PDA

View Full Version : Knicks deny Magic Johnson tickets to game following his criticism of Isiah Thomas

JordansBulls
01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Source: NYDN (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/01/06/2010-01-06_knicks_shunned_magic_act.html)

The Daily News has learned that Johnson's request for comp tickets to a Knicks game last month was rejected due in part to his criticism of Thomas, the team's former president and head coach, who remains close to Garden chairman James Dolan.

The Knicks would neither confirm nor deny that Johnson was told that they wouldn't provide him with a ticket to the team's Dec. 7 game against Portland.

A person close to the team says that when the Knicks didn't respond to Johnson's request immediately, the Hall of Famer later called the club to let it know that he had made other plans

A league source, however, contends that the club was reluctant to give Johnson a ticket because the Knicks were upset with the former Laker and didn't want to create a media firestorm at the Garden in the wake of his controversial comments relating to Thomas.

In the recently released book about Johnson and Larry Bird entitled "When the Game Was Ours," Magic reveals that he was partly responsible for keeping Thomas off the 1992 Olympic Dream Team. Johnson adds that he believes Thomas was responsible for spreading rumors about his sexuality when the Los Angeles great tested positive for HIV in 1991.

Johnson also claims that after he declined the chance to run the Knicks it was he who suggested that former Garden president Steve Mills hire Thomas. Recently, Johnson has said that he would never again recommend Thomas for an NBA coaching or front-office job.

Two months ago, Thomas was quoted by SI.com, saying that he was "really hurt" by Johnson's comments. He also told the Web site: "I really feel taken advantage of for all these years. I'm totally blind-sided by this. Every time that I've seen Magic, he has been friendly with me....I didn't know he felt this way."

GodsSon
01-06-2010, 05:14 PM
meh...Magic has enough money that he can put up his own cash if he wanted to catch a game

Cubs Win
01-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Wow Knicks :facepalm:

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Nice to see management is still loyal to Zeek even though most of the fans aren't.

SteveNash
01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Knicks have more class than Magic ever will.

IDB Josh M
01-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Knicks have more class than Magic ever will.

Come on! Magic gave Isaiah a kiss! That was shocking to his own teammates! If you're a guy, and you give another guy a kiss, you're allowed to criticize him all you want.

bkmikeyy
01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Wow Knicks :facepalm:

thats actually a pretty respectable thing to do, Magic trashed thomas in his book and even though thomas may have not had the best stay while he worked there its still nice that they stuck up for one of their own.

G-Funk
01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Why would he even want to go see a sorry *** team, probably was scouting

Mr.SmackYoMama
01-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Magic is a piece of CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Why would he even want to go see a sorry *** team, probably was scouting

Either that or he just wanted a good laugh!

JasonJohnHorn
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Well, as questionable as some of Magic's actions and statements are, I can't say any are worse than when Thomas had to be taken to the hospital for ODing on perscription drugs and then threw his daughter under the bus and said it was her.

Reversed86Curse
01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Stay classy NY! In all honesty, I'd find it insulting that someone with that much money was asking for a comp ticket anyways, receiving w/o asking is different. Must be pretty bad when the rich don't even want to buy tickets

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I don't see how Magics statements were criticised so much. Isiah dogged him out when he got the virus and spread rumors he was gay. After that MJ and the rest of the superstars basically looked at Isiah as a ******* and didn't want him on the dream team. That was pretty much common knowledge for years.

Now he could've approached Zeek with it 1st before he made the book but everyone knows they had a big fallout for years because of that. Even so Magic still recommended him for the Knick job so obviously he didn't hold a grudge.

GivenGrace
01-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Johnson also claims that after he declined the chance to run the Knicks it was he who suggested that former Garden president Steve Mills hire Thomas.

Maybe they're blaming Magic for what Isaiah did to the team :shrug:

smith&wesson
01-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Maybe they look at the lakers as a west coast rival and are jelouse of theyre success because they are the 2 biggest market teams in the leauge only ones great and the other ones really been terrible since the sprewell, allen houston days.

never the less this is 2010. and isiah has nothing to do with the players on the knicks team now. i dont see how or why the knicks are holding a grudge. either way they are sticking up for theyre guy and i dont think its for any of us to judge.

Kakaroach
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
meh...Magic has enough money that he can put up his own cash if he wanted to catch a game My thoughts as well. Why is he looking for game tickets when he has millions upon millions of dollars?

JasonJohnHorn
01-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Magic still recommended him for the Knick job so obviously he didn't hold a grudge.

Magic only did that because he knew Thomas would destroy the franchise and didn't want NY competing with the Lakers ;-)

JasonJohnHorn
01-06-2010, 08:32 PM
My thoughts as well. Why is he looking for game tickets when he has millions upon millions of dollars?

I imagine that when high-profile people (celebs, former players, ect...) want to attend a game, the hope to avoid mobs of fans and attention and hope to sit in the owners box or something like that. I doubt very much that is is a money issue.

knicks09
01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Either that or he just wanted a good laugh!

Yea a good laugh at a team that's 1 game out of the playoffs, ok

Ray_R
01-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Yea a good laugh at a team that's 1 game out of the playoffs, ok

there out in the East if you can make theplayoffs this year in the East it just sad.

Giaps
01-06-2010, 09:50 PM
You guys are clueless if you think the Knicks are wrong here.

JordansBulls
01-07-2010, 01:29 AM
He should have to pay because he isn't a Knicks fan.:D