PDA

View Full Version : If OKC Acquire T-Mac; Can They Reach The WCF?

Fresno
12-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Who knows how realistic a chance of a deal going down between OKC & Houston is but I've seen OKC mentioned as a possible destination for T-Mac.

A logical scenario:
Houston: Matt Harpring's expirer, Etan Thomas' expirer, Nick Collison, Phoenix 1st Round Pick
OKC: T-Mac, Chuck Hayes

With the right mix of a young talented team looking to make an impact with a former All Star still trying to reach Playoff success, could OKC become a Playoff sleeper? T-Mac is still trying to get past the 1st Round as an active player but if on a team where he isn't the #1 option maybe it would happen.

PG: Westbrook
SG: T-Mac
SF: Durant
PF: Green
C: Kristic

Watching T-Mac take Durant under his wing and help him would be amazing to watch. I think Durant is going to take his game to the Elite level come Playoff time.

Mavrix
12-29-2009, 10:22 PM
yeahhhhhhhhhno.

ChiSox219
12-29-2009, 10:23 PM
No

They are better off starting Thabo.

Ray_R
12-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Maybe in his prime but notnow.

st3voness
12-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Who knows how realistic a chance of a deal going down between OKC & Houston is but I've seen OKC mentioned as a possible destination for T-Mac.

A logical scenario:
Houston: Matt Harpring's expirer, Etan Thomas' expirer, Nick Collison, Phoenix 1st Round Pick

With the right mix of a young talented team looking to make an impact with a former All Star still trying to reach Playoff success, could OKC become a Playoff sleeper? T-Mac is still trying to get past the 1st Round as an active player but if on a team where he isn't the #1 option maybe it would happen.

Watching T-Mac take Durant under his wing and help him would be amazing to watch. I think Durant is going to take his game to the Elite level come Playoff time.

They'd definitely be improved, but no.

And we all know how what happens to Tracy McGrady's team in playoffs when he's on the floor...

Mavrix
12-29-2009, 10:25 PM
They wouldn't make it out of the first round if they made the playoffs.

Fresno
12-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Maybe in his prime but notnow.

Even now he still can give a team 17/5/5. He was doing so with Houston last season with basically 1 arm before he had to have surgery again.

BradyIsTheMan12
12-29-2009, 10:39 PM
OKC won't make the playoffs no matter what but getting McGrady doesn't help, he's finished.

Verbal Christ
12-29-2009, 10:40 PM
chuck hayes is so much better than etan thomas it isnt even funny.

ManRam
12-29-2009, 10:40 PM
No. I think if he still had that much left in him, Hou wouldn't be so eager to move him.

dsickich123
12-29-2009, 10:42 PM
As a thunder fan...I hope this deal does not happen...Presti has been rebuilding. doing a great job, and the process is working...this Thunder team will not be kept out of the playoffs long with the pieces they have now. They have a chance to make the playoffs this year, and in the future years they are only going to grow as a team and get increasingly better. For Presti to trade for Tmac (after he aquired the young SG's of Harden and Sefelosha) would be taking away a lot of the re-building process that he has done so far. This team is great as is, and with their two first round picks in next years draft, and the better play of the young players as they mature in the future into their prime, watch out. This team needs to keep adding young talent, and growing together. Please Presti...Please...no Tmac...you are better than that.

Verbal Christ
12-29-2009, 10:43 PM
No. I think if he still had that much left in him, Hou wouldn't be so eager to move him.

who said houston was eager to move him? last i checked it was mac who requested a trade, the rockets said they 'would try' ... just sayin'

_KB24_
12-29-2009, 10:44 PM
No, the Tmac effect would stop them from getting past the first round.....

dsickich123
12-29-2009, 10:47 PM
On the other hand...the Thunder are not giving much up in this trade scenario...so maybe Presti would swing this deal. But more for Chuck Hayes than Tmac (we would be getting an upgrade from Collison to Chuck HAyes). Tmac would not (and should not) start if this trade does happen, this would be more for tmac to teach Harden and Durant with veteran leadership. He could improve the play of Durant and Harden. But, he is not worth starting and should not get much playing time. It all depends on the size of Tmacs conrtact, whether or not this would be a good deal for Presti and the Thunder.

Derick713
12-29-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't see the Rockets wanting McGrady in the West. I think the Knicks are the favorite to land him if they include someone like Wilson Chandler.

nuggetsyankees
12-29-2009, 10:53 PM
that deal would mess with james harden's development

Jays Claw
12-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Why ruin a young team by adding a always injured, overpaid and unsuccessful player? :eyebrow:

king4day
12-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Houston is desperate to off T-Mac. The Thunder would be idiotic if they threw in the Suns 1st rounder.

blackjack_119
12-29-2009, 11:06 PM
I don't see the Rockets wanting McGrady in the West. I think the Knicks are the favorite to land him if they include someone like Wilson Chandler.

Because Wilson Chandler is that 3rd SF that the team needs behind Battier and Ariza.:eyebrow: I think they have SF on lockdown.

king4day
12-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Why ruin a young team by adding a always injured, overpaid and unsuccessful player? :eyebrow:

The only logic I see is using the extra cap space to lure in someone like Amar'e or Bosh.

