PDA

View Full Version : Should Toronto Trade Jose Calderon

JasonJohnHorn
12-24-2009, 02:18 AM
Being from Canada I like to see Toronto do well, but I'm a realist. This team is going nowhere this season and Bosh is bound to bolt (and I don't blame him if he does, the Raptors should have been able to build something more around him). That said it seems silly for the Raptors to be paying big contracts to guys like Calder and even Turkaglu for that matter.

I've been a big fan of Calderon's game, a pass-first point guard who doesn't need to dominate the ball and shoots over .500 from the floor, .400 from behind the arc and .900 from the free throw line (last year at any rate). He racks up crazy assists and has low turnovers. I really think that Calderon is an ideal role-playing point guard for title contender. I'm not a Lakers fan, but I'd love to see Calderon playing in that system with Odom and Gasol. I'd even like to see him in Boston splitting time with Rondo (he'd be great with Allen, Pierce and Garnett on the floor). I think the Mavs would play better with Calderon over Kidd (Kidd just can't shoot and Calderon's stroke would open the floor up Dirk and others). And the Magic might be surprisingly better than they are now with Calderon starting over Nelson.

Toronto would do well by themselves to clear some cap space and get some draft picks and I think there are several potential contenders that would do well to have Calderon handling the point. Anybody out there want to see Calderon on their team?

jayball41
12-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Calderon's not big enough to play the triangle with the Lakers, Rondo is better and has much more upside for the Celts, and Nelson is already a good pg for the Magic so why would they give up draft picks to get another good one. Yeah maybe the Mav's could use him but honestly I think they'd have a hard time moving him for more than a young bench player and maybe a 20-30 pick in the draft.

kEviN21
12-24-2009, 02:49 AM
Toronto needs to build around Jose, Hedo, and Andrea. Trading Jose for filler contracts and draft picks won't get this team to the playoffs.

iggypop123
12-24-2009, 02:56 AM
if you want cap room this is not the yr to search for it, people dont want to give it up

Big Game Son
12-24-2009, 03:00 AM
I think Jose off the bench now. I see him realizing that he could win 6th man of the year in the future doing this. He could be like our Manu..but not scoring rather setting up n stuff...honestly its possible.

Iodine
12-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Before I even go into this HOW THE LIVING HELL WOULD CALDERONS CONTRACT END UP IN EITHER OF THOSE THREE SITUATIONS

His D is by far one of the least beautiful things in the NBA and since this is an era in the NBA where the drive and dish is so important he routinely lets people go off.
lets get the numbers out of the way
he has negative D win shares
His D rating is worse than such failures as Mo Williams, Nash, Nelson, and a bunch more.
Also for such a good ball controller and passer (you indirectly said he was better than rondo, kidd) his best turnover percentage season wouldnt touch chris pauls best 4.
And Dallas needs to trade for him? Dallas is a top ten Defensive team and is a above average to good offensive team (how the hell they do it with kidd, dampier, and marion all getting lots of burn is beyond me even with das dirk).
Calderon cant stop his man at all, and isnt a good help defender, oh yeah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZRVYkHDfP4
that means absouloutly nothing relevent but neither does your arguement

FaM0us Skins
12-24-2009, 05:19 AM
They should trade him

Hellcrooner
12-24-2009, 08:05 AM
if he goes to one of this teams i agree.

PORTLAND

LAKERS!!!!!!!

KINGS (alongside barganani and for marti)

WARRIORS for ellis

SUNS( i can wait for to eyars for nash to retire)

MAVS ^same

GRIZZLIES

KNICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEAT

PISTONS

PACERS

spreadeagle
12-24-2009, 08:24 AM
They have been playing well with Jack who is Bosh's friend and old college teamate.I could see them starting Jack and using that to try to make him resign.Also with Jose out Turkoglu has played great becoming more of a play maker with the ball in his hands.Jose to Dallas for Josh Howard or Jason Terry comes to mind out of the possible team you mentioned for trades

spreadeagle
12-24-2009, 08:25 AM
if he goes to one of this teams i agree.

