PDA

View Full Version : Trades that never happened, but could have happened ...

JordansBulls
12-22-2009, 08:27 PM
ChicagoTribune (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/1257547631.html?dids=1257547631:1257547631&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Apr+20%2C+2007&author=Gordie+Jones&pub=Chicago+Tribune&edition=&startpage=5&desc=Book+says+76ers+made+bid+to+trade+Dr.+J+for+J ordan)

In an interview for a forthcoming book, [Harold Katz], the former Sixers owner, claimed that he offered [Julius Erving], the Hall of Fame forward, to Chicago on the eve of the 1984 draft for the third overall pick, which the Bulls used to select [Michael Jordan].

Dr J was 34 in MJ's rookie year and only played 3 years at the point MJ came into the league. Not worth it. Maybe if they traded Moses Malone for the #3 pick in MJ, but not Dr J who was 34 years old.

Jun 26, 1997 - Another report had Van Horn going to Chicago as part of a trade for Scottie Pippen; that was one of a number of rumors involving the Bulls' all-star forward. ... Included in that group was high schooler Tracy McGrady,

http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/901/

But he said that request fell on deaf ears. Jackson also wanted to deal Bryant to Phoenix in 1999 for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion but was told both times that owner Jerry Buss would never allow it.

Bulls were going to trade the #7 pick and a player to be named to Miami for the #5 pick in the 2003 draft to select Wade.

From 1982

Ralph Sampson would have left for the NBA early if the Lakers were guaranteed to get the #1 pick that year. Meanwhile, the Lakers were working on a blockbuster trade with 3 other teams (3rd team undisclosed). Here's how part of it would have shaped up --

Proposed Trade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-OoKxIGShw)

NY Knicks
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (from LAL)

LA Lakers
Michael Ray Richardson (from NYK)

Utah Jazz
Bill Cartwright (from NYK)

Imagine the Lakers trading Kareem during the playoffs! :eek: This was broadcast during halftime of Game 4 of the ECF (Sixers/Celtics) that year.

Those were just some of the near deals that happened.

JIMMY CONWAY
12-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Crazy to even think about...there are millions of proposals that we'll never hear about...

thephoenixson28
12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
What about Kevin garnett to phoenix, Shawn marion to the celtics, and the 5th pick to the timberwolves. Imagine Kg next to amare stoudemire and steve nash leading the team.

The reason it didn't happen cuz marion didn't want to sign a 3 year extension.

loki34
12-22-2009, 08:52 PM
What about Kevin garnett to phoenix, Shawn marion to the celtics, and the 5th pick to the timberwolves. Imagine Kg next to amare stoudemire and steve nash leading the team.

:cry:

heyman321
12-22-2009, 09:01 PM

I remember that, but I'm pretty sure it was cause Wolves wanted Stoudemire back, but Phoenix did not want to give young talent up.

PistonsFan14
12-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Did you guys hear about this? The only reason it didnt go through was Kobe had a no trade and blocked the trade i believe. WOW! :facepalm:

http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/2007/11/terms_of_pistonslakers_deal_re.html

Pistons Get:
Mr. Bryant

Lakers get:
Tayshaun Prince
Rip Hamilton
Amir Johnson
1st round draft pick

We also had a topic on the pistons forum not to long ago

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428707

Slimsim
12-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Remember LA offer Kobe for LBJ

Corey
12-22-2009, 09:41 PM
I remember that, but I'm pretty sure it was cause Wolves wanted Stoudemire back, but Phoenix did not want to give young talent up.

That's how I remember it as well.

Additionally, if the C's went in that direction, it was almost definite that Pierce would be traded, and Al Jefferson would still be in a C's jersey.

Bishnoff
12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Oh the possibilities.

Jacob K.
12-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Oh the possibilities.

worrrrd

JordansBulls
12-23-2009, 12:54 AM

When was this?

TheKing23
12-23-2009, 12:56 AM
What about the Lakers-Celtics-T'Wolves-Pacers mega deal that was in the works in the summer of 07?

http://thenastyboys.wordpress.com/2007/06/26/lakers-reportedly-in-trade-talks-involving-kevin-garnett/

As I am sure most everyone has read on ESPN.com by now there has been reported trade talks amongst the Lakers, T’Wolves, and Pacers regarding a trade involving Kevin Garnett leaving Minnesota for L.A. There is mention of a fourth team being involved in the deal as well and that team appears to be the Boston Celtics.

The trade would work something like this:
The Lakers would get Garnett from Minnesota, the Pacers would get Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum from the Lakers, the Celtics would get Jermaine O’Neal from the Pacers, and the Wolves would get Al Jefferson and the #5 pick in this year’s NBA Draft from the Celtics.

