PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Arenas Suspended Indefinitely

NYCkid12
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4802267

Sorry Wizard Fans

abe_froman
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
NEW YORK -- The NBA has suspended the Washington Wizards' Gilbert Arenas indefinitely.

"Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game," commissioner David Stern said in a statement Wednesday. "Accordingly, I am suspending Mr. Arenas indefinitely, without pay, effective immediately pending the completion of the investigation by the NBA."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Jetsguy
01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
saw this one coming.

SteveNash
01-06-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner.

Chacarron
01-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Does this mean Randy Foye is going to start as their PG?

Niro
01-06-2010, 05:07 PM
sucks 4 wizards but every1 knew that was coming

Jays Claw
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm surprised the NBA and David Stern didn't do this earlier.

Hellcrooner
01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
i can see it.

Wizards void his contract then trade jamison for ilgauskas and they get wade or lebron or bosh or stou.

Arenas goes to europe for the remainder of the season nd trys to failedly go back to the league next yeaar where nobody wants to take a chance on him

Fireworld
01-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Good, I hate Gilbert. I hope he shoots himself.

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Let me get this straight. He's suspending him for his "ongoing conduct" since the incident? So because he's not crying about it and kissing Sterns butt then he gets suspended indefinitely before his situation even plays out?

This is total bs, Stern has waaay too much power. Im sure the players union will appeal but guess who still has the final say?..... thats right STERN! BS!

fredv
01-06-2010, 05:18 PM
What about the other dude? He had a gun aswell right?

steveshane67
01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Let me get this straight. He's suspending him for his "ongoing conduct" since the incident? So because he's not crying about it and kissing Sterns butt then he gets suspended indefinitely before his situation even plays out?

This is total bs, Stern has waaay too much power. Im sure the players union will appeal but guess who still has the final say?..... thats right STERN! BS!

someone who can actually make an intelligent point about this whole situation:clap::clap::clap::clap:

pebloemer
01-06-2010, 05:22 PM
What about the other dude? He had a gun aswell right?

He stated he owned one. I haven't read anything that said he brought his to the arena.

levignjw
01-06-2010, 05:22 PM
^If I am not mistaken Arenas placed a gun in Crittenton's locker to try and set up some sort of "joke". Regardless, Gilbert is an overpaid moron.

IDB Josh M
01-06-2010, 05:23 PM

If we're dealing with drugs, or marijuana, or booze, then Stern is definitely being an asshat. I'm inclined to agree, but considering a firearm was involved, its alot more serious. A firearm, especially a handgun is not to be taken lightly by any circumstance. If you're getting into a fight with your fellow teammates over a gambling debt (a mere debt of $500 I'd like to point out) you got some problems. If you're pulling a gun on your teammate over $500, that's felony assault. The fact that he's trying to play it off as a joke is childish!

Albeit, Arena most likely did not draw the gun and point it at Crittenton. Using is serious business. This is beyond childish ... this is criminal behavior. While owning a gun is a right, its a right not to be taken lightly. It may be a tool, but its a tool that can do far more damage than a hammer could.

"As I have said before, I had kept the four unloaded handguns in my house in Virginia but then moved them over to my locker at the Verizon Center to keep them away from my young kids," the statement read. "I brought them without any ammunition into the District of Columbia, mistakenly believing that the recent change in the D.C. gun laws allowed a person to store unloaded guns in the District. On Monday, December 21st, I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate. Contrary to some press accounts, I never threatened or assaulted anyone with the guns and never pointed them at anyone. Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong. I should not have brought the guns to D.C. in the first place, and I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns -- even if unloaded."

SteveNash
01-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Does this mean Randy Foye is going to start as their PG?

Mike James.

lakerboy
01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Adios amigo!

Carey
01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
The NBA had to do this, would have lost alot of credibility otherwise

Chacarron
01-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Mike James.

How was I so dumb to forget about the one and only Mike James. :facepalm: to myself.

RocketsRule
01-06-2010, 05:26 PM
The NBA had to do this, would have lost alot of credibility otherwise

Exactly, when it comes to firearms you can't mess around. Can't really say I'm surprised at all with the suspension.

IDB Josh M
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM

NEW YORK -- The NBA has suspended the Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas indefinitely.

"Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game," commissioner David Stern said in a statement Wednesday. "Accordingly, I am suspending Mr. Arenas indefinitely, without pay, effective immediately pending the completion of the investigation by the NBA."

Every game Arenas ends up missing during the suspension will cost him $147,208.

The suspension comes after multiple media reports over the weekend said that a dispute over a gambling debt led to a conflict between Arenas and Javaris Crittenton.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that an argument commenced during a card game on the team's overnight flight back to Washington from Phoenix on Dec. 19 and escalated into a heated exchange between Arenas and Crittenton. The Wizards had Dec. 20 off, but sources say hostilities between the two Wizards guards resumed Dec. 21 in the locker room on a practice day.