PORTLAND

LAKERS!!!!!!!

KINGS (alongside barganani and for marti)

WARRIORS for ellis

SUNS( i can wait for to eyars for nash to retire)

MAVS ^same

GRIZZLIES

KNICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEAT

PISTONS

PACERS

Jose and Bargs for Kevin Martin sounds really intresting....They just signed Bargs to a extension but that makes a whole lot of sense for both teams!

lakerboy
12-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Morrison and Farmar. I'm in!!!!!!

Iodine
12-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Jose and Bargs for Kevin Martin sounds really intresting....They just signed Bargs to a extension but that makes a whole lot of sense for both teams!

oh and dont pay attention to the whole the kings would have to give up around 5.5 mil(guess) for this trade to work. rules dont matter

miller74
12-24-2009, 10:10 AM
He cant play defense and it really hurts his team, he would not start over Jameer Nelson that is foolish

spreadeagle
12-24-2009, 10:10 AM
oh and dont pay attention to the whole the kings would have to give up around 5.5 mil(guess) for this trade to work. rules dont matter

Well obiously kings would throw in another player or two I dont know the kings roster well enough to say who,But those would be the princepal players.Who cares this will probably never happen lol.odds Calderon gets traded 20 %

Hellcrooner
12-24-2009, 10:26 AM

ever heard bout kenny tomas?

Iodine
12-24-2009, 10:32 AM
ever heard bout kenny tomas?

Is making over 8 million dollars so no trade:facepalm:

JasonJohnHorn
12-24-2009, 10:47 AM
To all of those he said he can't play D, I concede, you are whole heartedly right, D is his weakest spot, but he hasn't had great defensive coaching and I think working with a guy like Phil Jackson, Greg Popovic or Doc Rivers, he could become a solid defender. Sometimes things like that are a matter of coaching and environment. I remember when Chauncy Billups came to Detroit everybody kept saying he could play defense, but two years later he was as good a defensive point guard as any in the league. Popovic has transformed some players like that as well. I'm not saying that that Jose would do that over night, but I think his shoot ability and his assist-to-turnover ratio makes him a unique talent and potential role player for some title contenders.

As for the Chris Paul comparison, I certainly wasn't claiming that he was a top tier point guard, just a great shooting point guard that passes first and would compliment and all-star. But the assist-to-turnover ration stands pay, Calderon's is the best in the league (almost 6-1, though Paul's around a nearly as impressive 5-1, both numbers the league hasn't seen much since John Stockton retired).

Speaking as a fan of the game, I just want to see this guy in a better system because he has a unique skill set.

jimbobjarree
12-24-2009, 10:49 AM
if they're offloading the contract the Lakers one seems the most viable. If they want talent back I think he'd fit well on the Magic if Nelson goes down with another injury, which is a possibility. Kings would only take him if they could offload one of Nocioni/Garcia/Benos contracts. Cant think of anyone else who could become contenders with him and pay that much....andre miller and outlaw for him?

LanceUpperCut
12-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Raptors forum, were not trading Jose depth at point guard is what killed us last year. I do think he might come off the bench when he comes backfor the time. The only problem with Jose starting is we have a guy named Hedo turkyglue who needs to handle the ball to be effictive. And why the **** do we have these god damn Raptor fans who keep talking like Bosh is already gone, these are the same guys who only post in our RANT threads, and would never go into a game thread and cheer your team on.

jimbobjarree
12-24-2009, 11:20 AM
boozer and memo for bosh and amir!

Sly Guy
12-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Trading jose kinda makes sense at this point. Because of turk and his ability/need to handle the ball, we need a different style of PG to be effective, one who pushes the ball, looks to be aggressive and creat their own shots more. Jack has done a reasonable job at this, and most of the reason why I believe he's looked better in the starting spot. [combined that with his new found locker room leader role as well]

When jose comes back, I see problems with the ball handling roles, countermanding the progress we're making in chemistry right now. As a result, numbers will suffer, so I'd trade jose earlier rather than later to get better value out of him. No ideas as to where or for whom, but maybe for a solid backup PG and a draft pick?

raptor fan
12-24-2009, 11:43 AM
with the team that we have right now, it makes a lot of sense to move calderon. I like the trade proposal with the lakers where we get a backup PG in farmar.

