PDA

View Full Version : Hot 3PT Shooting, NBA's answer to a hot pitcher?

Chronz
12-30-2009, 04:59 AM
You know how they say any MLB team can win in the post season if the right pitchers catch fire at the right time. Does anyone think basketball works that way at all?

Last years Magic illustrate this point, the Cavs were the best at defending the 3 all year, they were among the best at defending post players all year, yet the Magic scorched them at both aspects. The Magics torrid shooting began in the Celtics series only to flame out against the Lakers. From G5 of the Magic series till the end of the Cavs series the Magic shot above 40%. Did the Cavs allow too many open looks? Probably but even with open looks, 40% is ridiculous.

The Most Glaring example of hot shooting totally leveling the playing field

The 2001 Lakers that swept everyone:
They shot (32-72 from 3's)(44%) in their sweep of the Spurs, followed up by 36-75 (.480) in the Finals - a .463 average for a team that shot the 3 at just .344 over the course of the regular season. The Lakers win the title anyways, but cmon that was a ridiculous run. That Spurs series shouldve been a slugout instead it was total pwnage.

What do you make of these instances, a result of luck or a concentrated effort to execute the gameplan to absolute perfection? Were the Lakers of 01 really that good or did they get hot at the perfect time? Comparable to pitchers or not?

kblo247
12-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Good point as the 3 ball can kill you if you miss too many or your opponents if they rely on the 2 and you constantly hit.

That and Kwame dropping a rebound was what killed LA in a nut shell in 06, but looking back to the 01 Lakers you have to remember that Fisher got hurt early so his legs were fresher than everyone and he made teams pay and LA a better 3 point shooting group than they were with just Horry, Fox, and Shaw.

Fisher was the definition of infeugo iirc that post season

So in short I think it is a combination of guys getting hot and the fact that just like in baseball where you don't pitch the same pitch to a slugger, you don't run off or challenge a 3 point gunner the same time after time.

Chronz
12-30-2009, 06:52 AM
Id rather think its less flukish and more a result of a players doing, but I know Ive seen alot of games where the team that tried harder didnt win as a result of the opposing team draining contested jumpers or making EVERY open shot. I hated watching the Magic win in the playoffs last year against the C's and Cavs for those very reasons. I just felt they wouldnt be able to sustain that performance, and that the Cavs wouldve put up more of a fight, even if their shots arent falling they can still be in the game.

Raph12
12-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Living and dying by the 3 is something the Magic do too much of this year. Last year they went to Dwight a lot more, after he established his presence in the paint on offense, they burned teams with the open look 3s.

This season it looks like they just try to outshoot the opposing team, with no regard as to getting Dwight involved. This has really cost them and they are chucking at a rapid rate, not shooting anywhere near the percentages they were last season. If they don't get Dwight more involved, they will get run over by the elite teams and critics will be pleased to know that they were right about the Magic being a one-hit wonder.

JordansBulls
12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
You know how they say any MLB team can win in the post season if the right pitchers catch fire at the right time. Does anyone think basketball works that way at all?

Last years Magic illustrate this point, the Cavs were the best at defending the 3 all year, they were among the best at defending post players all year, yet the Magic scorched them at both aspects. The Magics torrid shooting began in the Celtics series only to flame out against the Lakers. From G5 of the Magic series till the end of the Cavs series the Magic shot above 40%. Did the Cavs allow too many open looks? Probably but even with open looks, 40% is ridiculous.

The Most Glaring example of hot shooting totally leveling the playing field

The 2001 Lakers that swept everyone:
They shot (32-72 from 3's)(44%) in their sweep of the Spurs, followed up by 36-75 (.480) in the Finals - a .463 average for a team that shot the 3 at just .344 over the course of the regular season. The Lakers win the title anyways, but cmon that was a ridiculous run. That Spurs series shouldve been a slugout instead it was total pwnage.

What do you make of these instances, a result of luck or a concentrated effort to execute the gameplan to absolute perfection? Were the Lakers of 01 really that good or did they get hot at the perfect time? Comparable to pitchers or not?

Well what helped is that they had two guys on the team that could command double teams which left shooters open for the most part. The Magic this year can actually have that as well.

Raph12
12-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Well what helped is that they had two guys on the team that could command double teams which left shooters open for the most part. The Magic this year can actually have that as well.

They don't get Howard involved enough for it to be like the Shaq-Kobe era.

And no I'm not saying Dwight is as good as prime Shaq and I'm not saying 32 yr old VC is as good as 22 yr old Kobe.

Kakaroach
12-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Everyone knows the 3-pointer is the game-changer. I think it could be right, but maybe certain individuals, prolly not a whole team that can get hot all at once.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-30-2009, 01:17 PM
I remember when the Raps were good in 3 point shooting.

We won our division then.

Chronz
12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
True, but didnt those same players command double teams in the regular season as well? Why the sudden explosion against 2 of the seasons better defensive teams?

DerekRE_3
12-30-2009, 04:04 PM
I've seen 3 point shooting even out teams before. The most recent example was when the Kings beat the Utah Jazz at home earlier this year. The Jazz are tough at home and obviously have more talent than the Kings do, but Jerry Sloan let us shoot 3's, and we went 11-19 while they went 5-15. We won the game.

SteveNash
12-30-2009, 04:24 PM
No, a pitcher (or a goalkeeper) is far more valuable as they can be consistent and totally kill a teams offense.

Cleveland did a poor job defending the three which just goes to show how overrated season stats are.