Sources say that Arenas, in response to what was said on the flight, placed the three guns on a chair near Crittenton's locker stall and invited him to pick one before practice on Dec. 21. Sources said that Crittenton subsequently let Arenas know that he had his own gun.

The Washington Post reported in Sunday's editions that Arenas, according to sources, was expecting Crittenton to see the guns on his chair as a joke based on the earlier back-and-forth on the plane, during which Crittenton allegedly said that he would shoot Arenas in his surgically repaired knee. But Crittenton, according to Post, reacted angrily and tossed one of the guns to the floor, saying he had his own.

In his statement, Arenas confirmed that the guns were brought out at the Dec. 21 practice.

"As I have said before, I had kept the four unloaded handguns in my house in Virginia but then moved them over to my locker at the Verizon Center to keep them away from my young kids," the statement read. "I brought them without any ammunition into the District of Columbia, mistakenly believing that the recent change in the D.C. gun laws allowed a person to store unloaded guns in the District. On Monday, December 21st, I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate. Contrary to some press accounts, I never threatened or assaulted anyone with the guns and never pointed them at anyone. Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong. I should not have brought the guns to D.C. in the first place, and I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns -- even if unloaded."

Arenas met with law enforcement officials on Monday to explain why he had guns at the Verizon Center last month.

Arenas' lawyer issued a statement saying that the player met with federal prosecutors at the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and detectives of the Metropolitan Police Department for more than two hours.

At the NBA's request, the firearms language was bolstered during collective bargaining in 2005. Players are subject to discipline if they bring guns to the arena or practice facility, or even an offsite promotional appearance.

pebloemer
01-06-2010, 05:30 PM
If we're dealing with drugs, or marijuana, or booze, then Stern is definitely being an asshat. I'm inclined to agree, but considering a firearm was involved, its alot more serious. A firearm, especially a handgun is not to be taken lightly by any circumstance. If you're getting into a fight with your fellow teammates over a gambling debt (a mere debt of $500 I'd like to point out) you got some problems. If you're pulling a gun on your teammate over $500, that's felony assault. The fact that he's trying to play it off as a joke is childish!

Albeit, Arena most likely did not draw the gun and point it at Crittenton. Using is serious business. This is beyond childish ... this is criminal behavior. While owning a gun is a right, its a right not to be taken lightly. It may be a tool, but its a tool that can do far more damage than a hammer could.

Well said. Regarding any comparisons to Delonte West situation or Stephen Jackson, it should be noted that those happened in their personal lives. Gilbert brought the guns into NBA territory, directly violating the rule of the league. This has everything to do with the professional conduct expected by the business of the NBA. You do this in any workplace and you're fired. No questions asked.

JordansBulls
01-06-2010, 05:31 PM
They should kick out anyone in the league that has a visible tattoo as well.

IDB Josh M
01-06-2010, 05:34 PM

You sound like my Dad! *shudders*

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 05:35 PM

Thats not my point. If he was suspending for the guns thats understandable. According to Stern he's basically suspending him for his conduct since the incident i.e. joking around about it and not taking the situation seriously. That's BS. So basically if he had came out and made a big spectacle about how sorry he was and how terrible a mistake it was blah blah blah he wouldn't be getting suspended.

RocketsRule
01-06-2010, 05:36 PM

You do realize you would only have about 30 players in the league then.

lowdown32
01-06-2010, 05:36 PM
going on 3 years he has let wizards fans down

Cubs Win
01-06-2010, 05:37 PM

You do realize he was joking, right?

Sixerlover
01-06-2010, 05:40 PM

Green = Joke.

igPay atinLay
01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
He pointed a gun at a teammate in a locker room over a debt...he admitted to the league that he has repeatedly violated the leagues gun policy.

He should be banned from being involved in any capacity on a NBA team. And I hope he goes to jail for pointed a gun at his teammate.

Wiz kids
01-06-2010, 05:46 PM

Sorry Wizard Fans

LOL I wanted it to happen.

Now we save money, do a fire sell, and rebuild.

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
He pointed a gun at a teammate in a locker room over a debt...he admitted to the league that he has repeatedly violated the leagues gun policy.

He should be banned from being involved in any capacity on a NBA team. And I hope he goes to jail for pointed a gun at his teammate.

Um....no. Not what happened sir.

dev0
01-06-2010, 05:52 PM
(that means for the season)

Skins4Life
01-06-2010, 06:03 PM
I have been a big fan of gilbert ever since he came in the league, but after what he did last night in Philly, it was like he wanted to get suspended doing this:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0105/life_g_arenas01_576.jpg

This is my question: why poke the bear? (the bear being david stern)

Accodrding to David Stern:

"Strictly legal issues aside, Gilbert's recent behavior and statements, including his actions and statements last night in Philadelphia, are unacceptable."

