PDA

View Full Version : When he retires, will Garnett be remembered as a T'Wolf or Celtic?

AI4MVP
12-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Ive been thinking about it for a while:

I know that Garnett won a championship with Boston and everything, but he played 12 seasons in Minnesota, including his entire prime. He has all his huge numbers in Minnesota, and he won his MVP award as a member of the Timberwolves.

so when hes retired, will he be remember as a timberwolf, or a celtic?

abe_froman
12-26-2009, 05:05 PM
both

bigsams50
12-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Timberwolves.

NYKnickFanatic
12-26-2009, 05:41 PM
I will remember him as a Timberwolve. I had so much respect for him when he played for that team, as a Celtic, not so much.

HammerHead1
12-26-2009, 05:45 PM
I will remember him as a Timberwolf, but I think his legacy will be looked up on his Championship with the Celtics.

m26555
12-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I will always remember him as a Timberwolf.

As a matter of fact, whenever I think of Garnett, I will always conjure up the image of him leaping onto the scorer's table after the Timberwolves beat the Kings in that game seven.

runforrestrunx9
12-26-2009, 05:51 PM
tough 1... i have more respect for him as a T'wolve tho

KnicksorBust
12-26-2009, 05:54 PM
If he plays 3-4 more years as a Celtic and wins another ring... bye bye minny KG, long live Boston KG.

iggypop123
12-26-2009, 05:54 PM
he better hope its the wolves otherwise he will be hated

TheWatcher34
12-26-2009, 05:55 PM
he will be remembered as one of the best PFs to ever play the game. as one of the best defenders, one of the best big men with an excellent mid range game, as a champion and as a ballplayer with one of the most passionate and intense character. it's more about giving respect for the person and not so much the franchises. he'll be remembered for the timberwolves and the celtics.

redsox0717
12-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Why does he have to be remembered for only one team? That would be a disservice to his amazing accomplishments as an NBA player.

uncleben989
12-26-2009, 06:06 PM
lol no brainer here, for me his time as a timberwolf, i mean he was very fun to watch in his prime...sure he won a ring in boston but i dunno, not a fan of his attitude change and cockiness as a celtic...either way he spent all his prime in Minnesota and won an MVP there

UltimateMVP22
12-26-2009, 06:11 PM
T-Wolve no doubt.

KnicksorBust
12-26-2009, 06:15 PM
I think everyones missing the point by trying to be cute and say timberwolve or both. If he wins another ring in Boston. That's gonna be his legacy. Championships. In 5 years if someone was playing a word association game with you and they said "LeBron" you would say "Cavs" if they said "Kobe" you would say "Lakers" if they said "Garnett" you would say "Celtics."

GiantMetKnick
12-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Depends how long he plays for the C's and how many more championships he wins. If he retired today, I would say he'd be remembered as a member of the Wolves.

ink
12-26-2009, 06:41 PM
For casual fans or fans who weren't there to see him play he will be a Celtic because all they'll look at is the championships.

_KB24_
12-26-2009, 06:49 PM
I had mad respect for him in Minny, I hate his guts now with the C's. He'll be remembered as a Celtic and for reviving their franchise, I mean who would have though you would EVER hear MVP chants for a Laker in Boston?????

Trouble87
12-26-2009, 06:50 PM
In my mind T-Wolf

lorenz00
12-26-2009, 06:52 PM
i will always remember KG in Wolves ... celtics? fck that

Gibby
12-26-2009, 06:52 PM
i would say a timberwolf unless he builds a dynasty in boston. by dynasty i mean multiple rings or consective championships.

BkOriginalOne
12-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Celtic.

Bruno
12-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Generally, both, but it still kinda depends on how many more years he plays for Boston, and how well the Celtics do.

m26555
12-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I think everyones missing the point by trying to be cute and say timberwolve or both. If he wins another ring in Boston. That's gonna be his legacy. Championships. In 5 years if someone was playing a word association game with you and they said "LeBron" you would say "Cavs" if they said "Kobe" you would say "Lakers" if they said "Garnett" you would say "Celtics."
Um, no. I'll say the franchise he spent 12 seasons with: the Timberwolves.

By your logic, Gary Payton will be remembered as a member of the Heat. I know the circumstances are slightly different because Garnett played much more of a role in Boston's championship than Payton did in Miami's, but the gist is still the same.

rockbottom2010
12-26-2009, 07:08 PM
i always liked kevin garnett.....he never really requested a trade to go the celtics....however i was happy the fact that he won a championship with the celtics....why cuz hes gonna be in the history book of that franchise alongside with bill russell, larry bird...and so on........so therefore....i would say both.....he turned around the t-wolves franchise and made that team very exciting at one point....esp. the 03-04 season when he won season MVP.....