This seems like it would be a good deal for everyone, except the Boston Celtics, who were exploring a trade involving trading the #5 pick, Jefferson, and others that don’t even need to be mentioned for Garnett, until Garnett said he did not want to play for Boston and would opt out of his contract next season if traded there. This of course caused Boston to back down from their offer.

Obviously, to an extent this trade still happened... Just between the Celts and T'Wolves but imagine the outlook of the league if the mega deal had gone down...

Lakers: (Assuming they still pull off daylight robbery for Gasol and sign Ron Artest)

PG: Derek Fisher
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Ron Artest
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Pau Gasol

T'Wolves: (Assuming they keep Mayo considering they would have their PF of the future with Green)

PG: Jonny Flynn
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Corey Brewer
PF: Jeff Green
C: Al Jefferson

Pacers:

PG: Earl Watson
SG: Dahntay Jones
SF: Danny Granger
PF: Lamar Odom
C: Andrew Bynum

Celtics: (Assuming the Celts were still able to package Delonte West, Wally Szczerbiak and a pick for Ray Allen)

PG: Rajon Rondo
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: Jermaine O'Neal
C: Kendrick Perkins

Obviously there are all sorts of factors that would lead to different lineups (free agent signings, further trades, different draft choices etc.), but imagine these lineups... Lakers, T'Wolves and Pacers would all be better teams in my opinion and the Celts wouldn't have that 17th banner hanging from the rafters.

RaptorizedKevin
12-23-2009, 01:43 AM
wasnt there

chris bosh and tj ford for kobe?

jsumadchat
12-23-2009, 02:31 AM
VC for ray allen back in 2002.. shoulda went with that one instead of the deal that involved the bag of chips.

thephoenixson28
12-23-2009, 02:47 AM
What about the Lakers-Celtics-T'Wolves-Pacers mega deal that was in the works in the summer of 07?

http://thenastyboys.wordpress.com/2007/06/26/lakers-reportedly-in-trade-talks-involving-kevin-garnett/

Obviously, to an extent this trade still happened... Just between the Celts and T'Wolves but imagine the outlook of the league if the mega deal had gone down...

Lakers: (Assuming they still pull off daylight robbery for Gasol and sign Ron Artest)

PG: Derek Fisher
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Ron Artest
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Pau Gasol

T'Wolves: (Assuming they keep Mayo considering they would have their PF of the future with Green)

PG: Jonny Flynn
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Corey Brewer
PF: Jeff Green
C: Al Jefferson

Pacers:

PG: Earl Watson
SG: Dahntay Jones
SF: Danny Granger
PF: Lamar Odom
C: Andrew Bynum

Celtics: (Assuming the Celts were still able to package Delonte West, Wally Szczerbiak and a pick for Ray Allen)

PG: Rajon Rondo
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: Jermaine O'Neal
C: Kendrick Perkins

Obviously there are all sorts of factors that would lead to different lineups (free agent signings, further trades, different draft choices etc.), but imagine these lineups... Lakers, T'Wolves and Pacers would all be better teams in my opinion and the Celts wouldn't have that 17th banner hanging from the rafters. I'm not sure but KG rejected that trade if I remember. That's when kobe wanted to leave and Kg didn't like the management. KG only wanted to go to phoenix. But decided to go to boston.

NightMayer1558
12-23-2009, 02:55 AM

If I remember correctly, I think it was the Magic offering McGrady for the No. 1 pick (essentially Lebron). And this was the prime scoring champion McGrady, before all the injuries and regressions set in. Imagine if they did that and still got Dwight... :speechless:

Meanwhile, Kobe and KG? They wouldn't of even needed a center in the 2008 finals.

thephoenixson28
12-23-2009, 03:33 AM
It was actually shawn marion to the celtics, KG to phoenix, and the 5th pick and something packaged around that. But stoudemire was mentioned in the first trade but the suns rejected it. If shawn marion signed a 3 year extension with the celtics it would've been a done deal. Here is the website

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0925marion-ON.html

Ty Fast
12-23-2009, 03:47 AM
kobe to the bulls. i remember in about 94 or 95 there was going to be a shawn kemp for scottie pippen trade

thephoenixson28
12-23-2009, 03:59 AM
If atlanta would've ended up with the 5th pick and up KG would be in phoenix right now.

thephoenixson28
12-23-2009, 04:02 AM
kobe to the bulls. i remember in about 94 or 95 there was going to be a shawn kemp for scottie pippen trade Yeah Kobe wanted to go to chicago,phoenix, or new york. Damn I wished they traded him.

abe_froman
12-23-2009, 04:06 AM
kobe to the bulls.
still breaks my heart

Raph12
12-23-2009, 04:26 AM
VC for ray allen back in 2002.. shoulda went with that one instead of the deal that involved the bag of chips.