Jack is a much better fit with turkoglu, and it's just not financially viable to have a 9M PG come off the bench, when we can use that money to address the other needs on our team.

miller74
12-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Raptors forum, were not trading Jose depth at point guard is what killed us last year. I do think he might come off the bench when he comes backfor the time. The only problem with Jose starting is we have a guy named Hedo turkyglue who needs to handle the ball to be effictive. And why the **** do we have these god damn Raptor fans who keep talking like Bosh is already gone, these are the same guys who only post in our RANT threads, and would never go into a game thread and cheer your team on.

You must believe in santa to be that nieve to think bosh is coming back. And Calderons play at point guard is what killed us last year he gets absolutely exposed on defense

Kakaroach
12-24-2009, 11:51 AM
boozer and memo for bosh and amir! Ahhh yeahh. Anyway, Jose is a good PG he just doesn't play defense. Not to mention that nasty contract of his goes to 2013. They should trade him, but who will take him?

Ragun
12-24-2009, 11:52 AM
bargnani is not going anywhere. if a trade is to happen, bosh will be leaving, not bargs.

LanceUpperCut
12-24-2009, 12:03 PM
You must believe in santa to be that nieve to think bosh is coming back. And Calderons play at point guard is what killed us last year he gets absolutely exposed on defense

Us does that mean your a Raptors fan? You must be one of the trolls that hide in the rant threads. Anyway like I give a **** if you think I'm nieve, I think it's pretty stupid to think he's gone theres alot of clues pointing to him staying. I'll keep my hopes up instead of crying about everything that could go wrong.

HeirCanada
12-24-2009, 12:36 PM
If he can adjust his role in the starting line-up, he can work as effectively as Jack has been with Turkoglu. One of them needs to run with the 2nd unit though and all signs are pointing to Jose. Jack brings the D and Jose does not.

However, he has too much talent to just give up for a Farmar and Morrison. It's not time to give up on him, it would be better to mold him into an effective bench scorer and role player. That's most likely what he would end up being if he was traded anyways.

Hunter48MVP
12-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Morrison and Farmar. I'm in!!!!!!

I agree but I would rather have Kevin Martin

Jamiecballer
12-24-2009, 01:11 PM
And why the **** do we have these god damn Raptor fans who keep talking like Bosh is already gone, these are the same guys who only post in our RANT threads, and would never go into a game thread and cheer your team on.

we come into a forum to have a discussion man. going into a game thread to cheer your team on? pumping your fist in front of the tv will have just as much an effect. NONE.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Keep him.

LanceUpperCut
12-24-2009, 01:57 PM
we come into a forum to have a discussion man. going into a game thread to cheer your team on? pumping your fist in front of the tv will have just as much an effect. NONE.

I don't care if you come to the game threads but just saying anyone who only shows up to rant about whats wrong and can't ever discuss the good things is'nt there to discuss there only there to spread there hate. I'm all for critisim but if you only show up after a loss it's hard to take anything you say serious.

AddiX
12-24-2009, 03:39 PM
I bet if Antonio coached the Raptors you guys would be a top seed.

As for who should be traded, I have no clue, on paper you guys look like a damn good squad, but watching them it just doesnt work.

Legitimate
12-24-2009, 03:47 PM
IMO Dalembart + first for Calderon. Calderon is a good pg, its just that we are playing a different type of system in which he won't excel at.

masalex1205
12-24-2009, 03:57 PM
The better question is whether Tortonto could find a team to take him on?

that's a nasty/long contract he's got.

Legitimate
12-24-2009, 04:03 PM
The better question is whether Tortonto could find a team to take him on?

that's a nasty/long contract he's got.

Why not??? one of the most efficient shooters in the nba. On the right team Calderon could be really scary:)

blah-blah
12-24-2009, 04:33 PM
calderon for maggette?