Boston-Born
12-26-2009, 07:31 PM

I'm going to assume you are a Laker's fan, and if I'm wrong, I apologize. Would you consider Pau Gasol a Grizzly or a Laker?

PurpleJesus
12-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Being a Wolves fan, ive been wondering this myself. 12 seasons in minny is a long time, he signed the biggest contract in NBA history (at the time) with the Wolves, solidified his intense image, put up huge numbers and won an MVP award. While with the Wolves he was arguably a top 3 player in the league, and unarguably top 5.
With Boston, its questionable if he is even a top 10 player, but in Boston, he won a championship, and the media coverage over there has bolstered his popularity. He also was a huge part in turning Boston back into a winner.

So if he plays a couple more years in Boston without winning a championship, he will probably be remembered for both teams. If he does win another championship, he will long live a Celtic. I dont think he will be solely remembered as a timberwolf, He will either be remembered as a T-Wolve / Celtic, or as a Celtic.

Toenail Clipper
12-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Wolves.
He only spent a couple of years in Boston.

FlakeyFool
12-26-2009, 08:03 PM
t'wolf

thrilla11
12-26-2009, 08:04 PM
His number will be retired in Minnesota and i think when he goes to the hall of fame, his T- Wolf jersey will be there as well

KnicksorBust
12-26-2009, 08:12 PM
If he plays 3-4 more years as a Celtic and wins another ring... bye bye minny KG, long live Boston KG.

Um, no. I'll say the franchise he spent 12 seasons with: the Timberwolves.

By your logic, Gary Payton will be remembered as a member of the Heat. I know the circumstances are slightly different because Garnett played much more of a role in Boston's championship than Payton did in Miami's, but the gist is still the same.

Payton's 2 years in Miami is not even close to the same as KG's run in Boston. KG turned the whole team around and was 3rd in the MVP voting. KG has already won a ring and still has a good 3-4 years left. I clearly start in my first post that if he stays there and wins again that would change his legacy. So you missed the boat on my logic but that's okay. A lot of people think Timberwolves. I just think longevity losses out when someone also spends 5+ years somewhere else and actually wins some rings. His lasting memory will be in the Celtics green as part of the Big 3.

MaHaRaJaH
12-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Hmm, I don't know how players are enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame, but if it's anything like Baseball (where you have a plaque with your face and a team hat) then I guess he would go down (or remembered) as a Celtic.

uncleben989
12-27-2009, 12:19 PM

nope, you couldnt be further from the truth, unless were talking to casual fans like yourself but true basketball fans would most likely say Minny as this thread is indicatin rite now with all the Minny replies, cause KG's 12 years in Minny were awesome.

Westbrook36
12-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Tbh I think it depends on the age of the person. Many people will remember him as a T-Wolve because they are old enough where they can remember his greatness with the team, where others won't have the luxary to watch him much outside of his days with Boston.

I'll go with Minny as I'm old enough where I can remember how sick he was.

ManRam
12-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Both. He stuck with Minnesota probably longer than he should of. I commend him for that. But Boston will be the thing people last remember about him, and will be the freshest memories. I guess mainly a Timberwolf.

If he wins another ring in Boston, than I'd lean towards Boston. So it's to be determined IMO.

KnicksorBust
12-27-2009, 01:03 PM
nope, you couldnt be further from the truth, unless were talking to casual fans like yourself but true basketball fans would most likely say Minny as this thread is indicatin rite now with all the Minny replies, cause KG's 12 years in Minny were awesome.

:laugh: I eat, sleep, and breath basketball but that's not the point. If he retired now, then sure I'd say T'Wolf but I think he's got a really good chance to win another ring in Boston before all is said and done. What's more memorable 5+ seasons and 2 rings in Boston or 12 seasons in Minny with 1 WCF appearance? It's a no brainer.

todu82
12-27-2009, 01:32 PM
As A Timberwolve.

jim51990
12-27-2009, 01:38 PM
if he wins another ring it will be as a celtic because even kg will consider himself a celtic over a twolf

J_M_B
12-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I'll remember him as a member o the T'wolves, but if he wins another ring or two that might change.

arkanian215
12-27-2009, 02:32 PM

didnt minnys management pretty much force him out of minny? kg originally didnt want anything to do with boston and then he gets traded there...

championships
12-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Why does he have to be remembered for only one team? That would be a disservice to his amazing accomplishments as an NBA player.

