PDA

View Full Version : Top Seed in the East: Boston, Cleveland, Orlando or Atlanta

JordansBulls
12-29-2009, 01:59 PM
ESPN Standings (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings?season=2010&group=conference&seasontype=2&standType=standings)

Boston 23 7 .767 -
Cleveland 24 8 .750 -
Orlando 22 8 .733 1
Atlanta 21 8 .724 1

For a while it seemed Boston would easily be the #1 seed, but now losing 2 in a row the Cavs, Magic and even Hawks are right with them.

Also the Hawks and Cavs play in back to back games in Cleveland and Atlanta.

Who will end up with the #1 seed in the East when it is all said and done?

Raph12
12-29-2009, 02:10 PM
I homer voted Orlando, but honestly speaking, this is up for grabs.

Up until this point, Orlando has had the most difficult schedule of all of the elite teams, they've been tested and their record has still looked good.

Boston's next 15 games will truly test them and we will be able to assess them more accurately.

Atlanta and Cleveland play one-another on back-to-backs tonight and tomorrow so we can see where they stand as well.

I will come back to this in February and make a thorough assessment of each of these teams with my rankings.

ATL2010
12-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Il say Celtics but its definitly up for the taking. I could see any of these four teams taking the #1 seed.

Gators123
12-29-2009, 02:20 PM
I still think its going to be the Celtics

TheKing23
12-29-2009, 02:21 PM
It's so hard to call at the moment... The Cavs are the hottest team in the league currently but Boston will be right back up there when Pierce returns. As good as Atlanta have been, I think they may struggle to keep up with the other three, but who knows... They have a young team so they stand a good chance of avoiding injury and making a push.

When it's all said and done, I think the Cavs and Celtics will be separated by a game or two and Orlando could be just behind them...

1. Cavs - 60+ wins
2. Celtics - 60+ wins
3. Magic - 57+ wins
4. Hawks - 50+ wins

jimbobjarree
12-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Celtdogs

KnicksorBust
12-29-2009, 02:30 PM
I think the Celtics will rest some of their vets toward the end of the season. I think the Cavs don't have the firepower outside of LeBron to keep it going all season. I think the Hawks are over-achieving right now. That leaves...

The Orlando Magic.

The Magic had a tough start to their schedule and haven't lost one game to a below .500 team since Rashard Lewis came back. They matchup well with any team and know how to beat the teams they need to be. They have four-all stars in their starting lineup! They're deep. They can't miss from three and have the most dominating big man in the league right now. I'll take Orlando all day.

prodigy
12-29-2009, 02:38 PM
IDK if i want my cavs to get the #1 seed. Rather be an underdog.

But all teams have huge Questions.

1. Can the Celtics stay healthy? They are really old, and starting to slow alittle. Garnett is not impressive at all anymore.

2. Magic- can Howard get more involved in the offense? Right now carter is ball hogging all day long. Nelson will help alot. But they gotta feed the big man more. Live by the 3 you die by the 3.

3. Cavs- Will they make a trade to get a PF or SG? IDK how much success they can have in the postseason with Hickson and Parker starting for them.

4. Atlanta- Can they hang with the big boys? This team has alot of talent, but how will they preform in big games? I need to see some proof.

Kakaroach
12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
I like the Celtics, their the easy pick. The other 3 will make a run though.

bigsams50
12-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Boston will win top seed, but Clev. Will win the east

ManRam
12-29-2009, 03:00 PM
I think it will be Cleveland again...but unless they make a big trade, they wont get passed Boston or Orlando again.

North Yorker
12-29-2009, 03:06 PM
I went with ATL.

They have no real weaknesses except lack of experience compared to the other 3 who have all appeared in the Finals the last few years.

Athletic, can defend, can shoot, their top 7 is pretty darn good imo.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Cavs because I think they make a trade that gets them some fire power behind Lebron.

