PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard are MVP's of either conference thus far.

JordansBulls
12-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Source: ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-091126-27/weekend-dime-first-trimester-awards)

West MVP of the First Trimester
Pau Gasol (Los Angeles Lakers)
This is the best (and sleekest) Carmelo Anthony we've ever seen in Denver. Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki has never started a season with more conviction. And Phoenix's Steve Nash, at 35, looks a lot like two-time MVP Steve Nash, which has emphatically hushed the skeptics who said for years that he needed Mike D'Antoni's system to even be considered in this category.
There's also a chap in Los Angeles named Kobe Bryant who is generally regarded as the most feared player in the world, even when he's shooting 28 percent from 3-point range and averaging almost as many turnovers per game (3.1) as assists (4.4).

Any of those four franchise players would be a worthy selection for Best in the West except that the season's first third truly belongs to a lanky Spaniard who actually missed the Lakers' first 11 games.

L.A.'s muted start without Gasol and its 15-2 record since Gasol returned from a hamstring injury have been handy reminders that it was Pau's arrival in February 2008 that restored the Lakers to glory and reconfigured the league's landscape. He's simply the perfect complement to Kobe -- thoroughly content to be a No. 2 but sufficiently long, mobile and skilled to supply down-low commodities that Kobe can't -- and seems to be getting better with age like Nowitzki and Nash. One example: Gasol is suddenly averaging 12.2 rebounds per game after eight seasons during which he never topped 9.8 boards.

East MVP of the First Trimester
Dwight Howard (Orlando)
It's way simpler over here.
We say so even when Toronto's Chris Bosh has edged closer to Dwyane Wade's zip code in Miami with the gaudiest numbers of his career. We say so even as we pause to at least acknowledge Boston's supremely efficient Paul Pierce or Atlanta's perpetually underrated Joe Johnson.

In the East? It's either Cleveland's LeBron James or Howard at the one-third marker.

And we're going with Dwight, at this stage, despite LeBron's trademark statistical supremacy as well as the monster load he has to carry to keep Cleveland up there with the rest of the title contenders, knowing James will undoubtedly be one of the two or three leading MVP contenders at season's end.

You can also bank on plenty of renewed discussion down the road about the holes in Howard's offensive game or the frailties exposed by the Magic's desultory performance against the Celtics on Christmas. This, though, is an opportunity -- with the Cavs not really clicking until this week and LeBron not playing the same breakthrough D we saw last season -- to highlight the stability provided by the game's best big man through Orlando's early upheaval and with so many new guys moving into the Magic Kingdom.

Orlando's season began with Rashard Lewis' 10-game suspension and more recently featured the loss through injury of spiritual leader Jameer Nelson. Those are undeniable setbacks even with the depth Howard's bosses have stockpiled, but Orlando has remained a top-five force in the league in spite of the various curveballs, transitions and tension. That's thanks largely to Howard and how much easier he makes the game at both ends for others, even though he's averaging 3.4 shots less per game than last season amid all the change.

prodigy
12-26-2009, 10:14 PM
ummmm no. Howard had not been impressive at all. He sucks in big games. Cavs and celtics.

Bruno
12-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Funny timing for such a statement considering both these guys got spanked on Christmas.

GspLAL
12-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Pau Gasol? Kobe carried this team through Gasol's injury with all his 40 point games.

RaptorsFanatic
12-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Wtf.

jim51990
12-26-2009, 10:40 PM
horrible
lebron and steve nash

Jays Claw
12-26-2009, 10:47 PM
What is ESPN smoking!? :facepalm:

Raps18-19 Champ
12-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Gasol was gone for like 10 games.

And Howard can be considered but I think there is 3 other guys more deserving.

No way.

Lebron, Wade, or Johnson for the East.
Nash, Kobe, or Melo for the West.

TheKing23
12-26-2009, 10:53 PM
What BS...

In the 17 games Gasol has been back, they have only played 5 teams over .500 (and they lost two of those games). Only 6 of those games haven't been at the Staples center so he is case for west MVP is ridiculous. The Lakers would still be first in the west if he was still out, so no way does he deserve it over Melo, Dirk, Kobe and Nash.

Dwight Howard in the east? What a joke... He's not the first option on that team and offensively he has sucked. Not only do the Cavs now have a better record, but LeBron is consistently doing everything at the highest level.

GREATNESS ONE
12-26-2009, 10:59 PM
MVP race comes down to

Kobe
Lebron
Melo
Howard
Wade

madiaz3
12-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Funny timing for such a statement considering both these guys got spanked on Christmas.

x2

Hellcrooner
12-26-2009, 11:14 PM
funny to read.

we all know a player that is not a MORONIC MEDIATIC toy with a lot of hype and comercials will NEVER stad a chance to win MVP.

