PDA

View Full Version : What a waste!

BADKNEES
01-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Who was the biggest waste of talent of the past decade? Which player never lived up to their potential for whatever reason? Some from the 90s would be
JR Rider, Richard Dumas, Stanley Roberts etc. Who had all the promise in the world and pissed it all away over the past 10 yrs?

Not talking about underachievers or guys who were big in college but didn't translate to the pros. Talking about guys who put up #s at some point in the NBA but due to injury, stupidity or other reasons will always be consered a "could have been"

TheCardiacKids
01-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Wasn't Sebastian Telfair supposed to be the next "great" PG. Now he's a backup.

Jumba
01-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Why is there so many hate on players threads these days... Jeez, give it a break. Their more talented than you.

TheCardiacKids
01-03-2010, 10:40 PM
^^^ Who said they didn't....

BADKNEES
01-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Why is there so many hate on players threads these days... Jeez, give it a break. Their more talented than you.

This is not part of the NBA PR Machine. All discussions won't be like the NBA cares spots. Some threads stroke players, some compare, and others knock players. It's a forum for discussion bro.

You're not Sebastian Telfair are you?

JDizzle
01-03-2010, 10:42 PM
darko.. was suppose to be the next wilt chamberlain a report said... im pretty sure he didnt live up to that

DerekRE_3
01-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Gerald Green

BADKNEES
01-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Darko, Green, Telfair are really just underachievers right. They never showed great ability in the NBA. I'm curious about the guys who put up big #s and then faded away making us say whatever happenned to that guy. Bonzi Wells - Antoine Walker, Spree etc

Jacob K.
01-03-2010, 10:52 PM
adam morrsion, remember him coming out of college

dolfan720
01-03-2010, 11:10 PM
jj redick?

blastmasta26
01-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Marbury.

ldc62
01-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Marbury.

Stephon was amazing before he went to NY (20 and 10 guy).

BADKNEES
01-03-2010, 11:24 PM

What a waste

blastmasta26
01-03-2010, 11:24 PM

Talking about guys who put up #s at some point in the NBA but due to injury, stupidity or other reasons will always be consered a "could have been"

Marbury applies to this, he put up great numbers but fell off.

The Blue Baller
01-03-2010, 11:32 PM
How about Jason Williams? (Duke/Bulls)

BADKNEES
01-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Yep. Marbury's a great example. But he did haved a 10 year career so he wasn't a flash in the pan...But still a waste of talent in a a way.

TheWatcher34
01-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Jermaine O'Neal never really lived up to the expectations.

TheWatcher34
01-03-2010, 11:35 PM
can't be considered waste of the decade he has only been arouind for 3 or 4 years...but Adam Morrison, sadly.

BADKNEES
01-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Jermaine O'Neal never really lived up to the expectations.

Still was an all-star and 10 year vet. A bit of an underachiever but not necessarily a "waste" of talent.

BADKNEES
01-03-2010, 11:38 PM
can't be considered waste of the decade he has only been arouind for 3 or 4 years...but Adam Morrison, sadly.

again a guy who never established himself in the league rather than a guy that flourished and faded.

IDB Josh M
01-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Kwame Brown.

PurpleJesus
01-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Olowakandi...I remember at the early part of the decade some people claimed he was the 2nd best center in the league, just behind shaq

PurpleJesus
01-03-2010, 11:42 PM
No one has mentioned T-Mac yet

blastmasta26
01-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Steve Francis and Eddy Curry

mikantsass
01-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Glen Robinson- #1overall

BADKNEES

OUCH. Poor dude can't catch a break

JDMac80
greg oden. not so much a waste but an injury plagued disappointment in comparison to what durant has done. i bet the blazers front office vomits in their mouthes every time they see a durant highlight.

BADKNEES
01-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Glen Robinson- #1overall

Good call! Rumor has it that Big Dog can be found counting his money and admiring the day shift at ATL's Magic City. Look for the Phantom parked outside!:speechless:

Hawkeye15
01-03-2010, 11:47 PM
waste of talent? Derrick Coleman, Stephon Marbury, Tim Thomas, Baron Davis. These and more come to mind

igPay atinLay
01-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Rick Rubio....he will never be anything even if he decides to leave Spain....a player that has played in the NBA, Derek Coleman, he could have been a top ten all time player if he had even the smallest amount of heart and work ethic.

MGB
01-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Eddie Griffin

BADKNEES
01-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Rick Rubio....he will never be anything even if he decides to leave Spain....a player that has played in the NBA, Derek Coleman, he could have been a top ten all time player if he had even the smallest amount of heart and work ethic.

