PDA

View Full Version : Pacquiao agrees to fight with 'ecstatic' Clottey

NYKnickFanatic
01-08-2010, 07:06 PM
With his fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. all but off, Manny Pacquiao has instead agreed to fight Joshua Clottey on March 13 at a site to be determined, Pacquiao's camp said Friday.

Clottey's manager told ESPN.com's Dan Rafael that he spoke to Pacquiao's promoter, Top Rank's Bob Arum, on Friday about the fight's details but would only confirm a "seven-figure" purse.

"Josh is ecstatic about it," Vinny Scolpino told ESPN.com. "I think we can get this done in a couple of days. He's coming home [to New York from Ghana] on Monday."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4808708

Interesting.

jetsforever
01-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Woohoo...

Raps18-19 Champ
01-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Better than the other guy.

MJ-BULLS
01-08-2010, 08:00 PM
clottey's is gonna get his *** whooped

JJ_JKidd
01-09-2010, 12:10 AM
I still am hoping that the Mayweather crap will still be salvaged

jetsforever
01-09-2010, 01:05 AM
clottey's is gonna get his *** whooped

Couldn't beat Cotto, He'll never stand a chance with Pacman.

jetsforever
01-09-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm not saying he isn't a good fighter, but Manny and Mayweather are on totally different levels IMO. But even with Mayweather you can still see him losing. Manny is not going to lose to anyone unless he fights Mayweather... and even then.

cambovenzi
01-09-2010, 02:20 AM
lame..

heathonater
01-09-2010, 06:49 AM
so pue tacqiuao will fight some chump and avoid a massive fight with mayweather due to blood testing? this just seals boxing's fate as being dead.

Havoc Wreaker
01-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Clottey is a dangerous one, not going to be a walk in the park but I fully expect Pacquiao to win it.

FlyEaglesFly
01-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Clottey is a dangerous one, not going to be a walk in the park but I fully expect Pacquiao to win it.

Way to state the obvious buddy.

Gangreenseason
01-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Clottey is going to **** Pacquiao up, Mayweather was the easier fighter for Pacquiao

NYKnickFanatic
01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Clottey is going to **** Pacquiao up, Mayweather was the easier fighter for Pacquiao

Ill have what he is having please.

Maine_Arvie89
01-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Make me one 2 while u at it.....lol.....

I agree Clottley couldn't touch Cotto, Cotto couldn't handle Paq so it's a no brainer...I just don't see what's the big deal with the blood test if you train hard everyday & eat right & etc.. your body is basically like Wolverines when you do this on top of no drinking & smoking so a lil blood shouldn't hurt... It just made the excitement of boxing or Manny for 2010 decline. I'm a mayweather guy but I'm really ready to see him get tested by a guy that's relentless & not afraid to whoop his *** & other than Manny I don't see it...so I hate allll this

2009mvp
01-10-2010, 02:01 PM
^^Ah the ole' triangle theory, how often can that be disproved? Anyways, anyone that writes "Clottey couldn't touch Cotto" quite clearly didn't see their fight, nor any other Josh Clottey fight.

I gotta give Top Rank credit though, they're putting Pac in there without a catchweight against as rock solid a welterweight as any.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Has Manny ever faced a black guy before?

Gangreenseason
01-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Make me one 2 while u at it.....lol.....

I agree Clottley couldn't touch Cotto, Cotto couldn't handle Paq so it's a no brainer...I just don't see what's the big deal with the blood test if you train hard everyday & eat right & etc.. your body is basically like Wolverines when you do this on top of no drinking & smoking so a lil blood shouldn't hurt... It just made the excitement of boxing or Manny for 2010 decline. I'm a mayweather guy but I'm really ready to see him get tested by a guy that's relentless & not afraid to whoop his *** & other than Manny I don't see it...so I hate allll this

What the?!?!?!?! Clottey couldn't touch Cotto? What fight were you watching? I think u need to re watch that fight, Clottey got hosed on that one he clearly outpointed Cotto. Clottey is not an easy fight for pacquiao

Gangreenseason
01-10-2010, 07:00 PM
The truth about Pacquiao right here

http://*************************/videos/video.php?v=wshhfB1IPMi7379Sxqf7

H.E.R.
01-10-2010, 08:13 PM
The truth about Pacquiao right here

http://*************************/videos/video.php?v=wshhfB1IPMi7379Sxqf7

http://www.examiner.com/x-10947-Indianapolis-Fight-Sports-Examiner~y2010m1d9-Teddy-TellAll-Either-theres-an-idiot-in-Team-Pacquiao-or-Atlas-is-starting-crap

http://www.examiner.com/x-23590-Mississippi-Fight-Sports-Examiner~y2010m1d9-Unamed-reliable-source-alleges-cover-up

Yung N Fly
01-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Some of you need to go back and watch that Clottey and Cotto fight because Clottey should have won that one, It was close but Clottey won IMO.