On a side note...... its true Pau always averaged like 9 rpg and now he is oing almost 13.

if he keeps that could he get MIP?

blah-blah
12-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Source: ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-091126-27/weekend-dime-first-trimester-awards)

lmao i didnt know gasol was better then kobe joke and a half i personally find gasol overrated first of all. and dwight howard isnt having a great year

Hellcrooner
12-27-2009, 12:02 AM
i wonder waht would people nowdays think on teh 80s when "second" options could win mvps evenin teh finals or be considered not better players but more important to team succes than the franchise player....

braveniler58
12-27-2009, 12:02 AM
:pity:

Toenail Clipper
12-27-2009, 12:29 AM
lol

ManRam
12-27-2009, 12:46 AM
I don't think Dwight taking less shots is something to spin as a positive. Not at all. He should be finding ways to take more shots. He's just not that skilled offensively yet.

LeBron and Kobe. It's cliche...but it's the truth.

iggypop123
12-27-2009, 01:16 AM
health is the lakers mvp

bahama0811
12-27-2009, 01:18 AM
That just made me dumber reading it.

ripjhb18
12-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Gasol sure as hell isn't an MVP tonight.

TheWatcher34
12-27-2009, 01:34 AM
lmfao .. Gasol just missed two clutch free throws to seal the deal in the SAC game! :facepalm:

theuuord
12-27-2009, 01:52 AM
LeBron and Kobe. It's cliche...but it's the truth.

x2. if Chris Paul had been healthy the whole season the West might be different, but for now it's definitely LBJ/KB.

BOSTONMARC
12-27-2009, 01:54 AM
how dare you fuking dwight howard, u should be banned for saying something like that, theres plenty of other canidates to consider b4 dwight howard... for example.... Paul Pierce, umm that guy named Lebron James, Jo Johnson, Rajon Rondo, Kevin Garnett, Id even say Vince Carter beacuse of the way he's impacted that team

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/files/cache/paul-pierce-nba-finals-mvp-celtics-8x10_9be4cc072d6400aacae30dc2ae8d67c3.jpg

sp1derm00
12-27-2009, 02:08 AM
Is Pau still the MVP after Kobe's performance tonight in OT and Pau's 2 misses at the FT line that would've eventually won the game?

theuuord
12-27-2009, 02:15 AM
Is Pau still the MVP after Kobe's performance tonight in OT and Pau's 2 misses at the FT line that would've eventually won the game?

didn't Pau get the tip-in at the end of the first OT to tie it up? I think that's what the gamecast said but I only looked quickly (I just got in about 20 minutes ago).

Either way 24 points on 9-14 with 11 rebounds and 6 blocks (with no shots blocked of his own) sounds to me like a pretty good night, regardless of MVP voting.
besides, Kobe takes the ball in crunch time. everyone knows that.

GspLAL
12-27-2009, 02:18 AM
didn't Pau get the tip-in at the end of the first OT to tie it up? I think that's what the gamecast said but I only looked quickly (I just got in about 20 minutes ago).

Either way 24 points on 9-14 with 11 rebounds and 6 blocks (with no shots blocked of his own) sounds to me like a pretty good night, regardless of MVP voting.

Yeah Pau did, then Kobe pretty much sealed it in the second OT with back to back 3s with a numb right arm :D. Both had their bad moments but made up for it.

Durant is hype
12-27-2009, 02:33 AM
Great Game,Kobe seems to thrive after bad games!

sp1derm00
12-27-2009, 02:33 AM

I just don't think MVP candidates miss BOTH of their FT's in a tied game 23 seconds to go.

It was a two-shot foul, he had TWO shots to win it and missed both. We played defense to go to OT, not to win.

Also, the tip in did redeem himself. It was amazing and it kills me at how weird Pau can be. Kobe was the MVP this game. He sealed it with yet another injury.

Lakersfan2483
12-27-2009, 02:35 AM
Most of the espn writers are a joke and this is laughable. Kobe and Lebron are the frontrunners for the mvp so far. I love Pau, but the fact is he missed 11 games and Kobe has carried us this year. The team was welll over .500 while he was hurt and that was due in large part to Kobe. He's playing with a broken finger and has been carrying this team to wins.

Lakersfan2483
12-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Most of the espn writers are a joke and this is laughable. Kobe and Lebron are the frontrunners for the mvp so far. I love Pau, but the fact is he missed 11 games and Kobe has carried us this year. The team was welll over .500 while he was hurt and that was due in large part to Kobe.

ThuglifeJ
12-27-2009, 02:51 AM
1. LOL at all the Lebron fans who cry in a corner when things dont go their way.

