PDA

View Full Version : Hawks to protest Cavs win over shot clock mishap

Raps18-19 Champ
12-31-2009, 01:07 PM
They sure would like an explanation as to why their team was the victim of an egregious shot-clock malfunction that prompted coach Mike Woodson to announce that the Hawks would file an official protest with the league office over their 106-101 loss to Cleveland on Wednesday night.

To review: Atlanta was ahead 99-98 when the Cavs missed a shot in the lane with about 16 seconds remaining on the shot clock. But the shot clock did not reset, and by the time point guard Mike Bibby dribbled upcourt and looked at the clock, it was ticking close to zero. Bibby passed the ball to Josh Smith in the lane, he had it stolen by LeBron James, and the Cavs came downcourt and scored for a 100-99 lead.

Woodson was apoplectic, arguing his case vociferously to the referees while also screaming angrily at the 24-second clock operator. But to no avail.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-091230/daily-dime

I think they should re do it from the 2 minute mark and play from there in their next meeting.

Just like when the Hawks and Heat replayed it when they called 6 fouls on Shaq when he had 5.

But I know people will obviously blame this on Lebron calling it cheating. The refs made a mistake. Plain and simple. The right thing is to give the Hawks another chance but it isn't right that you people are going to blame Lebron for it.

SchyGuy11
12-31-2009, 01:11 PM
i'd like to see that happen. NBA refs suck so its only fair

Kakaroach
12-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah that was the weirdest thing I've seen on an NBA court in a while. Might have cost the Hawks the game.

Cool007
12-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Anyone's got a vid?

ManRam
12-31-2009, 02:09 PM
I don't think any of the Hawks players were aware really. They turned it over before it would have gone off prematurely anyways. I'm sure if it did go off, the refs would have noticed. I don't think it effected anything.

The Hawks can't blame the game on that.

And to the OP: LeBron gets a ton of ****, but if anyone blames him for cheating after this, that's taking it to an all time low. It wasn't even the refs really. It was just the guy running the clock.

RaptorsFanatic
12-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkMV2MnxQaM

The Hawks got cheated, this is so bad on the clock keeper's part. That honestly tarnished some respect of the officials and a little bit of Cleveland's arena staff in my eyes.

Terrible. I officially hate the Cavaliers (not solely because of this)

madiaz3
12-31-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't think any of the Hawks players were aware really. They turned it over before it would have gone off prematurely anyways. I'm sure if it did go off, the refs would have noticed. I don't think it effected anything.

And to the OP: LeBron gets a ton of ****, but if anyone blames him for cheating after this, that's taking it to an all time low. It wasn't even the refs really. It was just the guy running the clock.

Most players tend to want to get a good look before chucking the ball as time expires. You pass faster and with greater risk when time is winding down. But they should not have had to.

RaptorsFanatic
12-31-2009, 02:17 PM

Umm dude, I think Bibby probably looked at the clock, and as a player (from my experience) when you see the shot clock ticking down, it's instinct to make some sort of play, which could result in a turnover and that's what happened. Bibby was forced to make a play, if there was 24 seconds the chances of that happening were much lower.

Who knows, that shot clock fiasco could have resulted in a win. Anything could have happened, a three pointer, maybe even a four point play....we will never know.

ink
12-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Maybe it's just karmic payback for all the shot clocks "malfunctions" that have happened in Atlanta. It's kind of funny to hear the Hawks complaining. I can think of a couple of examples with the Raptors when their shot clock conveniently lost time in a close game or when points were not noted properly and it decided the outcome of a game.

Anyone remember this in Atlanta? Happened in Nov, 2006.

Earlier this week, the Toronto Raptors were robbed. The Atlanta Hawks scorekeeper failed to count two point in the trailing minutes of a game, which resulted in the score being 95-93 instead of tied 95-95 in the last seconds. This forced the Raptors to foul the Hawks and lose the game 97-93. The league has decided that the basket never occured and won't even give the Raptor's T.J. Ford his deserved two points. Further, the error was known to have occured during the game and the scorekeeper, who works for the Atlanta Hawks, was approached with the issue and refused to change the score. Isn't this the definition of cheating?