Kinda Harsh on Rubio. European players tend to arrive in the NBA much more prepared than Americans out of college don't they? Time will tell.

As for D.C. He's a complete waste but gotta put him in the 90s category.

PurpleJesus
01-03-2010, 11:59 PM

really? an 18 year old kid who hasnt played here yet is the biggest waste? thats like saying John Wall or Blake Griffin has been the biggest waste this decade

BADKNEES
Eddie Griffin

Nice Pull.

And someone else mentioned Jason Williams from Duke. Another great waste.

PurpleJesus
steve francis

SlaterRaps

agreed there
he could have been an amazing player but too many injuries

sugarrayray
stevie francis is one. I cant believe how many people in this thread keep naming good college players who were never good in the nba. This is about people who were good in the nba, and then self destructed due to stupidity and other stuff.

PurpleJesus
01-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Wally Szcerbiak was a one time all star, and then he has been a failure since

cubbybear2290
01-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Nice Pull.

And someone else mentioned Jason Williams from Duke. Another great waste.

Jay Williams was his actual name and he wasn't a waste of talent, he got hurt in a freak motor cycle accident that ruined his career. Please don't call him a waste. Yes he never did anything in the NBA due to a choice ride a crotch rocket. I thought he would have been great. That is just being ignorant.

ThuglifeJ
01-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Lebron is a waste to me.
This guy will be the best player in the NBA in a couple years when Kobe gets too old, and he puts it to shame by being such an immature clown.
He could just be a classy guy, but I guess that's not him.

why god mixed the worst personality with the best talent. Probably doesnt want anything to be perfect.

Think about it.

MJ? nah total a**hole and had worst HOF speech
Kobe? rape case.
Lebron? Immature to the max.
VC and Tmac? too much flash and swag for their own good.
Nash? No defense

you get where I'm going.

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Jay Williams was his actual name and he wasn't a waste of talent, he got hurt in a freak motor cycle accident that ruined his career. Please don't call him a waste. Yes he never did anything in the NBA due to a choice ride a crotch rocket. I thought he would have been great. That is just being ignorant.

Ignorant is taking a "choice ride on a crotch rocket".

Sorry to break it to you but he wasted his opportunity. You said it yourself "he would have been great".

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 12:09 AM
stevie francis is one. I cant believe how many people in this thread keep naming good college players who were never good in the nba. This is about people who were good in the nba, and then self destructed due to stupidity and other stuff.

Thx Sugarrayray - def a little confusion here but we're startin to get to the good stuff.

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Lebron is a waste to me.
This guy will be the best player in the NBA in a couple years when Kobe gets too old, and he puts it to shame by being such an immature clown.

why god mixed the worst personality with the best talent. Probably doesnt want anything to be perfect.

Think about it.

Kobe? rape case.
Nash? No defense

you get where I'm going.

Not fully agreeing with you on this but I will say it's tough to build the perfect NBA cyborg with the optimum balance of game, personality, and character. Those special "lockerroom guys" are a great topic for another thread however. I'd start with Ray Allen, Michael Redd, and Mutumbo

cubbybear2290
01-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Ignorant is taking a "choice ride on a crotch rocket".

Sorry to break it to you but he wasted his opportunity. You said it yourself "he would have been great".

W/E you say man. I am just saying bud. And yes I thought He would've been great, but wasted mean someone who actually had a worth while career, not one that was cut short in my mind. But that is just my opinion.

Tymer
01-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Jerome James had that one playoff series with the Sonics

Desagna Diop had a big series with the Mavs

Diggy_2
01-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Cant believe no one said Kwame Brown

NYsportsGuru
01-04-2010, 12:18 AM
jj redick?

He's having a pretty good season.

NYsportsGuru
01-04-2010, 12:19 AM
greg oden. not so much a waste but an injury plagued disappointment in comparison to what durant has done. i bet the blazers front office vomits in their mouthes every time they see a durant highlight.

As of right now, yes, Oden is among the top of the list.

dev0
01-04-2010, 12:21 AM
i have to say T-Mac i know his numbers were big at the beginning of the decade... but as the title permits "what a waste"
adam morrison is a good one too

PurpleJesus
Ricky Davis

BADKNEES
W/E you say man. I am just saying bud. And yes I thought He would've been great, but wasted mean someone who actually had a worth while career, not one that was cut short in my mind. But that is just my opinion.