FlakeyFool
12-29-2009, 03:19 PM
celtics

Slimsim
12-29-2009, 03:49 PM
If Cleveland Can trade for Al Harrington Then they are the favorites.

JordansBulls
12-29-2009, 04:36 PM
If I am the Cavs I wouldn't want the top seed nor best record again. I can't imagine going down 2 years in a row with the best record in the league and/or the top seed.

We already know they can hang with the big boys. They already won in Orlando and in LA this year.

RaysFan
12-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Cleveland just took it to Atlanta in Atlanta.

To me the basketball they have played over the last 10 days or so has been the best I have seen 1 team look all year without a doubt.

-They kill Phoenix at Phoenix
-They kill LA at LA
-They demolish a pretty decent Houston team
-They beat up on Atlanta in Atlanta

To me it seems like whenever they are in a big game, they dominate. Look at the beating they put on Orlando in Orlando earlier in the year. I think they were up by 20+ in that game before they pulled their starters.

I think Cleveland takes the #1 seed for sure because some of Boston's older players will either get injured or wear down as the year goes on. You already see that with Pierce and they have dropped 2 in a row to 2 bad teams.

JordansBulls
12-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Cleveland just took it to Atlanta in Atlanta.

To me the basketball they have played over the last 10 days or so has been the best I have seen 1 team look all year without a doubt.

-They kill Phoenix at Phoenix
-They kill LA at LA
-They demolish a pretty decent Houston team
-They beat up on Atlanta in Atlanta

To me it seems like whenever they are in a big game, they dominate. Look at the beating they put on Orlando in Orlando earlier in the year. I think they were up by 20+ in that game before they pulled their starters.

I think Cleveland takes the #1 seed for sure because some of Boston's older players will either get injured or wear down as the year goes on. You already see that with Pierce and they have dropped 2 in a row to 2 bad teams.

This is good for Cleveland this year because they are doing this on the road.

Actually the past few years the team that won the big games on the road ended up the champion.

Case in point. Boston in 2008 won the Texas Triangle in Texas. Beating Houston, San Antonio and Dallas.

LA in 2009 won in Boston and Cleveland on the same trip.

Looks like 2010 could be Cleveland after winning in Phoenix, LA, Atlanta. Or it could be Boston after winning in Cleveland and Orlando.

dev0
12-30-2009, 12:22 AM
i think the celtics can coast through the regular season and save it for the playoffs, they wont have the best record in the east it will be either Cavs or Magic, as of now i'm on the Cavs 10-for-11 bandwagon to turn it on and get the best record in the east in the reg season

JordansBulls
12-30-2009, 12:56 AM
i think the celtics can coast through the regular season and save it for the playoffs, they wont have the best record in the east it will be either Cavs or Magic, as of now i'm on the Cavs 10-for-11 bandwagon to turn it on and get the best record in the east in the reg season

For the Celtics I think playing the Magic in round 2 would be better than playing the Hawks in Round 2.

For the Cavs playing the Hawks in round 2 would be better than playing the Celtics or Magic in Round 2.

Da616
12-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Boston-too much firepower

JordansBulls
12-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Boston-too much firepower

Cavs and Magic do as well.

leftymo
12-30-2009, 02:50 PM
This could be the big storyline of this season.

Even the regular season winner might not be the favorite to come out of the east. They are that deep and interesting.

Right now I'd say Boston, but Cleveland and Orlando are right there. It may come down to health. Age also plays a big factor.

In the west its LA all the way. Even if they don't finish #1 they are still the team to beat and come out of the west.

leftymo
12-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Firepower? Orlando Magic no question
Defense and Experience? Boston Celtics no question
Wildcard? Cleveland Cavs. Probably the team that will need homecourt advantage to win a series.

G-Funk
12-30-2009, 03:48 PM
That's gonna be a hell of a Final 4 in the East.

Raph12
12-30-2009, 04:25 PM
That's gonna be a hell of a Final 4 in the East.

