PDA

View Full Version : Level of Concern for the Lakers?

basketball20001
12-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Hmmm, I am not too sure if I’m writing this article for the fact that the Lakers lost this game or for the fact that I lost a bet because of this game.

Either way last night’s performance raises eyebrows of concern for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Like me, most NBA fans thought that the Lakers were too unstoppable, powerful, stronger, better, wiser, and more experienced to lose to practically any team in the league, especially at home in the Staples Center.

Once again, just like me, most fans believed that the Lakers would come out and light up the Cavaliers simply for the spirit of Christmas.

Apparently that wasn’t the case yesterday (sorry that the Lakers disappointed you on Christmas little boys and girls).

One thing that separates the Lakers from the average team is their extreme height in the front-court.

The duo of 7 footers Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum tend to cause serious mismatch problems against opponents.

Normally having a huge height advantage, Gasol faces up against the power-forwards of the East and West, getting the opportunity to shoot, rebound, pass, and block of the heads of any defender.

Aside from the two behemoths, the Lakers have arguably the best player in the game in Kobe Bryant. A rare form of athlete that can do anything and everything on the court, but most importantly be able to keep his composure.

Lastly the Lakers bench consists of 6′10″ forward Lamar Odom who received a four-year $33 million deal last offseason. For a player making that kind of money, Odom is highly relied on to ignite a spark off the bench.

http://*****************/2009/12/26/los-angeles-lakers-level-of-concern-for-the-defending-champions.html

madiaz3
12-26-2009, 02:28 PM
No concern. It was just one game.

ManRam
12-26-2009, 02:28 PM
No concern. Bron's supporting cast was definitely on last night, Kobe's (and Kobe himself) were not. The Lakers are the most talented team in the league, they'll be fine.

It's one game. It shows more about the fact that the Cavs are elite for sure, than anything else.

23-5 = no concern.

ink
12-26-2009, 02:39 PM
No concern.

Teeboy1487
12-26-2009, 02:39 PM
No concern. We played our worst game of the season. That's all. I'm not worried at all. However, we might need to make a few tweaks with our bench,

0nekhmer
12-26-2009, 02:42 PM
if they should be concerned about anything, it should be there bandwagonning fans who, in-a-flash would leave them. I just saw the highlights from last night, the crowd was horrible, they were actually throwing **** down there.. wheres the respect?

CowboysKB24
One game and the best record in the NBA and there is a cause for concern...NO

Just give it up to the Cavs for playing a great game and whooping the Lakers butts.

cheerio
consensus is no concern, lol

3RDASYSTEM
12-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Yea its one game and a win is a win...if they get beat by the next 10 opp. with a pct of 500. or better then it will be little more legit,but lets talk around April,they are stacked and just had a little too much Holiday fun at home, lack of focus and celebrating with family tends to do it to the best of'em,they need to stop with Xmas games

GarlicStench
12-26-2009, 02:46 PM
6-5 against teams with winning record? That speaks volumes and shows that the team is not going anywhere if it doesn't toughen up. Right now they are SOFT!!!!!!!

tr4shb0t
12-26-2009, 02:48 PM
lol the league gave the majority of people what they wanted to see. if you have any sense at all you know better.

madiaz3
12-26-2009, 02:52 PM
if they should be concerned about anything, it should be there bandwagonning fans who, in-a-flash would leave them. I just saw the highlights from last night, the crowd was horrible, they were actually throwing **** down there.. wheres the respect?

anger at the refs (for the three or so consecutive technicals) not the lakers for losing

zachattach
12-26-2009, 02:57 PM
they do have one thing to be concerned about and thats there bench.

This season they havent had consistent bench play at all. Lamar Odom is great off the bench for everything but scoring. He defends well, rebounds, passes, and creates mismatches but he isnt a scorer.

As a Lakers fan I am concerned about there bench, i think a player like Nate Robinson would go along ways. Nate off the bench along with Odom would make them much more complete.

theuuord
12-26-2009, 03:06 PM
lol the league gave the majority of people what they wanted to see. if you have any sense at all you know better.

and so the conspiracy theorists begin.

RaptorsFanatic
12-26-2009, 03:07 PM
This is it. I have had enough. IT WAS ONE GAME, and ONE LOSS. It's not a big deal at all. Sorry, but since yesterday anything affiliated with the NBA has been overreacting with the Lakers.