Lmao... so true.

B.JenningsMVP
12-23-2009, 05:12 AM
Amare to ATL
I remember them talking about this in the NBA Draft '08

Ty Fast
12-23-2009, 05:23 AM
still breaks my heart

me too

fredv
12-23-2009, 06:00 AM
I remember the Kobe for Tmac back in 2007. Too bad it didn't go through.

JordansBulls
12-23-2009, 09:40 AM
I remember the Kobe for Tmac back in 2007. Too bad it didn't go through.

In the other thread I mentioned this and people thought I was making it up. It was t-mac and a first for Kobe.

Hellcrooner
12-23-2009, 10:03 AM
charlotte offered a pick for old james worhty.

the pick ended up being larry grandmama johnson.

even if i was the biggets big game fan out there in 91 im still sour west didnt accept it.

with johnson, shaq and kobe we woudl have cutted short bulls second threepeat.

ChongInc.
12-23-2009, 10:27 AM

Great thread.
But your right. Those chips were stale.

jsumadchat
12-23-2009, 11:12 AM
heres another good one. TJ ford for Gerald Wallace. the cats were dumb enough to make the offer and we were much dumber to decline it.

Hellcrooner
12-23-2009, 11:31 AM
^well tj should have never been traded for villanueav hving jose on the roster to begin with...

avrpatsfan
12-23-2009, 11:33 AM
cool. Imagine having Jefferson and Garnett. Wow even though we wouldn't have pierce, I would prefer Jefferson

fredv
12-23-2009, 11:40 AM
In the other thread I mentioned this and people thought I was making it up. It was t-mac and a first for Kobe.

Thats because most people on the internet are ignorants/born in the 2000's

JordansBulls
12-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Thats because most people on the internet are ignorants/born in the 2000's

Yeah but that was 2007 in November

D Roses Bulls
12-23-2009, 04:10 PM
ChicagoTribune (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/1257547631.html?dids=1257547631:1257547631&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Apr+20%2C+2007&author=Gordie+Jones&pub=Chicago+Tribune&edition=&startpage=5&desc=Book+says+76ers+made+bid+to+trade+Dr.+J+for+J ordan)

Dr J was 34 in MJ's rookie year and only played 3 years at the point MJ came into the league. Not worth it. Maybe if they traded Moses Malone for the #3 pick in MJ, but not Dr J who was 34 years old.

http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/901/

Bulls were going to trade the #7 pick and a player to be named to Miami for the #5 pick in the 2003 draft to select Wade.

From 1982

Ralph Sampson would have left for the NBA early if the Lakers were guaranteed to get the #1 pick that year. Meanwhile, the Lakers were working on a blockbuster trade with 3 other teams (3rd team undisclosed). Here's how part of it would have shaped up --

Proposed Trade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-OoKxIGShw)

NY Knicks
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (from LAL)

LA Lakers
Michael Ray Richardson (from NYK)

Utah Jazz
Bill Cartwright (from NYK)

Imagine the Lakers trading Kareem during the playoffs! :eek: This was broadcast during halftime of Game 4 of the ECF (Sixers/Celtics) that year.

Those were just some of the near deals that happened.

Jun 26, 1997 - Another report had Van Horn going to Chicago as part of a trade for Scottie Pippen; that was one of a number of rumors involving the Bulls' all-star forward. ... Included in that group was high schooler Tracy McGrady,

I remember this one during the draft when the draft was on tnt. it was in the works and real close to getting done, but someone made a call to the front office and TNT by the name of Micahael Jordan and said and I quote, "If you trade Scottie, im retiring again". Thats why the trade never went down. The rumor deal was to the Celtics who at the time on losing out on Duncan had two lottery picks and the Bulls wanted the Celtics to draft McGrady and van horn or Billups with those picks.

Another one you didnt mention was after the 93-94 season and the Bulls were real close to dealing Scottie Pippen along with Horace Grant in a sign and trade to the Sonics for Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp.

JordansBulls
12-23-2009, 06:08 PM

I remember this one during the draft when the draft was on tnt. it was in the works and real close to getting done, but someone made a call to the front office and TNT by the name of Micahael Jordan and said and I quote, "If you trade Scottie, im retiring again". Thats why the trade never went down. The rumor deal was to the Celtics who at the time on losing out on Duncan had two lottery picks and the Bulls wanted the Celtics to draft McGrady and van horn or Billups with those picks.