Unless there's an upset in the first round...

JordansBulls
12-30-2009, 04:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=4782632

"If I do decide to sit [Garnett], I'm not sitting him for one game. I can tell you that," Celtics coach Doc Rivers told Comcast Sportsnet. "I told Kevin that."

Rivers told Comcast that if he decided to sit Garnett, he would probably keep him out until about Jan. 6, when the Celtics face the Heat, or longer. He said he wasn't sure if that was the direction he was going to take with Garnett but that he was "leaning that way heavily."

"It's early in the season," Rivers told Comcast. "We got tonight and we got two days, and then we got three days after that. To me, if you're going to rest guys, this is the perfect time to do it."

It makes sense. Have him ready for the playoffs. It's not like they can't win on the road.

Looks like it may come down to Orlando and Cleveland for the #1 seed now.

FairWeatherFan?
12-30-2009, 05:06 PM
When all is said and done, it will either be Cleveland or Boston representing the east (provided that there are no major injuries). Orlando does not have the matchup advantages it had last year and they are still a live by the 3 die by the 3 team. In the games I have seen them play against supperior defenses, they tend to not hit their shots. In the end, basketball is a game played in the paint and with a few exceptions, the team with the better bigs almost always wins out.

Jonathan2323
12-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Unless there's an upset in the first round...

Miami Heat? I can see them upset someone.

Raph12
12-30-2009, 05:23 PM

That's what I was thinking as well

JordansBulls
12-30-2009, 08:33 PM

Atlanta they can and maybe Orlando as they have already beaten Orlando twice this year.

JordansBulls
12-31-2009, 12:04 AM
Cavs with the double win against Atlanta and now the Celtics appear to have lost 3 in a row.

Mavrix
12-31-2009, 12:05 AM
As of right now:

Orlando
Cleveland
Boston (lost 3 straight)
Atlanta

Raph12
12-31-2009, 12:48 AM
Orlando looked good today, Dwight's game in the post looked fantastic and that against Bogut. Would've been a HUGE blowout early if Howard and Carter could've stayed out of foul trouble, won by 25 pts, not bad lol.

Cleveland was carried by Lebron (his bday today) all night long and Varejao helped them out late. They've been impressive lately, I think it will be between them and the Magic.

Mavrix
12-31-2009, 01:04 AM
Orlando looked good today, Dwight's game in the post looked fantastic and that against Bogut. Would've been a HUGE blowout early if Howard and Carter could've stayed out of foul trouble, won by 25 pts, not bad lol.

Cleveland was carried by Lebron (his bday today) all night long and Varejao helped them out late. They've been impressive lately, I think it will be between them and the Magic.

How do you like my order (as of now)?

prodigy
12-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Cavs
Magic
Boston
Hawks

Magic beat the Bucks, wow woot woot lol.

JordansBulls
12-31-2009, 01:10 PM
I think we can say Atlanta will be the 4th seed for sure now.

Raph12
12-31-2009, 01:17 PM
How do you like my order (as of now)?

Well for the time being I'd switch the Cavs with the Magic, just because of the 11 wins in 12 games thing. But I think when it is said and done, that is exactly what the top 4 will look like.

JordansBulls
12-31-2009, 01:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings?season=2009&group=conference&seasontype=2&standType=standings

Did anyone realize that the Cavs were 26-4 against the West last year?

They were 40-12 against the East for a total record of 66-16.

I had no idea they dominated the western teams like that.

Raph12
12-31-2009, 03:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings?season=2009&group=conference&seasontype=2&standType=standings

Did anyone realize that the Cavs were 26-4 against the West last year?

They were 40-12 against the East for a total record of 66-16.

I had no idea they dominated the western teams like that.

I want to see them play Boston healthy and Orlando healthy, when they can beat those guys at full strength I'll say this team is as good as or even better than last season.

Btw 2 of those West losses last year were against the Lakers.

