PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Arenas' Contract In Doubt?

TheKing23
01-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Link (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/01/wizards.arenas/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2','101)

Regardless of the details, though, Arenas could be in a world of trouble -- with the District and Federal governments, with the league and with the Wizards -- with the possibility, remote for now but still there, that the team could ultimately seek to void the remainder of his $111 million contract, signed in 2008.

Two sources indicated Friday that Washington, while not actively considering it at this time, would not shy away from at least having internal discussions about voiding the rest of Arenas's contract, which has three years and $67.7 million remaining on it after this season. The team has waited two-plus seasons for Arenas to return from three knee surgeries, and his numbers this season have been very good for someone who's been out of regular action since 2007: 22.7 points, a career-high 6.9 assists and 4.3 rebounds.

If Washington were to void Arenas's deal, it would suddenly become a player in the celebrated free agent class of 2010. Without Arenas's $17.7 million on the books next season, the Wizards would only have a little less than $38 million committed for the 2010-11 season, including a $2.27 million option Washington holds on the final year of Crittenton's contract. It must be stressed, however, that the team is currently planning to keep Arenas--pending whatever possible penalties he has to endure both from the local and/or state governments, and the NBA.

Could the recent gun incident be the final straw for Gilbert Arenas and the Washington Wizards?

They look as if they could be exploring the option to terminate the rest of his contract. Would this punishment be deserved? Or are the Wizards just looking for an easy way to rid themselves of his awful contract (4 years, $100 million) and this incident has given the Wizards a legitimate excuse to do that?

Alwaysballin247
01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
That is good for them....they don't want/need him so this way they can get out of a bad deal, his knee is not 100% and he is far from being the player he was. He brings it some nights but is awful the next...and with all the trade talk for butler and Jamison they will have tons of money for FA..but they have no shot at james since well he hates them ha

blazerman
01-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Im really not sure what kind of man Arenas is but he is in a position that everything he does is magnified a great deal and looks of people cheer for him because his athletic ability and kids love him because he is the guy that is living there dreams of a hoops star. He can still salvage everything he has worked for but he needs to do some damage control and take a look at whats important to him (family and personal well being) before things spiral completely out of control.

ink
01-02-2010, 04:53 PM
I'd be happy for the Wizards if they could get out from under that contract.

Ty Fast
01-02-2010, 05:41 PM
I'd be happy for the Wizards if they could get out from under that contract.

me too

29$JerZ
01-02-2010, 05:45 PM
It would definitely help the Wizards financially but they don't exactly have much options in 2010 when it comes to PG.I think Felton would be the only PG they could make an offer too if Gilbert was voided.

Tony_Starks
01-02-2010, 06:07 PM
According to his contract they could only terminate it if he's convicted of a felony over this incident. From what's being said now there was no gun pointing, or threats at all. Also I believe his guns are registered (no Plaxico). So if anything they'll probably be a big fine and suspension by the league but little to any legal consequences. Certainly not a felony.

C-ross12
01-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Terminate his contract? How can they do that? Is there something in his contract that has to do with guns or? I guess im kind of in the dark here. I'm pretty sure you simply cant void someones contract. Someone explain?

Dol-Fan
01-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Terminate his contract? How can they do that? Is there something in his contract that has to do with guns or? I guess im kind of in the dark here. I'm pretty sure you simply cant void someones contract. Someone explain?

it's a contract, meaning that there are stipulations both parties must abide by. I know some of those for players are restrictions from dangerous activities such as unsafe motorcycle riding, snowmobiling, etc. I would assume there are gun regulations in there and if the Wizards really wanted to they could appeal for a breach of contract.

Tony_Starks
01-02-2010, 06:31 PM
from hoopshype

"The language in the NBA's standard contract with players allows teams to void existing contracts if players engage in prohibited offseason activities, such as hang gliding and the like that are viewed as dangerous by the league, if players are convicted of or plead guilty to a felony crime, or if they engage in acts of "moral turpitude," generally defined as behavior that would be viewed as embarrassing for a company or employer if disclosed publicly."

"The NBA players union will fight the Washington Wizards or the NBA if either tries to void the contracts of two Wizards players who are alleged to have pulled guns on each other before a recent practice.

"They can attempt to take any action they want, but if it contradicts or violates the collective bargaining agreement, then we will litigate over that," Billy Hunter, the NBA Players Association executive director, told the Daily News Saturday. "There's no question we'd litigate."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/01/02/2010-01-02_nba_players_union_will_fight.html#ixzz0bUrqhgPu

StevenU2009
01-02-2010, 06:33 PM
29 cent jersey-love the picture!
The Wizards would be incredibly wise to dump both of these gun toting players immediately-then the league and the police can sort out the rest. It would be both a financial coup and a PR one at the same time. This is the same franchise whose owner changed the name after witnessing violence in the middle east because he felt that gun violence was so abhorrent. Honor Abe Pollen and cut Arenas loose.
Besides this team is going nowhere fast with or without Arenas; might as well save the $

BkOriginalOne
01-02-2010, 06:43 PM
They should try to do it considering there is no way that thy got, or will get their money's worth over the next three years. Wiz are not wining a playoff series anytime soon.
I'd let him Walk or S&T in a John Wall deal.

Then they can max out Bosh, Amare or someone like that.

StevenU2009
01-02-2010, 06:52 PM
I am sorry but that is SO lame of Billy Hunter-not at all surprising but lame nonetheless. That's why unions are at the heart of America's financial and cultural problems. The guy will fight tooth and nail for these guys? Multi million dollar professional athletes who draw weapons on each other in the locker room!!!??? WTF! let me repeat-WTF! Whatever happened to standing up for what's right? Like, if a player is wronged by his team then fight for him-and if the player carries a gun into the arena and points at at a PERSON-fire his dumb ***. I mean...I was incredulous that the Lakers put 140 million guaranteed dollars on the table for Kobe while he was awaiting trial on a rape charge-but hey-that's Kobe (or so the reasoning must have gone, I guess). Whereas, this guy Arenas is a LOSER-on and off the court, and he just gave them a good reason to void his contract. Is there not standard language in all the contracts that covers "conduct detrimental to the team or to the league, that sort of thing? Is it in the teams interest? I find it utterly unbelievable that anyone would take his side in this. Shameful.

thedfactor
01-02-2010, 06:56 PM
This would be excellent news for the Wizards organization. They probably are supporting the decision. Gilbert is not close to the worth of his contract. The guy has talent, but not what people thought after the season he averaged 29 per. He needs a wake up call and this is it.