PDA

View Full Version : Role Players that Make their Team's Superstar....BETTER?

ko8e24
01-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I think in the history of the league, there are role players that don't get the recognition of actually making their team's superstar (THE GUY) better. We always talk about the League MVP being one of the top 5 players in the league, being "the most important to his team" and "making others better".

What are some role players (they could be 2nd main guy on the team) that make their team's Superstar better.

I would say that in the early 90s (Bulls first 3 championships), Scottie Pippen made Michael Jordan better. But in the late 90's (last 3 titles from 96-98), Ron Harper was that guy that made Jordan "better".

Kobe made Shaq "better" in those 3-peat yrs w/ Lakers.

Which role players make their team "better" in today's NBA?

I would say...

Lakers: Derek Fisher makes Kobe Bryant better

Suns: Steve Nash makes Amare Stoudemire better

Spurs: Tony Parker makes Tim Duncan better

Celtics: Kevin Garnett makes Paul Pierce better

Magic: Vince Carter makes Dwight Howard better. But last yr, I would say that Hedo Turkoglu (and his underrated passing) made Dwight Howard better in 08-09.

Mavericks: Jason Kidd makes Dirk Nowitzki better

Do you agree with some of these, and do you have some that you can come up with?

smuffins353
01-08-2010, 05:23 PM
shaq made kobe better while he was on the lakers.

Raph12
01-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Vince makes Dwight worse, Gasol makes Kobe better and Amare makes Nash better, not the other way around.

Aboogz89
01-08-2010, 05:34 PM
^^i agree gasol makes kobe better and amore makes nash better.....nash is the superstar of that team.

Shady66
01-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Vince makes Dwight worse, Gasol makes Kobe better and Amare makes Nash better, not the other way around.

Nash was just fine without stat the year he was injured

Chronz
01-08-2010, 06:10 PM
I would say...
Magic: Vince Carter makes Dwight Howard better. But last yr, I would say that Hedo Turkoglu (and his underrated passing) made Dwight Howard better in 08-09.
Do you agree with some of these, and do you have some that you can come up with?
Make what you will of them but by on/off court data, Kobe shoots a higher% from the field and scores more frequently when Fish is in the game, downside being hes slightly more turnover prone, gets to the line less, though I find these areas prone to random noise, fg% could be too but the fact that hes making and taking more is telling none the less. Same thing applies to Dirk and Kidd, Dirk is both more prolific and efficient when Kidd is sharing the court with him.

Stoudemire has always benefited from Nash, I think thats been well known if not overblown for some time now.

KG makes everyone better, but the most curious example is TP and Duncan. I dont have this years #'s but over the past 3 years they havent really had much of an effect on eachother, maybe its from continuity of having to face those obstacles consistently throughout their careers without eachother.

KnicksorBust
01-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't think "role player" is the description but I like the idea of the thread.

For my squad, David Lee makes Chris Duhon.

JordansBulls
01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
There is a difference to me between making someone better and taking pressure off of them.

TheWatcher34
01-08-2010, 06:17 PM
most of the guys u regard as role players are superstars themselves :confused:

mikantsass
01-08-2010, 06:20 PM
I would say...

The only one in the above list that is a role player is Fisher. The rest are all-star/super stars.

arkanian215
01-08-2010, 06:25 PM
I think in the history of the league, there are role players that don't get the recognition of actually making their team's superstar (THE GUY) better. We always talk about the League MVP being one of the top 5 players in the league, being "the most important to his team" and "making others better".

What are some role players (they could be 2nd main guy on the team) that make their team's Superstar better.

I would say that in the early 90s (Bulls first 3 championships), Scottie Pippen made Michael Jordan better. But in the late 90's (last 3 titles from 96-98), Ron Harper was that guy that made Jordan "better".

Kobe made Shaq "better" in those 3-peat yrs w/ Lakers.

Which role players make their team "better" in today's NBA?

I would say...

nash, tp, garnett, vc, kidd are role players? why dont you throw lebron on that list? he makes delonte west better.

B-Ray
01-08-2010, 06:26 PM
billups makes melo better

arkanian215
01-08-2010, 06:30 PM
billups makes melo better

would you say billups is a role player though?

slaker619
01-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Wade Make B-Easy Betta

Chanucy Make Melo Betta

Mayo Make Gay Betta

ko8e24
01-08-2010, 06:38 PM
when I say role player, not that i wrote in parenthesis that it can also be the 2nd best guy on the team. COmpared to THE GUY of that team, everyone else, including the 2nd best player on that team, becomes a role player when we are exclusively talking about the #1 scoring option (THE GUY)

red-momba
01-08-2010, 06:48 PM
rondo makes all the celtics better i hate the green team..but with out rondo there not a contender anymore

godolphins
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Pau Gasol

Wilson
01-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I really like the Derek Fisher/Kobe Bryant one, it's completely true. Since they were drafted Kobe and Fish have always practiced together on days off and in the off-season, they really push each other. Fisher has been big in Kobe's maturation as well I think, he's been a very calming presence on the team for Kobe since he came back.

rhaas74
01-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Here is one you might not think of. Z and Andy make LeBron better by their differences on the pick and roll. Andy can roll to the basket while Z can pop out and take a shot. They have become reliable enough to the point that teams can't always double LeBron off of the pick.

You could also go with Mo due to his ability to drive to the basket. Most times he is not looking to shoot, but it draws the defense in towards the basket. This gives time for LeBron to get lost in the shuffle and gives him either an open shot or a lane to the basket.

ko8e24
01-09-2010, 02:11 AM
Here is one you might not think of. Z and Andy make LeBron better by their differences on the pick and roll. Andy can roll to the basket while Z can pop out and take a shot. They have become reliable enough to the point that teams can't always double LeBron off of the pick.

You could also go with Mo due to his ability to drive to the basket. Most times he is not looking to shoot, but it draws the defense in towards the basket. This gives time for LeBron to get lost in the shuffle and gives him either an open shot or a lane to the basket.

This is actually a very good one. Good post :clap:

arkanian215
01-09-2010, 09:46 AM
when I say role player, not that i wrote in parenthesis that it can also be the 2nd best guy on the team. COmpared to THE GUY of that team, everyone else, including the 2nd best player on that team, becomes a role player when we are exclusively talking about the #1 scoring option (THE GUY)

so ain't the guy a role player as well? he's the primary scorer. sounds like a role.