PDA

View Full Version : Should the Nets Trade Harris?

elite_status
12-25-2009, 03:50 PM
its pretty obvious that Harris will never be a 1st option on a good team.
He's turning 27 next year and I dont think he should be part of the young core. Plus, he has really stepped down this year and it was all because of VC that he was an all-star last year.
should the Nets trade him, if so, for who?

Rockets Fanatic
12-25-2009, 03:54 PM
no, but they should shop him if they get #1 Pick

barreleffact
12-25-2009, 03:55 PM
wait till u get j wall then trade him.. or let j wall b mentored a bit by him first

Kakaroach
12-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah keep him until the off-season and see whether or not you get the #1 pick. Even then, a back-court of Harris and Wall might work.

ManRam
12-25-2009, 03:58 PM
It depends. I don't think they should now...maybe in the off season or during next year. It depends who they get in the draft, and who they can get in the off season. But I think they should approach this off season with the idea that he is expendable and replaceable.

I'm not a Harris fan, so I agree that he can't ever be a first option. On a good team I think he can be a winner, but not as the #1 offensive threat.

bigsams50
12-25-2009, 03:59 PM
It depends on what they can get in return

TheKing23
12-25-2009, 04:06 PM
At the moment, no.

You're right, he will never be the first option on a good team, but he's a great second/third option alongside a superstar. A trio of Harris, Lopez and <insert superstar here> will contend in the East. They already have a great PG and C duo, all they need is a great wing player and they'll be set.

elite_status
12-25-2009, 04:15 PM
The thing about Harris that really pisses me off is that he plays no defense whatsoever. And coming from Dallas, where he was one of the elite perimeter defenders in the league, I know he's more than capable of playing good defense.

Sports Illustrator
12-25-2009, 04:22 PM
The Nets shouldn't trade him right now. They should try to see if he can improve himself back a little more, boost his value and see what happens with the NBA draft. If they get the #1 overall pick and are able to pick John Wall, then trading Devin Harris is certainly a possibility.

Iodine
12-25-2009, 04:35 PM
harris for morrison and farmer lololololol

jimbobjarree
12-25-2009, 04:47 PM
harris for randolph+gsw 1st maybe....get wall to replace harris....wall-FA-CDR-Randolph-Brook

boms-4
12-25-2009, 05:03 PM
trade him to a contender looking for depth at PG for a playoff push

blastmasta26
12-25-2009, 05:30 PM
The Nets have a bright future. Harris is 27 and entering his prime. Sure he won't be a #1 option but he's not gonna be the only one in NJ. They have a blossoming center in Lopez and some good wing players in CDR, Lee, and maybe Terrence Williams (I haven't seen enough of him to say). They also have a high lottery pick this year, top 5 definitely and cap space to sign a big name free agent.

If they get John Wall, maybe they should look to trade Harris for a PF to complement Lopez.

TheKing23
12-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I'd love to have him on the Cavs... He's a shoot first PG, so i'm sure he could fit in at the 2 spot (although he'd be undersized at 6'3).

If they want even more cap room (pretty much all Cleveland can offer) I think a Big Z, JJ Hickson and 1st rounder for Devin Harris and Yi Jianlian could benefit both teams. Cavs would get a great 2nd option in Devin and a PF who can stretch the floor with Yi. The Nets would have about $38 million in cap room (not including the salary of their first rounder)... That's enough for two max contracts and a solid role player. I think they are giving up on the Yi project as well. They get an extra first round pick and a solid prospect in Hickson. The average age of the team would be about 13 but it would set the team perfectly and be an attractive place for a free agent... A young new franchise (Brooklyn?), a possible no. 1 overall pick and a completely new slate for a superstar to carve his own dynasty.

Yes, this trade benefits Cleveland more initially, but it's a buyers market and the Cleveland front office is willing to spend. This move would further help the Cavs contend in their most important season in history.

PG: Mo Williams
SG: Devin Harris
SF: LeBron James
PF: Yi Jianlian
C: Shaquille O'Neal

Of course I don't expect this to happen, just throwing out a potential scenario. I think the Nets should hold on to him, but this deal could benefit both teams in different ways.