2. Pau Gasol= lol. That's insulting to players like Melo, Kobe, Nash..

3. Dwight Howard= they dont watch games in the east. Dwight shouldnt be considered until he can do something offensively. I'd consider a lot of other players over Dwight. Dwight's like the 4th option on offense on the Magic. I'd take Wade, Joe Johnson, Rondo (hate him), the Queen or even Carter (their leading scorer if he shot better %) over Dwight.

He's a dominant defensive and rebounding player though.

congrats that ESPN is making 2nd options (Pau) look like the reasons now

Paulliwali
12-27-2009, 02:51 AM
lol i like espn now

_KB24_
12-27-2009, 03:01 AM
I think both Lebron and Kobe fans can agree that not having them up there is ATROCIOUS! Both Pau and Dwight are not even the go-to guys on their teams!

Kobe & Bron by a mile.......

rabueed
12-27-2009, 03:33 AM
don't flame me for this, but from ESPN's point of view, I think their goal was to acknowledge the people they feel are not getting enough credit for the work they are putting in this year.

for instance, no one is even looking at Artest for DPOY, nor do I think he will win it, but they thought they should acknowledge the outstanding defensive presence he brings to the Lakers and his individual defense on the opposing player (not named Lebron).

ARMIN12NBA
12-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Marc Stein's agenda is as clear as day.

eugene
12-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Melo and Pierce for me...

eugene
12-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Dwight is more than upset this year. Everybody hoped he will improve his offense, it had to be his brake through year...

Raph12
12-28-2009, 04:25 AM
At this point, I'd have to say Lebron, then Kobe and then Dwight. Dwight has played well in his last 10-15 games or so, I think when it is said and done, Dwight will finish in the Top 3 and may even have a shot to win it.

Right now, LBJ and Kobe are the frontrunners, but with Dwight's play recently, if he can get his team atop the East, continue to play at a high level on defense and bring up his offensive game as the season progresses, his chances are as good as anyones.

ldc62
12-28-2009, 05:37 AM
Dwight Howard is not playing as good as last year and Pau would never get MVP as long as Kobe is there.

http://i27.tinypic.com/256bcwp.gi

JayW_1023
12-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Dwight Howard...it's frustrating to see this kid develope at snails pace. He is a really nice guy you know. Unfortunately that's part of his problem. Against stiffs sure, he has his way because of his immense physical gifts. But when guys like Perkins or Bynum push him around, he becomes soft and the holes in his game are laid bare. He isn't good dealing with double teams, and doesn't have great offensive awareness. If he doesn't improve quickly, he won't be a franchise player once his athleticism diminishes and he has to rely more on his skills. Sometimes, Howard looks like a rookie out there. I can't believe people think he is better than Duncan now. Bull.

$ NyC $
12-28-2009, 11:10 AM
^No way He's better than Duncan. If he had even half of Duncan's offensive skills Dwight would be a legit MVP contender. Watching that Celtics game was torture. I know that Perkins is a great defensive player but Dwight really stunk it up. He commits dumb fouls also. No way he's MVP, he's not even the #1 option on the Magic, but he is their Defensive Anchor and leader.

As for Gasol. He's a GREAT #2 option, a perfect #2 especially to a premiere wing player such as Kobe. But no way is he the MVP. His own team mate would get it b4 him and then you mention guys like Dirk, Melo.

CowboysKB24
12-28-2009, 11:29 AM
horrible
lebron and steve nash

Disagree with West.

Suns aren't that good. No way Nash. It is Kobe no questions asked. Lakers have the record in the NBA. He is average almost 30 a game and shooting 49% from the field.

East you could throw a few names up, but in the end it is hard not to go with LeBron. Cavs stepped up after there rough 3-3 start.

IrespectNumber3
12-28-2009, 01:16 PM
whoever wrote this is the biggest homer of all time

Ray_R
12-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Crack :shrug:

godolphins
12-28-2009, 01:40 PM

They smoking that Skip Bayless weed;)

isuk
12-28-2009, 01:56 PM
i mean they did say,"theres no way that Gasol will actually win the MVP." they just wanted to give them credit, i mean after all its only the trimester awards

Double_R
12-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Dwight Howard changes games, I don't care if he scores 20pts, he changes or blocks about 20 shots a game, he turns players into jump shooters, offensive and defensive schemes are constantly changed because of him. The Magic have had so many injuries/ Rashard's suspension. They have 10 different players who have made atleast 3 starts, not to mention Jameer's 16 and Rashard's 10 games that were missed. After all of that, the Magic still have one of the top records. THat's because of Dwight Howard, he makes everyone on his team better by just showing up.

Ollie Tabooger
12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
They smoking that Skip Bayless weed;)

:rock:

Slimsim
12-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Dwight hasn't improve much Offensively Like i was hoping he would during the summer.

Now if he had a Turn around Jump shot like Patrick Ewing Dwight for MVP.

