PDA

View Full Version : What IF

mase50
01-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Since the trend of the Kansas City Royals ownership is to keep payroll in the $60-70M payroll, fans should just give up any hope of having a competitive team. Lets face it, in order to compete you have to open up the bank every once in awhile. My thing is, why cant they just increase the payroll this year to try and add quality players in hopes that the team would compete thus drawing more fans. So my question to all of the fans is, if the 2009 payroll of
$76M, which includes prorated signing bonuses and other monies owed to former players, was increased to $88M in 2010, which is a $12M increase and a realistic increase, what would you have done to improve the team and be realistic?

I would have:

1. Traded Mark Teahen to the White Sox for 3B Josh Fields and 2B Chris Getz. (I agree with that trade)

2. Traded RHP Gil Meche to the Chicago Cubs for OF Milton Bradley. (Milton Bradley is a good player who simply struggles with big market teams and he admitted that. The reason his attiude was so bad was because of the media which is tough in Chicago. Milton adds a switch hitter who can hit 20-25HR and will give you a good average along with an OBP of at least .370. Gil Meche was getting paid $12M with production of a 4th or 5th Starter. You can get those results with the league minimum.

3. Sign RHP DJ Carrasco. This guy is dependable and his era of 3.76 does him no justice. He was a horse for the White Sox keeping them in games which allowed them to comeback and win a lot of games. He worked in LR, MR and in the set up role.

4. Claim 26 year RHP old Freddy Dolsi off waivers from the Detroit Tigers. The Tigers had no room left on their 40-man roster after Granderson trade so they removed this guy which is shocking to me. He has great stuff including a mid range fastball . He can setup and has the tools to close so he would be a some insurance if Juan Cruz and Kyle Farnsworth do not rebound. He has some faults but what pitcher doesnt.

5. Sign C Mike Redmond to be the back up catcher. He calls great games and has great defense.

6. Sign Jack Cust. The royals need power and he can give you that. While he will strike out over a hundred times, he will give you nearly a hundred walks and and OBP of at least .380.

7. Sign Lefty Will Ohman to a minor league contract so that he can prove he is healthy

8. Sign Erik Bedard. Now you have one of the best 1-2 punches in baseball.

Erik Bedard - Offer him a One-year $5.5 million contract with $4.5 million worth of incentives including a 2011 Mutual Option worth $10 million. If player opts out, buyout will be $1 million, if team opts out, buyout will be $2 million.

Will Ohman
One-year $800k contract

2010 $800k (plus $700k worth of incentives)
2011 FA

Jack Cust
Two-year $9.5 million contract

2010 $4.5M
2011 $5M
2012 FA

Mike Redmond
One-year $950k contract

2010 $950k
2011 FA

D.J Carrasco
One-year $900k contract

2010 $900k

I would have brought Co Co and Olivo back. Youre not gonna get anyone better offense wise then olivo and there arent many better options in CF the Co Co. I would drop Kyle Davis along with others that the Kansas City Royals let go.

The Payroll on opening day would be about $81M and the total payroll for the year would be around $88M

Bryrob58
01-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Well, number one, I'm pretty sure Dolsi was picked up by the White Sox. Number two, adding Bedard and trading Meche is a downgrade in pitching. I would much rather have Meche. I don't mind the idea, but I doubt it. Even if all of these moves happened the Royals would still struggle to get 80 wins.

mase50
01-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Well, number one, I'm pretty sure Dolsi was picked up by the White Sox. Number two, adding Bedard and trading Meche is a downgrade in pitching. I would much rather have Meche. I don't mind the idea, but I doubt it. Even if all of these moves happened the Royals would still struggle to get 80 wins.

The question was what would you have done so adding Dolsi is allowed. I believe the team with the lesser record gets the player if they both attempt to acquire him off waivers and a swap of erik bedard and meche is not close to downgrading, lol. Erik Bedard is an ace when healthy, Meche is a back of the rotation starter. Its not unrealistic for an injuried player who still isnt signed throught january and who prolly wont sign till Mid Feb, to sign with a team like the royals for the right price because he is not gonna get a huge base salary anywhere and it would allow him to prove that he can be healthy thus raising his value Rich Harden who has been relatively healthy the last two years got a base salary of 6.5. No one knows how many games a team will win, you add players to give your fans confidence that you are moving in the right direction. Besides the question was what would you do to improve the team, not dissect my idea.