I'll drop it but just so you know the basis of my logic, here is my initial post for this thread:

Who was the biggest waste of talent of the past decade? Which player never lived up to their potential for whatever reason? Some from the 90s would be
JR Rider, Richard Dumas, Stanley Roberts etc. Who had all the promise in the world and pissed it all away over the past 10 yrs?

Not talking about underachievers or guys who were big in college but didn't translate to the pros. Talking about guys who put up #s at some point in the NBA but due to injury, stupidity or other reasons will always be consered a "could have been"

I like Jay and think he's a good analyst. Would have liked to see him reach his potential however.

PurpleJesus
01-04-2010, 12:23 AM
i have to say T-Mac i know his numbers were big at the beginning of the decade... but as the title permits "what a waste"
adam morrison is a good one too

yeah, definetly T-Mac, the man should be a top 5 player in the league, but hes as fragile as glass

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Jerome James had that one playoff series with the Sonics

Desagna Diop had a big series with the Mavs

Both of those dude seem capable of so much more

ThuglifeJ
01-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Not fully agreeing with you on this but I will say it's tough to build the perfect NBA cyborg with the optimum balance of game, personality, and character. Those special "lockerroom guys" are a great topic for another thread however. I'd start with Ray Allen, Michael Redd, and Mutumbo

well I'm talking best of the best. Ik, there will never be one, and I like it that way.

Redd: Injuries to the max anyways.
Allen: He's not some MJ/Kobe. He's a great player though, he is like pretty perfect but 1. He's not/wasnt considered a best player. So that cancels him out. 2. He's on the Celtics lol. But yeah if he was as good as MJ he'd be a cyborg.
Mutumbo: same with the other 2.

Lakersfan2483
01-04-2010, 12:35 AM

Darius Miles, Steve Francis, Jermaine O'neal, Andrei Kirilenko, T-Mac (injuries really hurt his career)

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 12:38 AM
Tom gugliotta?

SA5195
01-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Desmond Mason?

JDMac80
01-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Lebron is a waste to me.

Think about it.

Kobe? rape case.
Nash? No defense

you get where I'm going.

You are an idiot for pretty much everything up there. Not everyone will be Muhammad Ali - both great and politically driven to make a change. Actually, nobody will be like him......ever

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Darius Miles, Steve Francis, Jermaine O'neal, Andrei Kirilenko, T-Mac (injuries really hurt his career)

Dmiles was tough when he was with the Clips. He and Q-Richardson were fun to watch.

Stevie Franchise has been mentioned a few times. He had a pretty good career however. Many years putting up good numbers. Not sure if he's a waste or just disappointing.

dougie5627
01-04-2010, 01:01 AM
eddy curry anyone?

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Did Curry ever really get it rollin? I know he had some good games but did he ever put a season together. Too lazy to google his stats but I'm just sayin yo

_KB24_
01-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Grant Hill. Was suppose to team up with T-Mac and dominate. Never even came close.

RaptorizedKevin
01-04-2010, 01:38 AM
that guy chosen before micheal jordan.. felt so bad for the blazers..

MSG34
01-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Did Curry ever really get it rollin? I know he had some good games but did he ever put a season together. Too lazy to google his stats but I'm just sayin yo

Yeah, he had his best year in 2007. He was averaging like 19 PPG and 7 rebounds. He got allstar consideration. Lebron and Dwight Howard even really praised him. I'd say Curry fits this thread description perfectly. Although he's working hard to turn it around and I hope he can do it.

Giantwarrior
01-04-2010, 02:00 AM
They say Tim Thomas had the potential to be the best player in the NBA, most of his teammates and peers said the same thing. but he never had the dedication to put in the time.

Same goes for Baron Davis.

Ray_R
01-04-2010, 02:05 AM

I think he said you could put it based on stupdity...SO for me it is Jay Williams

canzano55
01-04-2010, 02:07 AM
T-Mac and eventually Yao.

Darko.

Richard Jefferson.

Michael Redd.

Gilbert Arenas.

Brad Miller.

Elton Brand.

metsfan316
01-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Lebron is a waste to me.

Think about it.

Kobe? rape case.
Nash? No defense

you get where I'm going.

I disagree on the part about him being a waste. But i do agree on Lebron's immaturity and i'll even add his lack of sportsmanship. What i didn't like about him was when he walked off the court when Orlando beat them in the playoffs. I mean the time wasn't even up, he didn't even congratulate the players that beat his team. But i wouldn't call him a waste. He a puts up the numbers, so he's not a waste IMO. He has the potential to be great.

tkshy
01-04-2010, 02:19 AM
I will give you a hint.
6'6 starting SG from NC!

