PDA

View Full Version : Best storyline for NBA Finals?

Ty Fast
12-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Lakers vs. Boston

TheKing23
12-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Shaq and Kobe going head to head for their 5th ring.

Chronz
12-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Personally it depends on the level of play of the marquee players on the team in the playoffs. Like if Shaq is still playing the way he is now in the opening rounds, Id rather Cleveland not get embarrassed by LA. If the Celtics rebounding doesnt ..... err rebound then I dont want to see them get smashed on put backs by the Lakers frontcourt so Id want to see a frontcourt that could rival them, that leaves only the Magic, but they can only compete if Vince has something left in the tank. Realistically it will take him defending Kobe as well as he always has, only this time in full playoff mode, and not playing as bad as he always has offensively against him + Artest.

Its tough but Im holding out for Shaq/Big Z. Big Z because he will still control atleast 35-40% of the teams minutes at the 5. But if Shaq starts playing at anywhere close to last years efficiency thats all they need. They really dont need much help for Bron.

LanceUpperCut
12-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Raptors vs. Lakers

Canada vs. U.S.A.

Not going to happen but would be great for the NBA in Canada and the World with all the divesity on are team. Then Bosh would stay for sure. We would have tons of non NBA fans in Canada watching just to see if we could beat the US at thier sport and the other way around.

bigsams50
12-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Bobcats vs Nuggets

Durant is hype
12-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Lakers vs Cavs.

JordansBulls
12-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Nuggets or Mavs vs Magic or Cavs

2 teams that have never won a title to show that you don't need to be in a marquee city to win a title.

RocketsRule
12-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Love how it's only the Lakers in the poll :laugh2:

But either way I'd choose Lakers and Cavs. Shaq and Kobe in the finals just seems appropriate.

Sofa King
12-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Lakers vs Cavs
LeBron vs Kobe
Kobe vs Shaq
Shaq vs Bynum
And so on...

JasonJohnHorn
12-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Why are the Lakers in every match-up? Ideally from the West I'd like to see the Spurs. But I'd also like to see Denver pull it off. And out east I'd like to see Atlanta make some noise. How a great a story would that be? Denver vs. Atlanta? Sure, it'd get bad ratings and the big markets would be pissed, but I'd love to see to underdogs teams with hard work ethic pound out the big names and big markets and grind it out in a seven game series in the finals.

I'd also like to see Duncan and the Spurs get one last ring and show the Lakers that maintaining a dynasty isn't easy.

I'd even like to see Iverson play into the team and Elton Brand return to form and have the 76ers battle their way into the finals.

There are all kinds of great potential story lines, not all of them have to involve the Lakers!

B.JenningsMVP
12-24-2009, 04:26 PM
La bos

juggla53
12-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Raptors vs. Lakers

Canada vs. U.S.A.

Not going to happen but would be great for the NBA in Canada and the World with all the divesity on are team. Then Bosh would stay for sure. We would have tons of non NBA fans in Canada watching just to see if we could beat the US at thier sport and the other way around.

I think were a long way from seeing Toronto in the NBA Finals. The Hedo signing hasnt worked out the way they thought it would and bosh seems very likeley to be gone after this year, Unless toronto can completley outbid every other team i dont see Bosh wanting to stay there. I think what will happen with Bosh is going to be similar to what happen to Pau Gasol in Memphis where that hes not quite good enough to build a championship caliber team around him but if you put him with another superstar like the lakers putting Pau as Kobe's sidekick then watchout. If Miami can re-sign wade and pickup bosh (from what ive heard they have the money for both) then you'd have a very strong young nucleus with Wade Bosh, and Beasley as your 3rd option. A team with those three already in the fold wouldnt have much of a problem picking up aging stars looking for cheaper short term deals for a shot at a title.

G-Funk
12-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Boston:

Celtics vs Lakers(rivalry)
Kobe vs. Allen
Kobe vs. Pierce
Artest vs. Pierce
Bynum vs. Perkins
Gasol vs. Garnett
Odom vs. Rasheed
08 champs vs 09 champs

Cavs:

Kobe vs. Lebron
Kobe vs. Shaq
That's all you really need.

asandhu23
12-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Storyline? NBA is not supposed to have storylines

Fireworld
12-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Lakers VS Celtics would be great but Kobe VS Shaq for the fifth ring sounds appetizing too!

LAKERMANIA
12-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Lakers vs. Boston

Finals rematch
Long storied rivalry
08 champs v. 09 Champs

Sly Guy
12-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Denver vs Portland.....

:p

G-Funk
12-24-2009, 05:02 PM
^ in the finals?

