PDA

View Full Version : Should the NBA not count "long shots" that affect Their FG%?

JNA17
01-02-2010, 03:30 PM
I found this question interesting, it was on the yes channel and marv albert and some other guy were discussing it. I want to know what you guys think.

Basically, some if not most players in the NBA are afraid to take those full or half court shorts at the end of the quarter because they are afraid they will miss it and will affect their FG%. Do you think those type of shots should not count and not affect their FG%?

Jonathan2323
01-02-2010, 03:32 PM
i think they shouldn't count, Half the time players wait for the buzzer to shoot so the dont mess up there FG%.

Driven
01-02-2010, 03:34 PM
I think they should count. If a player is too worried to shoot because of his FG%, then that's his own fault. If he'd rather gain stats individually than care about his team, don't change anything.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Those guys would rather keep good stats than try to help their team get some points?

Shows the commitment you have for the team.

I think they should count.

rapswin98
01-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Why shouldn't they not count. What if it was a game winning shot. A fg is a fg and yes it affects your fg% but its just one shot.

clutchski
01-02-2010, 03:52 PM
So if they don't make the shot..it doesn't count towards FG%, but if it goes in for a long distance 3..it counts as a made field goal? That's illogical.

AIsixersFK
01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
It should count.....If it doesn't count then buzzer beater half court shots for the win that are made shouldn't count either. Give me back 5 Sixers losses last season and **** you Devin Harris

IDB Josh M
01-02-2010, 04:28 PM
They shouldn't be jacking up those long shots if they don't want to mess up their FG%. The NBA already doesn't count "the count if it goes" foul shot if they miss, why shouldn't they count the long shot?

SaimoNETS
01-02-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't think they should count, and that other guy was Mike Fratello lol.

SA5195
01-02-2010, 04:35 PM
It should.

What if they make a shot? It should count. And if they miss it, shouldn't count?

Mavrix
01-02-2010, 04:57 PM
those guys would rather keep good stats than try to help their team get some points?

+1

theuuord
01-02-2010, 05:00 PM
they absolutely should count. players and their agents should adjust for the fg% come contract time though.

kozelkid
01-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Of course they should count. If they go in, the player only adds to his stats. With that said, the number of those shots are small enough that they really wouldn't affect the player's fg% all that much. And as theuuord said, if necessary, they could go over the exact number of times that player took those shots.

theuuord
01-02-2010, 05:07 PM
the more i think about this the more ridiculous it is (i was watching the game too). lol, what would qualify? would it have to be beyond halfcourt? what about running 30-foot shots with three defenders? would they count those?

a shot is a shot is a shot. period.

GarlicStench
01-02-2010, 05:08 PM
This is sooooo stupid. If a player is so concerned about what a shot is going to do for his field goal percentage. I DO NOT WANT HIM ON MY TEAM!!!!!!!!

C_Mund
01-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Sure, don't count it.
...but if a player gets a breakaway dunk I don't want to see that counted towards their fg% either.

GOON MUSIC
01-02-2010, 06:03 PM
of course it should count

time on the clock, if you take a SHOT attempt, of course it should count

avrpatsfan
01-02-2010, 06:09 PM
i got an idea. Just create a new category for shot percentage. Make it "Shots shot at the buzzer or shot clock end" Lebron takes tons of shots at the end of the quarters and makes a lot, but they should make a new catagory

Kyle N.
01-02-2010, 06:38 PM
This is sooooo stupid. If a player is so concerned about what a shot is going to do for his field goal percentage. I DO NOT WANT HIM ON MY TEAM!!!!!!!!

:clap: Thank you. This is seriously one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

JNA17
01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
:clap: Thank you. This is seriously one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

i agree that it is also a stupid idea, but i brought up the discussion since it seems interesting esspically since their a couple of people in the thread that actually thought it should not count.

Chronz
01-03-2010, 03:03 AM
I factor in shot clock% at the end of every year, GM's do as well, dont know why the NBA doesnt do it for its fanbase, again just another reason why you guys should join the club.

Those guys would rather keep good stats than try to help their team get some points?

Thats not how players/gm's/coaches think

Chronz
01-03-2010, 03:04 AM

Your like the only person Ive ever seen say they didnt want Shane Battier on their team.

Chronz
01-03-2010, 03:13 AM
the more i think about this the more ridiculous it is (i was watching the game too). lol, what would qualify? would it have to be beyond halfcourt? what about running 30-foot shots with three defenders? would they count those?

a shot is a shot is a shot. period.