Well, Most people remember Kareem as a Laker and not a Buck. Eventhough he did win a championship with the Bucks.

Hawkeye15
12-27-2009, 03:51 PM
he will be remembered as a Timberwolf by their fans, a Celtic by their fans, and an individual star by the mainstream. Like Barkley, Shaq,, etc. Any star who plays for multiple teams is known as a player, and only the fans of their particular teams worry about that stuff

Raph12
12-27-2009, 03:57 PM
T-Wolf, I loved him in Minny.

Now I have close to no respect left for him... someone who takes so much pride and plays with such arrogance, and that while playing alongside two other HOFers, on one of their teams.

bagwell368
12-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Twolves were like an undergraduate degree - like U Minn.

KG went to the Celts for Grad School - you know like Harvard, MIT, Tufts, NE, BU, BC...............

You are known by where you went to grad school, not some crap state school you got an undergrad from a few years back.

bagwell368
12-27-2009, 04:47 PM
T-Wolf, I loved him in Minny.

Now I have close to no respect left for him... someone who takes so much pride and plays with such arrogance, and that while playing alongside two other HOFers, on one of their teams.

Yeah, like Kobe is a mild mannered guy that would never toot his own horn. Grow up.

bagwell368
12-27-2009, 04:49 PM
didnt minnys management pretty much force him out of minny? kg originally didnt want anything to do with boston and then he gets traded there...

Tell the whole story. He didn't want to come to Boston because he didn't think he could win there with just Pierce. But when Allen came over first, he changed his tune - after meeting with Ainge and the Boston owners as well.

uncleben989
12-27-2009, 06:11 PM
:laugh: I eat, sleep, and breath basketball but that's not the point. If he retired now, then sure I'd say T'Wolf but I think he's got a really good chance to win another ring in Boston before all is said and done. What's more memorable 5+ seasons and 2 rings in Boston or 12 seasons in Minny with 1 WCF appearance? It's a no brainer.

so in between eating and breathing basketball, you forgot his MVP in Minny, not to mention countless individual honours...lol 5+ seasons in boston? and 2 rings? someones clinging onto high hopes considering KG's recent injury problems..

if boston doesnt win this a ship this season, the window is really closing, esp if two of either bosh, dwade, or lebron are on thes same team come next year.

forget accomplishments, for the 12 years he was a Twolf..he was the BIG Ticket, ppl would goto see Minny games cause KG is comin to town.. in Boston, he shares the spotlight with ray ray and paul pierce. he helped minny onto the NBA map.

uncleben989
12-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Twolves were like an undergraduate degree - like U Minn.

KG went to the Celts for Grad School - you know like Harvard, MIT, Tufts, NE, BU, BC...............

You are known by where you went to grad school, not some crap state school you got an undergrad from a few years back.

lol kinda ironic u use that example with a guy who came straight outta high school :D

Raph12
12-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah, like Kobe is a mild mannered guy that would never toot his own horn. Grow up.

Actually Kobe is the best player on the planet and he's earned that right, but you still don't see/hear him saying "we gonna bully these ******" during games now do you.

topdog
12-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Actually Kobe is the best player on the planet and he's earned that right, but you still don't see/hear him saying "we gonna bully these ******" during games now do you.

Here's the American arrogance/wing bias rearing its head again. But, anywayz, KG is a t-wolf for life even if he wins multiple titles. He didn't need a title to be a HOFer and he didn't make all those memories of game-winning three pointers and Duncan-Garnett battles in Boston.

As for you guys who think Garnett's changed, he's always been a trash-talker and a bit of a bully/hothead. It was just so much easier to overlook it when he had to carry the team and be "the guy." He was never one of my favorite players but I always respected him.

mavwar53
12-27-2009, 07:21 PM
C's cause that is where I lost all respect for him, he is on a winning team so he has turned into an arrogant bastard that likes to pick on smaller guys throwing elbows and shoulders, the guy is classless. On the T-wolves he wouldn't do this stuff but I have a hard time remembering those days now, the guy is just a fool.

uncleben989
12-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Here's the American arrogance/wing bias rearing its head again. But, anywayz, KG is a t-wolf for life even if he wins multiple titles. He didn't need a title to be a HOFer and he didn't make all those memories of game-winning three pointers and Duncan-Garnett battles in Boston.