G-Funk
12-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Now that I think about it it should be Celtics, I already see Lebron fans crying about how Lebron has no help.

Sly Guy
12-24-2009, 05:04 PM
^ in the finals?

Of course!
If only the earth's tectonic plates would cooperate

G-Funk
12-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Of course!
If only the earth's tectonic plates would cooperate

:facepalm: they're in the same conforence.

asandhu23
12-24-2009, 05:05 PM
^ in the finals?

Oh yes. NBA is going to adopt the Top 16 teams of NBA in playoffs system. Matchups will be made using the same method used in World Cup Draw.

smith&wesson
12-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Denver vs cavs

i wanna see lebron and melo go head to head.

Or

lakers vs heat

wade vs kobe.

Sly Guy
12-24-2009, 05:11 PM
:facepalm: they're in the same conforence.

dude, it's elementary.

First, the Juan de Fuca plate would have to shift underneath the city of portland, then continue to shift eastward on the North American plate until it passes the 90th longitude line and Portland ceases to be a port city, and their basketball team is forced to join the eastern conference.

Sure, the rockies and the fact the de Fuca plate would be travelling overtop of another tectonic plate might pose a problem, but it could happen.

Fayzon10
12-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Why are the Lakers in every match-up? Ideally from the West I'd like to see the Spurs. But I'd also like to see Denver pull it off. And out east I'd like to see Atlanta make some noise. How a great a story would that be? Denver vs. Atlanta? Sure, it'd get bad ratings and the big markets would be pissed, but I'd love to see to underdogs teams with hard work ethic pound out the big names and big markets and grind it out in a seven game series in the finals.

I'd also like to see Duncan and the Spurs get one last ring and show the Lakers that maintaining a dynasty isn't easy.

I'd even like to see Iverson play into the team and Elton Brand return to form and have the 76ers battle their way into the finals.

There are all kinds of great potential story lines, not all of them have to involve the Lakers! Because from what it looks like right now the only team that looks like they might have a slight chance at beating LA in a seven game series is Denver and that's a slight chance. The Lakers are head and shoulders above every other team in the west and would have the edge against any team in the west in a 7 game series. But I would like to see the Lakers vs Cavs in the finals but I see Boston getting back to the finals against the Lakers and that would be a hell of a series... I think that's the only team the Lakers have on their radar.

Mavrix
12-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Anything that doesn't involve the Lakers.

junion
12-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Suns vs Knicks

d'antoni's guys vs d'antoni's old guys... every game, each team will score 120+ points! it'll be like the all-star game's pace.. minus most the all-stars

Raph12
12-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Lakers vs Magic - Magic win
Lakers vs Celtics - Lakers win
Lakers vs Cavaliers - Cavaliers win

JasonJohnHorn
12-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Because from what it looks like right now the only team that looks like they might have a slight chance at beating LA in a seven game series is Denver and that's a slight chance. The Lakers are head and shoulders above every other team in the west and would have the edge against any team in the west in a 7 game series. But I would like to see the Lakers vs Cavs in the finals but I see Boston getting back to the finals against the Lakers and that would be a hell of a series... I think that's the only team the Lakers have on their radar.

I know the Lakers are good, but there is a reason we have the playoffs. The Mavs had the best record in the league a couple years ago and got knocked out in the first round. I know its likely that the Lakers will be in the finals and that they will repeat given their talent, but when a team is playing well going into the playoffs, the the Miami Heat did when they won it, regular season records don't matter. The Mavs, Nuggets and most especially the Spurs have enough talent to beat the Lakers in a seven game series, especially considering the fact the the Houston Rockets just aout took the Lakers out last year and the Magic were in every game of the finals last year and had Howard hit a free throw that series might have gone the other way.

Nothing is written in stone and there are teams other than the Lakers in the west that people would like to see in the finals, so in that respect the options are pretty limitted in this poll.

RaiderLakersA's
12-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Nuggets or Mavs vs Magic or Cavs

2 teams that have never won a title to show that you don't need to be in a marquee city to win a title.

Good point. But I would not watch the Finals, if either the Mavs or the Nuggets make it. I'd rather see San Antonio, Phoenix, heck, even Golden State.

As for the OP, if the Lakers are in it, you are going to need a more compelling storyline than Kobe going for his 5th ring to make it work. LeBron shooting for his first ring (and as a subplot, Shaq's 5th ring) would likely be the most compelling from a casual viewer standpoint.

But for true NBA afficianados, it has to be Celtics-Lakers. The last two champions, both retooled and -- God-willing -- healthy and at full strength in a battle to end once and for all the conversation about who is the better TEAM. Think about that. It's not going to be about one or two players, but about the whole unit getting it done or falling flat on their faces. No excuses. No quarter asked, and none given. That's what I'd like to see.

