PDA

View Full Version : Next Guard to win DPOY

BkOriginalOne
01-05-2010, 01:27 PM
The last guard to do so was Gary Payton (the only to do so in the 90s).
Before him it was Jordan.

What guard do you think has a chance at winning the award?

I think Chris Paul has a chance in weaker competition, considering he usually makes first team (providing he ever averages 3 plus steals).

But more realistically, I think that Rajon Rondo has a shot, especially because he is still young.
Tyreke Evans also might have a chance in later years because of his size and ability to guard multiple positions.

Who gets your vote?

LA_Raiders
01-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Kobe this year...

ManRam
01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Kobe this year...

Didn't see that response coming when I saw LA_Radiers had responded to this thread ;)

Kobe wont win it this year. I am 150% sure of that.

Paul is a good bet...but I don't see a guard winning it any time soon.

G-Funk
01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Kobe will never win it

dev0
01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
i really like the call on Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo or Tyreke Evans. just to throw one more in there: Rodney Stuckey?

Hellcrooner
01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Rondo is the save bet right now.

Rubio may have a chance if his defensive game translates well into the Nba.

that is among PG.

I can see lebron winning it playing SG for the knicks ( gallinari and chandler will be the ones playing sf)

Alwaysballin247
01-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Chris paul gets tons of steals but can't always keep his man infront of him....i think maybe ellis(better off the ball) and rondo(on the ball)

DerekRE_3
01-05-2010, 02:22 PM

I think Chris Paul has a chance in weaker competition, considering he usually makes first team (providing he ever averages 3 plus steals).

But more realistically, I think that Rajon Rondo has a shot, especially because he is still young.
Tyreke Evans also might have a chance in later years because of his size and ability to guard multiple positions.

Who gets your vote?

Good to see Tyreke get mentioned. He's already pretty good as a rookie, and like you said, his versatility should bode well for the future. His length and strength should cause a lot of guys problems on both ends for years to come. What I like most about him is his ability to guard guys in the post.

JordansBulls
01-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Battier could. I'm not sure if he really is the SG or SF for Houston though.

Cano23
01-05-2010, 02:34 PM
John Wall as a Rookie. ;)

BkOriginalOne
01-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Battier plays the 3, I believe

cRaTeR
01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Toney Douglas

Cubs Win
01-05-2010, 03:03 PM
If you consider LeBron as a guard, then its possible. I think that he was 2nd in DPOY voting last year.

RocketsRule
01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Battier could. I'm not sure if he really is the SG or SF for Houston though.

Exactly what I was thinking. Depending on what position you think he is, he should be considered.

I think Rondo is a safe bet though, he's probably the best defender from that list.

ManRam
01-05-2010, 03:11 PM
LeBron and Battier are both easily primarily SFs. I don't think either would be considered a guard if they won.

Rondo has the best chance. In a few years, I think it's doable.

The ChILL
01-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Kobe won't win the award that is unless they only take into consideration the last couple minutes of a game...

Gibby23
01-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Good to see Tyreke get mentioned. He's already pretty good as a rookie, and like you said, his versatility should bode well for the future. His length and strength should cause a lot of guys problems on both ends for years to come. What I like most about him is his ability to guard guys in the post.

His D isn't pretty good. He should get better, but right now his D isn't that good.

JDizzle
01-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Cp3

Cano23
01-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Kobe won't win the award that is unless they only take into consideration the last couple minutes of a game...

If only he played D like that all game.....:facepalm:

Sly Guy
01-05-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't see a guard winning it any time soon.

this.

JDink24
01-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Jrue Holliday in a couple of years!

Raph12
01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
As long as Dwight doesn't suffer a significant injury, the DPOY award may be on lockdown for several years.

DerekRE_3
01-05-2010, 04:10 PM
His D isn't pretty good. He should get better, but right now his D isn't that good.

That's why I said for a rookie he's pretty good. Most rookies are terrible on D.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Rondo. I think maybe Westbrook down the line

bigsams50
01-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Rondo or CP3, but a gaurd wont win for a while.

Gators123
01-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Rondo

loufor2
01-05-2010, 06:42 PM
sefolosha?

ARMIN12NBA
01-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Kobe has been playing out of his mind on defense this season (early decade Kobe lockdown defense), but he will not win DPOY this year. I see either Gerald Wallace or Dwight Howard winning it (maybe Lebron just because he is Lebron, but in no way, shape or form, belongs in any recognition for defense).

fresh prince
01-05-2010, 07:53 PM
2 Words

Mike James....

Sorry I had to

Kakaroach
01-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Rajon Rondo or Thabo Sefolosha

But with Dwight and J. Smoove, I don't think anyone else will have a shot at it.

PrettyBoyJ
01-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Who gets your vote?

Chris Paul prob has a better chance.. and Kobe Bryant as well but Kobe really isnt a lockdown defender jus a floater.. And Tyreke Evans he's gonna be switched to SG jus like Wade was after his rookie year.. and then we gonna see him guards guys like Kobe and Wade then ppl wont be tlkin bout his size and defense anymore.. Rondo????

ko8e24
01-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Rondo or CP3

MiamiHeat
01-05-2010, 08:41 PM
the obvious answer here is Dwyane Tyrone Wade.

:D

_KB24_
01-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Kobe should. For such a great defender, arguably the best in the league, he never gets significant consideration.

JasonJohnHorn
01-05-2010, 09:37 PM
When it comes to D on the wing, there aren't many better than Kobe. Kobe is playing his best when he focuses on D. He may not win it, but he's the best defensive shooting-guard the league has seen since Jordan.

I haven't gotten a chance to watch T. Evans play yet, but if he's as good on D as people are suggesting, then couple with his stats he's going to be awesome. I cant wait to see him play.

As for CP3, he works hard on D, but his size is not going to help him. I can't remember a small point guard ever winning the award. Even guys who lead the league in steals (Stockton and Iverson for example) were notoriously weak defenders, they were just good at guarding the passing lanes. Payton was a big point guard, 6'4 or 6'5 and he could slow down PGs who post up and stay in front of his guy. Steals don't always mean great defence so CP3 will have a hard time of it despite his impressive defensive stats, and he is much better on D than most small PGs.

The league is short on great defensive guards though. Usually small forward that can guard shooters (Artest, Marion, Battier, LBJ) have a decent chance, but guys like Dwight Howard who gets the blocks and picks up the little guys as well as preventing post players from scoring get recognized because they have so much responcibility having to guard their own guy while also serving as the last line of defence when the little guys are driving in.

fresh prince
01-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Yea when Kobe Locks Down on someone it truly is a site to behold..The only thing is he doesn't do this consistently for 48 minutes. He takes a few plays off every now and then to play "rover" and conserve energy.. This tenacious D on Lebron Christmas day is a prime

The only way I see him winning DPOY is when he is like 36 and the Lakers have another go to guy say Bynum or Someone else and Kobe isn't needed to drop 30 - 81 points per night.

Then I could see him playing consistent lock down D like he did in the Olympics and winning DPOY but not now.