I don't feel bad for gilbert at all.

daleja424
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
no surprises

I guess he is out at least this whole year...maybe longer

and the Wiz now have cause to void his contract IMO

x the game x
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
wow stern is a nazi,this is ****ing rediculous with all the players getting shot and killed,mcnair,darrent williams,sean taylor...the leagues should allow a player to carry legally registered protection.it was unloaded and who cares if he played a joke,its a legally owned firearm and he shouldnt be suspended

masalex1205
01-06-2010, 06:10 PM
this could be the best thing to ever happen to the Wizards if they can get out of Gilbert's contract

BkOriginalOne
01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I think that they shouldn't suspend him for the rest of the season, especially because it was unloaded.
They should however give the Wizard's to void his contract.

By Gilbert not playing, the league has to lose some money.

abe_froman
01-06-2010, 06:14 PM
By Gilbert not playing, the league has to lose some money.

how so?

thedfactor
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
The world will end now.

IDB Josh M
01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Thats not my point. If he was suspending for the guns thats understandable. According to Stern he's basically suspending him for his conduct since the incident i.e. joking around about it and not taking the situation seriously. That's BS. So basically if he had came out and made a big spectacle about how sorry he was and how terrible a mistake it was blah blah blah he wouldn't be getting suspended.

I see your point, but I disagree and think that Arenas joking about it and not taking it seriously is a big deal. (I also think he still would have been suspended even if he was apologetic and took it seriously.) But you do have a point, Stern should not have said "ongoing conduct." He should have just come right out and said ... "This is not the kind of behavior the NBA tolerates," or even admitting, "We are making an example of this idiot ... I mean Mr. Arenas."

Gators123
01-06-2010, 06:20 PM
wow stern is a nazi,this is ****ing rediculous with all the players getting shot and killed,mcnair,darrent williams,sean taylor...the leagues should allow a player to carry legally registered protection.it was unloaded and who cares if he played a joke,its a legally owned firearm and he shouldnt be suspended

You cant have guns outside of your home in DC.

RocketsRule
Green = Joke.

:laugh2:

I was wondering if he was serious or not..

IDB Josh M
I think that they shouldn't suspend him for the rest of the season, especially because it was unloaded.
They should however give the Wizard's to void his contract.

If someone points an unloaded gun at your face, that's still assault. You holding a gun in a bank, despite it being unloaded, is still attempted bank robbery. That's the kind of power a firearm has, it doesn't need to be loaded to have an impact.

Dee_Edge
01-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Good for Stern!

igPay atinLay
01-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Um....no. Not what happened sir.

Actually it is...it was reported a few days ago that he pulled out a gun on a teammate over a gambling debt..it was also mentioned on numerous websites and espn, but you probably don't think ESPN is credible for sports news.

Wiz kids
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Incorrect. Gilbert did not have a permit.

daleja424
01-06-2010, 06:25 PM
If someone points an unloaded gun at your face, that's still assault. You holding a gun in a bank, despite it being unloaded, is still attempted bank robbery. That's the kind of power a firearm has, it doesn't need to be loaded to have an impact.

word

rhymeratic
01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
We all know he should be suspended period. I don't care for the language/choice of words Stern has used but come on really Gilbert. No guns at work, it's the rule, end of story. Based on consequences of what it could do to another person and the overall image/marketing hit the league potentially took on it, no question he needed to be suspended indefinitely and then re-evaluated once legal process clears up. This dude could be going to jail for this.

Ultimately, no way a player should be playing with such a major issue hanging over his head, he will need all to focus on trying to work something out with government first before anything else. Stern is doing him a favor by suspending him!

TragicallyHip
01-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Good, I can't stand Gilbert Arenas, he's a tool.

ItsTheLastAce
01-06-2010, 06:28 PM
wow i didnt know that it was 3 guns, stupid move by gilbert.i agree stern could of said it differently, i hope the nba allows the wizards to void his contract if they choose to do so.

GspLAL
01-06-2010, 06:30 PM
A good point was brought up on Mike and Mike. To the hardcore NBA fan this might not seem like a huge deal that someone should get kicked out of the league for considering the gun was empty and what not, but how does it look to someone who knows nothing about the NBA? People will start with all the "Did you hear about that one NBA player who brought a gun into the stadium" and it will spread. If they don't put the hammer down it'll look bad for the NBA to the casual fans.

Also another thing to think about is if you brought a gun to your work place what do you think would happen?

Tymer
01-06-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm surprised they were so quick to suspend him and they havent done anything to Delonte West yet

smith&wesson
01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
i guess millions of dollars and a big ego doenst infact make you invisable.

Finally stern makes a right call.

GspLAL
01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm surprised they were so quick to suspend him and they havent done anything to Delonte West yet

Delonte West didn't bring the guns into the stadium from what I know.

igPay atinLay
01-06-2010, 06:37 PM

Delonte did not aim a gun at a teammate in the locker room nor did he admit to the league that he has repeatably violated the leagues gun policy...less urgency in the Delonte situation.