He is same size as MJ, jumps higher, runs faster, better out side shot, better defense, better passer.

There is no reason Vince Carter should not have been mentioned in the same breath as Kobe, Lebron, Wade, but we don't because he lacked on thing...HEART<3

What a waste!

tkshy
01-04-2010, 02:26 AM
You are an idiot for pretty much everything up there. Not everyone will be Muhammad Ali - both great and politically driven to make a change. Actually, nobody will be like him......ever

Muhammad Ali??? During his prime he was a man whore...and one of the most arrogant people in the world.

If that moron is going to bash Kobe because of cheating on his wife ... ONCE, and a FALSE rape charge, or MJ because of bad speech, he really doesn't understand the question. NO ONE IS PERFECT! We are judging thier game here, not their personal lives.

KayNti
01-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Micheal Olowokandi, Telfair, Johnathan Bender, Kwame Brown, Eddy Curry, Jerome James, Robert Traylor, Darko Milicic, Keon Clark, Greg Oden, Keith Van Horn, Adam Morrison, Steve Francis

bchissie
01-04-2010, 02:28 AM
Shareef-Abdur Rahim
Darius Miles
Ricky Davis
Andrei Kirilenko
Keith Van Horn
Joe Smith
Jerry Stackhouse
Lamar Odom
Kenyon Martin

Every starter on the 2000s Piston teams except Billups has faded:
Ben Wallace
Rasheed Wallace
Tayshaun Prince
Richard Hamilton

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Micheal Olowokandi, Telfair, Johnathan Bender, Kwame Brown, Eddy Curry, Jerome James, Robert Traylor, Darko Milicic, Keon Clark, Greg Oden, Keith Van Horn, Adam Morrison, Steve Francis

Great List here!

Mix of underachievers who never developed and guys who shined and faded.

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Shareef-Abdur Rahim
Darius Miles
Ricky Davis
Andrei Kirilenko
Keith Van Horn
Joe Smith
Jerry Stackhouse
Lamar Odom
Kenyon Martin

Every starter on the 2000s Piston teams except Billups has faded:
Ben Wallace
Rasheed Wallace
Tayshaun Prince
Richard Hamilton

But dude- players fade. It's called age and wear and tear. We were focused on guys who were here one second and gone the next. Most of the guys you've listed are still playing and some starting. Lamar is still a guy most teams would love to have. I think it was a swing and a miss here.

bringinwood
01-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Royal Ivey

greg_ory_2005
01-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Darius Miles

JayW_1023
01-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Mark Madsen...a waste of dancing skills.

Lo Porto
01-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Kwame Brown. There is no comparison. Everbody thought the guy was going to be what Dwight Howard has been because Jordan drafted him. Ironically, I just listed the most overrated player of the 2000's and the most inept GM of the 2000'. Isaiah is option 1b.

Tony_Starks
01-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Christian Latener..... hands down!

redhorse
01-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Kwame Brown. There is no comparison. Everbody thought the guy was going to be what Dwight Howard has been because Jordan drafted him. Ironically, I just listed the most overrated player of the 2000's and the most inept GM of the 2000'. Isaiah is option 1b.

http://thatnbalotterypick.blogspot.com/2009/03/david-falks-bald-truth-mj-did-not-want.html just to clear things up with jordan drafting brown

fresh prince
01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Darius Miles.. Insane Hoop Skills and Athleticism gone to waste via weed and injury

ndfightirish12
01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Dontrell Willis

Pierzynski4Prez
01-04-2010, 03:29 PM
harold miner-the next MJ

Da Knicks
01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Muhammad Ali is the biggest jerk ever what you talking about, he made fun of other boxers and really stood for nothing good. As far as the players being mentioned Eddy Curry and Darko Millicic should be at the top of the list. If they would not be so lazy they could of actually being good but they will never be since they want everything handed to them. Penny was a player that injuries just cost him his career.

BigStat$54
01-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Can't believe the name Rafael Araujo hasn't come up here yet. What a waste of a first round pick that guy was, could not play worth a damn in the NBA. How Colangelo ever found someone to trade him too will forever be an unsolved mystery. At least Darko is still in the league.

mavwar53
01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
a lot of people are talking busts not wastes of talent

arkanian215
01-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Steve Francis and Eddy Curry

yeah baby shaq

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 05:45 PM
a lot of people are talking busts not wastes of talent

Yeah I've tried to bring it back there several times but to no avail.

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Christian Latener..... hands down!

Laettner played 13 years in the NBA and got the most out of his ability. Some people get fooled into thinking a great college player should be a great pro player. Not the case.

