PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Arenas may get harsh punishment.

JMKnick33
01-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I was just watching NBATV and they were discussing the Gilbert Arenas incident. Supposedly, Arenas laid out some guns (unloaded) on a table and told Javaris Crittenton to choose one. Javaris picked one up and threw it on the floor, or something like that. Arenas meant to play a joke and said he never threatened anybody with the guns, or pointed them at anyone. Anyway, the NBA is deciding on how to punish Gilbert Arenas and there is word David Stern may suspend him for the rest of the season. On NBATV, Chris Webber and Kevin McHale said David Stern should definitely do it and suspend him for the rest of the season.

Which punishment would you give Gilbert Arenas for his gun possessions in a public facility?

Cubs Win
01-05-2010, 11:27 PM
I think he should be suspended for the rest of the season and receive a hefty fine. Think about if anyone in a normal, everyday job brought guns to work and this happened. They'd be fired and perhaps have to deal with legal complications as well.

B.JenningsMVP
01-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Suspension for 10-15 games + fine

Jays Claw
01-05-2010, 11:42 PM
He should be suspended for the rest of the season.

In my opinion, he should also be given a hefty fine.

joe j.09
01-05-2010, 11:45 PM
gone 4 season, no questions asked, if stern doesnt rule this way something is seriously wrong....

kblo247
01-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Suspended for the year and give the Wiz the option to void his deal

What he did was worse than what Artest/Telfair did

He had the guns where he knew he shouldn't, he put his teammates lives in danger, he made the Wizards franchise look poorly after investing and sticking by him after every injury, and then he joked about it.

He needs to be made an example of.

thapharcyd
01-05-2010, 11:50 PM
I think it would be suspension rest of season without pay or something

BALLER R
01-05-2010, 11:53 PM
gone for the season...and $500,000 fine

Jays Claw
01-05-2010, 11:53 PM
The NBA would look like pushovers if they don't suspend him for the entire season. :pity:

_KB24_
01-06-2010, 12:03 AM
The guns were unloaded. This is no way on the same level as what happened it Detroit. I say a 10-15 game suspension is right. The rest of the season sounds a little too much for me.

arkanian215
01-06-2010, 12:04 AM
I was just watching NBATV and they were discussing the Gilbert Arenas incident. Supposedly, Arenas laid out some guns (unloaded) on a table and told Javaris Crittenton to choose one. Javaris picked one up and threw it on the floor, or something like that. Arenas meant to play a joke and said he never threatened anybody with the guns, or pointed them at anyone. Anyway, the NBA is deciding on how to punish Gilbert Arenas and there is word David Stern may suspend him for the rest of the season. On NBATV, Chris Webber and Kevin McHale said David Stern should definitely do it and suspend him for the rest of the season.

Which punishment would you give Gilbert Arenas for his gun possessions in a public facility?

noooo.... i need those fantasy points!

asian_sensation
01-06-2010, 12:23 AM
wow seriously? i have to agree with all those who said rest of the season. there is no excuse to be bringing guns into the locker room unloaded or not. that is poor judgment and a serious violation of the code of conduct. how can anyone think 10-15 games is all he deserves? this is something serious. 13 of 17 people in the voting concur.

phoenix_bladen
01-06-2010, 12:30 AM
bringing a gun into workplace and asking someone to choose a gun that should be enough to get you fired and into some seriously **** at work

should be gone for the season at the very least.

JJ_JKidd
01-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Suspend for the rest of the season and a huge fine. Maybe half his salary. So that NBA thugs wont do what he did.

Trouble87
01-06-2010, 04:53 AM
suspension for the rest of the season, huge fine, and I hope the Wizards void his contract

I can't believe someone who got a big deal like that is runnin around acting so reckless

$KnicksAndKobe$
01-06-2010, 04:59 AM
Expelled from the NBA and transferred to the WNBA organizations as the towel boy.

todu82
01-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Option 1.

terp12354
01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
the only problem is like the Stephen Jackson incident 1.5 years ago, were he actually accidently shot and wounded a guy, and was only suspended 5 games or something. If Arenas is suspended more than that the players association will be up in arms with lawsuits against the NBA in half a second

meltbakins
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
he has to remember that he aint in the hood anymore kick his #$% out of the league for ever

pebloemer
01-06-2010, 11:57 AM
This quote is very telling: "I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns."