Another one you didnt mention was after the 93-94 season and the Bulls were real close to dealing Scottie Pippen along with Horace Grant in a sign and trade to the Sonics for Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp.

I remember the Scottie for Kemp deal. Never heard of the Pippen and Grant for Payton and Kemp deal.

Ty Fast
12-23-2009, 09:10 PM
I remember the Scottie for Kemp deal. Never heard of the Pippen and Grant for Payton and Kemp deal.

holy crap. could you imagine have mj, kemp, payton, and rodman. you could have pluged me in that starting line up and they still would have won a title

Ty Fast
12-23-2009, 09:33 PM
I don’t know if this was close to happening but Boston was going to trade Paul Pierce to Chicago for Tyson Chandler and the #3 pick which was used to draft Ben Gordon

JordansBulls
12-24-2009, 12:50 AM
holy crap. could you imagine have mj, kemp, payton, and rodman. you could have pluged me in that starting line up and they still would have won a title

Rodman would never have been on the team because Kemp would have been the rebounder.

JordansBulls
12-24-2009, 12:51 AM
I don’t know if this was close to happening but Boston was going to trade Paul Pierce to Chicago for Tyson Chandler and the #3 pick which was used to draft Ben Gordon

I wished that had happened.

SA5195
12-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Raptors. TJ Ford for Gerald Wallace

G Wallace and Bosh. Damn!! Wish it happened!

JordansBulls
12-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Another was Deng, Chandler and the #2 pick for Kevin Garnett.

spreadeagle
12-24-2009, 10:17 AM
I remember A Ray Allen for Vince Carter trade talked about alot when he was on Toronto....Would have been great for both teams.Vince might have saved the franchise in Seattle with some excitment,and a Bosh/Allen duo would have been great in Toronto

Gators123
12-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Last summer Celtics offered....

Ray Allen
Rondo

for

Tayshaun Prince
Rip Hamilton
Rodney Stuckey

fredv
12-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah but that was 2007 in November

I know that..

marcmavs
12-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Summer 2004

Shaq for Dirk (I remember during draft day, espn said Shaq would go to Dallas)

Cuban would have kept Nash and Fin

Nash
Finley
Walker (?)
Jamison
Shaq

At least one title the following year

JordansBulls
12-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Summer 2004

Shaq for Dirk (I remember during draft day, espn said Shaq would go to Dallas)

Cuban would have kept Nash and Fin

Nash
Finley
Walker (?)
Jamison
Shaq

At least one title the following year

LA wasn't going to trade Shaq to someone that could burn LA though in the playoffs.

Ty Fast
12-24-2009, 01:25 PM
l.a would have traded shaq to the mavs, but dallas did not want to trade dirk. that is why they dallas got all those picks from i think washington and drafted devin harris so they could try to trade them to l.a. if dallas was willing to part with dirk then l.a definitely would have pulled the trigger but mark cuban said he would not trade dirk.

Ty Fast
12-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Another was Deng, Chandler and the #2 pick for Kevin Garnett.

who was the #2 pcik?

runforrestrunx9
12-24-2009, 01:29 PM

really?

Verbal Christ
12-24-2009, 01:30 PM
the rockets had offered ralph sampson to the bulls for their pick in the 84 draft as well, imagine a tandem of MJ and Dream?

JordansBulls
12-29-2009, 05:56 PM
who was the #2 pcik?

I believe the Twolves wanted Tyrus Thomas at the time.

This is a huge reason why we got Ben Wallace that summer. We wanted a KG/Wallace frontcourt with Hinrich and Gordon in the backcourt and Nocioni at SF.

ldc62
12-29-2009, 08:43 PM

Nice try... If you are going to post something like this, at least give a source.

BADizzleBoY
12-29-2009, 08:45 PM
I don't remember who it was gonna be to, I think it was gonna be to Miami. But in the summer/may of 2007 Kobe was reportedly asking to be traded. Any of you guys remember this?

ldc62
12-29-2009, 08:46 PM
heres another good one. TJ ford for Gerald Wallace. the cats were dumb enough to make the offer and we were much dumber to decline it.

As I recall, we wanted a 2nd round pick. They didn't want to give one up so we declined.... Guess what? The pick was to draft Nathan Jawai, who btw got traded for scraps this summer.

ldc62
12-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Last summer Celtics offered....