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
harold miner-the next MJ

90s

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Can't believe the name Rafael Araujo hasn't come up here yet. What a waste of a first round pick that guy was, could not play worth a damn in the NBA. How Colangelo ever found someone to trade him too will forever be an unsolved mystery. At least Darko is still in the league.

He never established himself in the league bro. How did he fall off if he was never ON?

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 05:54 PM

Kwame doesn't seem to have much talent so how is he a WASTE of talent? He simply doesn't have any and fooled some folks into drafting him 1.

masalex1205
01-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Tom gugliotta?

No way, Googs was dirty, just let his whiteness catch up to him

lorenz00
01-04-2010, 06:44 PM
adam morrsion, remember him coming out of college

he cried in court thats y he lost all his talent

SteveNash
01-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Eddie Griffin

TheWatcher34
01-04-2010, 07:43 PM
He's having a pretty good season.

yea..he finished that rap album yet?? where can i get it? :D

BADKNEES
01-04-2010, 07:55 PM
No way, Googs was dirty, just let his whiteness catch up to him

What the hell are you talking about dude?:confused::confused:

MAC10TIZZY
01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
larry hughes
peja stoy
ben wallace
tj ford
darko
marquis daniels
jamaal tinsley
michael sweetney
jason richardson
idk etc. etc.

bchissie
01-04-2010, 11:18 PM
what about jamaal magloire??? huh BADKNEES?

u fuggin pud

SLY WILLIAMS
01-04-2010, 11:40 PM
stephon was amazing before he went to ny (20 and 10 guy).

20-8

BADKNEES
01-05-2010, 12:46 AM
what about jamaal magloire??? huh BADKNEES?

u fuggin pud

tough guy

B.JenningsMVP
01-05-2010, 01:32 AM
Gerald Green

This.. People compared him to T-Mac... I actually thought he would live up to his potential and become the next big time gaurd

Jvu
01-05-2010, 01:37 AM
Shaun Livingston.. due to knee injury.. Man this kid had amazing potential.. 4th overall pick

PrettyBoyJ
01-05-2010, 01:59 AM
Steve Francis, Kenyon Martin, Jermaine Oneal,

JayW_1023
01-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Darius Miles.. Insane Hoop Skills and Athleticism gone to waste via weed and injury

He never was all that skilled...he was just a really good athlete.

Lakerfrk
01-05-2010, 06:49 AM

BUT... I'm a better speller than you..

They're.....

:facepalm:

bmcpx1034
01-05-2010, 08:26 AM
ha ha ha

Bobby Hurley
Harold Miner
Chris Jackson
Eddie Jones
Dajuan Wagner
Chris Wilcox
Shaun Livingston

asandhu23
01-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Allen Iverson

Lakers_ftw
01-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Anybody remember Bo Kimble?

greg_ory_2005
01-05-2010, 03:13 PM
larry hughes
peja stoy
ben wallace
tj ford
darko
marquis daniels
jamaal tinsley
michael sweetney
jason richardson
idk etc. etc.

I don't get how most of those are waste, except for probably Darko and Sweetney...

kobebabe
01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
What about Jerry Stackhouse? To me he was great when he was in detroit but hasn't done much ever since he moved to Dallas.

Grant Hill couldn't have been much better if it wasn't for injuries. Still a decent player tho.

D. Wagner is another one

DaBUU
01-05-2010, 03:35 PM
when i lived in AZ in the mid 90's, I used to get my bud from Richard Dumas' peeps. Was in his company a couple times. so yeah my vote for biggest waste is him.

kobebabe
01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Cant believe no one said Kwame Brown

To me he is not a wated talent but an under-achiever

kobebabe
01-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Most of the players that are mentioned have never achieved and most are draft busts. I thot we are talking abt guys who put up big numbers at first and then for whatever reason they disappeared in the thin air.

RadiantShot
01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Fran Vasquez needs to get his *** over here to Orlando.

Uhm..Waste of talents..Marbury...Adam Morrison...Randy Foye...Emeka Okafor possibly...Ehh..Nevermind Okafor.

Steve Francis DEFINATELY..and of course...Darko Milicic...

JayW_1023
01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
I remember, back in the old olllllllllllllllddddd days there was this poster, a Laker fan, with a KWAME BROWN LAYUP DRILL sig. Fing Hilarious!

Anyone remember who this poster was?

MAC10TIZZY
01-05-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't get how most of those are waste, except for probably Darko and Sweetney...

then you didn't get the question, and thanks for reminding me, sean may should be on this list too....sucks