Really Gilbert? How old are you (27)? Just figuring this out now?

:facepalm:

thephoenixson28
01-06-2010, 12:00 PM
He should be suspended 10 games and $500,000 fine. All he had was a unloaded gun with no ammunition with him. What was he going to do pistol whip someone.

But I see stern voiding his contract,and suspending him the rest of the season, just cuz the simple fact that dumbass devin harris told reporters at least 75% of nba players have weapons. So he is going to send a message to the NBA.

king4day
01-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Didn't Crittenton also pull out a gun?
Why are we not talking about him too in that case? He's gonna get it just as bad.

I can see Arenas getting suspended for the year. He'd lose about 9mil from his contract.

The Ooh Child
01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't see the issue here. Pulling a gun on someone is a funny joke.

pebloemer
01-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Didn't Crittenton also pull out a gun?
Why are we not talking about him too in that case? He's gonna get it just as bad.

I can see Arenas getting suspended for the year. He'd lose about 9mil from his contract.

I'm under the impression from the quotes and articles that all the guns were Gilbert's and he brought them in. Sounds like Crittention just got pissed off about it. and chucked the guns across the room.

Cool007
01-06-2010, 12:31 PM
First of all, why do they even allow him to play? Why was he playing last night???

He should be suspended for the remainder of the season with no pay + hefty fine.

There is no around it. Anything less and it doesn't send any message to anyone. Not to mention the bad rep NBA will get/has gotten.

Badluck33
01-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Crittenton should have just shot him. that would have been great/awesome punishment.

daleja424
01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
suspension for the rest of the year w/o pay

Id assume that the Wiz would void his contract at that point

bal_ravens
01-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Cliff Robinson beat up a female officer, Melo was caught with weed twice, Chris Webber assaulted two cops and had weed in his car. Allen Iverson assaulted his wife and pretty much hunted her down with his guns. Kobe "allegedly" raped a woman.

Most of those are pretty much more serious then keeping unloaded guns in a safe.

Plus, Crittenton had his own gun. So that is atleast 5 guns in the lockerroom.

Badluck33
01-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Gilbert Arenas brang gun(s) to the arena. I'm sure if they were in a safe and unloaded that this thread wouldn't even be open....

bal_ravens
01-06-2010, 12:52 PM
^ They were in a safe in his locker and unloaded. He took them out, but they were still unloaded.

pebloemer
01-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Gilbert Arenas brang gun(s) to the arena. I'm sure if they were in a safe and unloaded that this thread wouldn't even be open....

You are missing the fact that gun laws are very strict in Washington (I'm pretty sure Gilbert didn't have a license for them either) and bringing guns (whether unloaded or not, in a safe or not) on league property is prohibited and treated with 0 tolerance under the rules and regulations of the NBA.

SluggeR
01-06-2010, 01:02 PM
If the wiz void his contract, Walsh need to holler at him. It's amzing how folks want him out for the year, but Delonte West was riding around like Desperado. It's getting so much buzz cause of who he is and how much money he makes. The more public figures that jump on this story is only throwing leaves on the fire.

AddiX
01-06-2010, 01:05 PM
I have lost all respect for Gilbert after the way he has handled this, he still acts as if its no big deal and he is somehow a victim.

He acts as if the money hes being paid, being the face of an organization, and at one time considered a top player in the league, means that he doesnt have to man up to his mistakes.

As much as I love the NBA, there sure is a lot of players in this league who act like little kids.

boms-4
01-06-2010, 01:09 PM
suspend him for season

PlezPlayDKnicks
01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
10 - 15 games and a fine and communtiy service... Lets be serious... Were people talking suspension in Kobe's rape case. Or kidd beating his wife. Or stephen jackson actually firing a gun in public. Not every1 (but some people just want to see successful people suffer because they feel that rich people get away with things that they cannot. Guess what. Life isnt fair. The guy made a mistake and if you made a mistake you wouldnt want to the punishment to be harsh either. Just because the average joe cant get away with it, people shouldnt wish for him to lose what he worked hard to get over 1 extremely STUPID mistake.

29$JerZ
01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
10-15 games or maybe 1 month is likely what Gilbert will get suspended for plus a hefty fine and probable community service.

