PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the H.O.F: The Inner Circle

Chronz
12-30-2009, 06:43 AM
With Bills Simmon's recent Pyramid concept in his Book of Basketball, and BBR.com doing their own HOF remake, I figured PSD should weigh in on the matter. Without wasting too much time on the why (HOF is a joke, we should all agree on this, we NEED HOF tiers), Id like to introduce the basic principles to naming an Inner Circle HOF'er:
Winning+Stats+Recognition=Creme de la creme *

* Only ShotClock Era Eligible

These are easy to assess

Statistical Requirements: Player must have maintained a decade long PEAK. Use any statistical breakdown you wish
Winning Requirements: During that peak must have won a Finals as the teams 1st or 2nd best player, or place on a runner-up team (as its best player). Tally the # of times this holds true
Recognition Requirement: All-NBA Team + MVP RANKS + All-Star Games. Ideally these will serve as the rubber match between a close comparison.

Keep in mind the Inner Circle should comprise of a 12-Man unit.

Here are some names just to get the ball moving.

Cousy, Bill Russell, Bob Pettit, Dolph Schayes, Elgin, Wilt, Big O, Jerry West, Kareem, Hondo, Hayes, Cowens, Barkley, Bird, Magic, Dr J, Moses, Stockton, Malone, Dream, Drexler, Shaq, Ewing, D-Rob, Pippen

Who makes the cut, Who misses out?

rawz
12-30-2009, 08:09 AM
With Bills Simmon's recent Pyramid concept in his Book of Basketball, and BBR.com doing their own HOF remake, I figured PSD should weigh in on the matter. Without wasting too much time on the why (HOF is a joke, we should all agree on this, we NEED HOF tiers), Id like to introduce the basic principles to naming an Inner Circle HOF'er:
Winning+Stats+Recognition=Creme de la creme *

* Only ShotClock Era Eligible

These are easy to assess

Statistical Requirements: Player must have maintained a decade long PEAK. Use any statistical breakdown you wish
Winning Requirements: During that peak must have won a Finals as the teams 1st or 2nd best player, or place on a runner-up team (as its best player). Tally the # of times this holds true
Recognition Requirement: All-NBA Team + MVP RANKS + All-Star Games. Ideally these will serve as the rubber match between a close comparison.

Keep in mind the Inner Circle should comprise of a 12-Man unit.

Here are some names just to get the ball moving.

Cousy, Bill Russell, Bob Pettit, Dolph Schayes, Elgin, Wilt, Big O, Jerry West, Kareem, Hondo, Hayes, Cowens, Barkley, Bird, Magic, Dr J, Moses, Stockton, Malone, Dream, Drexler, Shaq, Ewing, D-Rob, Pippen

Who makes the cut, Who misses out?

Where is jordan on your list? i dont see jordan... someone tell me were jordan is... im starting to freak out...

where is jordan!!??!?!

Raph12
12-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Where is jordan on your list? i dont see jordan... someone tell me were jordan is... im starting to freak out...

where is jordan!!??!?!

Maybe Jordan's a given? :shrug:

GodsSon
12-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Agreed...the current HOF system is too lenient and allows career "good" players in when only those considered "great" should have a shot IMO

Hellcrooner
12-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Ok lets go with your hated one.
* Statistical Requirements: Player must have maintained a decade long PEAK. Use any statistical breakdown you wish:
Yes he has been consistent on his stats for a decade
* Winning Requirements: During that peak must have won a Finals as the teams 1st or 2nd best player, or place on a runner-up team (as its best player). Tally the # of times this holds true:

Yes has won a finals as teams second dude.

* Recognition Requirement: All-NBA Team + MVP RANKS + All-Star Games. Ideally these will serve as the rubber match between a close comparison.
Yes he has been on the all star last eyar made third team and will probabl make one of the teams this year.

so with thsi system oemonelike Pau gets in too.

So whats the big improvement?

and by the way mr simmons sould instead ask for an NBA hall of fame since its BASKETBALLS hall of fame so wnba counts, ncaa counts, fiba counts etc etc

Hellcrooner
12-30-2009, 11:35 AM
oj and the idea that only 12 men make the Hof is absolutley stupid.

1st you cant compare eras.

2 some positions like center are overstacked you cant come down to just 2 or 3 guys withouth discussion

KnicksorBust
12-30-2009, 12:47 PM

Jordan, Duncan, Kobe