JayW_1023
12-28-2009, 03:22 PM
^No way He's better than Duncan. If he had even half of Duncan's offensive skills Dwight would be a legit MVP contender. .

Probably...but since Dwight doesn't have Duncans offensive skills he is not a better basketball player. Better athlete for sure...but not a better basketball player.

mikantsass
12-28-2009, 03:38 PM
MVP's in the West more deserving than Gasol based on the numbers:
Kobe, Melo, Dirk, Roy, Nash, Boozer, Durant, Duncan, Randolph, Kaman

MVP's in the East more deserving than Howard based on the numbers:
Johnson, Bosh, Lebron, Gerald Wallace, possibly Vince???

Raph12
12-28-2009, 04:12 PM

Johnson, Bosh, Lebron, Gerald Wallace, possibly Vince???

JJ, Bosh, G-Force and Vince?.... sorry bud you just lost all credit.

Bosh and G-Force play on sub-500 teams, with Wallace you could argue that his supporting cast isn't the greatest, but Bosh has more than enough talent around him so there's no excuse. Vince Carter is shooting under 40% from the floor and chucking up shots now more than ever. JJ has played well, but the Hawks are like the Celtics, without Horford, Smith, Bibby or Crawford the team would suffer dearly, there is no clear cut MVP.

Dwight's impact on both ends of the floor is so immense, it can't be compared to anything else any of those players bring. The Magic have played without Carter, Lewis and Nelson for many stretches of games this season and they still continue to win games at a rapid pace. Remove any one of those players and Orlando is still elite, remove Dwight Howard and the Magic are eliminated in the first round.

I'll admit that Lebron should've represented the East, but Dwight is the runner up without a doubt.

Hellcrooner
12-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Johnson, Bosh, Lebron, Gerald Wallace, possibly Vince??? proble is numbers NEVER tell the complete story.

If so World b Free would be the Greatest Player of the first 80s

TO Rapz
12-28-2009, 05:54 PM
:facepalm: :pity:

mikantsass
12-28-2009, 07:51 PM
JJ, Bosh, G-Force and Vince?.... sorry bud you just lost all credit.

Bosh and G-Force play on sub-500 teams, with Wallace you could argue that his supporting cast isn't the greatest, but Bosh has more than enough talent around him so there's no excuse. Vince Carter is shooting under 40% from the floor and chucking up shots now more than ever. JJ has played well, but the Hawks are like the Celtics, without Horford, Smith, Bibby or Crawford the team would suffer dearly, there is no clear cut MVP.

Dwight's impact on both ends of the floor is so immense, it can't be compared to anything else any of those players bring. The Magic have played without Carter, Lewis and Nelson for many stretches of games this season and they still continue to win games at a rapid pace. Remove any one of those players and Orlando is still elite, remove Dwight Howard and the Magic are eliminated in the first round.

I'll admit that Lebron should've represented the East, but Dwight is the runner up without a doubt.

Going by ur logic.... take JJ off of the Hawks, they are still a playoff team but 1st round exit... take Bosh off the Raps and they dont make the playoffs, take Wallace off the Bobcats and they are probably in Nets status.

That is the stereotype that i hate about the MVP... Apparently he must come from a top 3 team in the NBA.

All of the players that i mentioned are having better years than Gasol in the west and Dwight in the east

Raph12
12-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Going by ur logic.... take JJ off of the Hawks, they are still a playoff team but 1st round exit... take Bosh off the Raps and they dont make the playoffs, take Wallace off the Bobcats and they are probably in Nets status.

That is the stereotype that i hate about the MVP... Apparently he must come from a top 3 team in the NBA.

All of the players that i mentioned are having better years than Gasol in the west and Dwight in the east

Let me put it like this, those guys can be replaced; JJ could be replaced by Kobe/Wade/Carter/Roy/Ginobli/Terry etc; Bosh can be replaced by Duncan/KG/Amare/Dirk/Aldridge/Randolph etc; Wallace could be replaced by Lebron/Melo/Granger/Durant/Ariza/Artest etc... If Dwight is replaced, the team will suffer drastically, his impact is immeasurable, he changes opposing offenses and defenses. He also makes everyone around him look better on both ends, those guys do not, plain and simple.

Btw Dwight is only having a bad year because of how he started, if you look at his numbers in his last 10-15 games, they are even more outstanding on defense and almost exactly where they were on offense compared to last season.

If the Magic win the East, Dwight wins MVP, book it.

TheWatcher34
12-28-2009, 09:29 PM

:facepalm: @ ESPN

..i dont wana get started to give reasons for my an opposing argument

ESPN is bulllllls*****

rapswin98
12-29-2009, 12:20 AM
ESPN's western conference mvp is getting bullied in Phoenix. Got bullied agaist Cavs.