JordansBulls
12-31-2009, 05:32 PM
I want to see them play Boston healthy and Orlando healthy, when they can beat those guys at full strength I'll say this team is as good as or even better than last season.

Btw 2 of those West losses last year were against the Lakers.

They beat Orlando in Orlando this year. They need to prove they can win in Boston now, considering Boston already won in Cleveland finally.

Raph12
12-31-2009, 07:41 PM
They beat Orlando in Orlando this year. They need to prove they can win in Boston now, considering Boston already won in Cleveland finally.

Orlando didn't have Rashard Lewis and Howard fouled out in the first two minutes of the game. The next game they play will look a lot different than the last.

JordansBulls
01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
East Top 4 needs to go like this:

Cle
Bos
Atl
Orl

Having a Cle vs Orl 2nd round and Bos vs Atl 2nd round would be the best possible series.

RadiantShot
01-12-2010, 04:08 PM
It's definately Cleveland.

Cleveland wins ball games, simple as that.

JordansBulls
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM

And Boston doesn't?

jimbobjarree
01-12-2010, 04:55 PM

everyone but the nets win ball games, whats your point?

Lakerfrk
01-12-2010, 05:01 PM
I think for SURE the Cavs will get the first seed... unfortunately, I think they will lose in the second round to whomever they play, either the Hawks or the Magic.

$ NyC $
01-12-2010, 05:33 PM
I thought the Magic would have this in the bag but i don't know wth is wrong with them. Prob the Cavs just cause of the LBJ factor.

TheKing23
01-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I think for SURE the Cavs will get the first seed... unfortunately, I think they will lose in the second round to whomever they play, either the Hawks or the Magic.

No, the Cavs no longer have matchup problems with the Magic... They have Shaq who can minimize Dwight's effectiveness and exploit his offensive frailties. Vince is much more guardable than Hedo was and Varejao will do a good job on Rashard. The main thing is the Magic still don't have anyone to stop LeBron.

The Cavs showed they don't have any problems with the Hawks a few weeks ago when they beat them back to back nights. They don't have anyone who can win a series on their own (sorry, but Joe Johnson isn't an "elite" player) and they have the same problem in regards to LeBron, no one can stop him.

The Celtics pose the biggest threat to the Cavs, but that's only if they stay healthy, and we all know that's a big IF...

JordansBulls
01-16-2010, 10:14 AM
What's been up with Orlando?

IrespectNumber3
01-16-2010, 11:06 AM
What's been up with Orlando?

Vince went down, and the three hasn't been sinking in as much

Kakaroach
01-16-2010, 11:21 AM
I thought it was gonna be Boston, but forgot their old for the most part and players will be in and out of the line-up most of the time. So it will prolly be Cleveland, who can get the first seed without Shaq who misses a lot of games.

bostncelts34
01-16-2010, 11:28 AM
When all healthy, definitly would be Boston. Daniels and Garnett are due back very shortly, along with Rasheed should be playing the next game. When all healthy, Celts are the team to beat in the east, but not by much.

ManRam
01-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Have always thought it would be the Cavs, still do. Orlando should get their **** figured out soon, at least I hope so, but they wont come close to finishing first. Boston wont play as consistent because of injuries and trying to stay healthy for the playoffs. Cleveland is the default choice.

RaptorizedKevin
01-16-2010, 02:38 PM
boston when healthy
the cavs if they get antawn jamison

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Vince went down, and the three hasn't been sinking in as much

Vince plays horrible basketball at orlando

shooting 38% from the field :facepalm:

MJ-BULLS
01-16-2010, 02:51 PM
hate to say it, but the Celtics if they can stay healthy

JordansBulls
01-16-2010, 04:00 PM
I thought it was gonna be Boston, but forgot their old for the most part and players will be in and out of the line-up most of the time. So it will prolly be Cleveland, who can get the first seed without Shaq who misses a lot of games.

Bulls were the oldest team in the league from 1996-1998.