ChiSox219
12-29-2009, 11:07 PM
As a thunder fan...I hope this deal does not happen...Presti has been rebuilding. doing a great job, and the process is working...this Thunder team will not be kept out of the playoffs long with the pieces they have now. They have a chance to make the playoffs this year, and in the future years they are only going to grow as a team and get increasingly better. For Presti to trade for Tmac (after he aquired the young SG's of Harden and Sefelosha) would be taking away a lot of the re-building process that he has done so far. This team is great as is, and with their two first round picks in next years draft, and the better play of the young players as they mature in the future into their prime, watch out. This team needs to keep adding young talent, and growing together. Please Presti...Please...no Tmac...you are better than that.

Amen.

Thabo is a much better complement to Durant/Westbrook than McGrady in. Add in they have a great young talent in Harden to provide offense at the 2 spot and there's no reason to acquire McGrady.

I believe the Thunder would be worse with McGrady in their rotation.

Fresno
12-29-2009, 11:12 PM

Because T-Mac is an expirer and it would be an experiment that wouldn't damage their future.

Fresno
12-29-2009, 11:14 PM

:rolleyes:

Yeah by throwing in Nate Robinson, Jared Jeffries, and Eddy Curry to have the contracts to make the deal work.

Houston as far as I know is still trying to add another piece to their team via Free Agency in 2010, I highly doubt they will move T-Mac and take on horrible contracts to do so. If they move T-Mac it would make sense to take on only expirers, if not they can always buy T-Mac out.

dev0
12-29-2009, 11:28 PM
western conference finals implies they have to beat either the Lakers, Spurs or Mavs... IN THE PLAYOFFS which i cannot see happening over a seven game series. even with TMAC and even if such an acquisition didnt blow up in their faces

Jays Claw
12-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Because T-Mac is an expirer and it would be an experiment that wouldn't damage their future.

That's true Fresno. However, it would damage their progress this season.

They have something working in Oklahoma City and in my opinion, they shouldn't ruin it with risky experiments.

SA5195
12-29-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't think T-Mac won't help them in anything. He's done

jimbobjarree
12-29-2009, 11:46 PM
lol no, they need a big man...and why take minutes away from harden and green...and shots away from durant?

b_rad23
12-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Because that's what Houston's looking for...

Crappy bigs w/o potential and a mid 20s draft pick.

Silent
12-29-2009, 11:54 PM
All they need is a big man and tehre set

cegielskijastro
12-30-2009, 12:05 AM
We would never get rid of Chuck Hayes... He's to valuable to the rocket's sucess... Tracy McGrady is just another Allen Iverson.. Cant see that he isnt good enough to be THE GUY.. The Rockets are such a better team with out him... he's going to be in for a big surprise next season when he has to sign with the Timberwolves or Nets or the MLE because no real NBA team is giong to want him...

icon1914
12-30-2009, 12:14 AM
The Rockets would never take that deal... they get nothing in return. Why trade for nothing more than expiring contracts and a mid to late 1st round pick? McGrady is an expiring... if they want to save cap room why not just buy him out?

I think the Rockets are looking for some young talent to go with with their developing core... sure they want to free up some dollars, but I think they are looking for more than simple relief, because Tracy McGrady already gives them that since he is in the last year of his deal.

twoearl
12-30-2009, 12:32 AM
this would be a terrible trade for OKC. Durant needs the ball as much as possible...

runforrestrunx9
12-30-2009, 12:36 AM
i think he could help, but not much, OKC does have sumthin brewing tho... they r guna be scary a year or 2 from now

td0tsfinest
12-30-2009, 12:37 AM
to be honest, I don't think the Rockets should even trade T-Mac.

The Team is playing really well right now, why disrupt that by bringing in some players.

But that's not even the biggest point, T-Mac is making the most out of any expiring contract this year. Meaning his $20 Million will come off the books for 2010, giving the Rockets ample money to go after a star or a couple of quality players.

LakersIn5
12-30-2009, 01:03 AM
why are people hating on tmac????? he is still better than most of the SGs in the league. he is still a top 20 sg

he is better than most of the starting SGs. everyone is blaming him for always getting injured... but that aint his fault!

Trevor Ariza
12-30-2009, 01:11 AM
lmfao thinking you guys would get Chuck Hayes. Obviously don't watch Rockets games.

Wizard of O's
12-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Rockets under no circumstance are trading Chuck Hayes. He's far out performing his contract and Morey is high on him.

Morey's not going to make a trade unless he gets something he really wants not just crap. Otherwise TMAC can sit at home and the Rockets can let his contract expire.

ManRam
12-30-2009, 01:25 AM
who said houston was eager to move him? last i checked it was mac who requested a trade, the rockets said they 'would try' ... just sayin'

Ok. Eager to not play him...

Which is a lot worse.

Stunner
12-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Jus do the Salmons and Miller 2n round pick for T-Mac trade and get it done. Face it Houston u are not going to get a young talent for T-Mac in this stage of his career plus its not helping u that u dont want to get him mins to boost his value.