Once you aim a gun at someone you deserve to go to jail.

smith&wesson
01-06-2010, 06:38 PM

delonte didnt have a gun in the stadium, let a lone his locker room. if you owned a franchise and paid your players millions and millions of dollars would you want a ****** with a gun in there ?

at least delonte did what he did on his own time not in an nba facility or during the season.

MikeyBeingMikey
01-06-2010, 06:44 PM
This sucks though because tonight Arenas would have been playing against Shaq (the whole shaq fathering Gilberts kids thing?)

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Actually it is...it was reported a few days ago that he pulled out a gun on a teammate over a gambling debt..it was also mentioned on numerous websites and espn, but you probably don't think ESPN is credible for sports news.

Its a very credible source. Perhaps you should go to their website and read for yourself that he pulled out three unloaded guns, placed them on a chair, and asked him to pick one. Never aimed it at anyone.

igPay atinLay
01-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Its a very credible source. Perhaps you should go to their website and read for yourself that he pulled out three unloaded guns, placed them on a chair, and asked him to pick one. Never aimed it at anyone.

So to prove me wrong by saying that he pulled out a gun...you say I'm wrong because he pulled out 3...I'm sorry I got the quantity wrong.

I'm not arguing or responding to you anymore...because quite simply I'm right and you're trying to pick a fight.

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 06:58 PM
So to prove me wrong by saying that he pulled out a gun...you say I'm wrong because he pulled out 3...I'm sorry I got the quantity wrong.

I'm not arguing or responding to you anymore...because quite simply I'm right and you're trying to pick a fight.

Don't respond sir. You said he pointed a gun at a teammate and he didn't. Im not picking a fight, you just have your facts wrong.

NYK|NYY
01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Gilbert is an absolute moron if he thought his pregame/twitter antics would do anything to help the situation. Wizard fans should rejoice, they may have gotten out of a monster sized contract, for a player who is not worth the price tag.

what54!?
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
well that just may be his career

Kakaroach
01-06-2010, 07:27 PM
His career with the Wizards, and the rest of his career, is in jeopardy.

Wizards will be dancing if his contract gets nullified.

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 07:37 PM
I just hope there's some way he gets out of this mess. Hopefully they won't indict him but this is usually the part where some ******* District Attorney looking to make a name for himself goes a personal mission to "make an example" out of him.

theimortalone
01-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Thank god! The idiot deserves it!

AddiX
01-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I forgot that Washington changed there name from the Bullets. And now Arenas is joking about this and taking pictures with his hands shaped like guns, this dude is a complete moron.

Because of the way Arenas has shown no remorse for his actions and acting like hes untouchable, you best believe Stern is going to lay down the hammer on him and Sharpton is going to be there too.

Arenas has to be one of the dumbest Fu%&s alive.

nbafan63
01-06-2010, 07:44 PM

It's against the law to be in possession of a firearm or firearms(s) in this case outside of your home in D.C. Also, the guns which were in possession were not registered in D.C., which is also illegal. So basically Arenas admitted he was in possession of 4 unregistered firearms outside of his home in D.C. His argument is he did not know it was illegal to have firearms in DC because of recent gun law changes. But we all know, just because you didn't know doesn't mean anything. Whether he pointed the gun at anyone is another issue, but regardless, he has already broken the law.

Arenas has broken NBA policy by carrying firearms(s) into an NBA arena/NBA event which is enough for suspension. So Stern did not need to wait for the legal system of DC before suspending Arenas. Originally Stern wanted to wait it out to see what is the appropriate suspension (which depended on if Arenas was charged with possession or assault with deadly weapon or both). But Arenas is just such a moron that he needed to start a ballgame pointing hand signs (as guns), which probably pissed off a lot of local fans and management. Left Stern no choice but to suspend him now. His contract is most likely done as well the way I see it.

Kn1cks20
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
For everyone sticking up for Arenas (which is very few poeple), you people should think about the young kids that look up to these guys as role models, if you feel like owning a gun for your own protection than do so in a nice and quiet matter. I think he is done for the season and will have to do a lot in order to get back in to the NBA.

If M. Vick can get back into the NFL with Godell running the show there, I'm pretty sure Gilbert can back into the NBA with Stern in office.

ElMarroAfamado
01-06-2010, 08:00 PM
people trying to defend Gilbert Arenas are either 10 or really really ..........hmm not smart.

and i am a fan of his by the way.

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
I wonder if the Wizards are in any way culpable for allowing him to store firearms there in the first place. At some point they were aware that he had guns there.

bal_ravens
01-06-2010, 08:10 PM
^ They were aware he had the guns there in the first place. They told him it was fine to bring him to the locker room to store them there.

nbafan63
01-06-2010, 08:10 PM
The facts are out. Gilbert Arenas stored 4 unregistered firearms in D.C NBA Arena locker. Whether he pointed them at his teammate or not is a mute point now. DC law prohibits firearms to be brought outside of ones home, not to mention unregistered ones (hot). Each unregistered firearm can be charged up to 5 yrs in prison, Arenas had 4.