ManRam
12-31-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't know. Smith obviously didn't see it. I have my doubts Bibby did. I don't think players look at the shot clock 4 seconds into the possession.

Anything could have happened, but they still turned it over. I feel bad for them, but I am not convinced they were effected by it, and they got outscored 54-37 in the seconds half. They had this game won...they blew it more than anything else. One play should effect the game if you are up 64-52 at half.

The league wont give them a do over. And if I remember correctly, Atlanta has benefited from this type of stuff a few times this year.

RaptorsFanatic
12-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Maybe it's just karmic payback for all the shot clocks "malfunctions" that have happened in Atlanta. It's kind of funny to hear the Hawks complaining. I can think of a couple of examples with the Raptors when their shot clock conveniently lost time in a close game or when points were not noted properly and it decided the outcome of a game.

+1. I remember brotha, I remember.

IDB Josh M
12-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Never put yourself in a position where one play decides whether you win or lose.

xbrackattackx
12-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Lebron did it! He ran over there and stopped it than hopped back in the game has to be his fault.

"I SEEENTTT IT I SEEENTT IT"

Mavrix
12-31-2009, 03:14 PM
This protest should def be granted.

Raph12
12-31-2009, 03:14 PM
The game had meaning, so I could understand why they'd be angry with what happened, but if Woodson had realized that the clock had lost time, he should've called a timeout and talked to the refs about it.

Don't think they'll change the outcome of the game.

kobebabe
12-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Classic example of gambling scheme in NBA! Someone won some huge bucks for this:speechless:

ink
12-31-2009, 03:32 PM
The game had meaning ...

Doesn't every game have meaning? Every win or loss adds up right?

NetsPaint
12-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Just because something wrong happened doesn't mean the Cavs wouldn't have won.

They should have a minute and something game to decide the outcome.

J_M_B
12-31-2009, 03:56 PM
They should've let the shot clock go off..

The refs would have noticed and corrected the issue

Raps18-19 Champ
12-31-2009, 04:17 PM

Exactly.

But people are going to say things like "The refs did that so the Cavs could win" or "If it wasn't the Cavs, that wouldn't have happened."

People need to get over themselves and stop blaming Lebron for every thing that goes wrong.

Like what happened during Christmas day. It's Lebron's fault. Even if the referees were favouring Lebron, what did Lebron do? It's not like he told the refs to give him every call.

MegaFauna
12-31-2009, 04:24 PM
i can't believe LeBron! always finding new ways to cheat!

ManRam
12-31-2009, 04:26 PM
They should've let the shot clock go off..

The refs would have noticed and corrected the issue

There was so much they could have done about it. Woodson could have gotten the refs attention, a player could have gotten the refs attention, could have let it run out to get its attention...anything. Instead, they turned it over before it went off. I don't feel bad for Atlanta at all.

shizzle09
12-31-2009, 04:33 PM
didnt they redo a Heat game a while back for something like this? Dont think it was shot clock related but i remember a game being played from the protest point.

Raph12
12-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Doesn't every game have meaning? Every win or loss adds up right?

If the Nets are playing the Sixers, doubt it will mean much, the fact that two of the East's 4 powerhouses were battling for HCA it meant more.

prodigy
12-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Josh Smith turned the ball over anyways.

Also, the game was tied back up after that and they had chances to take the lead and failed. So forget them.

BADKNEES
12-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Simply a case of one rogue clock operator and nothing else.

td0tsfinest
12-31-2009, 08:33 PM
When they did the Redo for the heat game was Shaq already traded. I forgot.

BlondeBomber41
01-01-2010, 12:25 AM
They should definently replay the last two minutes. Bibby obviously forced things when he saw it running down. It was in the last two minutes, do you people really think he would all of a sudden hurry into a pick in roll if there was still 8 more seconds left to shoot and his team up?

lakersfan211
01-01-2010, 03:10 AM
the cavs cheating wow , they will never cheat their way to a championship and that entire city will be mourning brons departure next season .

RaptorizedKevin
01-01-2010, 03:29 AM
i remember a couple years back the hawks scorekeeper didnt put up two points. so thats juss karma for them AHAHA

Fool
01-01-2010, 03:17 PM

no, it wasn't the refs, but why didn't they do anything about it?

mjt20mik
01-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Karma sucks. :)