PDA

View Full Version : Van Gundy wants no more games during Christmas and special holidays

Raps18-19 Champ
12-25-2009, 07:59 PM
The Magic play games on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day this season.

"I think we get a little carried away with ourselves with sports thinking we're more important than everything else," Van Gundy said before the game. "But that's the way it is. There's nothing more important than the NBA on Christmas Day."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4771681

I agree. The season is already long as it is and you want them to play during holidays?

I'm sure players wouldn't mind taking a paycut of some sort to stop holiday games.

And that sucks for the Magic that they can't be around family for 3 of the biggest holidays on the calendar.

*Superman*
12-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah I can see what he is talking about, that lose ruined my Christmas.:(

ManRam
12-25-2009, 08:06 PM
I agree too. I can't imagine the players would rather be playing games than being at home with their families.

It also ruined my Christmas dinner. I admittedly got in a much worse mood. But after dinner, when I realized the Lakers were getting stomped, I perked up again.

SA5195
12-25-2009, 08:24 PM
That does suck

uncleben989
12-25-2009, 08:31 PM
I agree too. I can't imagine the players would rather be playing games than being at home with their families.

It also ruined my Christmas dinner. I admittedly got in a much worse mood. But after dinner, when I realized the Lakers were getting stomped, I perked up again.

ruined how? sorry werent u one of the guys whos favorite teams is all the best ones in the league, i mean really hard to see how a guy can be devastated by a loss for a team, when he has so many in his heart

LakeShowRaider
12-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Man tell those fools to shut up. You punks are getting paid millions of dollars to play a game. Entertain me on my break.

ManRam
12-25-2009, 08:42 PM
ruined how? sorry werent u one of the guys whos favorite teams is all the best ones in the league, i mean really hard to see how a guy can be devastated by a loss for a team, when he has so many in his heart

Yeah. Because when I was 10 years old the Sox (born in Boston), Magic, Bucs and Gators (grew up in Florida, and New York...but despise NY teams) were all so good.

Thank's Uncle Ben! Happy Holidays.

Evolution23
12-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Man tell those fools to shut up. You punks are getting paid millions of dollars to play a game. Entertain me on my break.

yes

CELTICSBANNER18
12-25-2009, 08:48 PM
lol i know what he is saying and it does make sense players being with family than playing a game. But what about thanksgiving day football. They wont cancell it because they will have so many people viewing these games it is ridicuolus

ManRam
12-25-2009, 08:49 PM

I don't know dude. 90% of America probably has today off. Why shouldn't they? Magic players wont get to spend any of the three major holidays with their families. That sucks. And yes, despite the milllions, I'd say that' not fair.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Unless it is like a national tradition, they shouldn't play games during big holidays.

Mauersota
12-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I think Christmas day should definitely be a day off, let there be games X-Mas eve if you really want. Other holidays are open for debate though IMO.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I'd give 1-2 mil not to play for those holidays.

uncleben989
12-25-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't know dude. 90% of America probably has today off. Why shouldn't they? Magic players wont get to spend any of the three major holidays with their families. That sucks. And yes, despite the milllions, I'd say that' not fair.

sorry dude....i mistaken u for another dude...my bad again..
theres this one guy who i swear has San Antonio, L.A., Cleveland, Boston, and Orlando in his sig..forgot his name...but ya my bad

happy holidays to u too brotha

ManRam
12-25-2009, 08:54 PM
sorry dude....i mistaken u for another dude...my bad again..
theres this one guy who i swear has San Antonio, L.A., Cleveland, Boston, and Orlando in his sig..forgot his name...but ya my bad

happy holidays to u too brotha

Haha. It's cool. That's Raph. I made him a sig too. He claims to be a fan of basketball, not of any team. It irks me too...but more power to him, I guess.

Trouble87
12-25-2009, 09:02 PM
They don't work everyday of the year and they have the kind of money they can fly their entire family out to wherever their at on special occasions

Van Gundy needs to stop his *****ing and be thankful he has a job

Ray_R
12-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Haha. It's cool. That's Raph. I made him a sig too. He claims to be a fan of basketball, not of any team. It irks me too...but more power to him, I guess.

i asked him to but he is entitled to his own opinion.but He is missing out on feeling that you will only get from rooting for your team.The ecstacy when you win the championship and the depression when your team blows like my bulls.

TheWatcher34
12-25-2009, 09:18 PM
C's won on the road against a possible contender...Lakers got blown out on their home floor. Thank you NBA for making my Christmas day! happy holidays

tr4shb0t
12-25-2009, 09:19 PM
games on christmas have some of the worst officiating i don't blame him

WickedBadMan
12-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Boohoo Mr. Multimillionaire.

As long as he is open to a nice pay cut, sure.

NightMayer1558
12-25-2009, 11:03 PM
I can see where he's coming from but the sports leagues will never do it.

Attracts too many viewers and too much money.

Sports Illustrator
12-25-2009, 11:10 PM
The NBA will not keep a reminder of what Van Gundy said about not wanting any games during holidays.