Now, I don't believe Arenas will serve 20 yrs in prison because he is rich and can afford good attorneys. But the fact that he admitted on National TV that he had 4 guns in his locker is enough to make an example out of him. Otherwise everyone will be carrying guns around and say, "hey, Arenas did it, and nothing happened to him."

Most likely short jail time + fine + community service? Now, if it is proven that he actually pointed the gun at Javaris and threaten him, then it could be even worse. That's assault with deadly weapon, but I don't think Arenas actually did that.

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 08:13 PM
misleading post. He has not been indicted. They're still going over the evidence.

nbafan63
01-06-2010, 08:13 PM
^ They were aware he had the guns there in the first place. They told him it was fine to bring him to the locker room to store them there.

Do you have a link that states this? If the management let him store guns there and then flip on him then they pretty much set him up. Which is pretty funny too in itself, you screw us, we screw u back.

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Do you have a link that states this? If the management let him store guns there and then flip on him then they pretty much set him up. Which is pretty funny too in itself, you screw us, we screw u back.

Check it out on hoopshype or espn. The story broke about a week before this incident came out. They ackowledged the guns were unloaded and they allowed him to store them at the Verizon center.

I would think that should merit some sort of fine by the league as well for management.

Toadman
01-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I wonder if the Wizards are in any way culpable for allowing him to store firearms there in the first place. At some point they were aware that he had guns there.

Are you saying he got permission to store his guns in his locker or are the Wizards supposed to inspect player's lockers on a regular basis?
Based on the reports the Wizards management weren't aware of the guns until after the fact. The other players may have been aware but no one was going to "snitch".

nbafan63
01-06-2010, 08:17 PM
misleading post. He has not been indicted. They're still going over the evidence.

Right, it takes time to collect evidence for trial. But he already admitted he had 4 firearms in his locker in DC, and they were unregistered. Right there that's already felony possession of illegal firearms. Whether they slap on assault with deadly weapon is the question.

nbafan63
01-06-2010, 08:19 PM
anyways, he going to jail that's for sure.

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Are you saying he got permission to store his guns in his locker or are the Wizards supposed to inspect player's lockers on a regular basis?
Based on the reports the Wizards management weren't aware of the guns until after the fact. The other players may have been aware but no one was going to "snitch".

This is from the Washington post last month

The NBA and the Wizards said Thursday that Arenas was being investigated by the league. In a statement, the team said that Arenas "stored firearms in a locked container in his locker, unloaded and without ammunition."

"The Wizards organization and Arenas promptly notified the local authorities and the NBA [and] are cooperating fully with law enforcement during its review of this matter," the team said. The Wizards issued the statement after the NBA probe was reported by CBSSports.com.
Arenas initially said that he took the guns to the arena after deciding that he no longer wanted them in his home after the birth of his third child. The girl, Hamiley Penny, was born Dec. 9.

In a text message Thursday, Arenas said he had already turned his guns over to police. A person familiar with the situation said that the weapons were registered and that Arenas gave them to team security officials last week.

edit-

heres the link

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/28/AR2009122802689.html

MiamiHeat
01-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Arenas is an idiot, he handled this whole situation the wrong way.

:facepalm:

RaiderLakersA's
01-06-2010, 08:33 PM
He had it coming...

AddiX
01-06-2010, 08:33 PM
If I brought Illegal guns to my job I would def get fired and most likely would have the authorities called on me.

Eventually I would need a lawyer and I would be told to keep my mouth shut.
Don't see why Arenas should be treated any differently.

I'm not famous or black so I wouldnt have to worry about dealing with Sharpton, but I sure as hell wouldnt be stupid enough want to be on his bad side.

Mane
01-06-2010, 08:37 PM
love being a wiz fan

junion
01-06-2010, 08:43 PM
suspended + *jail time + fine
*"jail time" not regular jail time, but more like "celebrity jail time"... 30 days - similar to J.R. Smith

suspended + fine is possible too.

but if there's a firearm, there has to be action - especially when he's trying to play it off as a joke. and this is even on the team that was the bullets, but had to change to the wizards because the bullets were too violent.

i think it's fair. if you bring a firearm anywhere that it's banned - especially at work - there will be consequences.

RadiantShot
01-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Good, Arenas is a great player, but I'm tired of his Gun-gasms.

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Whats not being asked is what player snitched about this in the first place? There were obviously only players there when he did his gun show. Wonder who told?

Maybe Mike James since Gilbert being out would be the only way in hell he gets to start!

jimm120
01-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I have been a big fan of gilbert ever since he came in the league, but after what he did last night in Philly, it was like he wanted to get suspended doing this:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0105/life_g_arenas01_576.jpg

This is my question: why poke the bear? (the bear being david stern)

Accodrding to David Stern:

I don't feel bad for gilbert at all.

Wait...what has he done since the incident? I know that he's said it was a joke the whole situation but aside for that, that's it.