AI4MVP
12-26-2009, 03:21 PM
the only thing id be concernedabout if i was the lakers is there bench. they need some offensive firepower. a perfect guy would be NATE ROBINSON and he just happens to be super availale. Nate to the lakers is exactly what LA needs, and in my opinion it would be the missing piece to make them the undebateable favorite to win it all(right now i think celts are favorites when healthy)

CowboysKB24
12-26-2009, 03:29 PM
6-5 against teams with winning record? That speaks volumes and shows that the team is not going anywhere if it doesn't toughen up. Right now they are SOFT!!!!!!!

Where did you get this stat from? Your ***?

Toenail Clipper
12-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Well their bench sucks, they should make moves already.

J4KOP99
12-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Their bench does need a little work but the bigger concern yesterday was where was Jack Nicholson?

If he's there, we win that game.

Chronz
12-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Well there offense hasnt great at all after being the best offensive team last year

loufor2
12-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Their bench does need a little work but the bigger concern yesterday was where was Jack Nicholson?

If he's there, we win that game.

sadly, this lakers fan is prob. serious.

Vee-Rex
12-26-2009, 04:30 PM
This is it. I have had enough. IT WAS ONE GAME, and ONE LOSS. It's not a big deal at all. Sorry, but since yesterday anything affiliated with the NBA has been overreacting with the Lakers.

Welcome to the media? Other teams (Boston, Orlando, Cleveland) have been dealing with it every single time we lose to another team. Just accept it as the one loss and move on. No reason to get uptight.

Anyway, I don't think there's any real concern. As a Boston + Cleveland fan, I'd still say the Lakers are the favorites for the championship. They're still a pretty dominant team and one loss isn't going to change that. I'm from Cleveland and I can tell you that Mo Williams and Jamario Moon don't normally play that well on a consistent basis. If they did, we'd be a lot better.

If I had to add one piece to the Lakers, I'd say they need a decent swingman off the bench.

airraptor8
12-26-2009, 04:41 PM
It's really no concern. Lakers lost to a cavs team that was playing out of their minds.

The positives - Ron did a decent job on lebron - only 22 points? He scored in the post easily, but he doesn't make that a habit so it's not too much of a concern.

The game was a outlier for the cavs. Shaq decided to show up for this game, Varejao actually score (when does this happen?) and Mo was playing in all star form, and all their role players decided to make all their shots today (wtf was Moon doing banking in 3s)

Regardless of the officiating, the lakers played poorly. No interior (don't know why pau didn't attack the slow footed Z or Shaq more) and we took a bunch of poor shots in transition (shannon, jordan, and fish). Either way, I don't see anyone but the nuggets and celtics competing with the lakers in a 7 game series. Cleveland will not play like this for 4 out of a 7 game series, that's for sure.

DreamShaker
12-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Every team has something to work on. If they can sign a buyout guy later to bolster their bench or make a trade to do the same then I'm sure they will. But all they can do now is keep getting better...just like every team.

Lake_Show2416
12-26-2009, 04:53 PM
no concerns over 1 game

Chronz
12-26-2009, 04:54 PM
I thought Ron Artest was suppose to help Kobe ease up on the chucking

iggypop123
12-26-2009, 05:52 PM
lakers couldnt hit a perimeter shot to save their lives, the refs let the boys play so anything in the paint was not happening kobe was destroyed, so he kicked it out and guys flat out missed. the for the cavs they couldn't miss if they wanted to. moon banked in a 3. just one of those nights.

king4day
12-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Did anyone honestly think LA would light up the Cavs like the article states?
That's a stupid statement for him to say.

It's only one loss, but until they play the top 3 of the east, and own them, there will always be concern. Just like for teams that lose to other good teams.
This season isn't a lock for anyone yet.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Everyone can have a bad game.

They still top 5 in this league.

So chill.

boms-4
12-26-2009, 06:07 PM
from one bad game you say there is a concern?

DodgerorLaker?
12-26-2009, 06:13 PM
tied for best record in the NBA.Yes the bench is a joke and Bynum is soft but other than that the defending champs will be fine.It's December who peaks now? other than the bottom feeders........Change the thread to the Celtics name their players are dropping like flys.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-26-2009, 06:13 PM
They're bench isn't as good as I thought it was.

redsox0717
12-26-2009, 06:17 PM

:facepalm:

PSD: Where 50% of the users don't know the difference between there, their, and they're.

TheHoopsProphet
12-26-2009, 06:31 PM

They're 17-4 you fool. They are 6-5 when opponents shoot better on the field though.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-26-2009, 06:33 PM

PSD: Where 50% of the users don't know the difference between there, their, and they're.

PSD: Where 50% of the users actually care about stupid grammar and spelling mistakes on a forum site.

