were to convert all the free throws, the player making the pass should get the assist.

And the definition of assists would remain the same as it is when a player makes the basket without a foul

Cubs Win
01-09-2010, 04:10 AM
I've thought about this before, but it would completely change the comparisons of players now to past players. More players would look like elite players because of the numbers we're used to seeing. So while it is definitely an interesting idea, I wouldn't want it to happen.

BlinkManJan02
01-09-2010, 04:23 AM
I've thought about this a lot actually. It would give todays player an advantage, you know the opportunity for extra assists. They should have done this from day one. I think it's too late to change it now. What Cubs Win said is pretty right on as to how I feel about it.

Nice thread by the way. I'm curious as to what others will say.

abe_froman
01-09-2010, 04:24 AM
honestly i'd rather it go back to how it use to be,like actual assist(catch and shoots) and not up to the scorers discretion

tkshy
01-09-2010, 04:34 AM
Call me old fashioned, but I have to say no. There is no need for. Plus if he is fouled there is no way of know if he would have made the basket. Don't need anymore padded stats.

JNA17
01-09-2010, 04:50 AM
I actually have another idea.

Something u said about "potential assists came to mind". Like let's say chris paul passes to David West, and david west misses, we could make another stat called something like "assist attempt". Then another stat like "assist %". what i mean by this stat is the assist % means pretty much the same thing as FG% except for Assist %.

Like let's say Steve Nash in this game does 10 asts, but lets say 23 assist attempts. Which means he is 10-23. Making 10 assists but missing 13 assists opportunitys. Which also means he had 43% in assists.

Basically, it's pretty much the same thing as how field goals work, but with Assists instead.

Theanswer76
01-09-2010, 04:53 AM

Something u said about "potential assists came to mind". Like let's say chris paul passes to David West, and david west misses, we could make another stat called something like "assist attempt". Then another stat like "assist %". what i mean by this stat is the assist % means pretty much the same thing as FG% except for Assist %.

Like let's say Steve Nash in this game does 10 asts, but lets say 23 assist attempts. Which means he is 10-23. Making 10 assists but missing 13 assists opportunitys. Which also means he had 43% in assists.

Basically, it's pretty much the same thing as how field goals work, but with Assists instead.

Yea i understand that, and that would be cool, but I think it would be real hard to track each attempt

kblo247
01-09-2010, 04:53 AM
I like that idea as it is like the blocks against stat and shows people if someone is selfish or not

foofighter97
01-09-2010, 04:56 AM
It is an interesting idea but I'd have to say no. It's such a circumstantial topic, for example if Chris Paul makes a great pass to a post down low who had a great look right next to the basket and he gets fouled and misses both free throws or just makes one he gets no assist, but then a post makes a bad pass it to a great free throw shooter who happens makes both and he does get the assist. It would would screw statistics and make players appear better on paper than they really are. It is a good idea based on your example but unfortunately your example would not always be the case.

JDizzle
01-09-2010, 05:39 AM
i wouldnt mind it

Wilson
01-09-2010, 05:58 AM

That's a nice idea, but it could really complicate the stat sheet. Using Nash as the example again, he could pass the ball out to Grant Hill, who could miss an open jumper. That would count as a failed assist attempt for Nash even though he executed properly.

Earlier someone said assists should only count for catch-and-shooting, I agree with this. If a guy catches a pass and makes a shot while getting fouled, the passer gets the assist even though he didn't really 'assist' the scorer, who had to deal with the more complicated situation. Guys like Nash and Paul would still get a ton of assists from creating open perimeter shots and clean looks inside, but it would help to make the stats more honest in my opnion.