AND, any link to him pointing his fingers like guns during that Philly/Washington game?

ALSO, to the person that said that the Wiz already knew he had them...Gilbert gave them the Guns LAST WEEK, AFTER the incident and before police/officials got a wiff of it.

IDB Josh M
01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
The facts are out. Gilbert Arenas stored 4 unregistered firearms in D.C NBA Arena locker. Whether he pointed them at his teammate or not is a mute point now. DC law prohibits firearms to be brought outside of ones home, not to mention unregistered ones (hot). Each unregistered firearm can be charged up to 5 yrs in prison, Arenas had 4.

Now, I don't believe Arenas will serve 20 yrs in prison because he is rich and can afford good attorneys. But the fact that he admitted on National TV that he had 4 guns in his locker is enough to make an example out of him. Otherwise everyone will be carrying guns around and say, "hey, Arenas did it, and nothing happened to him."

Most likely short jail time + fine + community service? Now, if it is proven that he actually pointed the gun at Javaris and threaten him, then it could be even worse. That's assault with deadly weapon, but I don't think Arenas actually did that.

The term is "moot" not "mute."

IDB Josh M
01-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Apprently Arenas, in his infinite wisdom, pointed two fingers like a gun and "shot" his teammates in a pre-game huddle.

_Supreme_
01-07-2010, 12:10 AM
The story as I have read and understood it:

Arenas and Crittenton were arguing on the plane about this supposed gambling debt Arenas owes Crittenton. Crittenton then JOKINGLY said he would shoot Arenas in his surgically repaired knee if he did not pay up.

So, keeping that in mind, Arenas then laid one or two of his UNLOADED guns in front of Crittenton's locker, AS A JOKE, where Crittenton apparently found them.

Reports about Crittenton's reaction to that differ.

Now, except for the fact that guns, even if they are not loaded, should obviously be kept away from team lockers etc, I do not think all of this is oh so horrible and warrants any suspension at the moment.

If ultimately the local or federal authorities conclude he should go to jail or should get whatever other punishment, then fine. Right now David Stern is once again behaving like the pathetic giant arse that he is.

x the game x
01-07-2010, 12:26 AM

so your saying you cant legally transport unloaded fire arms through dc?so if i wanted to go hunting in say north carolina i have to drive around dc?

DenButsu
01-07-2010, 12:30 AM
It was reported (http://www.fwweekly.com/index.php?option=com_wordpress&p=2648&Itemid=482) that one of his guns was this ridiculous thing (http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI5MDEzMTQ4.html).

-----------------------------

I just skimmed through the thread and didn't see these details posted (although the link was a couple times). I find Crittenton's actions to be much more alarming (bad as Arenas' were):

The dispute between Arenas and Crittenton began on the team plane during a popular card game between players called "Boo-ray." Crittenton lost roughly $1,100 to JaVale McGee, a Wizards center, in the game, according to a player who watched the game and who also spoke on condition of anonymity. Crittenton, already angry over a dispute over the game's rules, became irate when Arenas began needling him.

Their barbs escalated to a point where Arenas, smiling, said he would blow up Crittenton's car, according to two players on the flight, who requested anonymity. Crittenton replied that he would shoot Arenas in his surgically repaired knee.

Walking into the locker room two days after the dispute on the team plane, according to two witnesses, Arenas laid out the guns in Crittenton's locker. Two other teammates eventually sauntered in and, while Arenas was writing the note in front of Crittenton's cubicle, in walked Crittenton, according to their account.

Asking Arenas what he was doing, Arenas replied, "If you want to shoot me, I'd just thought I'd make it easy for you." As other teammates laughed, Crittenton crumpled up the paper, tossed one of Arenas's guns across the room, where it bounced in front of a team trainer, and said he didn't need any of Arenas' firearms because he had his own, according to the witness accounts.

Crittenton then drew his weapon, loaded the clip into the chamber and cocked the bar, the witnesses said.

Neither witness said the gun was ever pointed at Arenas, but both said Crittenton began singing as he held the gun.

Arenas began laughing, the witnesses said, telling Crittenton, "Look at that little shiny gun," as two other players slowly retreated to the training room.

Arenas eventually followed. By the time the players came back out, Crittenton was gone. washington post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010605167_3.html)

------------------

And on the subject of Gilbert's teammates:

[T]he Washington Wizards guard was photographed before a game in Philadelphia pointing his index fingers, as if they were guns, at his teammates...

One source with knowledge of the Wizards' thinking said that Arenas' teammates who participated in the pre-game gun simulation against Philadelphia have been told they will be fined.

Two sources said the fines were expected to be in the $20,000-$25,000 range.espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4802267)

Spurred1
01-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Stunning lack of intelligence and sense all around for Arenas, Crittenton, and the teammates who goofed off in the gun simulation bit prior to the Philly game. Is Arenas really that unaware?