Bryrob58
01-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Okay, you could have had Dolsi. Trust me, he wouldn't make a huge impact. And you hit the nail on the head with Bedard. If he is healthy. I really doubt he comes back all the way, and who says he will be healthy. Meche is much more than a back of the rotation starter, IMO. He is a solid #2 behind Greinke. If Bedard was such a great pitcher and is an ace, don't you think a team like the Yankees, Sox or Mets would have grabbed him? If it was me, I would be looking to move a lot of players on the current roster in a similar way to what the Pirates are doing. Trade everything for prospects, and build ground up. I'm sure it wouldn't be a popular in Kansas City, but it needs to be done. This includes moving players like Butler, Soria, Gordon, everyone except Zack. Once Greinke hits his peak, move him too, unless you want to pay him. A complete rebuild is in order for the Royals to compete. I guess if it was me I would do exactly what Huntington has done in Pittsburgh. Get the players through the farm, and drafting. After these players start rolling through the gates, pay them, just like Tampa has done with players like Crawford, Price, etc. Worry about raising the payroll when you have your own guys to pay. I would not be a fan of signing a bunch of free agents and hoping that they form a decent squad.

BTW I didn't really read your whole initial post, so I didn't see the 'make your own idea' part. Oops.

mase50
01-04-2010, 01:32 AM
Okay, you could have had Dolsi. Trust me, he wouldn't make a huge impact. And you hit the nail on the head with Bedard. If he is healthy. I really doubt he comes back all the way, and who says he will be healthy. Meche is much more than a back of the rotation starter, IMO. He is a solid #2 behind Greinke. If Bedard was such a great pitcher and is an ace, don't you think a team like the Yankees, Sox or Mets would have grabbed him? If it was me, I would be looking to move a lot of players on the current roster in a similar way to what the Pirates are doing. Trade everything for prospects, and build ground up. I'm sure it wouldn't be a popular in Kansas City, but it needs to be done. This includes moving players like Butler, Soria, Gordon, everyone except Zack. Once Greinke hits his peak, move him too, unless you want to pay him. A complete rebuild is in order for the Royals to compete. I guess if it was me I would do exactly what Huntington has done in Pittsburgh. Get the players through the farm, and drafting. After these players start rolling through the gates, pay them, just like Tampa has done with players like Crawford, Price, etc. Worry about raising the payroll when you have your own guys to pay. I would not be a fan of signing a bunch of free agents and hoping that they form a decent squad.

BTW I didn't really read your whole initial post, so I didn't see the 'make your own idea' part. Oops.

Yeah i know it was a long post, its sunday nothing to do, lol. Dolsi would be just insurance in the pen because even if the payroll increased, royals wouldnt have the money to acquire a $4M set up man especially when u are paying tons of cash to farnsworth and cruz. Yanks and Sox hadnt signed bedard for the same reason teams have not signed sheets, health and lets not start determining the talent of a pitcher based on rather or not the Yankees or Boston sign them. I think Meche has ace stuff but Im not sure he is an ace, kinda like javier vazquez, ace stuff but back of the rotation production with the exception of last year. I know its a gamble to get bedard but at this point what do the royals have to lose, lol.

Cooper
01-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Bedard won't even be ready to pitch until July reportedly. Add the big question mark about his ability to go, post surgery, and you have foolish dollars spent as the answer. The Royals have to try to make the dollars count when they spend them. I do agree that they seem to have taken the winter off, and that the "wait and see" approach they have with who they have coming back is risky, at best.

mase50
01-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Bedard won't even be ready to pitch until July reportedly. Add the big question mark about his ability to go, post surgery, and you have foolish dollars spent as the answer. The Royals have to try to make the dollars count when they spend them. I do agree that they seem to have taken the winter off, and that the "wait and see" approach they have with who they have coming back is risky, at best.

Oh really? that sucks, i had no idea he was out till the summer, oh well.

Twins Fan 7
01-30-2010, 01:16 AM
You can compete with a $60 - $70 M payroll. The Twins did it for years. You just have to be smart with the money you have. Don't spend money stupidly, ex. Guillen. Draft well, spend well, and develop well and you can easily contend.