ThuglifeJ
12-25-2009, 01:10 AM
I want to see a Magic Lakers rematch. The last finals was lame imo, Magic had no chance. Id like to see the Magic in the finals now with a guy that can actually create his own shot/go to guy, VC. +I love Rashard Lewis.

but for real best storyline? Id go with Cavs Lakers, despite the Celtics Lakers rivalry. Who will win their 5th ring Shaq or Kobe? And Kobe vs Lebron, where of course Kobe averages 32 ppg 9 assists. While Lebron averages -2 ppg and completly embarrasses himself, that'd make my year.

Toenail Clipper
12-25-2009, 01:41 AM
New Jersey Nets vs Minnesota Timberwolves.

Lakers vs Cavs already, I don't want rematches, I just want for LeBron to get demolished

ZebraCity916
12-25-2009, 02:22 AM
Either Boston/LA or LA/Cleveland.

I could see Shaq stepping up his game in the finals if it was against Kobe and the Lakers. That would make the series really fun to watch in my opinion.

I think a Boston/LA series would be really good though. Especially if both teams are fully healthy. I could see it being a really heated series. A lot of good match-ups. I could see it going to 7 games and every game being decided by 5 or less.

mshan5
12-25-2009, 02:55 AM
I'd go with Cavs and Lakers. But how come noone ever talks about the possibility of Cavs/Nuggets with the Melo-Bron match-up?

iluvsports2much
12-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Shaq and Kobe going head to head for their 5th ring.

this is easily tha best storyline... even tho Boston and LA are bigger rivals,shaq vs. kobe for the 5th chip is even bigger...and oh,the planets best 2 players would be goin head up all series...

BradAlmighty29
12-25-2009, 03:06 AM
So the Lakers are a lock huh? I didn't realize they were the only team in the West capable of going to the Finals :_

Ty Fast
12-27-2009, 03:49 AM
I want to see a Magic Lakers rematch. The last finals was lame imo, Magic had no chance. Id like to see the Magic in the finals now with a guy that can actually create his own shot/go to guy, VC. +I love Rashard Lewis.

but for real best storyline? Id go with Cavs Lakers, despite the Celtics Lakers rivalry. Who will win their 5th ring Shaq or Kobe? And Kobe vs Lebron, where of course Kobe averages 32 ppg 9 assists. While Lebron averages -2 ppg and completly embarrasses himself, that'd make my year.

last years final was closer than what people think. Inexperience was what really killed the Magic. They were really close to winning all of those games except the first one, but I guess almost dosn't cut it.

fairandbalanced
12-27-2009, 03:59 AM
Heat v. Mavs

Jack of Blades
12-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Heat v. Mavs

God I want a rematch :mad:

Swift n Sil3nt
12-27-2009, 04:14 AM
Lakers vs Magic - Magic win
Lakers vs Celtics - Lakers win
Lakers vs Cavaliers - Cavaliers win

I actually think you would be 0-3 in that scenario

Theanswer76
12-27-2009, 04:25 AM
The rock vs stone cold

LovatoLover
12-27-2009, 05:18 AM
how about a matchup we havent seen?? that would make me interested. You know this question is easy, its Lakers vs Cavs. David Stern wants it and so does ABC

just watch during the playoffs an you can quote me on this EVERY call will go those two teams way during the playoffs just so we can see them go 7 games. Christmas day was one off day by the lakers, if they meet up in a series it will be a battle and its what the nba wants.

Personally I believe the NBA should institute a rule for this year that if your not above .500 your not allowed in the playoffs.

eugene
12-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Are there any threads without Lakers being involved?? Never hated but already f*cked up with all this Lakers-Kobe stuff. I'm starting to count the years when this guy will retire...

Reversed86Curse
12-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Spurs vs Celtics

Two defense-first veteran teams, would be great for a 7 game series

deuces
12-27-2009, 10:59 AM
lakers vs cavs

kobe playing with not just a broken finger, but with a broken hand, and lebron with a broken leg

#1Mavericksfan
12-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Any team but the Lakers and I don't even care if it's the Spurs in the finals.....no more Lakers.

Ty Fast
12-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Any team but the Lakers and I don't even care if it's the Spurs in the finals.....no more Lakers.

i hear you man. i like to see new teams in the finals and new teams win the title in any sport. when i made the poll i should have put an "other" option

LovatoLover
12-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Spurs vs Celtics

Two defense-first veteran teams, would be great for a 7 game series

ummm you can watch that anytime you want.... its called the wnba