What helps Gilbert is the guns were unloaded, so even though bringing guns in a public place is by far the most reckless and most dumbest thing for a person to do the fact it was unloaded means he'll likely not get a season suspension.

thephoenixson28
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
If the wiz void his contract, Walsh need to holler at him. It's amzing how folks want him out for the year, but Delonte West was riding around like Desperado. It's getting so much buzz cause of who he is and how much money he makes. The more public figures that jump on this story is only throwing leaves on the fire. I laughed at the desperado joke

pebloemer
01-06-2010, 01:55 PM
10 - 15 games and a fine and communtiy service... Lets be serious... Were people talking suspension in Kobe's rape case. Or kidd beating his wife. Or stephen jackson actually firing a gun in public. Not every1 (but some people just want to see successful people suffer because they feel that rich people get away with things that they cannot. Guess what. Life isnt fair. The guy made a mistake and if you made a mistake you wouldnt want to the punishment to be harsh either. Just because the average joe cant get away with it, people shouldnt wish for him to lose what he worked hard to get over 1 extremely STUPID mistake.

I agree.

10-15 games with a fine is certainly significant enough too.

Between the suspension, the option for the team to void his contract (which could happen eithder way), the public scrutiny, dealing with the legal system, etc - the message will certainly be sent to the players.

15 games would be a significant portion of his pay for the year too, added with the fine, and possibility for his team to void his contract and Gilbert has losses all over the situation (as he should).

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 04:16 PM
I agree with 10-15 games. People are going waaaay overbaord with this rest of the season/ rest of his career stuff. In my opinion Stephen Jacksons situation was way more dangerous and he received less time.

wileyisTOFU
01-06-2010, 07:11 PM
lucky break for the wiz if they can void that ****** contract

nbafan63
01-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Arenas should be banned from the NBA. The guy is just a douche. Rip up his contract and send him to Euro league.

BoSelecta!!!
01-07-2010, 09:56 AM
really GA? you thought that was a funny joke? when are you ever gonna grow up???

love little earl, but hes a solid bench player and no more.

R.A.J.
01-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Agent 0, biggest ****** ever, next Dude's gonna make a 100 Mill and still thinks he Gangsta. He should join the wannabe thugs club!!

pebloemer
01-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Gilbert Thoughts:

Gilbert claims that he took the guns out of his house because he didn't want them to be around his kids. He has 3 kids? How long has he been a father and had guns around his kids, but only now he decides it isn't right to have them around his kids? I wonder if something happened at home to spark this.

Reports are saying he has 4 guns in his locker. Many NBA players have stated the need for guns for protection. I'm not going to get into a long argument about whether or not guns make human beings any safer, but how would 4 guns make him any safer than 1?

Gilbert claims he now realizes that "there is no joking around when it comes to guns." a) he is 28, (b) he has 3 kids, (c) he claims to show the insight that guns around his kids is a bad idea.

He claims it was a joke, but reports state there was a "heated argument" in the locker room.

I understand that media sources report what they here and some reports could be wrong, but some of this stuff doesn't add up in his own testimony. He knows guns shouldn't be around kids, but thinks it is alright to joke around with them when going through a heated argument with a teammate?

I am curious about the results of the investigation. I guess I can't read into it too much, Gilbert Arenas has always been one to speak before he thinks, so I shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't all add up.

Jamiecballer
01-07-2010, 02:29 PM
ban him. he's too stupid to even understand the trouble he's in. let him live off his millions until they run out and then get a job at 7-11, where bringing a gun to work is probably advisable.

Jamiecballer
01-07-2010, 02:37 PM

There is a big difference between committing criminal or really irresponsible acts at work vs outside of work. When you do it at your place of work your employer has every right to tell you to **** off and never come back.

Tony_Starks
01-07-2010, 03:24 PM
FYI the only way they could automatically void his contract is if he were to get convicted of a felony for this, which isn't likely.

Now there is a clause in standard player contracts that you can void over acts of "moral turpitude." The problem with that is thats a big grey area and there's no real definition of what that entails. It goes to an arbitrater, not Stern.

They tried this tactic twice with Latrell Sprewell and Ron Artest and failed both times. The word going around is that if they couldn't void those contracts where these guys actually hurt people it'd be nearly impossible to void Gilberts.