As for you guys who think Garnett's changed, he's always been a trash-talker and a bit of a bully/hothead. It was just so much easier to overlook it when he had to carry the team and be "the guy." He was never one of my favorite players but I always respected him.

:clap::clap:

Ripper Gein
12-27-2009, 11:12 PM
The logical answer (correct one) is Timberwolf, the illogical answer (boston fan) is celtic.

JordansBulls
12-27-2009, 11:13 PM
For prime obviously Twolves, however for winning it would be the Celtics. KG's career with the Celtics is like Oscar's career with the Bucks.

Basically when you think of Oscar do you think of the Royals or Bucks?

blastmasta26
12-27-2009, 11:16 PM
A T-Wolf, that's where he established himself as a perennial All-Star. It doesn't matter that he won his first title in Boston and may win another one, KG was in Minny for most of his career.

Tha Truth
12-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Both.

He made a name for himself in Minni by being the best PF in the league at one point and now he is now he is just finishing his career with a well deserved ring and potentially another one to come.

loufor2
12-27-2009, 11:40 PM
a twolf no doubt

jimbobjarree
12-27-2009, 11:42 PM
i think i'll remember 'ANYTHINGGG IS POSSIBBBBBLLLE!!!' and his celtic team i'm sad to say, but i am still a noob nba fan of only 5 years

bagwell368
12-27-2009, 11:50 PM
C's cause that is where I lost all respect for him, he is on a winning team so he has turned into an arrogant bastard that likes to pick on smaller guys throwing elbows and shoulders, the guy is classless. On the T-wolves he wouldn't do this stuff but I have a hard time remembering those days now, the guy is just a fool.

Sure thing, one of the 20 greatest players of all time, that has more media around him now became a fool because you saw him twice a year when he was on the Wolves with nothing to play for.

bagwell368
12-27-2009, 11:51 PM
The logical answer (correct one) is Timberwolf, the illogical answer (boston fan) is celtic.

That only makes sense if you have an axe to grind.

dev0
12-27-2009, 11:52 PM
first post and definately not the last...
personally i feel like he will be remembered as a Celtic, he played some memorable years there and as far as media exposure it was way bigger in the mainstream as a member of the C's big 3. People with less knowledge of his career may overlook his T-wolves record-setting days, but for those in Minny he will always be Da Kid

NYMetros
12-27-2009, 11:58 PM
so in between eating and breathing basketball, you forgot his MVP in Minny, not to mention countless individual honours...lol 5+ seasons in boston? and 2 rings? someones clinging onto high hopes considering KG's recent injury problems..

if boston doesnt win this a ship this season, the window is really closing, esp if two of either bosh, dwade, or lebron are on thes same team come next year.

forget accomplishments, for the 12 years he was a Twolf..he was the BIG Ticket, ppl would goto see Minny games cause KG is comin to town.. in Boston, he shares the spotlight with ray ray and paul pierce. he helped minny onto the NBA map.

KG won the '07-08 MVP for Boston, too.

(OK, maybe he didn't. But still. He definitely deserved it.)

To answer the thread question, I'll say as of right now, I remember him most as a T-Wolve. He was amazing for that franchise during the 10+ years that he spent pouring his blood and sweat into that team and city. However, if Boston gets another ring and KG has another 3 or 4 years playing at the level he is right now then I will change my opinion and say he will be remembered as a Celtic.

phoenix_bladen
12-28-2009, 12:01 AM
i would probably remember him as a celtic even though he would be remembered for both

cause honestly he never really did much in minny

they sucked and nobody cares about minny

boeknows
12-28-2009, 02:03 AM
i would probably remember him as a celtic even though he would be remembered for both

cause honestly he never really did much in minny

they sucked and nobody cares about minny

He made the playoffs for 8 straight years with Minny.
Was the MVP.
Was the all star game MVP in 2003.
All NBA third team selection twice 2nd team 3 times and 1st team 3 times
2 time 2nd team all defense
6 time 1st team all defense

those are just a couple things that he did in Minny. But your correct he really never did anything in minny.

dodie53
12-28-2009, 02:28 AM
celtics

CTsoxFAN
12-28-2009, 02:41 AM
Now, I know jack-**** when it comes to The Basketball Hall of Fame. But, does the player decide which jersey he'll be forever known for, or is it the league/voters?