Shots taken under extreme duress of consequence due to team failure should be taken into consideration. Someone HAS to shoot, and if a quality look cannot be found it should count against the team equally. These of course are hyper futuristic stats, but it wouldnt be too hard to classify.

Desperation shots with depending on where your stationed qualify as; from full court (2seconds), half court (1sec). If you make these shots they should count towards your statline because they are so more valuable, impossible shots nobody would blame you for missing (or taking to begin with) shouldnt count against your "Efficiency". I know for a fact Morey doesnt.

Just the same way (JVG has alluded to this) we should completely disregard defensive rebounds corralled from free throw attempts, yet magnify those very same offensive rebounds. Call them Contested Rebounds. Which would qualify in other situations as well. These are things I try to keep in mind when looking at stats. Some players have get a few soft rebounds padding their #'s.

hawkeyefootball
01-03-2010, 03:28 AM
At the end of the season that shot really isn't going to impact you're fg%.

Chicagofaithful
01-03-2010, 03:37 AM
The fact taht players are that concerned is annoying...

Kyle N.
01-03-2010, 05:44 AM
i agree that it is also a stupid idea, but i brought up the discussion since it seems interesting esspically since their a couple of people in the thread that actually thought it should not count.

Na, it's cool that you brought it up. I'm just saying, shame on Marv Albert and Mike Fratello.

wudadoda
01-03-2010, 02:28 PM
i say dont count it

Driven
01-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Na, it's cool that you brought it up. I'm just saying, shame on Marv Albert and Mike Fratello.
Marv was against it.

theuuord
01-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Shots taken under extreme duress of consequence due to team failure should be taken into consideration. Someone HAS to shoot, and if a quality look cannot be found it should count against the team equally. These of course are hyper futuristic stats, but it wouldnt be too hard to classify.

Desperation shots with depending on where your stationed qualify as; from full court (2seconds), half court (1sec). If you make these shots they should count towards your statline because they are so more valuable, impossible shots nobody would blame you for missing (or taking to begin with) shouldnt count against your "Efficiency". I know for a fact Morey doesnt.

Just the same way (JVG has alluded to this) we should completely disregard defensive rebounds corralled from free throw attempts, yet magnify those very same offensive rebounds. Call them Contested Rebounds. Which would qualify in other situations as well. These are things I try to keep in mind when looking at stats. Some players have get a few soft rebounds padding their #'s.

I'm not against adjusted shooting percentages come contract time or come evaluation time. If anything create a new shooting percentage metric (which I agree should happen, you know my stance on the shitstorm that is FG%). But insofar as raw FG% I think it's unnecessary to change.

And Pritchslap adjusts for all of that too, as I'm sure you know.

GiantMetKnick
01-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Of course it should count. If players are actually worried about it affecting their FG %, they don't deserve to be on the court.

Moreover, NBA teams use pretty advanced statistical analysis. I'm sure when they are evaluating free agents and the like, they do not count full and half court attempts. Same in football with interceptions... teams don't include hail mary picks when analyzing players.

15carlos21
01-03-2010, 08:34 PM
play for the name on the front of the jersey not the back

junion
01-03-2010, 08:50 PM
the shots should count. if they don't want to mess up their fg%, then don't shoot it. but if you hold back in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarters, and end up losing by 3 or less, then that one shot would have been one they feel like they would want to take.

if the player is too concerned with that one shot that he wouldn't want to take a risk, he's trying to play for his stats, not his team.

if you chuck a 3 from the other side in the last second to try to get a very low percentage shot, i don't think your coach would look down on it or anything. it's like a free shot. if you miss it, it doesn't matter, if you make it, you have 3 more points. i'm sure coaches would want their players to at least try it.

the reason why the shot after the foul doesn't count as a shot if you miss it, but counts as one if you make it is because you're fouled by the other team - it's not your fault. the shot at the end of the quarter should count because it's all on the player.

it should count it's a shot that goes off before the clock expired, it's a shot. weather it's at the end of the first, second, third, or fourth.

ThuglifeJ
01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
"Those guys would rather keep good stats than try to help their team get some points?
I think they should count."

whoever said that is right. I get what they're saying though.

INSTEAD we should stop pushing importance of stats as much...

Chronz
01-04-2010, 03:22 AM
You guys are overreacting this really isnt a big deal, and totally understandable.

Kyle N.
01-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Marv was against it.

Shame on Mike Fratello.