PDA

View Full Version : Has the Magic's loaded rosters actually been holding Dwight Howard back offensively?

Raph12
01-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Before you respond, just take a couple of minutes to look this over:

As soon as Dwight was drafted he was playing behind Francis, Hill, Mobley and Turk
2004-05 Stats: 32.6mpg 12ppg 8.3fga 5fta 16.7usg%

Sophmore season, he played behind Francis, Nelson, Hill and Turk
2005-06 Stats: 36.8mpg 15.8ppg 10.7fga 7.3fta 21.3usg%

3rd season, behind Nelson and Turk
2006-07 Stats: 36.9mpg 17.6ppg 10.6fga 8.1fta 22.7usg%

4th season, behind Turk and Lewis
2007-08 Stats: 37.7mpg 20.7ppg 11.9fga 10.9fta 24.2usg%

5th season, behind Lewis, Turk and Nelson
2008-09 Stats: 35.7mpg 20.6ppg 12.4fga 10.7fta 26.1usg%

6th season, behind Carter, Lewis and Nelson
2009-10 Stats: 34.6mpg 16.8ppg 8.9fga 9.9fta 22.2usg%

Now as you can see, before this season, Dwight's numbers looked better and better as he got more and more involved into the team's offense. But if hed been drafted to a team with only a few offensive options, would he have been better offensively? He would have had a lot more time and a lot more touches to work on his game, hed be used to being doubled and tripled and would know how to handle that type of pressure. He would be able to be the go-to type guy in the post that his team would need him to be. Imagine if Dwight was drafted by Charlotte, Okafor took more shot attempts in his rookie season than Dwight ever has in any season throughout his career. Now if Dwight was the number one option on that team and able to work on his game without anyone limiting his shot attempts, don't you think he'd be more of a force today?

Has playing behind guys his whole career in Orlando, kept Dwight Howard back offensively?

mshan5
01-07-2010, 06:08 PM
There's no excuse for Dwight Howard's lack of offensive production. The talent on his teams doesn't prevent him from improving his post game, nor does it decrease his overall field goal percentage. In all honesty, Dwight Howard may be the game's most overrated player. Though he has the ability to change the pace of games with his shot blocking ability, because his timing is impeccable, he also has the ability to keep the ball in play and block it in the direction of a teammate (Think Wilt and Hakeem) but refuses to do so.

_Supreme_
01-07-2010, 06:12 PM
There's no excuse for Dwight Howard's lack of offensive production. The talent on his teams doesn't prevent him from improving his post game, nor does it decrease his overall field goal percentage. In all honesty, Dwight Howard may be the game's most overrated player. Though he has the ability to change the pace of games with his shot blocking ability, because his timing is impeccable, he also has the ability to keep the ball in play and block it in the direction of a teammate (Think Wilt and Hakeem) but refuses to do so.

Eh, yeah right.

AsiandudePH
01-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Based on those stats, Howard's number of touches and field goal lessened from the past seasons. That's the obvious answer right there. His minutes diminished as well--probably because of those ticky-tacky fouls he's been getting.

And then there are more offensively polished players on that team that would be given the green light to shoot first than Howard. How's his offensive rebounding? He usually scores on putbacks.

tr4shb0t
01-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Any team that is too strong gets held back to the level of their competition. A lone superstar on a mediocre team will be more effective than any single superstar that is on a team with more talent.

The Magic are really good this year and Dwight will get less calls and defenses will be allowed to be more aggressive with him. All this is to keep games and the regular season more interesting for the viewers. Nothing new for the NBA. But it is up to him to step up even if he isn't getting treated equally.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Yea.

The Magic seem to rely on their 3 point shooters a lot more so Howard can't get as much touches.

Jay_Dub
01-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Another factor is that Turk is a great passer ... he tossed an alleyoop or two a game ... and led Howard straight to the hoop. He only gets the ball on the block ... and let's face it ... he has no post moves.

lorenz00
01-07-2010, 08:19 PM
what a big difference hedo turkoglu makes on howards offesive game almost 4 points is takin out per game! cause no more superman alleyoop dunks from turkoglu!

smith&wesson
01-07-2010, 08:21 PM
he misses turks play making ability. turk is a point forward. basically at 610 point gaurd who distributes the ball and with his own ability to hit the three would cause double teams and a wide open look for howard. obviously howard doesnt have that asset this year, hence the production decrease.

Joshtd1
01-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I think his lack of post game is holding Dwight back offensively.

KG2TB
01-07-2010, 08:30 PM
I think his lack of post game is holding Dwight back offensively.

This.

Howard is fortunate to have all that offensive fire power on the roster because he's just not capable of leading a team offensively or even being a dependable scoring option. He doesn't have refined post moves and is not a great free throw shooter. The organization was smart to surround him with the fire power they did...because he needs it.

KnicksorBust
01-07-2010, 08:41 PM
He's shooting 61% from the field. Feed the horse baby. Unless Dwight can become someone they can throw the ball to in the clutch, the Magic can't win a title. Also he needs to learn to hit FTs. What does Pat Ewing do with him all day?

Chronz
01-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Its maddening that Vince hasnt played to his expectations because it probably has a trinkle effect on Dwight not getting those easy buckets but he shouldnt be struggling like he has. If hes getting less touches he should improve other facets of his game, but they do go to him in iso sets and he still sucks.