Clottey is a much tougher opponent for Pac than Cotto was. He has more handspeed than Cotto and he has good defense, he's not easy to hit at all, plus he's a very accurate puncher who will keep coming at his opponent all night. Not to mention Clottey looks more like a middleweight than a welterweight.

It will be very interesting to see. I dont like to make predictions in boxing so lets just say I wont be suprised if Clottey wins this one.

sherf1butch
01-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Clottey is way to slow and gets hit way to much to hang with Pac-man. He has a punchers chance and even then he's not a one punch power guy he has to wear you down. Fight gets stopped in 7th or 8th round.

2009mvp
01-11-2010, 03:42 PM
http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/01/11/manny-pacquiao-to-fight-joshua-clottey-at-144-catchweight/

Like Cotto, who was contracted to come in at a catch weight of 145 pounds, Clottey will be required to weigh-in at no more than 144 pounds -- "that's what the catchweight is for this fight," said Koncz.

I'll believe it when it comes from a more reliable source, especially when Roach has already said 147, but if it's proven true I'll have a lot to say...

H.E.R.
01-11-2010, 04:09 PM
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24599

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content6666.html

2009mvp
01-11-2010, 05:00 PM
^^
especially when Roach has already said 147

I know...

Just strange that a day later than both of those articles comes Koncz reportedly saying there's a catchweight. Like I said, I don't believe it until something official comes out, but it's not as if Koncz is some guy talking out of his *** from the outside looking in. He's probably simply mistaken though (at least I hope so)

2009mvp
01-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally, Koncz had said that there was a catchweight of 144 for Pacquiao-Clottey, but he has since corrected that. A catchweight could have been a huge advantage for Pacquiao.

Good. 144 would've just been wrong...

H.E.R.
01-11-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't know if you watched the last 24/7, but other than Pacquiao, no one really likes Koncz. The guy has almost no role. Hell, Pacquiao is stupid to have another guy in his already packed entourage, especially someone who his trainer and conditioning coach hates.

Ray_R
01-12-2010, 02:55 PM
I don't know if you watched the last 24/7, but other than Pacquiao, no one really likes Koncz. The guy has almost no role. Hell, Pacquiao is stupid to have another guy in his already packed entourage, especially someone who his trainer and conditioning coach hates.

LOl Yeas he said PAcMan would of still been as great as he is with out Roach :down:

xSolidx
01-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Clottey is a good fighter, very strong defensively, but doesnt do anything at all on offense.

I watched the Cotto-Clottey fight, I was rooting for Clottey because I always root against Cotto, and I had Cotto winning the fight by 1 point I believe. Clottey couldve won the fight if he was just more aggressive, but the man just wasnt.

I dont think Pacquiao is going to knock out, or even knock down Clottey, but I can see him winning the fight pretty easily by majority decision. Unless Clottey becomes more aggressive with his punching, I dont really see this as a very exciting fight.

ULT WARRIOR408
01-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Clottey is my boy & I'll be pulling for him to pull off the upset but realistically I expect Pacman to win this fight.With that being said I do believe that he stands a much better chance than Cotto ever did against Manny.Clottey is a typical tribal warrior that can go the distance with just about anyone plus he has only hit the mat like 2 or 3 times in his career & he just does not get ko'd.Clottey is durable & he'll make it interesting but at the end of the day Pacman will be victorious.

Btw it seems like most of you guys are judging him based on what you saw in his fight against Cotto.He is much better than his performance in that fight plus like yung n fly said that could've easily been Clottey's hand being raised in victory.

jetsforever
01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I hope Pacman kills him (not literally) and everyone realizes there is only one match left for him... and that is Mayweather

AddiX
01-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Clottey is to basic for Pac IMO. He just doesn't have the ability to be a serious threat although he will be tough. One thing I've noticed about him is that he looks for excuses to complain to the ref.