Luke_K77bear
01-07-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm Glad He Didn't Pick the Warriors! Thats 3 wasted years for how much money?! He Should Get His Contract Voided

kidfury
01-07-2010, 01:17 AM
just because the gun was unloaded does not make it any less serious.

If you point a black plastic toy gun at a cop, you're gonna get shot.

Arenas' goal in his 'joke' was to scare the crap out of his team mate. Now if someone were to point a gun at me and a few seconds later say haha it's unloaded, after changing my underwear, I'd be severely ticked off. He basically threatened a co-worker's life in the workplace. Only in the world of sports can he possibly hope to keep his job.

ohreally
01-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Arenas is a jack***, and probably will serve time.

But guns are a fact of life in our society and many of our states allow registered guns to be carried into bars, which to me is just insane. I've seen someone on TV within the last six months or so saying that passengers should be allowed to carry guns on airplanes and people should be able to carry guns into presidential appearance venues; it is our right as citizens.

Of course I assume that that means "responsible" gun owners, since we would always know who they are, right? We never can tell when the government is going to come and get us, so we should also be allowed to have our own personal stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction -- it could do wonders for our economy as well.

Maybe Gilbert thought it was just a matter of time before team officials came after his ***; guy's got to be able to defend himself against things like that.

bogdanrom
01-07-2010, 02:03 AM
First all of you are falsely accusing both Arenas and Crittenton of things that have neither been actually said by both or been proven. Let's wait and see what the investigators find out. Second I have no problem with Arenas being suspended for his actions (bringing guns, unloaded or not, into a NBA facility) but not for his actions after. Just because he did not lie and he told the truth about how he feels about the situation he gets suspended? Thirdly, I think that the NBA and David Stern have been very weird about dealing with these types of situations. J.R. Smith got suspended for 7 days for pleading guilty to vehicular MANSLAUGHTER. He killed a man, and he only got suspended for 7 days. Arenas will probably get suspended for a longer time that.
In the end I feel sorry for Arenas for the way things ended up, especially announcing the news on his birthday (seriously the worst time they could have done it way earlier or wait it like one more day). But as a Wizards fan this might end up as good news since we could and we should void his contract.

DenButsu
01-07-2010, 02:15 AM
Someone telling others to get their facts straight should have his straight as well.

J.R. Smith got suspended for 7 days for pleading guilty to vehicular MANSLAUGHTER

Reckless driving, not vehicular manslaughter.

Tony_Starks
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
It was reported (http://www.fwweekly.com/index.php?option=com_wordpress&p=2648&Itemid=482) that one of his guns was this ridiculous thing (http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI5MDEzMTQ4.html).

-----------------------------

I just skimmed through the thread and didn't see these details posted (although the link was a couple times). I find Crittenton's actions to be much more alarming (bad as Arenas' were):
washington post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010605167_3.html)

------------------

And on the subject of Gilbert's teammates:

espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4802267)

Props on posting that. Most people on here are content to condemn w/o knowing the details.

After reading that EYE WITNESS PLAYER ACCOUNT its Critt who should be the one getting villified and suspended indefinitely. What Arenas did was stupid but what Critt did was beyond ridiculous. Throwing guns? Pulling out a gun and chambering it? WOW.

It was also interesting that they said Gilbert didn't tell on Critt and told him that he would take full responsibility for it to protect him.

RapsGuy23
01-07-2010, 03:14 PM
What an idiot. I just don't this guy. What a waste...

Wiz kids
01-07-2010, 03:27 PM
What happened to Delonte West? He had loaded guns, granted not in an NBA arena, but nevertheless it was illegal where he was. I hope the NBA doesn't set a double standard and acts on him too.

*I'm not endorsing what Gilbert did, actually I'm glad he got suspended indefinitely fyi.

abe_froman
01-07-2010, 04:28 PM
What happened to Delonte West? He had loaded guns, granted not in an NBA arena, but nevertheless it was illegal where he was. I hope the NBA doesn't set a double standard and acts on him too.

*I'm not endorsing what Gilbert did, actually I'm glad he got suspended indefinitely fyi.

because of what you just said,west didnt have one on nba property.

think of it like this,your boss cant fire you for what you do on your own time but they can when your bring it to your work

nstojic
01-07-2010, 07:50 PM
The Xmas Eve gun standoff between Gilbert Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton may have been caught on tape by surveillance cameras, law enforcement sources tell TMZ.

We're told the Washington Wizards have told D.C. cops they have locker room surveillance video but are having trouble downloading it. The Geek Squad -- aka computer-savvy detectives -- are going to the Wizards organization today to help.

And get this -- a source connected with the investigation tells TMZ the Wizards have been "over cooperative" with cops -- as the source says, "almost as if they want Arenas to go down."
The source says "there is a better than 50/50 chance the U.S. Attorney will issue a felony arrest warrant against Arenas."