Hellcrooner
12-25-2009, 06:08 PM
not if the want to add one of the big name FA.

best case scenario the land the first pick.

they trade the pick to memphis for the rights to resing as restricted fa GAY then sign stoudamire or bosh.

Harris, Lee, Gay, Bosh(or stou) + Lopez

perfect

bahama0811
12-25-2009, 06:10 PM
No, I don't think you trade him. He's only 27 and he's got a lot of good years left in him to help the Nets.

TheKing23
12-25-2009, 06:17 PM
not if the want to add one of the big name FA.

best case scenario the land the first pick.

they trade the pick to memphis for the rights to resing as restricted fa GAY then sign stoudamire or bosh.

Harris, Lee, Gay, Bosh(or stou) + Lopez

perfect

Wall for Gay???

Player's like Rudy come around every draft, John Wall could be the best first overall since LeBron...

No way should the Nets do that if they get the first pick.

blastmasta26
12-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Wall for Gay???

Player's like Rudy come around every draft, John Wall could be the best first overall since LeBron...

No way should the Nets do that if they get the first pick.
Harris for Gay would be a better deal. And with Wall, they would still attract a big name free agent. Bosh would be a perfect complement to Lopez.

Tony_Starks
12-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Hell no! He's practically an all star and good young PG's are hard to come by. He's also an important piece to attracting FA's.

Sox Appeal
12-25-2009, 07:37 PM
It depends. I don't think they should now...maybe in the off season or during next year. It depends who they get in the draft, and who they can get in the off season. But I think they should approach this off season with the idea that he is expendable and replaceable.

I'm not a Harris fan, so I agree that he can't ever be a first option. On a good team I think he can be a winner, but not as the #1 offensive threat.

Agreed completely. If they end up with the #1, then they'll obviously take Wall, and Harris would more then likely end up being traded.

He's already proven in Dallas, he's capable of being the starting PG, on a championship contender. He'll never be a #1 option, but if you surround him with an elite player (LeBron, Wade, Melo, etc) he's more then capable of being the #2 on a championship team.

arkanian215
12-25-2009, 09:47 PM
harris is one of the best known quantities on the nets. what kinda FA would bank on contending on a team with a bunch of guys who have at most been in the league for three years (not counting najera and dooling of course and dooling might not even be there).

RaptorsFanatic
12-25-2009, 09:52 PM
What the hell?

Hands down, PSD members are the most overreacting NBA fans on the face of this planet.

JIDsanity
12-25-2009, 10:11 PM
What the hell?

Hands down, PSD members are the most overreacting NBA fans on the face of this planet.

+1 *2
Let him play, he is beginning to return to shape in a few weeks we will start talking about should Harris be in the ASG. But I swear this forum reminds me of some of the most ridiculous moments in south park

LovatoLover
12-25-2009, 10:49 PM
ok you know AS SOON as they trade harris, the nets will lose the draft lottery haha. let them win the lottery first and then they can rob a team who loses or thinks theyll lose out on the 2010 shopping spree.

NightMayer1558
12-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Only if they end up with Wall or another solid younger PG.

And even then they could benefit from keeping him as a veteran leader for awhile while the others develop.

So, no, not now.

runforrestrunx9
12-25-2009, 11:14 PM
nope cuz sixers r gettin wall :)

Hyland
12-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Trade him while his value is good.

Build around Lopez and Wall.

Hyland
12-26-2009, 05:10 PM
No, I don't think you trade him. He's only 27 and he's got a lot of good years left in him to help the Nets.

27 is like the average NBA age, Harris isn't young anymore.

Chronz
12-26-2009, 05:29 PM
LOL heavens no, guys with his ratio of productivity to salary are simply to great of an asset for a team to trade for the reasons you gave. Hes not playing as well because there is nothing to play for really. He was injured in the early going and the team played at a level reserved for the very worst in league history. Doesnt really get the competitive juices flowing does it. Devin will be at his best next year with the team ready to build around/with him at that point.

KnicksorBust
12-26-2009, 05:37 PM
No. People need to stop assuming the Nets have John Wall already. It's a 25% at best.

iggypop123
12-26-2009, 05:53 PM
the #1 worst team never gets the pick anyways. they will have cap room anyways.