PDA

View Full Version : The Trade that killed two careers.

D_Rose1118
01-01-2010, 05:49 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/trade_040629.html

Orlando trades Tracy McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines to Houston for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato

Such a shame that this trade was the killer for two potential hall of famers careers.

What was it that made Francis and Mcgrady's careers go down the drain so fast?

smith&wesson
01-01-2010, 05:57 PM
injuries,

and steve francis really started going down hill in new york. being on the knicks alone can kill your career, just ask eddy curry, marbury and yes stevie franchise.

blazerman
01-01-2010, 06:03 PM
I think when McGrady and Francis became diva's that it caused so much stress on they're bodies that they began to break physically.:smoking:

Diva status and Injuries were the cause to they're downfall.

ManRam
01-01-2010, 06:07 PM
McGrady's high minutes in Orlando, no respect for his body, his reckless play...all of which were great in that he gave everything he had, but terrible because his body got destroyed. He sacrificed his body like Iverson always gets credit for. His body get destroyed in Orlando.

JordansBulls
01-01-2010, 06:32 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/trade_040629.html

Such a shame that this trade was the killer for two potential hall of famers careers.

What was it that made Francis and Mcgrady's careers go down the drain so fast?

It killed Francis's career not Tmac's.

Knucklz
01-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Francis fell off way harder than T-Mac, "Stevie Franchise" used to be so good...how the times change. I wonder what athlete today will fall off like that

uncleben989
01-02-2010, 01:01 AM
good for steve francis, serves him right for ditchin vancouver, kinda ironic his allstar career was as long as the grizzlies stay in vancouver

still1ballin
01-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Where is Francis btw? Is he retired?

Tymer
01-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Where is Francis btw? Is he retired?

Free Agent he was on the Grizz last season

D_Rose1118
01-02-2010, 01:26 AM
sucks man

stevie was one of my favorite players when he was playing

BradyIsTheMan12
01-02-2010, 01:47 AM
It would be cool if T-mac turned it around he seems like a pretty cool guy, his injuries have been killing his career

Trouble87
01-02-2010, 01:58 AM
as soon as I saw the title I thought of this Francis for McGrady trade

I remember having both issues of slam with them in their new jerseys... I remember thinking how strange Stevie looked in the Magic uniform

AIsixersFK
01-02-2010, 02:02 AM

I remember having both issues of slam with them in their new jerseys... I remember thinking how strange Stevie looked in the Magic uniform

i thought the exact same thing

ldc62
01-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Tmac still played great for 2 more years with the rockets....

JasonJohnHorn
01-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Francis player very well in Orlando as far as I remember, he just had some issues with the coach and when that happened they moved him instead of working things out and it was the trade to New York that killed his career. New York tried playing Marbury and Francis (who play the same position), and it just didn't work (not that anybody but Isiaih Thoams thought it would). Francis saw not only his minutes drop, but his ball-in-hand time drop.

Nobody ran the pick-and-roll with Yao more effectively than Francis did and even when Yao was getting fewer minutes a game in his first couple of seasons the Rockets still made the playoffs and gave LA three close games in the first round (when it was best of five) and likely would have swept the series if the officials bothered calling the games even (Shaw and Malone both got away with so many fouls in that series and Kobe got on the line a lot with phantom fouls). In Orlando Francis still played well, but alongside Marbury? But the thing that hurt Francis was the he was a scoring point guard and scoring point guards don't win titles, so teams are reluctant to build around such players. Francis, Iverson, Areanas, Marbury. The only one that ever made a serious run at a title was AI.

As for McGrady, he's been slowed by injury and ego. The season after the Francis trade the Rockets missed the playoffs, which means to me that the trade put them back, not forward. Had T-Mac stayed in Toronto that team would have been bomb, if he has stayed in Orlando, he would have been playing with Dwight Howard. He always moves when things don't come quickly and his lack of patience has hurt his career.

_Supreme_
01-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Francis fell off way harder than T-Mac, "Stevie Franchise" used to be so good...how the times change. I wonder what athlete today will fall off like that

Derrick Rose still keeps giving me the Stevie McMarbury vibe, so I would not be surprised if he will be the one.

_Supreme_
01-02-2010, 02:37 PM
if he has stayed in Orlando, he would have been playing with Dwight Howard. He always moves when things don't come quickly and his lack of patience has hurt his career.

I expect him to sign with Orlando next season (for the MLE) and still play with Dwight.

pg - Nelson
sg - Carter
sf - Tmac
pf - Lewis
c - :superman:

Looks good to me.

Chronz
01-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Francis player very well in Orlando as far as I remember, he just had some issues with the coach and when that happened they moved him instead of working things out and it was the trade to New York that killed his career. New York tried playing Marbury and Francis (who play the same position), and it just didn't work (not that anybody but Isiaih Thoams thought it would). Francis saw not only his minutes drop, but his ball-in-hand time drop.

Nobody ran the pick-and-roll with Yao more effectively than Francis did and even when Yao was getting fewer minutes a game in his first couple of seasons the Rockets still made the playoffs and gave LA three close games in the first round (when it was best of five) and likely would have swept the series if the officials bothered calling the games even (Shaw and Malone both got away with so many fouls in that series and Kobe got on the line a lot with phantom fouls). In Orlando Francis still played well, but alongside Marbury? But the thing that hurt Francis was the he was a scoring point guard and scoring point guards don't win titles, so teams are reluctant to build around such players. Francis, Iverson, Areanas, Marbury. The only one that ever made a serious run at a title was AI.

As for McGrady, he's been slowed by injury and ego. The season after the Francis trade the Rockets missed the playoffs, which means to me that the trade put them back, not forward. Had T-Mac stayed in Toronto that team would have been bomb, if he has stayed in Orlando, he would have been playing with Dwight Howard. He always moves when things don't come quickly and his lack of patience has hurt his career.

Except for the fact that they IMPROVED with Tmac's addition, from 45 wins to 51 or so, and they did so despite the fact that outside of Francis/Tmac Yao the team regressed.

Oh and Francis started sucking in Orlando, couldnt play next to a post player AGAIN and was traded for those very reasons, that and he had a propensity for running out the shot clock, couldnt run an offense.

yanksrock
01-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Same here.

IDB Josh M
01-02-2010, 04:31 PM
I remember when the Lakers faced the Rockets in 2004. Francis hit a clutch shot that gave Houston the lead and then he pulled his jersey to the side to show off his man-boob. I just thought ...

"What a *******!"

nicssin
01-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Francis's career was going downhill before the trade happened. I remember a lot of people in Houston surprised the trade went down because we didn't think the Rockets could get that good value for them. The one thing the trade did do for the Rockets was get rid of that terrible Kelvin Cato contract

What derailed T-Mac was injuries, not being on the Rockets

PrettyBoyJ
01-03-2010, 04:23 AM
Steve Francis was a good player but relied on his althectisim and didn't have any pure fundementals and skill.. Mcgrady jus had a banged up body and waited too long to get surgery prob makin his injuries worst and the recoverig process even harder

CurryisCheddd
01-03-2010, 05:11 AM
Steve Francis WAS THE FUTURE. but nnoww he suckss