PDA

View Full Version : TJ Ford - Worst 3pt Shooter in the League?

KnicksorBust
12-26-2009, 10:48 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3711/gamelog;_ylt=AjWZU3CwH.kOqBTVBrHuAfzQPKB4

After starting the season by missing his first 18 three-point field goal attempts. Ford has since made 1 of 9 to make him a total of 1 for 28 from downtown on the season. This puts him at an anemic 3.6% from 3pt. Ford's career 3pt percentage is currently at 29.7%. This begs the question is TJ Ford the worst 3pt shooter in the league that currently shoots at least 1 per game.

TheKing23
12-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Wow... Those are some awful numbers. Surely Jim O'Brien needs to pull him aside and tell him to stop throwing them up.

DeShawn Stevenson is stinking it up a bit... 4-35 which is 11%. The difference is Stevenson is usually a fairly decent three shooter (33.7% for his career). He made 158 threes in the 07-08 season whereas TJ has never been known for his outside shot (the most he's ever made in a season is 35 in 05-06 and 08-09).

But yeah TJ Ford is definitely up there.

Kakaroach
12-26-2009, 12:09 PM
He's always had a pretty bad shot, didn't think it was this horrid though. Not what you'd like to see from your PG.

azkarraga
12-26-2009, 12:35 PM
The airball champ.

ink
12-26-2009, 01:05 PM
This is the main reason why many Raptors fans wanted to get rid of him. Every team in the league knew that they should leave TJ open at the 3pt line because they could easily sucker him into taking bad shots. Really killed the flow of any offence. One and done Ford.

ThuglifeJ
12-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Matt Barnes is terrible from 3 this year

KnicksorBust
12-26-2009, 03:03 PM
This is the main reason why many Raptors fans wanted to get rid of him. Every team in the league knew that they should leave TJ open at the 3pt line because they could easily sucker him into taking bad shots. Really killed the flow of any offence. One and done Ford.

Interesting. He shoots a good % and gets good points/assists numbers because he's so quick. I really had no idea he was this bad until I saw on my yahoo basketball league that Earl Watson is starting now.

Matt Barnes is terrible from 3 this year

True but at 20% he's still killing TJ ford's 3.6%. I mean that's just not even realistic. I can't imagine anyone who could possibly be worse.

ink
12-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Interesting. He shoots a good % and gets good points/assists numbers because he's so quick. I really had no idea he was this bad until I saw on my yahoo basketball league that Earl Watson is starting now.

He has an excellent pull-up jump shot from the elbow which drives up his shooting %, but he seems to have convinced himself that he can deliver the same shots from outside and he can't. He has very limited range, and the shots he hits for a good % are almost always from exactly the same spot. His speed is great ... when he can control it that is. Dynamic player whose decision making skills can't keep up with his feet.

True but at 20% he's still killing TJ ford's 3.6%. I mean that's just not even realistic. I can't imagine anyone who could possibly be worse.

Because the Raptors were a jump-shot happy team for several years, they've had this problem with a series of players -- like Fred Jones, Jamario Moon, and TJ Ford. Dare any of those players to take an ill-advised three and they will. It's sweet for the opposition to be able to control a team as easily as that. Just dare them into a one and done situation and watch the Raptors go stone cold for long stretches. That's why Colangelo has tried to shake up the team so much this year.