Bulls

Rose
T-Mac
Deng
Thomas
Noah

Rockets

Brooks
Salmons
Ariza
Scola
Hayes or Miller your choice

I think its a fair trade.

blastmasta26
12-30-2009, 02:23 AM
They wouldn't go to the WCF with T-Mac, I think he can still contribute but not at a very high level. Really the Thunder should not look to make any moves this season except to acquire bench players like they did with Maynor. They should wait it out and use the offseason to get a starting center unless Ibaka breaks out.

BlondeBomber41
12-30-2009, 02:45 AM
McGrady wouldnt help them with what their problem is, an extremely weak frontcourt. Green is a good player and Krstic is solid but Green is a SF and Krstic is more of a bench player or a compliment to a great frontcourt partner who has a post game and defense. They aren't gonna beat anyone with a Krstic/Green frontcourt.

SchyGuy11
12-30-2009, 03:10 AM
they will make the playoffs and lose in the first round.

abe_froman
12-30-2009, 03:10 AM
The Rockets would never take that deal... they get nothing in return. Why trade for nothing more than expiring contracts and a mid to late 1st round pick? McGrady is an expiring... if they want to save cap room why not just buy him out?

I think the Rockets are looking for some young talent to go with with their developing core... sure they want to free up some dollars, but I think they are looking for more than simple relief, because Tracy McGrady already gives them that since he is in the last year of his deal.
the gm already said they wont buy him out

because no one will give them that,unless the young talent they're getting isnt that good.and the only way to get them what they're looking for is to showcase him,which they refuse to do.

so thats really the best the rockets can hope for.serviceable players and/or a swapping of expirings(so they'd be no worse off and at least get some production and depth for the rest of season).

chisox721
12-30-2009, 04:27 AM
I don't think its that bad of an idea if you have McGrady run with the second unit. Maynor, McGrady,Harden, Collison and Ibaka could be a very solid lineup to use in the 2nd quarter. Let McGrady and Harden get their shots up while the big three take a rest.

Bruno
12-30-2009, 04:34 AM
He would help their chances to get into the playoffs. They still don't have the size to beat a San Antonio, or the talent/depth to beat Denver.

Carey
12-30-2009, 12:22 PM
This would totally go against everything Presti has done since he took over. If we make a trade of that magnitude it will be for a productive big, we have enough swing men

Kakaroach
12-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah Presti wouldn't make this kind of move and he wouldn't be willing to give up any of his good young players for a one-year rental of T-Mac who hasn't even proved himself yet.

THE MTL
12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Tracy McGrady is no longer a star! iONO wat would be his importance with a team of Kevin Durant and also Jeff Green.

Jays Claw
12-30-2009, 03:02 PM
To be honest, I don't think the Rockets should even trade T-Mac.

The Team is playing really well right now, why disrupt that by bringing in some players?

But that's not even the biggest point, T-Mac is making the most out of any expiring contract this year. Meaning his $20 Million will come off the books for 2010, giving the Rockets ample money to go after a star or a couple of quality players.

Agreed.

Dee_Edge
12-30-2009, 03:17 PM
This will never happen...

Gibby23
12-30-2009, 03:18 PM
They can't trade Matt Harpring for 2 months in a package. He was traded on Dec 22nd and the deadline is Feb 18th, so they can't include him.

Dee_Edge
12-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Harpring's career is almost certainly over, and he's currently working as a commentator for NBATV. OKC gained an expiring contract, and Utah gets to slash his salary from their luxury tax.

JDizzle
12-30-2009, 03:42 PM
nah It would just delay a young team trying to improve.. stick with what yah got

Carey
12-30-2009, 04:45 PM
They can't trade Matt Harpring for 2 months in a package. He was traded on Dec 22nd and the deadline is Feb 18th, so they can't include him.

Teams under the salary cap are not bound by this rule, we could still flip Harpring's contract if someone becomes available that we like

sep11ie
12-30-2009, 05:02 PM
T-Mac take Durant under his wing????

He's not really considered a mentor, or a good teammate in any way.

aWiLL 20
12-30-2009, 11:55 PM
i would have to go with a no here.

homestarunner93
12-31-2009, 12:07 AM
Why would OKC want him? He would take a ton of touches away from Durant.

shizzle09
12-31-2009, 12:54 AM

A logical scenario:

how would Mcgrady help them? If OKC got Duncan, Howard or any elite center they could contend.

NANDOKNICK
12-31-2009, 01:01 AM
Thunder dont need TMAC

JordansBulls
12-31-2009, 09:25 AM

A logical scenario:

If Tmac is as good as he was in 2008 then yes.

Jays Claw
12-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Tracy McGrady is done people!

Fresno
01-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Tracy McGrady is done people!

Done as a NBA player?
Done as a #1 option on a team?

I think hes done as a #1 option but he always had a versatile game that didn't rely on his athletic ability, and I think he could probably play in this league for 5 years or more as a #3 option or as a 6th Man.

T-Mac still has good range and now that he isn't controlling the ball and taking contested shots you'll get to see him actually take set shots from 3. Hes always been a good passer and he grabs boards at a decent number, and he also has good handles for his size at 6'8 also.