Ray_R
12-28-2009, 03:06 AM
he will be remembered as one of the best PFs to ever play the game. as one of the best defenders, one of the best big men with an excellent mid range game, as a champion and as a ballplayer with one of the most passionate and intense character. it's more about giving respect for the person and not so much the franchises. he'll be remembered for the timberwolves and the celtics.

Fail.I guess you never heard of Tim DUncan. He was great but not the Best. FOr me i will remeber him as a TImberwolf when i use to like him. :sigh:

brandonwarne52
12-28-2009, 05:14 AM
Fill in the blank:

"This one is for _ _ _ _"

Hint:

Minne----

oogaboogaman
12-28-2009, 05:38 AM

personally i think i would associate the colors green and white:clap:

Toenail Clipper
12-28-2009, 05:39 AM
Nobody will remember Karl Malone and Gary Payton as Laker players.

JayW_1023
12-28-2009, 10:37 AM
He is a great defensive player...but if he had a great low post game like Duncan or Gasol...he prolly would've become the best big man ever.

Now he isn't even the best post scorer on his own team...that title belongs to Sheed. Too bad Sheed doesn't play in the post often these says.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-28-2009, 11:10 AM
wolves

m26555
12-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Payton's 2 years in Miami is not even close to the same as KG's run in Boston. KG turned the whole team around and was 3rd in the MVP voting. KG has already won a ring and still has a good 3-4 years left. I clearly start in my first post that if he stays there and wins again that would change his legacy. So you missed the boat on my logic but that's okay. A lot of people think Timberwolves. I just think longevity losses out when someone also spends 5+ years somewhere else and actually wins some rings. His lasting memory will be in the Celtics green as part of the Big 3.
I disagree, and wholeheartedly.

Kakaroach
12-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I'll always remember KG as a T-Wolve unless he has more success with the Celtics, like another championship or two. Never gonna forget his battles with Malone and Ostertag earlier in the decade and late 90s'. Gave the Jazz a ton of battles throughout his years in Minny.

harlequin018
12-28-2009, 02:52 PM
I'll probably remember him as a Wolf, with those little triangles all over the unis, because he carried that team and was considered one of the best players in the league every season. Now, much less attention is drawn to KG as he's just not the same caliber of player.

But he gets to pick the team he represents in the HoF, and I can almost guarantee he'll go in as a Celtic.

uprightciti
12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
no doubt boston
he is now part of the "big three" thats what he will be remembered as

half of all nba fans wont remember ray ray for his days with the sonics

so....

Jays Claw
12-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I had so much respect for him while he was apart of the Minnesota Timberwolves. In my opinion, he should be remembered as a Timberwolf. However, his championship ring and future accomplishments with the Boston Celtics will make other people think otherwise.

sep11ie
12-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I'll always remember his as annoying...

Tony_Starks
12-28-2009, 05:02 PM
I think he'll mostly be remembered as a *******.

KnicksorBust
12-28-2009, 10:57 PM

The question is not was Garnett better in Minnesota or Boston. It's for what team will he be remembered. Ubuntu. The Big 3. Biggest season turnaround in nba history. Celtics vs. Lakers. Celtics break the drought. "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!" These are lasting memories that will survive in nba history. He's still got time to add to that list and I believe he will.

Romo2Bryant
12-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Depends how long he plays for the C's and how many more championships he wins. If he retired today, I would say he'd be remembered as a member of the Wolves.

This.

bigmac8675
12-29-2009, 06:57 AM
T'wolve.... unless he wins another ring in Boston. Then probably more as a celtic than t'wolve.

Big Zo
12-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I'll remember him for wearing ugly uniforms.

Jays Claw
12-29-2009, 01:21 PM
I'll remember him for wearing ugly uniforms.

:laugh2:

Boston Faithful
12-29-2009, 05:37 PM
This is a stupid question.

I'm not being bias, but he will obviously be remembered as a Celtic.

The Wolves are a menial franchise, never won anything and KG was bigger than the franchise himself.

He won a title in Boston, Boston is perhaps the best NBA team history wise ever and he'll probably finish his career out there.

tonyd3b54
12-29-2009, 07:06 PM
every1 WANTS to remember him as a twolf but if were being real here kgs gonna be remembered as celtic....

LovatoLover
12-29-2009, 07:24 PM
honestly both because he's such a different player for both teams
Timberwolves he was hard working and one of the nicest guys in the league
Celtics - yea he's got the ring but he a COMPLETE douchebag