Ray Allen
Rondo

for

Tayshaun Prince
Rip Hamilton
Rodney Stuckey

Not a bad trade, but could see why Dumars rejected. Ray is getting old and Rodney stuckey and Prince are still young guys. Also Rodney Stucky has potential to be better (not better right now) than Rondo (I'm not a hater, but Rondo can't shoot for ****).

ldc62
12-29-2009, 08:52 PM
who was the #2 pcik?

The 2nd pick was actually Lamarcus ALdridge, not Tyrus because the Bulls traded the 2nd to Portland for the 4th and something.

#1Mavericksfan
12-30-2009, 11:44 AM
When Kobe wanted to be traded.....

Josh Howard + Devin Harris + Jason Terry + Greg Buckner and Cash for Kobe

That's what the Mavs offered for Kobe and the Lakers said no and I wasn't even shocked but then the Lakers asked for a Dirk for Kobe deal and Cuban said no, Kobe said he would have accepted to Dallas only if Dirk was there also and the deal fell apart.

JordansBulls
12-30-2009, 02:01 PM
When Kobe wanted to be traded.....

Josh Howard + Devin Harris + Jason Terry + Greg Buckner and Cash for Kobe

That's what the Mavs offered for Kobe and the Lakers said no and I wasn't even shocked but then the Lakers asked for a Dirk for Kobe deal and Cuban said no, Kobe said he would have accepted to Dallas only if Dirk was there also and the deal fell apart.

I didnt know the Mavs offered that type of package.

jimbobjarree
12-30-2009, 02:52 PM
The Jazz, it's been learned and confirmed, engaged in recent trade talk with the Houston Rockets about a possible deal that would have brought seven-time NBA All-Star swingman Tracy McGrady to Utah for small forward Andrei Kirilenko.

The Jazz, however, have no current desire to make the trade — for reasons including, but not necessarily limited to, McGrady's health situation and contract status.

McGrady, 30, underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in May of 2008 and microfracture surgery on the same problematic knee late last February. He also has a history of back problems, played just 35 games last season, may or may not be able to play more than that next season and is the subject of frequent trade rumors.

At $23.23 million in the final year of his existing contract, McGrady also will be the NBA's highest-paid player next season.

Kirilenko, 28 and a one-time All-Star small forward, is due $16.44 million in 2009-10 — meaning one or more other players would have to be included to make such a swap conform to NBA trade rules, which call for next season's salaries to match within 25 percent.

And unless the Jazz included enough additional salary in such a trade to trump McGrady's number, Utah — as its payroll stands now — would be taking on added luxury-tax burden.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705314842/Utah-Jazz-talked-Kirilenko-for-McGrady-trade.html

coulda happened over the summer

JordansBulls
01-17-2010, 10:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1108251/index.htm

Back in 1988, when he was one of the Celtics' backcourt starters, he was seated at a table with Bird, forward Kevin McHale and team president Red Auerbach during the organization's Christmas party. At the time Boston was reportedly considering trades that would have sent Bird and McHale to the Indiana Pacers and Dallas Mavericks, respectively. "Look at these two guys," Ainge told Auerbach, over the surrounding conversations of other players and their families. "Larry's got casts on his feet [from surgery to remove bone spurs in both heels], Kevin's got a screw in his foot [to repair a stress fracture]—you've got to trade these guys." Everyone laughed at Ainge's typical audacity, but he wasn't joking. "I would have traded Larry Bird," he insists today

topdog
01-17-2010, 11:01 PM
A couple recent ones that might have kept KG in Minny - Szcerbiak for Artest and about a year later A.I. to MN for a package built around (drum roll please)... Randy Foye, the rookie and summer league MVP.

Shortys4711
01-17-2010, 11:52 PM
The KG to phoenix deal still stings, just thoughts of what could have been.

kozelkid
01-18-2010, 12:00 AM
2 deals that absolutely kill me.
1. Bulls rejected trading 7th pick and DONYELL MARSHALL for the 5th pick in the 2003 draft that turned out to be Dwyane ****ing Wade.
2. Bulls wouldn't trade Jay Williams and the 7th pick for Denver's third pick which turned out to be Carmelo Anthony.

Chacarron
01-18-2010, 12:11 AM
A package built around Bynum for Kidd was also in place, but Lakers wouldn't pull the trigger. This is the season when Kobe talked bad about Bynum.

Avenged
01-18-2010, 12:21 AM
2 deals that absolutely kill me.
1. Bulls rejected trading 7th pick and DONYELL MARSHALL for the 5th pick in the 2003 draft that turned out to be Dwyane ****ing Wade.
2. Bulls wouldn't trade Jay Williams and the 7th pick for Denver's third pick which turned out to be Carmelo Anthony.

Im not even a Bulls fan, but that hurts!