As for what caused the confrontation that allegedly triggered a gun standoff -- law enforcement tells TMZ it was all over a card game known as Bourré

http://www.tmz.com/

Wiz kids
01-07-2010, 07:50 PM
because of what you just said,west didnt have one on nba property.

think of it like this,your boss cant fire you for what you do on your own time but they can when your bring it to your work

Yeah, but he got indicted with charges. IMO Gilbert would not have gotten suspended immediately if he didn't act like a dumbass, they would of let the legal proceedings work its way out like they will do with Delonte West.

Kakaroach
01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Yeah, but he got indicted with charges. IMO Gilbert would not have gotten suspended immediately if he didn't act like a dumbass, they would of let the legal proceedings work its way out like they will do with Delonte West. Yeah but Delonte still didn't have a gun in the locker room and at work. Gilbert did. He would have gotten suspended either way, but the way he went about it might have screwed him in the end.

To answer the question, maybe this does happen, but it would be really difficult to do.

JayW_1023
01-07-2010, 08:18 PM
All things aside...it wouldn't suprise me if Washington starts racking W's more frequently in Gils absence.

DenButsu
01-07-2010, 09:07 PM
http://www.tmz.com/

While there's no doubt the Wiz want Gil's contract off their payroll, I don't doubt their sincerity in cooperating with the cops. This is, after all, the team that (ironically enough) changed their name from the Bullets to the Wizards in order to clean up their image and disassociate themselves from the perception of a high crime rate in D.C. and quasi-criminality in the NBA. There's that, and then there's also the safety of their players, coaching and training staff, arena staff, and fans to take into consideration.

If we think we have a "zero tolerance policy" here at PSD, I'd guess it's nothing compared to the policies that the NBA and its teams are getting set to impose on arenas and locker rooms.

nstojic
01-08-2010, 08:39 AM
If we think we have a "zero tolerance policy" here at PSD, I'd guess it's nothing compared to the policies that the NBA and its teams are getting set to impose on arenas and locker rooms.

stern is operating on an agent-"zero tolerance policy"... i'm glad...

pebloemer
01-08-2010, 09:34 AM
stern is operating on an agent-"zero tolerance policy"... i'm glad...

Clever ;).

Tony_Starks
01-08-2010, 01:33 PM
I just read that under DC law that the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor for what he did depends on the extent that he aimed at a person or not. Basically if you point on a gun at someone and threaten them thats felony assalt with a deadly weapon.

That being said if the facts are true it looks like he's probably looking at misdemeanor possession, if they choose to indict.

Doesn't really matter to the Wizards though, as Im certain he'll never wear a Wizards uni again. But it might be the difference between a season long suspension or a 30+ suspension from Stern.

edit-

my bad, 30+ is just about season long at this point. He's screwed.

nstojic
01-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Law enforcement sources tell TMZ the other Washington Wizards player involved in the incident, Javaris Crittenton, is also facing the possibility of gun charges after witnesses claimed he threw a gun into a locker room laundry basket in an attempt to hide the firearm from team authorities.

We're told, according to witnesses, the whole thing started after Arenas displayed four guns on the bench in front of his locker. Witnesses told authorities Crittenton said, "I have my own gun" -- went to his locker and pulled it out.

Soon after, we're told, witnesses say Wizards officials began to enter the locker room -- and Crittenton tossed his weapon into a laundry bin, which was wheeled out of the locker room before anyone knew what was going on.

Authorities are still looking for Crittenton's gun -- and we're told they're also re-examining surveillance footage, looking for anyone wheeling out the bin.

http://www.tmz.com/page/2/

nstojic
01-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Three Washington Wizards players -- including captain Antawn Jamison -- will testify today before a grand jury in the Gilbert Arenas/Javaris Crittenton gun case, law enforcement sources tell TMZ.

Our sources tell us Arenas has already been called in by the U.S. Attorney but he made it clear he would not testify on grounds of self-incrimination. We're also told Crittenton has lawyered up and took the same position as Arenas.

We're also told head coach Flip Saunders came to the grand jury last week. We don't know if he actually testified in front of the grand jury or just spoke with the U.S. Attorney.

Both players could be indicted on felony gun charges.

http://www.tmz.com

Tom81
01-11-2010, 01:54 PM
good

nstojic
01-12-2010, 12:18 PM
The Washington Wizards have told locker room pistolero Gilbert Arenas they believe he is in violation of his contract and they have the right to void the $111 million deal ... sources tell TMZ.

We're told a team official was trading text messages with Arenas after the locker room incident. Sources tell TMZ ... in one of the messages, the official told Arenas the team felt Agent Zero violated the clause in his contract prohibiting him from engaging in conduct detrimental to the team or the NBA ... and they could have the contract voided as a result.

Most NBA contracts contain morality clauses -- but it's difficult to void an NBA contract on those grounds. The Indiana Pacers didn't void Ron Artest's contract after "The Malice at the Palace" in 2004.

Nevertheless, there are strong indications the Wizards want out of the Arenas deal. As one law enforcement source put it, the team has been overly cooperative in the police investigation that targets Arenas.

www.tmz.com