Okafor got alot of attempts early in his career but wasnt a truly effective player until he started looking for his own less. Im not saying that has to happen to Dwight but the only one holding him back is himself. He shouldve man handled the Raps yesterday but he appeared a step slow all night, hes been that way alot this year, and its led to his foul trouble. Cant produce if your not on the court, and when your an athlete like Dwight you need as much run as you can get to maintain your effectiveness.

Raph12
01-07-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm not asking why Dwight's numbers are lower this season, I'm asking if he would be better offensively if he was drafted by another team, with less offensive options, so that he could've worked on his offensive game more than he has.

If Dwight was drafted by Charlotte, and been their #1 option on offense for the last 6 years, would he have been better skillwise on offense? has having strong teammates hurt his offensive game throughout the years?

nipo10847
01-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Too many threads about dwight howard. You people are too worried/doubtful about him. He will be fine by the end of the season.

Chronz
01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
he misses turks play making ability. turk is a point forward. basically at 610 point gaurd who distributes the ball and with his own ability to hit the three would cause double teams and a wide open look for howard. obviously howard doesnt have that asset this year, hence the production decrease.
He is getting assisted less on inside attempts, and not getting as many shots off on the inside, his turnover rate has also skyrocketed due to the uptick in offensive fouls, the stats suggest hes being asked to do more on his own, yet getting less touches as a result. Its odd but probably indicative of his lack of skill set. Hes still shooting better than ever, but if he doesnt cut the turnovers he will never be a go to guy.

Chronz
01-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm not asking why Dwight's numbers are lower this season, I'm asking if he would be better offensively if he was drafted by another team, with less offensive options, so that he could've worked on his offensive game more than he has.

If Dwight was drafted by Charlotte, and been their #1 option on offense for the last 6 years, would he have been better skillwise on offense? has having strong teammates hurt his offensive game throughout the years?
I thought I answered that with the Okafor bit, but Ill expand. Scoring touch around the basket isnt something you learn IMO, you either have a soft touch or you dont. Guys like Al J or McHale were scoring at ridiculous rates in the low post since childhood.

Remember the Magic basically traded away all their main pieces so that Dwight would become more of a focal point, what hes produced has been what hes capable of, he wasnt really hampered, he got more of an opportunity than most HS kids get. Had he been on a team devoid of offensive talent its possible it could have sped up his development but the exact opposite could be true as well.

Do you have any basis for comparison, it does make for an interesting study. Has a gifted specimen ever exponentially improved his post game given time, if you know of one Id like to hear it.

Raph12
01-07-2010, 09:13 PM
I thought I answered that with the Okafor bit, but Ill expand. Scoring touch around the basket isnt something you learn IMO, you either have a soft touch or you dont. Guys like Al J or McHale were scoring at ridiculous rates in the low post since childhood.

Remember the Magic basically traded away all their main pieces so that Dwight would become more of a focal point, what hes produced has been what hes capable of, he wasnt really hampered, he got more of an opportunity than most HS kids get. Had he been on a team devoid of offensive talent its possible it could have sped up his development but the exact opposite could be true as well.

But hey if you can find a low post scorer that got immensely better with time Id like to see it.

Yeah don't worry Chronz, I saw your post after I wrote mine. Dwight's footwork looks better now and his touch around the rim seems improved. If you watch him play this season, you'd see that he seems to have that running hook and spinning hook down. Now if he had the room he needed to grow, in an environment not surrounded by scorers, I think the process would have helped speed up his development drastically.

Shaq's touch around the post got immensely better over time, don't you think?

albertc86
01-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Umm, no. Dwight is a phenomenal athlete but his offensive skillset leaves a lot to be desired. What are people expecting from him? 25 ppg? It's not gonna happen. All superstars don't have to be offensive forces and maybe he could break that stereotype. You cannot expect the guy to play the defensive and offensive end at a high level. While I think he is a superstar, because of his athletic abilities and persona, I think he's more of a player you build around than a "go-to" guy.

nbafan63
01-07-2010, 10:35 PM
The answer is simple. Vince Carter. This bone head chucker shoots 39% at 15+clip a game. He is what you call a team killer. He hogs the ball, don't play inside out. He likes to ISO and xover xover fade away a nasty looking 3 with a hand in his face. VC will take the Orlando down this yr. Bash me all you want. VC will not take the MAgics to the finals this year. I don't even think they will make it to the conference finals. VC will disappoint, no doubt.

Jamiecballer
01-08-2010, 04:23 PM
his lack of offensive skills holds him back offensively. the only team he has been on that was loaded with talent is this years. how quickly we forget that Orlando was considered a dog only a few years ago until Stan Van Gundy took over. he would be dominating offensively if he currently had the skills to do so.

KJ21.the.truth
01-08-2010, 06:17 PM
There is almost no argument that states otherwise. When everyone on your team is hoisting up wild threes all game long your touches as the center are going to drop significantly.

RadiantShot
01-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Even when Dwight Howard get's his touches, his offensive is too raw to get the ball in the damn basket.

dodie53
01-08-2010, 09:20 PM
DH should improve his post moves