PDA

View Full Version : If the Grizzlies had picked Tyreke Evans...

Cubsfan365
01-03-2010, 12:50 AM
How much better would the Memphis Grizzlies be if they had taken Tyreke Evans instead of Hasheem Thabeet? Not only has Tyreke been an instant contributor and early favorite for ROY, but he went to school at Memphis and would definitely help their attendance figures for years to come. The Grizzlies would have a young core of Evans, Mayo, Gay, and Gasol and probably rival the Thunder for best young core in the NBA.

Vinny642
01-03-2010, 12:53 AM
I never liked Thabeet, but I dont see how they can use Tyreke, personally I dont think there is anything wrong with this starters they need bench, but drafting Tyreke means they can trade either Mayo or Conley Jr

kblo247
01-03-2010, 12:56 AM
The Griz really don't need a PG or big off the bench.

Hasheem and Tinsley have done their jobs nicely.

They need a wing off the bench behind Mayo and Gay more than anything else so I don't think that Evans would have done much for them as much as a bigger 2/3 would

dwadefan03
01-03-2010, 01:11 AM
its easy to take evans' stats now and just replace the team but ask yourself this....would he be putting up the same numbers in memphis. yes hes a great player but think about it...hes the number one option on the team, the number 2 option(or number one depending upon who you ask) is out with an injury and hes basically allowed to do whatever he wants. i personally think they did the rigfht thing taking thabeet. hes not as bad as everyone thinks and he can develop into a nice defensive player. did he go to high? probobly. but if they werent going to trade the pick then thabeet or harden would have been the right choice because i dont see how anyone else would have fit

mikeman0000
01-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Jennings or Flynn would probally work better than Evans.

Flynn/Jennings - Mayo - Gay - Randolph - Gasol

yanksrock
01-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Give him a chance.

Chicagofaithful
01-03-2010, 01:42 AM
neither mayo or tyrke is a true PG... itd be hard to make it work... or at least settling for A LOT OF to's

TheKing23
01-03-2010, 01:50 AM
its easy to take evans' stats now and just replace the team but ask yourself this....would he be putting up the same numbers in memphis. yes hes a great player but think about it...hes the number one option on the team, the number 2 option(or number one depending upon who you ask) is out with an injury and hes basically allowed to do whatever he wants. i personally think they did the rigfht thing taking thabeet. hes not as bad as everyone thinks and he can develop into a nice defensive player. did he go to high? probobly. but if they werent going to trade the pick then thabeet or harden would have been the right choice because i dont see how anyone else would have fit

I agree with the part about Evans not putting up the same numbers on an offensively superior team. With Gay, Mayo, Randolph and Gasol taking a combined 56 shots a game there would be no room for Tyreke to get his.

Thabeet needs time. He had 10 points (5-7 fg) 5 rebounds and 3 blocks in 19 minutes tonight against the Suns. He has something you can't teach and that's an almost perfect NBA body. If he can get the playing time and develop accordingly he will be far from a bust.

He'll never be a first, second or maybe even third option on offense but could anchor a team defensively, locking the paint down and providing tough nosed defense.

Per 36 minutes he's averaging 3.7 blocks a game :speechless:

Mavrix
01-03-2010, 02:22 AM
PG: Evans
SG: Mayo
SF: Gay
PF: Randolph
C: Gasol

:drool:

Hellcrooner
01-03-2010, 10:21 AM
evans woudl be a problem on the grizzlies.

is already a miracle that there has been not a problem with oj, gay and zach taking a lot of shots and letting marc with a ridicule amount even if he is the most eficient of the four.

if you added someone like tyrke you can be sure there woudl be a collisino wiht gay or mayo.

JayW_1023
01-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Thabeet was a stiff in college...and an even bigger stiff in the NBA. Even Gheorge Muresan is better.

mzgrizz
01-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Don't think he'd add anything to this current team, and like other posters, agree we need #3 off the bench;maybe #2; our frontcourt is pretty solid right now and hey! We're winning.....what more do we really need?

3RDASYSTEM
01-03-2010, 11:58 AM
If Portland would have picked MJ.....
If Philly would have landed top pick back to back yrs(96/97) and got DUNCAN and not VAN HORN/THOMAS...
If Rasheed Wallace stayed in ATL/POR....
If Donaghey doesnt come clean about cheating....
If Stern never puts in dress code...
If the Lakers dont trade nothing for PAU....
If people actually played sports and then speak on it.....
If my aunt had balls she would be my...
Who cares about woulda coulda shoulda....also quit getting xcited about teams for one wk...let it play out for few 'yrs'....its the same thing i was telling folks bout CP3 HORNETS in 07....now everybody say they suck after a yr removed from ''legit'' contenders

mzgrizz
01-03-2010, 12:04 PM
You can't rain on this parade,3rd.....we are winning and winning against "good" teams now; home or away. We flat out have a TEAM now.

FlakeyFool
01-03-2010, 12:34 PM
You can't rain on this parade,3rd.....we are winning and winning against "good" teams now; home or away. We flat out have a TEAM now.

except nobody comes out to watch grizzlies games

mzgrizz
01-03-2010, 01:40 PM
^^^^^^ Point well made. Memphis still has a lot to learn about the NBA and how to support and market a team......even after 9 years. They HAVE to have a winner, and the second part of this now promising season will tell a lot.