PDA

View Full Version : offensively, has Dwight Howard taken a step back this year?

dre1990
01-02-2010, 04:29 PM
I havent watched to many magic games this year, but the past week or so ie watched 2. Yesterdays gameand the X-mas day game, And on the defensive side of the ball Dwight looked very good in both games, but he couldnt get it goin offensively. on x-mas he was 1-7 shooting for 5 points. yesterday he was 4-10 for 9 points. has he taken a step back

LeonPoweIsBeast
01-02-2010, 07:52 PM
He's the most stoppable star in the league, Teams have just figured him out.

Tony_Starks
01-02-2010, 08:33 PM
To take a step back would insinuate he had an offensive game to begin with.....

BlueJayFanDan
01-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Dwight Howard may be one of the best defensive players in the game but that man is one of the worst offensive players out there. Anything other then layups will not go in for him. He cant hit free throws or jump shots or anything. He is so overrated.

juggla53
01-02-2010, 09:26 PM
To take a step back would insinuate he had an offensive game to begin with.....

When you average 20ppg id say you have a pretty good offensive game. Points are Points who cares if they all come off putbacks they still all count the same.

juggla53
01-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Dwight Howard may be one of the best defensive players in the game but that man is one of the worst offensive players out there. Anything other then layups will not go in for him. He cant hit free throws or jump shots or anything. He is so overrated.

One of the worst offensive players in the game? his 20ppg average from last year dissagrees with you.

BALLER71
01-02-2010, 09:28 PM
No. He's averaging 17 PPG on 62% shooting.

Tony_Starks
01-02-2010, 09:28 PM
In all fairness to Dwight I think that his coach should be getting him 20 shots a night now matter what. He misses two shots in a row and its like they forget him for the rest of the quarter(s). They should force feed him the rock, he can get 20pts a night off of put backs/occasional hooks and FT's.

If nothing else it would get the other team in foul trouble, even if he blows the FT.

JNA17
01-02-2010, 09:33 PM
One of the worst offensive players in the game? his 20ppg average from last year dissagrees with you.

him having no post moves would also disagree with you.

thedfactor
01-02-2010, 09:40 PM
How much farther back can it go? That's not an insult to Dwight, but his offensive game is pretty poor. If he had any type of really good offense he would be impossible to guard. Added his free throw shooting is still subpar.

He can be a dominant offensive force at times inside, but he's not a skilled offensive player by any means and never has been.

BlueJayFanDan
01-03-2010, 02:15 AM

If I could offensive rebound and have layup oppurtunities like him and get to the free throw line as much as he does and make half those free throws I could average 20 points a game as well. 20 ppg is very impressive except when its all from layups and free throws. Sorry but Howard is overrated and has no shooting ability at all.

SA5195
01-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Well he hasn't taken a step back, he just gets less touches.

Last year Hedo would take 13 shots, and this year VC gets 16 shots, so basiclly -3 shots for Dwight.

^don't know if it didn't make sense lol, but he just gets less touches.

And for the last couple, he's been in foul trouble, so also less minutes, when he's in foul trouble.

ManRam
01-03-2010, 02:38 AM
In all fairness to Dwight I think that his coach should be getting him 20 shots a night now matter what. He misses two shots in a row and its like they forget him for the rest of the quarter(s). They should force feed him the rock, he can get 20pts a night off of put backs/occasional hooks and FT's.

If nothing else it would get the other team in foul trouble, even if he blows the FT.

You can't just give Dwight 20 shots a game. That insinuates that you can just give him the ball anywhere and expect him to get a good shot off. He isn't that good yet. That's why he doesn't shoot more than 10 times a game very often. He just can't create good looks easily enough. He needs to get the ball in good position.

He hasn't taken a step back...but he certainly hasn't improved as I had hoped.

Chronz
01-03-2010, 02:51 AM
If I could offensive rebound and have layup oppurtunities like him and get to the free throw line as much as he does and make half those free throws I could average 20 points a game as well. 20 ppg is very impressive except when its all from layups and free throws. Sorry but Howard is overrated and has no shooting ability at all.
If you could OFFENSIVE rebound like him, if you could GET TO THE LINE as much as him. If you had all those IFs you would be a decent offensive player. Hes not overrated, nobody is saying hes ELITE, but hes definitely not as bad as some of the lies being spread around here.

kblo247
01-03-2010, 02:55 AM
He just has the worst moves and worst big men coach in the game.

He makes all of Ewing's mistakes and has the exact same moves as Ewing's first pupil in Kwame Brown, but his hands are slightly better.

He can't control the ball, doesn't read defenses well, doesn't pass well, and makes silly turnovers just like Ewing did for years and his man defense is also laughable like Ewing when he goes against guys with actual post games.

Pat also messes Yao's game, till Hakeem corrected it but the fact is that Yao had the jumper to make teams pay much like Ewing so his weak back to the basket game back then wasn't as visible as Dwight's or Kwame's.

Fire Ewing and hire a real big man coach or someone with a similar build like Alonzo Mourning.

Chicagofaithful
01-03-2010, 02:57 AM
I actually think Patrick Ewing is TERRIBLE coach for him... i dont think he has taught dwight anything...

sixer04fan
01-03-2010, 03:02 AM
He's definitely one of the best DEFENSIVE players in the league, if not the best.. However, while he accumulates offensive stats with high percentage shooting and a decent amount of points, it's definitely not pretty...

I would say his offensive production is much more dependent on his physical stature than his skills or talent. Don't get me wrong because I definitely would say he's one of the best big men in the game, but he has no great post move or finesse that would allow him to be a very dependable scorer in the league.

To answer the thread question, no. He was never great offensively anyway.

ItsTheLastAce
01-03-2010, 05:46 AM
i wouldnt say took a step back but his lack of an offensive game is a disappointment. i know he scores like 20 ppg but i mean his offensive tools he doesnt really have any moves. if he had an actual post game he would be unstoppable

kurivaimu
01-03-2010, 07:20 AM
dwight howard may be one of the best defensive players in the game but that man is one of the worst offensive players out there. Anything other then layups will not go in for him. He cant hit free throws or jump shots or anything. He is so overrated.

+1

_KB24_
01-03-2010, 07:28 AM
I actually think the biggest problem is the amount of BS calls that are going against him. Every time I see as Magic game, the guy is on the bench.

JayW_1023
01-03-2010, 10:21 AM
He is still just a dominant athlete...he isn't a natural basketball player. That's why his developement is slow.

Trouble87
01-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Dwight's about the same, he's just being featured less in the offense

I think it will hurt his progression in the long run if they keep up the jump shot happy offense