DodgerorLaker?
12-26-2009, 06:41 PM

PSD: Where 50% of the users actually care about stupid grammar and spelling mistakes on a forum site.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! exactly! not just a forum site but a sports forum site too! lame.

shizzle09
12-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Where did you get this stat from? Your ***?

lol, he's right. they're 6-5 against teams above .500 with one of those being the lucky win over the Heat.

lakerboy
12-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Just the bench, and it's been our concern the entire year. We need to kick out Farmar, play Sasha and Morrison more.

_KB24_
12-26-2009, 06:52 PM
A little concern. They still have the best player in the game but the way the supporting cast has been playing, we do not look unbeatable. But they're bound to pick it up sooner or later.

_KB24_
12-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Just the bench, and it's been our concern the entire year. We need to kick out Farmar, play Sasha and Morrison more.

We need to get rid of atleast two of them. I say trade Sasha and Morrison for a sharpshooter, we desperately need one.

TheWatcher34
12-26-2009, 07:22 PM
no concern. right after christmas eve the lakers either had a full stomach or the hot wife had to say thank you for the expensive gifts...i bet some lakers were even late for the pre game shoot around as it takes time to discover the wife's new secrets underneath :D

GspLAL
12-26-2009, 07:35 PM
The fans were throwing crap on the floor because of the failure refs not because of the loss.

But anyways, there's one concern and that's our bench, needs a bit tweaking.

$ NyC $
12-26-2009, 07:37 PM
We should try 2 send the Lakers Robinson in a package with Jeffries. I think Nate could really help the Lakers off the bench as a reliable scorer.

Toenail Clipper
12-26-2009, 07:40 PM

They are bench.
lol

xbrackattackx
12-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Hahah

DenButsu
12-26-2009, 08:23 PM
My only concern regarding the Lakers is that the Nuggets might fail to make a deadline move to reinforce their frontcourt with some size and rebounding to match up better against them in the playoffs.

But the Lakers themselves have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Grim Reaper
12-26-2009, 08:41 PM
I would definitely be concerned. The Lakers are going to be on the road for most of the next 2/3 of the season and they just got destroyed at home on Christmas by the 3rd best team in the Eastern conference. I would have to be concerned if I were a Laker fan.

superkegger
12-26-2009, 09:01 PM
It's December. Why fret in December?

DenButsu
12-26-2009, 09:20 PM
It's December. Why fret in December?

Yeah. If fans are throwing foam fingers in April, then *maybe* it's time to start worrying. But this is a Phil Jackson team, the returning champion, which has brought back nearly all of its essential personnel... hell, the Spurs routinely went through fake collapses once or twice on the way to nearly every championship they had in the 2000s as just part of the trip.

I'd imagine that right now PJ is actually taking some secret, smug satisfaction in this situation, in looking forward to using it as a "teachable moment".

td0tsfinest
12-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Just out of curiosity, is this thread staying open in the NBA forum because its the Lakers or is it because all the MODs are taking a break for Christmas.

Mendozer17
12-26-2009, 09:33 PM
lakers don"t need to worry however when the playoffs come around a scorer off the bench like nate robinson would definitely help

kblo247
12-26-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't think it is a concern.

I suspect it is just something Phil can use as motivation and something Mitch will use to tweak the roster like he does every year.

Fact is LA is great 1-6, lacking proven players 7-12, and knows exactly what 13(Walton) does but that he will miss a stretch every year early because of his father's DNA.

barreleffact
12-27-2009, 02:40 AM
my only concerns are the bench and honestly their defense. thats it rly. it was a 15 point game with cleveland shooting better than 50% and the lakers shooting worse than 40(like 36%). that tealls me even without a bench that if the lakers get calls and have an even scoring percentage, they wont easily be stopped. and as gud a defense as cleveland played, it wasnt the defense that stopped LA. they just couldnt hit. their shots were consistntly about a foot short. kobe didnt play much D at all. many times his man would score cuz kobe got to him late or wasnt around or didnt jump. it was pathetic from him

GspLAL
12-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Yeah. If fans are throwing foam fingers in April, then *maybe* it's time to start worrying. But this is a Phil Jackson team, the returning champion, which has brought back nearly all of its essential personnel... hell, the Spurs routinely went through fake collapses once or twice on the way to nearly every championship they had in the 2000s as just part of the trip.

I'd imagine that right now PJ is actually taking some secret, smug satisfaction in this situation, in looking forward to using it as a "teachable moment".

I don't doubt that but there's no question our bench is weak ATM. We just have to wait till Luke Walton comes back and see how everything goes because he was giving us good minutes before he got injured.

JayW_1023
12-27-2009, 06:02 AM
Just because they laid a stinker on national TV, no reason for concern. They are still the team to beat.