I definitely understand his viewpoint though and it should be a day for family. However, the reason why they have games all day is for people like me who are home with their family all day and watch every single game. I wouldn't mind if there weren't any games on though because I know that the players need to spend time with their families as well.

iggypop123
12-25-2009, 11:40 PM
i think a quintuple header is too much

CowboysKB24
12-26-2009, 12:00 AM
It is all about the money. Also they are getting millions... I don't make nearly as much as that and my work requires me to work on holidays. I personally enjoy the holiday games and think they should play on them.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-26-2009, 12:15 AM
the Celtics flew their families to Orlando. I do not feel bad that athletes have to play on holidays. Sports are an integral part of our society. I almost always have some game on TV in the background. The fans, intensity, and fun of sports represents the holidays.

Teeboy1487
12-26-2009, 12:28 AM
A bad sports Christmas for me. Lakers lost and the Celtics won :mad:. About the games being on Christmas, I actually like it. These players get paid plenty of money todo a job, so they can adapt.

CowboysKB24
12-26-2009, 03:02 AM

I agree. The season is already long as it is and you want them to play during holidays?

I'm sure players wouldn't mind taking a paycut of some sort to stop holiday games.

And that sucks for the Magic that they can't be around family for 3 of the biggest holidays on the calendar.

They earn millions and millions of dollars a year, a few months off, the best of everything all the time (food, hotels, limos, buses, training, health, clothes, airplanes, room service, hot tubs, pools, massage, anything they want), and you think the season is too long and they should be off of work on holidays? Like I said in my previous post... it is a business, it is about making money. They only play this game for 10 years. They play BASKETBALL for a living.

Van Gundy has his head so far up his *** he can't even realize how lucky he and the other guys that are apart of this league are. Gundy is a piece of crap for even saying that and complaining about working on holidays. If they don't want to work on holidays get a different job.

abe_froman
12-26-2009, 03:07 AM
i think a quintuple header is too much

this.

one or two is good

BayAreaSportF@n
12-26-2009, 03:33 AM
Van Gundy just upset they lost. He needs to understand its an entertainment business and holidays are the biggest day aka biggest money makers so nothing will ever change.

static_inferno
12-26-2009, 03:54 AM
well, David Stern is a Jew...

i totally agree. while it's fun to have these games to watch during the holidays, you have to consider the players and their families during these days. and when your team loses, like my Lakers did today, it makes the holiday feel like ****.

*Superman*
12-26-2009, 04:30 AM
:nod: Did you watch the Magic game.

the Celtics flew their families to Orlando. I do not feel bad that athletes have to play on holidays. Sports are an integral part of our society. I almost always have some game on TV in the background. The fans, intensity, and fun of sports represents the holidays.
I heard both the Celtics and the Magic players took their families to Disney on the 24th. Kinda shocking.

A bad sports Christmas for me. Lakers lost and the Celtics won :mad:. About the games being on Christmas, I actually like it. These players get paid plenty of money todo a job, so they can adapt.

Yeah, as much as I hate the Lakers for winning the Championship, the Cavs win moved them up and Boston kept 1.

azkarraga
12-26-2009, 05:39 AM
Oh, it's got to be hard, almost unhuman, to play on Xmas eve, so the hardworking people who pays you can watch you play on her day out. Yes, it's got to be hard. If Van Gundy doesnt like to play when it's good for us, watchers and payers, he might as well quit.

spreadeagle
12-26-2009, 05:47 AM

I'm sure players wouldn't mind taking a paycut of some sort to stop holiday .games.

Are you kidding me!!!!!! First off these guys make crazy money I would'nt feel sorry for them if they had to play every day all year.They play a game thats really fun for a few hours every 2 or 3 days and get paid millions.People in my family work at a hospital and always have to work christmas and new year and get paid like 2o bucks an hour.Also all the regular people like myself really enjoy a day to relax and watch ball all day with our familys.Im sure during the summer these dudes take there familys all over the world.

Hustla23
12-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Last time I checked these dudes make millions of dollars to play a game, and I, along with all the other fans, pay big time money to sponsor them on their lavish lifestyles.

Just shut up Van Gundy.

This guy gets more and more annoying everyday.

If the fans want entertainment on a holiday, then they should get it.

The fans are what make the damn league in the first place.

LanceUpperCut
12-26-2009, 11:48 AM

Ya every game other than the lakers Cavs game was pretty ******.

LanceUpperCut
12-26-2009, 11:49 AM
I'd give 1-2 mil not to play for those holidays.

Dude you must be loaded.

thephoenixson28
12-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't know dude. 90% of America probably has today off. Why shouldn't they? Magic players wont get to spend any of the three major holidays with their families. That sucks. And yes, despite the milllions, I'd say that' not fair. I'm one of those 10% and it sucks.

CowboysKB24
12-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Any of you that agree with Gundy are pathetic and obviously don't understand the concept of hard work. Millions and millions of people work on holidays that don't make millions and millions of dollars. You don't see them complaining? What a joke.